Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE's web site is a joke as regards news. The Newspapers have an absolute Cheek complaining. They should also go do some more journalism and less recycling of wire stories, bigots like Fiske and reprints of Press Releases.

I'd hope BAI tells the Newspapers/Murdock/Skynews where to stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did anyone read the submissions to the consultation which was published on the Dept website this week (doesn't appear to be available at the moment). The Sunday Times article appears to be based on some of the submissions incl Sky, TV3, NNI.

I sense from the Sky submisssion they feel a threat from DTT/Saorsat and want to ensure that any promotion of RTÉ services include Sky.

All sky have to do is offer to carry then free for RTE and deliver them to any Irish viewing card holder. I'm 100% sure that once a service is "debugged" and not on a "Trial basis" RTE will supply it.

When are Sky going to start collecting VAT here for Ireland instead of giving it to the UK?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »

When are Sky going to start collecting VAT here for Ireland instead of giving it to the UK?

When the Irish rate is less than the UK one.

Simples.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

The Cush wrote: »
    Can you post a scan of the of the article?

Sky News is not regulated here so any impact on it by RTÉ News Now need not be taken into account. Probably included in the article because it has the same owners as the Sunday Times.

NNI (incl The Sunday Times) have been moaning about RTÉ using licence fee money to provide free news via its website for a while now. News International (Rupert Murdoch), owners of the Sunday Times, are one of the biggest movers behind ending free online news.
    The RTÉ website is funded solely by commercial revenue. I attach the article.

• Advertisement

endakenny wrote: »
    The RTÉ website is funded solely by commercial revenue.

NNI and RTÉ presentations to the Oireachtas committee on communications last year.
    Competition in Broadcasting: Discussion with National Newspapers of Ireland (video)
    Competition in Broadcasting: Discussion with RTE (video)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The RTÉ website does have indirect funding from the licence fee. Regardless I just think the NNI etc are just not stepping up to the mark. Really RTÉ can't be blamed for the closure of The Sunday Tribune, their management didn't invest enough online or provide good quality crossover content.

Was Six Nations in HD this weekend?

Elmo wrote: »
    Was Six Nations in HD this weekend?

No.
    An Tarbh wrote: »
    got an email from RTÉ saying they won't be showing the 6 Nations in full HD, hardly surprising but extremely disappointing nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any updates on Saorsat at all folks?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    No.

Don't expect any info on Saorsat before Mid May 2011 at absolute Earliest. Could be as late as end of June for a full Channel Lineup.

I don't expect to see solutions for Mortals before end June 2011.

RTE won't confirm or deny anything till it's working.

No.

Don't expect any before Mid May 2011 at absolute Earliest. Could be as late as end of June for a full Channel Lineup.

I don't expect to see solutions for Mortals before end June 2011.

RTE won't confirm or deny anything till it's working.

I have heard that Mid-march is planned for information on the platform i.e. marketing the platform.

That's Saorview

I was writing about Saorsat
    Pangea wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

watty,i am aiming this your way as i have a feeling you will know this.sorry to single you out but you always seem to know exactly whats going on:).
    i just recieved this
    http://wotsat.techradar.com/news/rte-unveils-hd-kids-and-news-channels-digital-launch-28-02-11
    does this mean that all the recievers on the black list will all work after the launch allbeit in sd.are they all off the hook?
    thanks in advance

No. The Article is a bit misleading.

The receivers on the black list will never work in Ireland, or on HD anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

Misleading??? they say that there will be sd rte1,rte2,tv3,tg4.surely if they left them four in sd it would solve a problem even for a while.
    think rte should have pre approved boxes before all the black list recievers had time to make it to market,mind you thats my own opinion.

The longer that an important channel is NOT HD, the bigger the problem gets and then you are stuck like UK with expense of simulcast of both.

The sooner there is no SD alternative to RTE2 the better.

Within 3 years all the main channels in UK and Ireland will be HD.

Saorview is designed as an HD system *minimum* that can carry SD. It's a tremendous waste of money to carry SD & HD versions of the same channel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Ka Sat ( Saorsat and Satellite Broadband Tooway product) Satellite commissioning has gone swimmingly it seems.

The Tooway service offerings are to go live on the Irish Spot Beam at the end of MARCH I have been told. I also got this map of the spots which EACH have a capacity of 450Mbits down and 450mbits up in total.

ka-sat-spot-beam-coverage-footprint-map.gif

Note the Prime IRISH spot does NOT COVER Northern Ireland, seemingly...or that a larger dish will be required. Nor does the Irish spot cover the extremities of Kerry/Cork although RTÉNL will build a few transmitters down there they tell us.

I would SPECULATE that if the Ka Sat Irish spot has 10 % or 45mbits of bandwidth reserved for 2 Public Mux equivalents that the total thruput for Tooway downlinks will come in around 400mbits .

I don't know whether RTE are taking a commensurate 45mbit upload for their own use ...ie Feeds. 45mbits is around 3 x HD uplinks ...possibly broken out in one of the 8 ( sometimes allegedly 10) Ground stations that Ka Sat is supposed to use such as perhaps Elfordstown in Cork.

Can anybody tell me where them Dishes at Elfordstown are pointing right now ??? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is it possible that RTE could use the Saorsat setup to provide news links for remote reports? Might save them a few bob.

No, but they could use Ka-Sat just the way they use Intelsat 907 or whatever. Needs different ODU on the Dish Arm. All else can be the same.

Saorsat is just the brand name of the Irish FTA Satellite TV Direct to Home. Nothing to do with Ka-Sat, ka-band or Outside broadcast uplinks. Saorsat simply happens to be using Ka-Sat for delivery (probably).

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Ka Sat ( Saorsat and Satellite Broadband Tooway product) Satellite commissioning has gone swimmingly it seems.

The Tooway service offerings are to go live on the Irish Spot Beam at the end of MARCH I have been told. I also got this map of the spots which EACH have a capacity of 450Mbits down and 450mbits up in total.

RTE are not going to use Elfordstown. I'm not sure the uplink site is public info, but I know it.

The spots are at LEAST twice the shown diameter, that map is service contour.

The real size of ALL spots is about the sizr of the one just south of Gibraltar.

Ballycastle I believe is covered.
    ka-sat-inter.png
    see http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorsat-coverage

explains the magic and why Welsh coverage is likely no better than from Mt. Leinster.

It PERFECTLY covers Donegal and Kerry.

The ring will correspond to a particular dish size. The limit is NOT bigger dish, but interference from a spot that matches in colour (same polarity and band)

No, but they could use Ka-Sat just the way they use Intelsat 907 or whatever. Needs different ODU on the Dish Arm. All else can be the same.

Saorsat is just the brand name of the Irish FTA Satellite TV Direct to Home. Nothing to do with Ka-Sat, ka-band or Outside broadcast uplinks. Saorsat simply happens to be using Ka-Sat for delivery (probably).

Well, if they did use that satellite, I presume they might save a few bob. But I do not know if there would be enough capacity.

plenty capacity. About enough for 60 or 70 HD OBs simultaneously!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

plenty capacity. About enough for 60 or 70 HD OBs simultaneously!
    OBs?

Souriau wrote: »
    OBs?

Outside Broadcasts I'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Karsini wrote: »
    Outside Broadcasts I'd assume.
    I also thought of that aswell but I don't assume but rather to seek correct facts and info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Enough OB capacity to uplink 6 x 3DTV/HD feeds from the Munster Final of a summer :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Enough OB capacity to uplink 6 x 3DTV/HD feeds from the Munster Final of a summer :)

Possibly 30 x full 3D TV feeds.

... but would it be a cheap solution for them?

• Advertisement

Depends on relative cost of upgrades to OB trucks & Eutelsat charge vs whatever they pay now. In long term it could be.
    Especially if Viasat/Tooway don't sell as much Internet capacity as envisaged.

Advertisement