Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential return of Severe Cold from mid February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

BIG upgrade on the 12z's so far -

GFS is much better at +120hrs, as is the UKMO, Easterly showing on both!

00z ECM has an easterly as well, hopefully the 12z will keep the trend going... :)

BOM will have to be taken seriously if this comes off! :eek:

Dan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    BIG upgrade on the 12z's so far -

GFS is much better at +120hrs, as is the UKMO, Easterly showing on both!

00z ECM has an easterly as well, hopefully the 12z will keep the trend going... :)

BOM will have to be taken seriously if this comes off! :eek:

Dan :cool:

None of those models are showing 850hpa uppers colder than -2 reacing us from that easterly, it may as well be a swesterly.:(

In the meantime,courtesy of Arklows facebook page,I'll remind ye of Xmas week...
    I wouldn't rule out a repeat in the east if the synoptics get their act together! all eyes to tonights ecm.

A jeep being pulled up Arklows main st dec 23rd [no other way up it at that stage]

9394a.jpg

A nice Xmas eve for a day at Arklows south beach!

80519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    None of those models are showing 850hpa uppers colder than -2 reacing us from that easterly, it may as well be a swesterly.:(

Bah Humbug;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

so unsurprisingly the ''potentially return to cold air'' looks like its not happening now, think i saw atlantic weather pushing back in next thursday, and thank god, you cant beat the bit of warmth in the sun, the grass starting to grow, buds appearing on the trees, ah yes keep them westerlys blowing in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

so unsurprisingly the ''potentially return to cold air'' looks like its not happening now, think i saw atlantic weather pushing back in next thursday, and thank god, you cant beat the bit of warmth in the sun, the grass starting to grow, buds appearing on the trees, ah yes keep them westerlys blowing in. :)

This is a common thread on the weather board, my friend. Particularly in terms of cold weather in Ireland. Any predictions of snow should be taken with a large pinch of salt unless they are in the reliable timeframe - ie 48 to 72 hours out. :D

derekon wrote: »
    This is a common thread on the weather board, my friend. Particularly in terms of cold weather in Ireland. Any predictions of snow should be taken with a large pinch of salt unless they are in the reliable timeframe - ie 48 to 72 hours out. :D

oh believe me i know its a common thread, but i only believe it'll snow when i see it falling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

must you always spoil the party daddy cool :(

fizzycyst wrote: »
    must you always spoil the party daddy cool :(

yes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunday night and Monday could see a lot of wintry precipitation with white roads in the morning in places:)

As for the rest of the week the end of the week is a 6 of one scenario so who knows....even the models are admitting defeat

• Advertisement

also daddy cool, I hope you realise that I hold you personally responsible for the lack of snow atm :mad:

fizzycyst wrote: »
    also daddy cool, I hope you realise that I hold you personally responsible for the lack of snow atm :mad:

ha ok i can live with that :), nice drop of rain here in meath now :D

we'll see who's laughing when the blizzards arrive......(I wish!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

And those so called blizzards could very well arrive.still not resolved on models yet as to whether the cold actually get pushed far enough west to affect us.fi is less than hundred hours at the moment. The niggling atlantic lows might not play ball with us while the uk farther east basks in snowy scenes.not over yet.

redsunset wrote: »
    And those so called blizzards could very well arrive.still not resolved on models yet as to whether the cold actually get pushed far enough west to affect us.fi is less than hundred hours at the moment. The niggling atlantic lows might not play ball with us while the uk farther east basks in snowy scenes.not over yet.
    a bit of positive talk, I like it redsunset :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmynippy

just back from helsinki today,-15 today and they were talking -36 next week.There is certainly a very cold pool out East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

This one seems to be to be similar to the dumping that Letterkenny got last week. The systems were not agreeing, it seemed it would turn out to be a lot of nothing and then there was a nice dumping of snow :D

.....yes yes i know... ramp building in progress.. but no snow to occupy me with building snowmen :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It has the potential to be another epic snowfall but at the same time we might get nothing but rain, just depends how far west the cold manages to push. Britain, especially in the east is looking good at the moment but from my limited knowledge it looks like the Atlantic is going to be too strong here going by current charts. Really fine margins though so its going to be an interesting day tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can someone point me to a chart that suggests any proper cold never mind snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Other than the very cold spell which ended about 6 weeks ago (and this was very unusual) as far as I can see there has been little sign of our normal winter, at least down here in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I doesn't look cold enough to me. Wish those deep depressions would just sweep over us instead. Looks like we just get a war between the systems that ends in stalemate.

The weekly Farming Forecast has just been presented on RTE1 by Siobhan "I'm afraid" Ryan.

Week ahead - mixed bag of rain , some sleet and possibly snow on higher ground. To be followed by milder conditions next weekend.

I think we can truly knock this "potentiat return of severe cold from mid February" post on the head now. Time to lock the thread moderators? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The weekly Farming Forecast has just been presented on RTE1 by Siobhan "I'm afraid" Ryan.

Week ahead - mixed bag of rain , some sleet and possibly snow on higher ground. To be followed by milder conditions next weekend.

I think we can truly knock this "potentiat return of severe cold from mid February" post on the head now. Time to lock the thread moderators? :D

Time to pack up the rollercoaster til next winter I'm afraid:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Can someone point me to a chart that suggests any proper cold never mind snow.

The greatest snowfalls in Ireland don't usually occur in proper cold conditions- they occur in marginal situations between milder air and colder air where there is an ongoing stalemate. However, it's unlikely what will occur next week will lead to a significant snowfall here, as 9 times out of 10 we are unlucky , but such scenarios in the past have led to big snowfalls in Ireland. Also quite often our greatest snowfalls aren't always flagged in advance by the models due to the uncertainty in such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Siobhan Ryan is a warm person at heart, just like myself.

We might get some snow during the first half of the week but then the mild weather returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Week ahead - mixed bag of rain in the mix, some sleet in the mixand possibly snow in the mix on higher ground. To be followed by milder conditions in the mixnext weekend.

what she normally says . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

what she normally says . .:P
    Wintry precipitation was mentioned!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's a classic marginal frontal situation coming through next week particularly the latter stages. We are not far away at all from a very cold Easterly. Heavy frontal snow is definately a risk.

EDM0-144.GIF?13-12

Extremely cold air to the Northeast and the milder Atlantic air always trying to break through.

gfs-2-144.png?12

darkman2 wrote: »
    It's a classic marginal frontal situation coming through next week particularly the latter stages. We are not far away at all from a very cold Easterly. Heavy frontal snow is definately a risk.

EDM0-144.GIF?13-12

Extremely cold air to the Northeast and the milder Atlantic air always trying to break through.

gfs-2-144.png?12

Well if this is the case, why did the Farming Forecast allude to milder conditions next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmynippy

She didn't seem too sure and used the words "it looks like".Hedging her bets i think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement