Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What is maddening is that it would cost nothing for RTE to use their major programmes to highlight all the issues. A few guests on much watched programmes would at least tell people what to ask the retailer.

We have that Tina Lennard who appears on every programme on RTE and appears to be an expert on every consumer subject under the sun but has not a cheap to say about this. RTE actually employ a lot of experts on the subject who may be able to throw some light on the subject.

They even have a website.

They even have a channel 'RTE News Now' that could be used to show a small info item between reruns of the news that would explain matters DTT.

It could be done for nearly nothing, and it could be done now.
    If they made some sort of reference to it in the likes of Fair City with it being part of the plot. Then run info ads after it that would get people educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

What is maddening is that it would cost nothing for RTE to use their major programmes to highlight all the issues. A few guests on much watched programmes would at least tell people what to ask the retailer.

Why would they at this point in time since the service hasn't been "launched"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Souriau wrote: »
    Dump RTE2 SD now and run something else like a demo program of RTE digital and its SAORview EPG and digital Text, MPEG-5.
    RTE2 SD will mislead consumer buyers thinking this set, TV or STB will work when it is on live display in the shop
    In all fairness, if someone buys a non-Saorview, non-HD television based on watching the temporary RTÉ2 SD channel, they should be given a voucher for an eye test with the purchase.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lawhec wrote: »
    In all fairness, if someone buys a non-Saorview, non-HD television based on watching the temporary RTÉ2 SD channel, they should be given a voucher for an eye test with the purchase.

And a voucher for a few other medical tests as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,519 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

We have that Tina Lennard who appears on every programme on RTE and appears to be an expert on every consumer subject under the sun but has not a cheap to say about this. RTE actually employ a lot of experts on the subject who may be able to throw some light on the subject.
    The first and last time Tina Leonard spoke about this over a year ago she didn't have a clue - start here and read on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62753435post62753435

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Cush wrote: »
    The first and last time Tina Leonard spoke about this over a year ago she didn't have a clue - start here and read on http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62753435post62753435

My point about Tina Leonard is not that she knows anything, it is that she apears everywhere. Even if she is not very good, she at least opens the conversation. There are plenty of people within RTE who know all about DTT and a few of them must be good communicators and could explain the requirements in a few words.

I am sure if it was flavour of the month, the presenters of the many programmes would bone up on it and be able to parrot on about the salient details - look at how many experts there are on banking and economics we have now. We used to have experts on the property market before it collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,519 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There are plenty of people within RTE who know all about DTT and a few of them must be good communicators and could explain the requirements in a few words.

I emailed RTÉ with the same point after another expert they dragged in off the street, Adrain Weckler, tried to explain DTT on the Drivetime programme on two evenings. He didn't really have a clue.

The people in the Nutley Building are the most expert in the country in relation to DTT but for an organisation in the communications business they aren't too good at communicating.

I emailed RTÉ with the same point after another expert they dragged in off the street, Adrain Weckler, tried to explain DTT on the Drivetime programme on two evenings. He didn't really have a clue.

The people in the Nutley Building are the most expert in the country in relation to DTT but for an organisation in the communications business they aren't too good at communicating.

The problem of being 'most expert' is that you know too much to explain it simply. What RTE need to do is get a journo to talk to these experts so that the journo knows the bones of the subject and can explain to the average Joe so in turn he can ask the snake oil saleman the right questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In fairness, RTÉ Two SD is called RTÉ Two Temp, has no guide other than to say RTÉ Two Temporary Service and also has information explaining that it will not be available after early 2011 etc.

However I agree, RTÉ News Now could have a animation or something explaining DTT. During ad breaks on all DTT channels a scrolling information message explaining that the audiences should be receiving RTÉ Two on channel 2 and if they are not that their TV/STB is incompatible with Irish DTT. This would avoid any complications with TVs sold as Irish Digital Ready.

Of course we will see these ads when RTÉ have confirmed RTÉ Two HD, RTÉjr, RTÉ+ and RTÉ Aertel Digital in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Weckler is just a Journo-blogger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

The problem of being 'most expert' is that you know too much to explain it simply. What RTE need to do is get a journo to talk to these experts so that the journo knows the bones of the subject and can explain to the average Joe so in turn he can ask the snake oil saleman the right questions.

Aye - pity they havent really bothered to inform the masses so far - they are in the business of providing information after all :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Aye - pity they havent really bothered to inform the masses so far - they are in the business of providing information after all :P

with ads from upc and sky to promote pay tv

here is an ad you will never see

Saorview is the new way to watch irish tv that includes your RTE1, RTE2hd, RTE NEWS Now, TG4, TV3 and 3e and lot more content for you
    all you need is a saorview receiver connected to a indoor/outdoor tv aerial for a once off fee

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

First & foremost, Saorview need to educate the sales personnel who have to sell the product. A few days ago I visited a local (Panny) retailer looking for a 26" Saorview compatible TV for my daughter. "Yep there all good for Saorview" - when asked about digital text the guy pops the old Aertel up on screen, "yep they've got digital text. I said no, MHEG5 digital text like sky text, he says "no they've got no MPEG5 tuners only MPEG4".
    I made the same error earlier on these forums, but I don't sell the stuff. The first info campaign should be directed at the retailers so that they don't end up confusing their customers more than themselves.

ftakeith wrote: »
    with ads from upc and sky to promote pay tv

here is an ad you will never see

Saorview is the new way to watch irish tv that includes your RTE1, RTE2hd, RTE NEWS Now, TG4, TV3 and 3e and lot more content for you
    all you need is a saorview receiver connected to a indoor/outdoor tv aerial for a once off fee

..... and you can receive nearly all UK channels for free using an existing Sky box, or a FTA or Freesat receiver. No subscription needed. Just a once off payment for the equipment.

You do not need to pay for TV, unless you want subscription content like certin sports coverage.

More on exactly how this is done, with reference to the type of TV you need and the ones you must not buy because they do not work.

..... and you can receive nearly all UK channels for free using an existing Sky box, or a FTA or Freesat receiver. No subscription needed. Just a once off payment for the equipment.

You do not need to pay for TV, unless you want subscription content like certin sports coverage.

More on exactly how this is done, with reference to the type of TV you need and the ones you must not buy because they do not work.

very good alongside freesat

139736.jpg

Retro RTÉ Plus Logo????

• Registered Users Posts: 8 boardyjoe

First & foremost, Saorview need to educate the sales personnel who have to sell the product. A few days ago I visited a local (Panny) retailer looking for a 26" Saorview compatible TV for my daughter. "Yep there all good for Saorview" - when asked about digital text the guy pops the old Aertel up on screen, "yep they've got digital text. I said no, MHEG5 digital text like sky text, he says "no they've got no MPEG5 tuners only MPEG4".
    I made the same error earlier on these forums, but I don't sell the stuff. The first info campaign should be directed at the retailers so that they don't end up confusing their customers more than themselves.

I work in t.v sales myself and I have struggled to get the information I need from RTE. Soley through this thread and from a RTE broadcast engineer who kindly browses through the shop from time to time I have built up enough knowledge but there needs to be something put in writing and given to all electrical retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

boardyjoe wrote: »
    I work in t.v sales myself and I have struggled to get the information I need from RTE. Soley through this thread and from a RTE broadcast engineer who kindly browses through the shop from time to time I have built up enough knowledge but there needs to be something put in writing and given to all electrical retailers.
    Yeah, I get your point. I worked in retail over 25 years myself (though not in electrical). The employees should not have to forage for info of their own accord, this can usually lead to misinformation & potential problems with after sales. Responsibility lies with two sectors firstly the employer but primarily with the wholesaler to provide information on the functionality & capabilities of the product which they sell. Operating within consumer regulations is also the responsibility of the employer, unfortunately this is where most employees are let down (usually play it by ear & do whatever you can with the least cost to the company). On the manufacturers/suppliers side I remember the sales guy saying (when I got my D25) Panasonic brought a representative from each of their customer outlets to a 1 day seminar on the launch of their 2010 TV range.

boardyjoe wrote: »

Can you recommend any pages that should be added for Retailers here?
    http://www.saortv.info/
    Should there be a "retailers" page?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

watty wrote: »
    Can you recommend any pages that should be added for Retailers here?
    http://www.saortv.info/
    Should there be a "retailers" page?
    Actually, a retailers page isn't a bad idea.

Surely it's possible for a law to be brought in whereby it's illegal to sell or distribute non compatible hardware? Maybe it will happen... later... If they could push a law for FFD's on gas appliances, then surely it'd be easy to do similar on AV hardware. If distributors can't sell it, then it won't be pushed onto retailers (though, at this stage, every retailer should have a good grasp as to what's necessary).

What I do find annoying is the lack of PVR recorders suited to Saorview. Sony only seem to offer analogue/MPEG2 stuff, which is of course, pointless long term.

• Advertisement

The main lack is Series Link.
    The "Freeview+ HD" PVRs appear to "work".

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Any idea when mux 2 will be switched on? I know the full launch isn't happening until spring 2011 but is there any chance we might see some tests on mux 2 January or February or will RTE NL switch it on a couple of weeks before the full launch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

If I was a betting man I'd place money on April 18th or soon after.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    If I was a betting man I'd place money on April 18th or soon after.

look at the quality football content fta on freesat, saorview in early 2011

Date Encounter Score
    Tues , 15.02., 20:45 h AC Milan Tottenham Hotspur tv3 -: -
    Wed , 09.03., 20:45 h Tottenham Hotspur : AC Milan rte2, itv1 -: -
    Tues , 15.02., 20:45 h Valencia FC : FC Schalke 04 -: -
    Wed , 09.03., 20:45 h FC Schalke 04 : FC Valencia -: -
    Wed , 16.02., 20:45 h AS Roma : Shakhtar Donetsk -: -
    Tues , 08.03., 20:45 h Shakhtar Donetsk : AS Rome -: -
    Wed , 16.02., 20:45 h Arsenal FC : FC Barcelona rte2, itv1 -: -
    Tues , 08.03., 20:45 h FC Barcelona : FC Arsenal tv3 -: -
    Tues , 22.02., 20:45 h Olympique Lyon : Real Madrid -: -
    Wed , 16.03., 20:45 h Real Madrid : Olympique Lyon -: -
    Tues , 22.02., 20:45 h FC Copenhagen : Chelsea FC tv3 -: -
    Wed , 16.03., 20:45 h Chelsea FC : FC Copenhagen rte2, itv1 -: -
    Wed , 23.02., 20:45 h Inter Milan : Bayern Munich -: -
    Tues , 15.03., 20:45 h Bayern Munich : Inter Milan -: -
    Wed , 23.02., 20:45 h Olympique Marseille : Manchester United rte2, itv1 -: -
    Tues , 15.03., 20:45 h Manchester United : Olympique Marseille tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Only Champions League last 16. There's way more than just that. Six Nations Rugby, Magners League, Horse Racing, to mention just a few of the others.

TV isn't just about sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

Persuading people to switch from pay-tv to FTA can have a lot to do with sport, though.

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Persuading people to switch from pay-tv to FTA can have a lot to do with sport, though.

Sky are on the offensive. If they turn Sky One, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic into Must have TV services in 2011 FTA will have a hard time competing.

Fantasy. Irish PayTV can only go down. Yes sport is a driving factor for payTV. That's Why UK payTV is over 50%. But it's unlikely to ever beat 57% in UK. We are at an overstuffed 80% for historical reasons.

Sky1 has only 2% viewing time.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Fantasy. Irish PayTV can only go down. Yes sport is a driving factor for payTV. That's Why UK payTV is over 50%. But it's unlikely to ever beat 57% in UK. We are at an overstuffed 80% for historical reasons.

Sky1 has only 2% viewing time.

Sky1 has seen a slight decrease in the last number of years.

Ireland ~ 1.5%
    UK ~ 0.7%

And as you say due to historical reason Sky1 has a larger audience in Ireland.

I agree, premium sports channels are one of the only really drivers of Pay TV ATM. However I am hoping to see vast improvements from Sky TV's 1, Living and Atlantic which may help improve TV over all outside of sports. If Sky don't improve I agree PayTV can only see continued cancellations due to FTA Sat and Terrestrial TV.

BTW not advocating that DTT continues with Pay ideas.

Advertisement