Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Its not on the list of locations on the Garda website.
    That wouldn't stop them though I'm sure:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Monard is a speed-trap zone now. Also the 80km section between Tipp Town and Limerick Junction. There's often a red mobile speed camera van along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Tremelo wrote: »
    Monard is a speed-trap zone now. Also the 80km section between Tipp Town and Limerick Junction. There's often a red mobile speed camera van along there.

Monard has always been a speed trap zone they love it there haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

DaveJac wrote: »
    Monard has always been a speed trap zone they love it there haha

Just back from Monard myself, Tried 4 petrol stations for air for tyres, Oola , Monard , both stations on Limerick road, not one of them worked right, the one at Topaz in Tipp town was real dark so couldnt see the gauge, had to stop in Mitchelstown for it..

Im not joking but the N24 is a road that would make you scream, with people crawling and refusing to use hard shoulders...

charlemont wrote: »

Im not joking but the N24 is a road that would make you scream, with people crawling and refusing to use hard shoulders...

Makes me scream on a daily basis, along with the loathsome N74. Bridge works starting on the Oola railway bridge next week I think, so even more frustrations are in order. We won't have any movement on the Pallasgreen to Cahir dual carriageway scheme until 2016 at the earliest I'd say, and even then it'll probably take 2 years to build it.

• Advertisement

Just back from Monard myself, Tried 4 petrol stations for air for tyres, Oola , Monard , both stations on Limerick road, not one of them worked right, the one at Topaz in Tipp town was real dark so couldnt see the gauge, had to stop in Mitchelstown for it..

I used the one in monard today working grand?

I used the one in monard today working grand?

The gauge was al over the place when i tried it yesterday, so obviously couldnt get a correct reading from it..

The gauge was al over the place when i tried it yesterday, so obviously couldnt get a correct reading from it..

ah right i didnt really care i was pumping the tyres rock solid 60psi i think haha,

Whats annoying me is the road up to monard village is grand road after it is grand, the road down to Sologhead is grand once you pass the hall, its shocking been years since the village was done needs something done asap

ah right i didnt really care i was pumping the tyres rock solid 60psi i think haha,

Whats annoying me is the road up to monard village is grand road after it is grand, the road down to Sologhead is grand once you pass the hall, its shocking been years since the village was done needs something done asap

That bit of road is shocking alright, the bit by the entrance to An Cúirt Monard is like something that was shelled in a war zone, The road where you take a left turn to go under the railway bridge is a disgrace, There by the bridge is actually where the Pallasgreen to Bansha road will be going if its ever built..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I'm dreading heading through Oola on the way home this evening with the roadworks due to start on the bridge. It is going to be a nightmare for the next 4 months!

• Advertisement

Celtxx wrote: »
    I'm dreading heading through Oola on the way home this evening with the roadworks due to start on the bridge. It is going to be a nightmare for the next 4 months!

Four months????

Four months????

ya 4 months, the bridge is in a fairly bad way needs major work to be brought up to a proper standard, bridge work can be akward espically on railways when you have to stop working before a train comes etc so it can be slow work too

The bridge is nineteenth-century and completely deficient no matter what they do to it.
    You cannot polish a turd, but that is exactly what all the roadworks along the N24 in the past 12 months have been about. We need a completely new type 2 dual carriageway N24.

couldnt agree more from limerick to waterford id say i will have plenty of grey hairs before it happens though

The road where you take a left turn to go under the railway bridge is a disgrace, There by the bridge is actually where the Pallasgreen to Bansha road will be going if its ever built..

that bit of road has always been bad, the trucks going down to the mine just tear it up, after the bridge used to be bad too until the road was done dont know why they couldnt have just done an extra few meters that time

So the bridge in Oola has been down to one lane for 2 weeks at this stage and I have yet to see any work being done. Surely if they were not ready to start they could have left it open a bit longer.

Luckily enough I have yet to see any major delays here so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

So the bridge in Oola has been down to one lane for 2 weeks at this stage and I have yet to see any work being done. Surely if they were not ready to start they could have left it open a bit longer.

Luckily enough I have yet to see any major delays here so far.

It's supposed to be closed for months. What exactly are they doing to it? The two lanes on that bridge are tiny so it's hard to know what work they can do on one side that will not impact on the other side 2 feet away. If it's a major structural project I wouldn't want to be next behind a heavily loaded truck going over it.

I use that bridge twice per day most days. No work has been done since the cones were put up. Maybe they've been busy painting new lines in Tipp town. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Drove through here today,cones are down but no work seems to have started yet.
    Who is supposed to be doing work i.e Co Co or Iarnrod Eireann ?

It's been one lane for about a month now with no sign of activity. Unless they are working on the bridge structure below the road but I have not seen any evidence of that. Crazy!

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Drove through here today,cones are down but no work seems to have started yet.
    Who is supposed to be doing work i.e Co Co or Iarnrod Eireann ?

Iarnrod Eireann look after all the bridges, the roads up to the bridges are the Councils but then all bridges are IE's resonsability

the railway bridge in oola and brookes bridge between oola and pallas green are going to be taken down and rebulit they are gone too far to be repaired, plans are to do take them down and rebuild them at the same time In October, this will mean some serious diversions

Prior Information Notice for M7/N24 Ballysimon Junction Road Improvement Scheme: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUN230215
    The Contract comprises the execution and completion of the M7/N24 Ballysimon Grade Separated Junction Upgrade, including without limitation the provision of:
    - An upgrade of the existing grade-separated junction to increase capacity and reduce delays;
    - Approximately 2 kilometres of four lane carriageway on N24;
    - An at-grade junction with old N24;
    - Various landscape, environmental and mitigation Works;
    - Various fencing, safety barrier systems and drainage Works;
    - Various signing, lining and lighting Works;
    - Various earthworks associated with additional lanes on motorway slips;
    - Various traffic signal apparatus;
    - Various Works including diversions of the assets of the Authorities, Utilities and Service Providers and Private Utility Services;
    - Various ancillary Works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well it's a start I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

mfitzy wrote: »
    Well it's a start I guess...
    Its not even that. That is only a Prior Information Notice, not an Invitation to Tender.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Its not even that. That is only a Prior Information Notice, not an Invitation to Tender.

Well spotted actually. What's the purpose of a PIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

Well, from the bottom of that notice, it looks like the following:
    Record your interest in this notice and you will be automatically sent clarifications and deadline date changes etc. Please note that recording your interest does not automatically enter you into the tender process for this notice, you still have to submit your response by the deadline stated. To record an interest in this notice and add it to your interests list please click the Record your interest now button at the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Here we go, Invitation to Tender released today;

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL246375&catID=243

Its a two stage tender with works expected to cost approximately €2million. Tender documents to be dispatched in early September.
    PINs are to inform people that a project should be coming to tender soon. It is totally irrelevant though, its a bit like saying Metro North will proceed subjuct to funding - it means nothing until the funding is secured. Likewise, a project for which a PIN has been issued could be pulled at any time. Issuing a PIN on etenders is pointless, I have recorded an interest in PINs before but it doesnt inform you when tender docs are released, you have to find the Invitation to Tender for yourself.

I heard today that the EIS for the Pallasgreen to Cahir scheme has been released. I'm going to try to get a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

I heard today that the EIS for the Pallasgreen to Cahir scheme has been released. I'm going to try to get a copy.

That will be a short report. No money. No road. No environmental impact.

Advertisement