Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky are primarily a Platform selling Subscriptions.

Don't hold your breath for more quality programs. They are not really a Program maker, which is what is needed, not just the odd commisioning and buying in content.

You are only likely to see better content if Sky is forced to split Channels and Platform to two separate companies and sell off one. As they should be forced to do.

Imagine if and Oil Company owned a Car maker and their cars could only be filled at their own Petrol stations. Also that other Car manufacturers had to pay an excessive charge (EPG or Encryption charges are x4 to x10 what they should be for Broadcasters) to be able to use those Petrol Stations.

And that that the Oil Company owned half the Petrol Stations over all, and all of the Petrol Stations outside Towns.

There are too many Channels

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am just basing what I said on what Sky have so far suggested. And that is they are investing more money into English Drama Programming and that they have spent a **** load on HBO programming :D and that they are closing some of their channels.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what they do in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

boardyjoe wrote: »
    I work in t.v sales myself and I have struggled to get the information I need from RTE. Soley through this thread and from a RTE broadcast engineer who kindly browses through the shop from time to time I have built up enough knowledge but there needs to be something put in writing and given to all electrical retailers.

Thats CEDA's job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Elmo wrote: »
    I am just basing what I said on what Sky have so far suggested. And that is they are investing more money into English Drama Programming and that they have spent a **** load on HBO programming :D and that they are closing some of their channels.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what they do in 2011.

sky's english drama out put is on par with rte drama so its not worth going pay tv

ftakeith wrote: »
    sky's english drama out put is on par with rte drama so its not worth going pay tv

Yawn! What RTÉ drama are you talking about (Casulty or Holby City?) Have you seen the new Sky dramas?

• Advertisement

Sky & RTE would not know Drama if it bit them.

What is it nowadays with rebranding 2nd rate Soaps as Dramas?

RTÉ over the last number of years have produced some excellent dramas. Some not so good but that is to be expected from time to time.

Sky, I agree don't know good drama but then they haven't produce very many.

I think this is a fallacy that RTÉ don't produce good drama. I suppose we are basing this on Fair City.

ITV really should not have bought that Single Handed series. But then they aren't the BBC. Love Casualty best drama ever :rolleyes: .

I am hoping that Sky re-brand is more than just a re-brand, but we will see in 2011. BTW not defending Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardyjoe

watty wrote: »
    Can you recommend any pages that should be added for Retailers here?
    http://www.saortv.info/
    Should there be a "retailers" page?

Brilliant little website, very concise and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

boardyjoe wrote: »
    Brilliant little website, very concise and helpful.
    NO NO NO! THIS SITE IS RUN BY A MEMBER OF THE SHAPE-CHANGING LIZARD ILLUMINATI PAID BY SKY UPC AND THE BBC TO FOOL IRISH PEOPLE AND STEAL THEIR ESSENCE. I SHOULD KNOW BEING A VIETNAM VET AND ALL! Semper Fi, ya'all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@ Dowtchaboy

I find it hard to read small print. Use a much larger font or your point will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

@ Dowtchaboy

I find it hard to read small print. Use a much larger font or your point will be missed.
    Sam - I guess I forgot to put a smiley in - this was a joking reference to the guy who has been going off in a diatribe in large print about the ever-helpful Watty being a secret agent or something. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Sam - I guess I forgot to put a smiley in - this was a joking reference to the guy who has been going off in a diatribe in large print about the ever-helpful Watty being a secret agent or something. :)

Perhaps I should have put a smiley as well, I was refering to his choice of a huge font so he could read his post as his sight is bad. He appears to have disappeared.

Perhaps I should have put a smiley as well, I was refering to his choice of a huge font so he could read his post as his sight is bad. He appears to have disappeared.

THIS IS BIG

THIS IS SIMPLY CAPS :D

THIS IS BIG

THIS IS SIMPLY CAPS :D

My eyesight if fine, ELMO, I do not wear glasses. In fact, I only use glasses to drink out of.:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay cool it you two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/tv3-objects-to-rte-digital-terrestrial-tv-plans-53835.html

looks like tv3 are at their usual proactive self and objecting to anything that dosent suit TV3....so will it stand up or will tv3 be told to swing their hooks and the proposed saorview lineup stay intact?

In a response to consultants Perspective Associates, which carried out an analysis of the RTE plan on be half of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI),TV3 criticised the plan on several points.

This included the claim that the expansion of programming looked too ambitious at a time when RTE was losing money.

TV3 chief executive David McRedmond expressed concern about the proposed station line-up. ‘‘What RTE has proposed is on an unprecedented scale compared to anyone else in Europe," he said. National Newspapers of Ireland (NNI) has also objected to the plans.
    via http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/tv3-objects-to-rte-digital-terrestrial-tv-plans-53835.html

Let me see...
    The new content is

1) A Childrens channel
    2) Part time some RTE2 content is HD
    3) RTE News Now. RTE existing news repeated.

How much new content in the new RTEjr/RTE TRT? Probably little.

TV3 would do well to not be the Pot calling the Kettle Black

RTE has a PSB mandate to do better for Kids.
    They lost €17 million on television in 2009. So how on earth are they going to get this to be affordable?" he said.

The BAI recently submitted its assessment of the RTE proposal to Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan.

A spokeswoman for Ryan said a decision on RTE’s proposal was expected later this month.

