Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Leaders As Gaeilge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

You cant 'force' someone to use a language, you can however put in place a system that facilitates and encourages the use of a language. That should be put in place in the Dáil(and senate, committees etc)

I am 'forced' to learn Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I don't know how the vast majority of political leaders in the world, who conduct their affairs in a language other than English, manage at all.

Indeed, it's bizarre that we know anything about what's going on in Spain, France, China or wherever - bizarre, that is, if we're wearing blinders and can't see the translations at the bottom of the news screen. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

squonk wrote: »
    I know there's an Is Irish a Dead Language thread but i want to start a new thread to discuss a specific point and I'd take the view that it's not dead.

Did anyone see the Green Press Conference yesterday where a woman from Nuacht RTE posed a question as gaeilge to John Gormley, who then responded with the cúpla focail and handed it over to Trevor Sargent to answer. While I don't discount the argument that political ability is of higher priority, should it not be seen as a good, positive thing that a lear of a party sitting in Dail Eireann be able to have a decent command of Irish? I would expect enough to be able to give at least a decent, concise answer to a question posed.

Surely it would have been easy enough for him to have had some lessons over the past few years he's been in office and, most especially, that he could have had briefinigs/lessons that gave him the terms for such items as 'Leadership heave' and 'Departing from Government'. It's not a big ask surely?

Fundamentally, how can ti be seen as government policy to further the use of Irish within county councils and public bodies if the Minister for the Environment cannot converse in the language?

He is meant to be able to speak to his constituents. If his constituents cannot speak English and can only speak Irish, then of course he should be fluent in Irish. However, this set up does not exist anywhere in Ireland. Simple, really. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Maybe you haven't noticed that you've just changed the argument. Your post condemned leaders for speaking Irish because an international audience couldn't understand it and it would thus "damage our economic future". When that was shown as specious nonsense by virtue of the fact that most developed countries don't need to address the world in English, and indeed do very well economically in the process, you attempted to change the argument.

English, by the way, is the national language of, surprisingly, England, not Ireland. The name should be the giveaway. English is an official language of Ireland, which is not the same thing. Irish is, obviously, the national language of Ireland. Can the English not have anything of their own any more without people trying to take it and claim it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Irish is a minority language, I dont see why you need to keep pointing that out, Why should we ban the use of a minority language in the Dáil? What is the justification for doing this?

The 2006 census showed that 1.6 million people (of our 4.2 million population) claimed the ability to speak Irish. However, only 53,471 said that they used it on a daily basis outside the education system, while another 97,089 spoke it weekly outside education. Most of the remainder either used the language only within the education system (not surprising, given that the State makes the language mandatory for primary and secondary students) or never used it (suggesting that they lack the language skills to follow a complex political or financial debate in Irish).

Your figures are a little misleading, There are a further 18000 who use Irish both In and outside the education system on a daily basis and a further 30000 or so who use it In and out side Education on a weekly basis. (The proportion of Young speakers of the language of the total is actually very encouraging)

If Dáil proceedings were held in Irish, the vast majority of us would need subtitles to know what was going on in our own country. That simply would not be acceptable in a democratic nation.

You seam to have a very odd notion of Democratic, There are parliments across Europe, And most notably The European Parliment its self that has business conducted in more than one language, That dose not make them less democratic, That is a ridiclulus notion.
    The same applies here. I am not saying that all Business should be conducted through Irish or that Politicens should have to have Irish, Just that there be space for and the facilities to handel the Use of Irish in the Dáil. I do not see what is so outlandish in that.
    I think the demand that Dáil busniess can be conducted through the second National Language only to be far more Extreame, Thankfully Politiciens and the people have the right to conduct any business they want through Irish. I would ask what is the Justification is for Demanding that everything in the Dáil be English only?
    Bi-lingualism works well in many countries across Europe, it dosent affect their democracy, it is ridiculus to suggest that it would affect ours. We have as a national aim, the promotion of the Irish language, and we are obliged to promote Mionority Languages in this state through Europe. So would it not be rather ridiculus to ban the use of Irish in the Dáil as doing so would be counter to the promotion of the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

Ill tell you what, I am really sick to my ****ing teeth with the Irish language these days. I never it liked it, starting from back when it was forced on me in school, but I really detest it these days because of the all the BS initiatives associated with it .... all EU documents having to be translated to Irish (who ****in reads these anyway), forcibly changing the names of towns against their will (such as Dingle), requiring it as entry to basically ALL college courses in this country, and Im sick of the gaelgoirs constantly trying to force it on the rest of the country who are more than happy to speak English and who love speaking English as it has given us massive connectivity with the outside world. At this stage I am so sick of Irish being promoted (read: forced on an unwilling population) that I no longer even give a crap about its cultural value, I would be more than happy if it died off and it never had to bother us again.

To anyway gaelgoirs reading: You are as bad as the Catholics were centuries ago, going around trying to convert everyone to your ways...so please just piss off with your language and leave the good people of this country alone in peace and stop costing us billions on a language that is not dead only by virtue of the fact that the government have had the life support plugged in for the last 50 years.

I have already highlghted that your figures are off.

2006 Census - Irish Language Speakers (Daily)

Daily outside the education system only: 53,471
    Daily within AND outside education system: 18,677

Daily/habitual TOTAL = 72,148 habitual speakers (of these, 22,515 live in the Gaeltacht)

2006 Census - Irish Language Speakers (Weekly)

Outside education system only: 97,089
    Weekly within AND outside education system: 5,772

Weekly outside the education system speakers TOTAL = 102,861

So this is the Irish speaking 'core', if you will. 175,000. this is just under 4% of the population.

Ill tell you what, I am really sick to my ****ing teeth with the Irish language these days. I never it liked it, starting from back when it was forced on me in school, but I really detest it these days because of the all the BS initiatives associated with it .... all EU documents having to be translated to Irish (who ****in reads these anyway), forcibly changing the names of towns against their will (such as Dingle), requiring it as entry to basically ALL college courses in this country, and Im sick of the gaelgoirs constantly trying to force it on the rest of the country who are more than happy to speak English and who love speaking English as it has given us massive connectivity with the outside world. At this stage I am so sick of Irish being promoted (read: forced on an unwilling population) that I no longer even give a crap about its cultural value, I would be more than happy if it died off and it never had to bother us again.

To anyway gaelgoirs reading: You are as bad as the Catholics were centuries ago, going around trying to convert everyone to your ways...so please just piss off with your language and leave the good people of this country alone in peace and stop costing us billions on a language that is not dead only by virtue of the fact that the government have had the life support plugged in for the last 50 years.

Sorry but every piece of research shows that the population of Ireland dose not share your attuide to the language, as such I think we will continue to promote the language. And we will do so with the good will of the vast majority of the population.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I think the demand that Dáil busniess can be conducted through the second National Language only to be far more Extreame, Thankfully Politiciens and the people have the right to conduct any business they want through Irish. I would ask what is the Justification is for Demanding that everything in the Dáil be English only?
    Bi-lingualism works well in many countries across Europe, it dosent affect their democracy, it is ridiculus to suggest that it would affect ours. We have as a national aim, the promotion of the Irish language, and we are obliged to promote Mionority Languages in this state through Europe. So would it not be rather ridiculus to ban the use of Irish in the Dáil as doing so would be counter to the promotion of the language.

I don't care what's written in the constitution, English is not our second national language, please come and live in the real world. I left school before the requirement to pass Irish in exams was removed and it was a shame to see otherwise excellent students denied their rightful qualification because of stupid backward policies which stemmed from this.
    Irish will never again be the first national language of this country, apart from anything else it just doesn't make economic sense. How many times have you heard it said that one of the main reasons for, particularly high tech and pharmaceutical companies to set up in Ireland is the fact we speak English.
    By all means let us retain the language and teach it to our children but don't turn the kids off it by ramming it down their throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Weekly outside the education system speakers TOTAL = 102,861

So this is the Irish speaking 'core', if you will. 175,000. this is just under 4% of the population.

Considering generations of Irish students have been forced to study Irish that is quite a pathetic number of weekly core users of the language. That amount of usage considering the "subsidisation" that Irish gets through the Education system really confirms that we shouldn't have an expectation or requirement for our National Representatives to conduct Irish through Irish.

It also shows that a rethink needs to be made on the way all students are forced to do Irish in second level. It should be optional that way you get people who are interested studying the language not held back by those who aren't. Also making Irish optional will ensure that those who aren't interesting in studying at school will not have their opinion of the language tainted therefore leaving them with a more positive attitude towards it later in their lives and leaving the possibility that they would be open to learn the language then.

I dont think anything that elaborate would be needed, Irish can be used in the dáil or for any committee now and it isent needed.

Bilingualism works well in the countries across Europe that are actually bilingual. Ours is not a bilingual nation. (Naturally, the gaelgoirs will insist otherwise—but really, who do they think they're fooling? Walk onto any street in any major town and ask for directions in Irish, and then tell me how "bilingual" we are.)

It is a national aim for Ireland to become a Bi-lingual nation, See the Offical languages Act 2003. As for walking onto a street looking for directions, I have no doubt that I could find someone with enough Irish to answer the question in a relativly short space of time.

So we should speak Irish because the bureaucrats have decreed it? I'm not convinced. (In any case, if we want to facilitate useful bilingualism in the Dáil, there is a much greater rationale for conducting proceedings in Polish.)

We should facilate the use of Irish as it is our national language and it is the aim(Supported by all political parties and the vast majority of the population) of our state to promote it.

I would love to know why you think there is a greater rational for Polish to be facilated in the Dáil. Given that is is not one of our national languages, It is not a minority language in this country and The Irish people have no interest in promoting Polish as a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

snubbleste wrote: »
    Gaeilge is given recognition by the Constitution as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland (with English being a second official language).

