Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential return of Severe Cold from mid February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Time to fill up the oil tanks again..gonna get real cold:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

*insert mandatory warning about not getting your hopes up here*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Far out in FI i have to go to get any hint of cold....

bom1240.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

*insert mandatory warning about not getting your hopes up here*

:D
    when the world says "give up" hope whispers "try it one more time"

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think we will see big changes over the next couple of runs towards a much colder second half of the month with pressure rising over Greenland. I think we will see a much more solid evolution towards colder weather emerging.

I really admire your enthusiasm for cold & snow Darkman2, however I think even you have to call it a day in repect of this potential cold spell !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just saw a very apt facebook group called: getting really excited about something and them realising its not going to happen. :(

fairplay to darkman for at least making the effort to post though, we appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

so now that the severe cold weather for mid february didnt arrive, its now coming for the 2nd half of the month, and when that doesnt arrive, will it move to march, april, may, or maybe june, i like reading these potential predictions but maybe it might be best not to predict so far in advance when anything can happen and usually does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just to let people know, it was on BBC northern Ireland last night that the cold and clear nights ahead will give people in the north of the country a good chance to see the Aurora Borealis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Sky%20Events%20Now.html

Some pics from two nights ago, just across the border in Derry. Doubt I'd be able to see them with the sky a constant orange from all the lights but I'm sure they'd be visible in most parts of Donegal as well

As for the cold, I've all but given up at this stage for anything major happening. Its amazing how optimistic this thread has managed to stay considering we've had literally nothing for nearly 2 months now, snow is still on the cards obviously but I dont want snow if its not accompanied by real cold and at this stage I'm just looking forward to spring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Harps wrote: »
    http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Sky%20Events%20Now.html

As for the cold, I've all but given up at this stage for anything major happening. Its amazing how optimistic this thread has managed to stay considering we've had literally nothing for nearly 2 months now, snow is still on the cards obviously but I dont want snow if its not accompanied by real cold and at this stage I'm just looking forward to spring again.

There were winters in the nineties where we were lucky to scrape a day or two of snow. We've been spoiled in the last two years. The norm for us is transitory snow of a day or two, not sustained cold. If we didn't experience the unusually conditions of the last two years, i suspect you'd have been happy just to see 4 inches of snow for a brief time last week.

Anyway spring can wait as far as i'm concerned, we go long enough in the year without snow.

• Advertisement

so now that the severe cold weather for mid february didnt arrive, its now coming for the 2nd half of the month, and when that doesnt arrive, will it move to march, april, may, or maybe june, i like reading these potential predictions but maybe it might be best not to predict so far in advance when anything can happen and usually does

No doubt during last December's big freeze, you thought threads far in advance discussing the potential of warmer weather in that month were pointless. The whole point of this forum is to discuss and speculate about what's going to happen weatherwise. The forum would be rather boring otherwise. If you still think such threads are futile, you have the choice not to read them.

There were winters in the nineties where we were lucky to scrape a day or two of snow. We've been spoiled in the last two years. The norm for us is transitory snow of a day or two, not sustained cold. If we didn't experience the unusually conditions of the last two years, i suspect you'd have been happy just to see 4 inches of snow for a brief time last week.

Anyway spring can wait as far as i'm concerned, we go long enough in the year without snow.

Of course I'd have been happy, we've been massively spoilt in the past 3 winters, this one in particular.

Its just after experiencing almost a full month of dry, powdery snow on the ground, walking ankle deep in slush didnt have any novelty to it whatsoever.

I'd still be happy to get more snow but at this stage anything we get will probably turn to slush so I'd rather have a repeat of today which was the first day in months I've been able to walk to college without needing a coat

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

i suppose you never know and cant predict too far away but it really doesn't look likely for the retuen of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

A lot of people seem to be dissapointed by our recent weather. I suppose that is fair enough as we were absolutely spoiled (in Dublin anyway) in November and December. I suppose what we have reverted to is a more traditional winter in Ireland, from my memories anyway.

However I feel that this winter was momentus in one aspect and is one that I know I will be talking about for years to come. That is the near 20 -25 degree shift in temperatures that we had in the space of 24 hours on 26th December 2010.

I have not been following weather for very long and I bow to those with great knowledge in this forum but for me that alone made this winter one of the most remarkable in years......

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I'm really sad. It seems like years since we had the lovely snow in December. Now Spring seems to have fully arrived, warm sunshine and buds appearing everywhere. It would seem to be taking a step backward if we had any type of sustained cold now.
    I have to say I am very disappointed and Winter 2009/2010 was much more memorable as a winter than this one - White Christmas, cold that lasted til at least February, frozen rivers and lakes. This winter was only truly remarkable if you lived in Dublin, the west didn't get feet of snow and it was only for a month at the start of Winter.
    OK I know I am acting spoiled by saying this winter wasn't great. It was great compared to the damp squid we usually get. But it just seems so far away. The rest of the winter was so non-descript.
    I think I am just very frustrated that we didn't get a last Snow-down of the winter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm really sad. It seems like years since we had the lovely snow in December. Now Spring seems to have fully arrived, warm sunshine and buds appearing everywhere. It would seem to be taking a step backward if we had any type of sustained cold now.
    I have to say I am very disappointed and Winter 2009/2010 was much more memorable as a winter than this one - White Christmas, cold that lasted til at least February, frozen rivers and lakes. This winter was only truly remarkable if you lived in Dublin, the west didn't get feet of snow and it was only for a month at the start of Winter.
    OK I know I am acting spoiled by saying this winter wasn't great. It was great compared to the damp squid we usually get. But it just seems so far away. The rest of the winter was so non-descript.
    I think I am just very frustrated that we didn't get a last Snow-down of the winter :(