RTE argued that the plan met the statutory requirements demanded for DTT and made the best use of resources already at its disposal.

A spokesman for RTE said its proposal was in line with what was being done in the rest of Europe.

They have had to borrow over €70M for DTT Roll out.
    RTE could cap wages ar €100K to €250k. Marian Finucane's €570K for the paltry work she does is mad.

Why doesn't TV3 attack RTE Personalities' Salaries?

What business is it of TV3 whether RTE make a profit or not?

TV3 purchase most of their quality content from ITV and the content they make themselves is of low production value, head-to-camera, low-quality-content rubbish normally found in low end cable channels.

They refused to pay for carriage on DTT as far as I know, and only recently went wide-screen.

Of course, they are the experts on how to run a broadcasting system.

If UTV got access to Saorview, which might be an alternative, then they might be justified in complaining.

Price of Advertising
    TV3 want RTE to charge more for Advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vpkennedy

We should just ignore TV3, All they ever do is moan about RTE.
    As far as I can remember RTE were broadcasting for years before TV3 entered the scene, what do they want, RTE to become as down market as themselves?
    TV3 just rebroadcasts UTV. If they closed tomorrow they would not be missed and their content viewed elsewhere via freesat etc.
    Personally I dont even have TV3 tuned in my set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Not the anti TV3 brigade again! Boring...

TV3 does produce quite a few programs. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean everyone is the same as you.

RTE benefits from the license fee so it's bound to have a few of the bigger shows.

Having said that TV3 should concentrate on itself and stay out of RTE's business.

recyclebin wrote: »
    TV3 does produce quite a few programs

Not the anti TV3 brigade again! Boring....

7hrs of Ireland AM, News, Xpose, Midday, The Morning Show and VB = 30% of their programming with the odd licence fee funded doc (the good ones not ones like Crime Uncovered, Underbelly of Ireland, Druglords living it Large etc).

We have to put up with the constant anti-RTÉ brigade :D

TV3 also demand that the moratorium on the eve of the election be removed. Next they want pay for political advertising. (Only on TV3 of course).

Wouldn't mind but it seems to me that TV3 aren't paying for their 2 slots on the trial service :(
    Price of Advertising
    TV3 want RTE to charge more for Advertising.

Problem with this argument is that it is the Opt out services that bring down the price. Why do you think they successfully lobbied the BAI for a 3min increase last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

7hrs of Ireland AM, News, Xpose, Midday, The Morning Show and VB = 30% of their programming with the odd licence fee funded doc (the good ones not ones like Crime Uncovered, Underbelly of Ireland, Druglords living it Large etc).

We have to put up with the constant anti-RTÉ brigade :D

TV3 also demand that the moratorium on the eve of the election be removed. Next they want pay for political advertising. (Only on TV3 of course).

Wouldn't mind but it seems to me that TV3 aren't paying for their 2 slots on the trial service :(

Problem with this argument is that it is the Opt out services that bring down the price. Why do you think they successfully lobbied the BAI for a 3min increase last year.

There is a more basic problem with the trial service at the moment - saorview is currently being blocked out by freeview south of arklow and i am only using an indoor ariel.....anytime there is good weatehr co-channel interference wreaks havoc so until they sort out thir techinical issues i dont thing tv3s complaining is going to get any priority - i rang the BAI and comreg a year ago about this and ive being ignored about this and still they persist with ch 45 here

saorview needs to get its act sorted before we can even hope for an adaquate enough service to develope content on

If you use a decent chimney aerial with decent reflector and an attenuator for Saorview and Dish for freesat there would be no problem.

The problem only exists for people trying to using indoor or attic aerials or receiving TV from Presli in Wales.
    http://www.blake-uk.com/sr.aspx
    For most people with strong Mt Lienster these aerials need 6dB to 18dB attenuator to avoid tuner overload, depending on location. If you pick up Presli Freeview and not Saorview with that, then you need Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Apogee

Irish Times, Jan 1st

itjan1.jpg

If you use a decent chimney aerial with decent reflector and an attenuator for Saorview and Dish for freesat there would be no problem.

The problem only exists for people trying to using indoor or attic aerials or receiving TV from Presli in Wales.
    http://www.blake-uk.com/sr.aspx
    For most people with strong Mt Lienster these aerials need 6dB to 18dB attenuator to avoid tuner overload, depending on location. If you pick up Presli Freeview and not Saorview with that, then you need Saorsat.

Think about it tho why should i and a few thousand others change our ariel setup and fork out up to 100 euro plus :mad: when the problem can be rectified by rte simply switching the frequency of thier channels? use shannel 39 like they were a year and a half ago at no cost to usin stead of thousands of us in this overspill area in the south east having to fork out 100 quid plus for a new setup....

Glad to see rte going aheead with thier channel lineup - wish tv3 would bother to invest themselves instead of moaning about it :D

They will be using c39 also.
    there is a 2nd multiplex going live before ASO instead of after ASO
    see http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Is there any update on when the second mux will start for all sites?

They will be using c39 also.
    there is a 2nd multiplex going live before ASO instead of after ASO
    see http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

ch 45 isnt suitable for mount leinster tho - couldnt they us channel 21 anotehr channel rather than using a channel which causes co channel interferrence....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Ch21 is the Arklow relay

Advertisement