Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Didn't TV3 show that other rubbishy match between two losers last night.:D:D

No Enda didn't turn up ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    No Enda didn't turn up ;)

That would have made three losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

watty wrote: »
    Not yet. Not likely it seems till May 2011.

image_static?name=3-webbannermiddle3

Watty, seems as if Powercity don't agree with your timing of when Saorview transmits HD ! This sign is on their website today. They will probably claim they are technically correct, as it will be upscaled HD, unless they know something you don't and RTE are going to surprise us on Sunday !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't Know when the first HD transmission will be, RTE won't tell me ;) I'm just being cautious.

I'll believe an official statement. Look at Surveys of Limerick TV retailers!
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/Reynard/retail-aso-part1
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/what-aso
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/Reynard/retail-aso-part2

I shall be happy for Rugby Fans if it is in HD.

Powercity could always say that at some stage France V Ireland will be provided in HD on Saorview. :rolleyes: Were any of the matches shown in full HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

RTE Two temporary service on channel seven is now showing an RTENL test card. I wonder has RTE Two temp been switched off early?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

RTE Two temporary service on channel seven is now showing an RTENL test card. I wonder has RTE Two temp been switched off early?

The EPG on the DTT service is now showing April 11th 2011 as a closing date for the RTE 2 temporary service. A channel scan does not reveal any additional channels going live (or on test !)

Hibrasil wrote: »
    The EPG on the DTT service is now showing April 11th 2011 as a closing date for the RTE 2 temporary service. A channel scan does not reveal any additional channels going live (or on test !)

It was 17 April. then it was 18 and now its 11????

I love the spring its such a random date.

They did say that prior to full Public Launch, there might be service interruptions.

Not often nowadays you see a testcard!

You got colour? :)

120894.png

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Elmo wrote: »
    It was 17 April. then it was 18 and now its 11????

I love the spring its such a random date.

Sincerely hope I did not get closing date for RTE 2 temporary service wrong.....because I have rechecked...and guess what...the "Closing date" is April 18......if I got it wrong ...apologies....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

RTE 2 temp completely disappeared for me over two weeks ago from mount leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

RTE Temp service is back on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2011/02/16/ireland-looks-for-dtt-content/

Julian clover writes: The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) is to seek expressions of interest from content providers interested in joining the country’s DTT platform. An announcement is expected from the BAI in the next few weeks. The BAI will then report to communications minister Pat Carey in April.

“This Order clearly shows that the momentum for digital switchover and analogue switch off is being maintained,” said Carey. “It represents a major opportunity for broadcasters and indeed other interested parties to become a part of digital terrestrial television in Ireland.”

Public broadcaster RTÉ is expected to launch the Saorview digital network in May this year. It follows a troubled period that saw the franchise to operate commercial TV services on the DTT platform rejected by three separate parties.

Analogue switch off will take place in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭scruffy66

Pat carey is looking for votes ,thats what it means ,how many ministries doe's
    Pat have under his control and there's an election on as well.

How doe's he find the time? Well done PAT ,sure aren't you a great fella:D

Minister for Community, Equality and Gaeltacht Affairs, Transport, Communications, Energy and Natural Resources.

Of course no one has yet to point out that if Cowen properly redistributed the departments after 7 of his ministers left Pat would have been given

Dept. of Environment, Heritage and Local Government rather than Communications. (Transport kind of fits with Community and Local Government, in but Tourism, Sport and Culture fits even better).

We only need 7 ministers.

Pat Carey Minister for Environment (portfolios Community, Gaeltacht, Local Government, Sport, Tourism and Culture). With no junior minsters.

Wonder if he will sign of on the new RTÉ services. The BAI stuff could wait for the next minister.

ASO Date

What about actual DATE (not vague statements to TDs of November 2012, q4 2012, end 2012 but a real signed date as the law requires).

Mad that less than 2 years there is no date signed. There should have been at least 2 years notice.

ASO Date

What about actual DATE (not vague statements to TDs of November 2012, q4 2012, end 2012 but a real signed date as the law requires).

Mad that less than 2 years there is no date signed. There should have been at least 2 years notice.

Spring sometime should be satisfactory watty. You're all about the specifics. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

looking for expressions of interest.... hmmmm in other words make us an offer... then will will charge you an huge fee to use the DTT network that makes it so unviable for you that when you come to actually signing a contract its not worth it....only possible interest would come from setanta ireland or a very long shot utv...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

.... or perhaps the BEEB.:)

• Advertisement

There is no huge fee. But the Transmission costs of DTT are x10 more than Satellite. Also a very high cost to rollout additional Mux nationwide. A €20M bond if additional DTT Rollout needed would only cost a Reputable company a few hundred thousand, peanuts compared to operational costs.

Also 80% of people have Pay TV. For a Pay TV company to pay x10 as much for DTT, most of whom will have ZERO interest in Pay TV, makes no sense.

There might be some logic for UTV FTA and for them to compete with TV3 as the "Irish" Commercial station as effectively after ASO they have no UK licence. Tv3 no doubt would not be amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I posted the text of S.I. No. 67 of 2011 over in the other thread yesterday.

This from the S.I.
    This Order confers additional functions on the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland which include conferring with RTÉ on the amount of spare capacity on the RTÉ multiplexes and seeking expressions of interest from broadcasters interested in providing broadcasting services over digital television multiplexes in Ireland.

The spare capacity on the RTÉ muxes will be included in the process, Mux2 I'd guess assuming the other channels on Mux 1 have been approved. Nothing in the SI preventing the BAI including the commercial muxes when seeking expressions of interest, which was due to happen in any case later this year.

The expressions of interest could include RTÉ, TV3 etc to launch RTÉ 1 and TV3 HD on Mux 2.

We'll know for sure in a few weeks when the BAI launch the process.

There is no huge fee. But the Transmission costs of DTT are x10 more than Satellite. Also a very high cost to rollout additional Mux nationwide. A €20M bond if additional DTT Rollout needed would only cost a Reputable company a few hundred thousand, peanuts compared to operational costs.

Also 80% of people have Pay TV. For a Pay TV company to pay x10 as much for DTT, most of whom will have ZERO interest in Pay TV, makes no sense.

There might be some logic for UTV FTA and for them to compete with TV3 as the "Irish" Commercial station as effectively after ASO they have no UK licence. Tv3 no doubt would not be amused.

Sure hasnt TV3 already sent in an official objection to the rte DTT service stating that its scope and channel lineup is is too much to compete with basically??

Which is of course usual TV3 nonsense.

RTE moving to HD. (TV3 has plans there)
    A recycled news channel
    Day time kids TV + recycled RTE1 & RTE2 at night.

Hardly destructive competition from a PSB.

TV3 on Analogue had less than 80% coverage and no 3e. On Digital already they have over 90% coverage and 3e also.

Don't listen to TV3's complaints. How much decent programming do they produce?
    (All a matter of taste I suppose)
    Vincent Brown: Practically "shock jock" populist junk
    Xpose: Trash Magasine program not fit for young people.
    Morning Show that is mostly Product placement, Advertising Services and Premium rate phone number scam.

Obviously enough people like these to sell advertising. But is it Quality Programming?
    Someone should complain about Tv3

A recycled news channel

TV3 on Analogue had less than 80% coverage and no 3e. On Digital already they have over 90% coverage and 3e also.

Don't list to TV3's complaints. How much decent programing do they produce?
    Morning Show that is mostly Product placement, Advertising Services and Premium rate phone number scam.

indeed its noncence - rtes lineup could be alot better but still i hope it will attract competition rather then kill it off but that lets see if there is any any interest from any other possible providers and then its down to the expansive carriage price tag - aye anyways tv3 are always complaining :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

A recycled news channel

Don't list to TV3's complaints. How much decent programing do they produce?

I would like to thank TV3 and 3e for being on Saorview as I could not recieve either channel before FTA.
    TV3 with Champions League football on a Tuesday which could not be recieved on Freesat, I like the Vincent Brown show. Good weather.
    3e with the Irish version of 'Take me out' is also watched and enjoyed in my house.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    I would like to thank TV3 and 3e for being on Saorview as I could not recieve either channel before FTA.
    TV3 with Champions League football on a Tuesday which could not be recieved on Freesat, I like the Vincent Brown show. Good weather.
    3e with the Irish version of 'Take me out' is also watched and enjoyed in my house.

tv3 and 3e have some decent stuff indeed mate but i was referring to thier complaint against rte as nonsense - i wasnt able to recieve 3e myself until it went onto DTT...decent comedy on it i must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

The RTÉ 2 Temporary SD Service, which is on Channel 7 on Saorview, will be closing on 18 April this year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorview
    Presumably, this means that the official launch of Saorview will take place on that date or shortly afterwards, doesn't it?

If about a Month is shortly... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

endakenny wrote: »
    The RTÉ 2 Temporary SD Service, which is on Channel 7 on Saorview, will be closing on 18 April this year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saorview
    Presumably, this means that the official launch of Saorview will take place on that date or shortly afterwards, doesn't it?

This from RTÉ last Nov
    The current DTT planning is based on the first PSB MUX launching in May 2011 with the option of a second PSB MUX being launched thereafter.

Advertisement