I don't see how you are disapointed that we are getting milder weather, if anything its been too long coming. No disruption to traffic networks because of snow, no loss of earnings because people can't get to work - whats there to be disapointed about? I'm sure snow is lovely if the only thing you do is walk in it, but for motorists or any sort of employee who is on the road as part of their job, its the last thing anybody wants to see. I'm glad it never managed a comeback and it can stay the hell away now until late November (and if we're lucky we might just get a wet and cold winter this year without a sign of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

DarkJager wrote: »
    I don't see how you are disapointed that we are getting milder weather, if anything its been too long coming. No disruption to traffic networks because of snow, no loss of earnings because people can't get to work - whats there to be disapointed about? I'm sure snow is lovely if the only thing you do is walk in it, but for motorists or any sort of employee who is on the road as part of their job, its the last thing anybody wants to see. I'm glad it never managed a comeback and it can stay the hell away now until late November (and if we're lucky we might just get a wet and cold winter this year without a sign of it).
    I have to disagree with you, how come the Europeans seem to have no problem with snow, they can go to work, drive etc. I love the snow and the more we get the better. We're going to get some more before the season is out, first week in March is when I think we'll have some snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

200motels wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you, how come the Europeans seem to have no problem with snow, they can go to work, drive etc. I love the snow and the more we get the better. We're going to get some more before the season is out, first week in March is when I think we'll have some snow.

Because our climate here is generally wet and mild throughout the year, and lets face it; snow is a rare occurence in this climate and when it does happen everything grinds to a halt. We're not getting anymore snow this season, its now spring and the outlook is for mild weather, nothing coming our way in the next few weeks has any chance of giving snow falls. Any suggestions on how it can snow when we have double figure temps on the way? Its gone so just forget about it until November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Even though the second half of the winter was quite boring and snowless, I am still 100% satisfied...cmon guys, when on earth do you get 50cm + accumulations of snow in the space of a month in Dublin? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

200motels wrote: »

Because every year without doubt they will get the same weather and spend money accordingly. You'd be hard pressed to justify spending millions on snow preparation each year if little or snow appears most winters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

patneve2 wrote: »
    Even though the second half of the winter was quite boring and snowless, I am still 100% satisfied...cmon guys, when on earth do you get 50cm + accumulations of snow in the space of a month in Dublin? :eek:

That was in Dublin. In Waterford we had nothing after early December. The week or so we had lying snow will make it memorable for me as we rarely get snow here but the vast majority of the winter has been disappointing. Everybody
    will have different opinions based on their location i think.

. Any suggestions on how it can snow when we have double figure temps on the way?

The weather is variable. We can get temperatures of 15-16 degrees in March, which are sometimes replaced by a brief wintry blast from the north at some point in the month. Indeed we can get snow into April. So to confidently dismiss that we'll see no more snow is a mistake.

I dont see how anyone can really complain about this Winter, fair enough Waterford, Clare and other places in the south didnt get anything much but then its very rare to get much snow down there.

The whole of Ulster got our biggest snowfall in 25 years, same in north Connaucht, the East Coast had two massive snowfalls, Cork got its best snowfall in years, we had one of the earliest widespread snowfalls on record and the coldest December on record.

I've been luckier than most here and we've had 4 notable events in November, December, January and February with a combined total of approx 60cm which is massive and totally drawfs last year.

The past 6 weeks have been boring but in hindsight nobody wont remember January and will remember the Winter for the epic events of November and December

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Harps wrote: »
    I dont see how anyone can really complain about this Winter, fair enough Waterford, Clare and other places in the south didnt get anything much but then its very rare to get much snow down there.

The whole of Ulster got our biggest snowfall in 25 years, same in north Connaucht, the East Coast had two massive snowfalls, Cork got its best snowfall in years, we had one of the earliest widespread snowfalls on record and the coldest December on record.

I've been luckier than most here and we've had 4 notable events in November, December, January and February with a combined total of approx 60cm which is massive and totally drawfs last year.

The past 6 weeks have been boring but in hindsight nobody wont remember January and will remember the Winter for the epic events of November and December

Waterford got their heaviest snow since 1982. Here we had 3 seperate falls of 6 inches on Nov 27th/Dec 04th and Dec 7th appart from the lighter stuff. For an normally snowless winter down here it was epic :D We only got sprinkled on in the later Dec spell but i didnt care by then ;)

Not to get peoples hopes up but a slight upgrade on GFS . Cold moves 500 miles to the east compared with previous run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Not to get peoples hopes up but a slight upgrade on GFS . Cold moves 500 miles to the east compared with previous run.

How far into FI ?

between 72 and 120 hours. Still no Where near Ireland but it'll be interesting to see the next runs as past 48 hours the models seem to be all over the place. I mean huge changes in the last 2 runs

I don't think even the hardiest of us snow lovers would want this to happen. I mean this would be a national disaster!

loluy.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I don't think even the hardiest of us snow lovers would want this to happen. I mean this would be a national disaster!

loluy.png

LOL, +372 hours, quite unlikely, still chasing the carrot that always remains a couple of weeks away. But it does show the miniscule threat of a late wintry blast hasn't disappeared completely yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I don't see how you are disapointed that we are getting milder weather, if anything its been too long coming

As others have said, we always get mild weather. I am a snow lover and I would be very happy with a few months of it. Other countries get it and can adapt to it. It would be my idea of heaven, as i'm sure other snow lovers on this forum would agree with.

But it just seems now that Spring has arrived. I bought some fruit trees (non frost tolerant) and at the moment they're in the house. I want to put them out but I also want it to snow. I just wish we could have got the snow in Jan/early Feb.

Oh I'm sorry for moaning, just very frustrated with the mild/non-snowy weather :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement