Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential return of Severe Cold from mid February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

GFS 06z has dumped the easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

GFS 06z has dumped the easterly.
    All us snow lovers are clutching at straws at the moment, the models can't make up their minds, I think we can safely forget about snow on lower ground, I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

200motels wrote: »
    All us snow lovers are clutching at straws at the moment, the models can't make up their minds, I think we can safely forget about snow on lower ground, I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.:-(

Well you would not of said this if you had seen the 0z.

Momentum this morning was turning in the cold direction but this was abruptly halted in the 6z.

However lots of ECM ensembles go for cold.

This is still very uncertain.

There is still the poss that we get hit with battle ground snow.

Dan, I've tried following this on Netweather too but I can't. Can you explain, what is a "shortwave"?
    It's a fancy name for a depression or area of low pressure.

Well you would not of said this if you had seen the 0z.

Momentum this morning was turning in the cold direction but this was abruptly halted in the 6z.

However lots of ECM ensembles go for cold.

This is still very uncertain.

There is still the poss that we get hit with battle ground snow.
    I know I saw both of them and it's doing my head in. Let's hope for a better picture when the later models roll out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Some really black clouds moving in over cobh,looks like rain:(

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Snowing in Cork out by Blarney for the last 15 minutes. Quite wet but sticking. Decking is covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Flan_Da_Man125

wet snow here also! and sticking. its been falling for the last 40 min. near ballincollig

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

snow showers on an off here in south tipp also...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Siobhan "in the mix" Ryan has just finished her Weather Forecast there on RTE1 - temps will hit 11oC this weekend with rain.

Moderators, please close this thread.

It has now become totally non-relevant to current weather. No sign of any "severe cold spell" (unless you go into FI, but then the next day the cold spell is still 7 days out!)

Time to call it a day! :D . Any moderator going to stand up and finally lock the thread? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Should probably give the models one last chance to change their mind.

(should this be in the dating forum perhaps?) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

The year Britain froze just started on more4 for anyone interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

derekon wrote: »
    Siobhan "in the mix" Ryan has just finished her Weather Forecast there on RTE1 - temps will hit 11oC this weekend with rain.

Moderators, please close this thread.

It has now become totally non-relevant to current weather. No sign of any "severe cold spell" (unless you go into FI, but then the next day the cold spell is still 7 days out!)

Time to call it a day! :D . Any moderator going to stand up and finally lock the thread? :cool:

there is no need for every thread to be locked because the situation has changed slightly from the title, it was always a long shot that this cold spell would happen, and as it stands its still a long shot. We would have an awful lot of locked threads if they were locked every time a forecast changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Time to call it a day! :D
    Close the door on your way out , we are happy enough where we are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

there is no need for every thread to be locked because the situation has changed slightly from the title, it was always a long shot that this cold spell would happen, and as it stands its still a long shot. We would have an awful lot of locked threads if they were locked every time a forecast changed!
    i think derekon wants to be proven right after the tread he started :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah keep at it lads the dissapointment will be immense ;)

df1985 wrote: »
    The year Britain froze just started on more4 for anyone interested.
    I saw it on CH4 a few weeks ago and it was total rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

delw wrote: »
    i think derekon wants to be proven right after the tread he started :rolleyes:
    Well he was wrong then
    is it time to declare that there will be no more snow in Ireland for winter 2010/2011?

Four inches of snow last week in Donegal and Derry. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I take it from the silence here this morning all is quiet down south. Cold calm morning here. 0.8c with DP 0.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

irish1967 wrote: »
    I take it from the silence here this morning all is quiet down south. Cold calm morning here. 0.8c with DP 0.7c

Yep... lots and lots of rain!!:(
    Current temp, 5.7c
    Dew point, 4.8c
    ESE wind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

think its time to lock this thread down, its mid feb, theres no ''real'' snow or cold temps and thankfully nothing but mild air on the way for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Its all rain here in Galway, horrible dreary morning. Snow would be welcome over this.

why do people wanna lock the thread ??? jus dont go into this thread like !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

NIALL D wrote: »
    why do people wanna lock the thread ??? jus dont go into this thread like !!!!

probably because there aint no snow, its not cold and mild weather is on the way for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Why not just ignore the thread rather than wanting it locked. Back seat modding. You gotta love it :)

Still a slim chance that the cold might push in. It's still mid February.

Just because it didn't snow? The thread isn't about 'snow' it's 'Severe Cold'

yeah , as above ^^ jus ignore the thread .. jus because its not locked doesnt mean ya have to go into it..
    as said there is a chance of cold returning , so we'l jus have to wait an see what happens :rolleyes::P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think we will see big changes over the next couple of runs towards a much colder second half of the month with pressure rising over Greenland. I think we will see a much more solid evolution towards colder weather emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

haha where are you getting this from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Once we get a link between the area of hp over Scandinavia and a pressure rise over Greenland then it only goes toward a cold Northeasterly or Easterly airflow. UKMO shows this possibility now. It's much more favourable.

Rukm1441.gif

This may take a few days to evolve on the models but the ingredients are nearly there. The one caveat is the high pressure to the South. We would want to see that weaken a good bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think we will see big changes over the next couple of runs towards a much colder second half of the month with pressure rising over Greenland. I think we will see a much more solid evolution towards colder weather emerging.

its a bird,its a plane,eh no, once again its darkman coming to save the day.nice one darkman,you keep all(or most)of our hopes up.keep the faith and may the force be with you :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement