Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

He mixed up Freeview (via Aerial from terrestrial Hill top) and Freesat (via Dish from Satellite)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »
    He mixed up Freeview (via Aerial from terrestrial Hill top) and Freesat (via Dish from Satellite)

Might just be his spellcheck is out of date.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Really not liking the Saorview logo in the bottom left of the screen on RTÉ 1 and the temporary channel.

Will they need to open the second mux for RTÉ+ and RTÉjr because if they replace the temporary channel the picture quality will be really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Will they need to open the second mux for RTÉ+ and RTÉjr because if they replace the temporary channel the picture quality will be really bad.

There is enough capacity on the first mux for the RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel it's just they're not using it for the RTÉ 2 Temp channel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69031541&postcount=14

They need 2nd mux if a 2nd channel goes HD, or Film Channel or Oireachtas Report channel starts. But they can just fit RTÉ Junior / RTÉ+ in existing mux.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    There is enough capacity on the first mux for the RTÉjr/RTÉ Plus channel it's just they're not using it for the RTÉ 2 Temp channel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69031541&postcount=14

Why not?

They want to make RTE Temp look as bad as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

watty wrote: »
    They want to make RTE Temp look as bad as possible?

its a noticable difference either way :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chatterboxes

If it had all worked out: -

Public Muxes

IFB Channel
    OTV
    perhaps EURONEWS.

might want some FTA channels, UTV, BBC 1NI and 2NI.
    No need for Euronews. It's on RTE News Now up to 9 hours a day on Sundays :D Maybe Sky News, or BBC channels :) great

No need for Euronews. It's on RTE News Now up to 9 hours a day on Sundays :D Maybe Sky News, or BBC channels :) great

Sky and the BBC won't pay AFAIK RTÉ have a share in EuroNews hence why I am suggesting it as a full time channel. Also the main reason for RTÉ News Now was the diaspora, yet with EuroNews now on the service the diaspora aren't getting that rolling news service. BBC News 24 is simulcast on BBC 1 and 2 at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I think they could link up with one of the American news channels like ABC or CBS news for an hour or two each day it would make RTE News Now a bit more interesting.

I think they could link up with one of the American news channels like ABC or CBS news for an hour or two each day it would make RTE News Now a bit more interesting.

Or perhaps there European Counterparts. :eek:

CSPAN /NPR maybe possible. Or DW TV. But any US commercial network news has US adverts, many of which would be illegal here, and also would cost money.

CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg and Fox News don't use US feeds direct for Europe. At the least they have to blank the adverts (was very obvious on Fox News when they first launched here).

If they did link up with one of the American news channels maybe they could fill the American ads with money tips with George Lee or some sort of health tips or even some Irish ads. This would solve the issue of American ads been broadcast on RTE News Now.

They are more frequent than is viable here in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Both Sky News and BBC News do show the nightly national bulletin from one of the American networks late at night (I think Sky show CBS and BBC show ABC but I might be wrong) around midnight to 1am, but I don't think it's live.

EuroNews could be replaced on RTÉ News now by

01:00 PBS News
    02:00 BBC News 24
    03:00 TVE Internacional
    04:00 STV24
    05:00 CBC News
    06:00 ABC News (Australia)

Any of you guys know if RTE News Now will stay as it is or will RTE add new content at official launch ? There has been some great suggestions on here and who knows maybe RTE might take some of them on board. One can only hope.

Most people in RTE are unlikely to know.

Any of you guys know if RTE News Now will stay as it is or will RTE add new content at official launch ? There has been some great suggestions on here and who knows maybe RTE might take some of them on board. One can only hope.

According to the proposal for extra channels they have suggested a number of changes such as
    • Television News Bulletins at 08:00 and 09:00 during Morning Ireland
    • Entertainment content from RTÉ TEN (RTÉ entertainment website)
    • Providing News2Day from TRTÉ on RTÉ News Now
    • Additional Irish Language Bulletins
    • Sporting events that RTÉ have rights to but cannot currently provide coverage due to scheduling conflicts
    • Extra sporting analysis that currently runs on RTÉ's live internet service
    • Euronews from 00:00 each night until 07:00

• Advertisement

That's not a bad schedule. I like the idea of adding sport content and continuing the sports discussions after they finish up on the main channels. Also i think it would be a good idea if RTE News Now showed more regional news programs or an extended edition of the regional reports the show on six one news maybe twice a week and after the main news.

I just received this email regarding the switch on of mux 2 from RTENL.

We will be carrying out engineering tests on mux 2 on a semi regular basis. At this point in time there are no concrete plans or dates for commencement of broadcast on mux 2.

Regards,

Brian Geraghty

Make of that what you will guys. I suppose tests will start as soon as they have a channel line up for mux 2.

Till they need RTE Childrens and RTE+
    AND Oireachtas and/OR Film Channel

They have no need for 2nd Mux till then. There is no definate schedule to add the Oireachtas or Film channel as those depend on 3rd parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

image_static?name=dttreport

Taken from Power City website. I presume they are jumping the gun here. I was away last weekend, was any of the Six Nations games on RTE2 (Dtt) in proper HD, not upscaled ?

Not yet. Not likely it seems till May 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Six Nations on RTÉ was definitely not in HD, comparison made with BBC HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Six Nations on RTÉ was definitely not in HD, comparison made with BBC HD.

I can second that :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wasn't even a great match!

Wasn't even a great match!

God damn RTÉ for showing a bad match. Can they do nothing right? They need a complete overhaul. I mean do I pay my licence fee for bad rugby matches? FFS they prob come up with some excuse that it was out of their hands and they would blame the IRFU or some one else perhaps the Italians. Its just typical RTÉ PR ****. I blame FF. Bloody FF lick arses is what they are in RTÉ. It should not be ****ing allowed. How ****ing dare they? Let TV3 show the rubbishy matches. :mad:

Sorry mods had to. now back on topic.

• Advertisement

? Let TV3 show the rubbishy matches. :mad:

Didn't TV3 show that other rubbishy match between two losers last night.:D:D

Advertisement