Have to disagree with you my first language is English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

This is all very bizarre ,considering how messed up this country is. People really think it's best if our politicians start talking Irish ?

It's bad enough we've had ten years or more of constant waffle from fianna fail ,now people want the waffle in Irish ,albeit from a different party.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

That's quite disingenuous: you want the Irish language excluded from the most important forum of the state. That's tantamount to saying that we should not shun it, but we should ignore it instead.

Well, yes, I think that precisely because Dail Eireann is so important it should be conducted in English only, so that all its citizens can understand it. I think that within this one setting the use of Irish is not desirable.

(Perhaps it's worth adding that I think there are settings where it is very desirable: I attended a poetry night featuring John Montague before Christmas and I found the use of Irish by the MC to be very charming and in lovely harmony with the eclectic mood of the night.)
    I am not aware that the use of Irish in the Dáil has ever been an obstruction to conducting the business of the state. Your going after it now, in this context, looks like spoiling for a fight that nobody is actually seeking.

A thread came up, and I offered my opinion. I don't see how that amounts to "spoiling for a fight".

Whats your point? Are you arguing against properly implementing an aim because aims tend not to be properly implemented?
    Because Ireland is home to many Polish speakers who have a poor grasp of English, let alone Irish.

Ireland is not the home of the Polish language and there is no obligation on the Irish government to support/promote Polish. Ireland is also the home to many non national Irish speakers, and I have highlighted before that using non-nationals(Or the New Irish) as a tool to argue against the promotion of the Irish Language is not advised.

The government is obligated to promote the Irish language however and fortunatly the government(for all their many many faults) are starting to properly promote the language and put the Infastructure to make Ireland a bilingual state in more than name only.

• Advertisement

Well, yes, I think that precisely because Dail Eireann is so important it should be conducted in English only, so that all its citizens can understand it. I think that within this one setting the use of Irish is not desirable.

(Perhaps it's worth adding that I think there are settings where it is very desirable: I attended a poetry night featuring John Montague before Christmas and I found the use of Irish by the MC to be very charming and in lovely harmony with the eclectic mood of the night.)

I dont see any justification for banning Irish in the Dáil, The state aims to promote the Language and to make Ireland a bi-lingual state. To do this Irish need to be normalised in all settings and the Dáil is one place that it needs to be heard especially, How can the state promote Bi-lingualism as an aim if it bans the very language it is trying to promote in the national Parliament?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I dont see any justification for banning Irish in the Dáil, The state aims to promote the Language and to make Ireland a bi-lingual state. To do this Irish need to be normalised in all settings and the Dáil is one place that it needs to be heard especially, How can the state promote Bi-lingualism as an aim if it bans the very language it is trying to promote in the national Parliament?

I'm not suggesting we necessarily ban it. There's a difference between holding an opinion and wanting to have the opinion legislated for. I personally don't think that speaking Irish in the Dail is appropriate, but I still respect the right of representatives to do so.

Irish in schools has been poorly taught, and in many ways is still poorly taught, Other than Education and Rural and Gaelthacht affairs, the government has been(Untill recent times) generally obstructive to the promotion of the Irish language, We had a situation where people had to study Irish in school but when you left school there were no services provided by the state through Irish. It was basicly a situation of 'You have to learn it, but we wont let you use it'. The Government had a significant role to plad in the decline of the Gaelthachts too, with services provided in English only very often(this at a time when there were still people who had Irish only)

Fortunatly in the last 20 years or so, things have changed. On the whole the Government is starting to take its responcibility for promoting the Language seriously, With the Official languages act in 2003, European recognition of Irish in 2004 and the 20 year plan this year. There are still places where the government is obstructive to the promotion of the language, such as the block on recognising new Gaelscoileanna and Gaelcholaisteanna. But this is the exception rather than the rule these days.

That is why Irish is actually growing as a language again.:)

(as a small aside to the number of Irish speakers, Did you know that the average noumber of speakers of a language is only 7500?)
    Promoting the language is one thing. Mandating it is quite another. Free citizens have the right to decide which language(s) they or their children learn and speak, just as they have the right to decide which clothes to wear, which food to eat, or which religion to practice. Government interference with citizens' basic liberties is not justifiable in any country that wishes to call itself a free democratic republic.

And how dose allowing polititons to use Irish in the Dáil 'mandate' the language? I assume you are referencing Irish in the Education system? But then again Irish isent the only subject forced on Kids is it? Not to mention that is well off topic.

Nor do I. However, I consider it impracticable to propose holding debates in the Irish language when only around 15 percent of TDs are considered able to speak that language well enough to feature on TG4 or Raidió na Gaeltachta. Theoretically, my TD goes to Dáil Éireann to represent me. How can he represent me effectively if he can neither follow debates nor contribute to them?

I am not proposing debates be held exclusivly through Irish, I am proposing that Irish be facilated and encouraged, So that any member of the house can use Irish as and when they want to.

I can't read phrasings like this without being reminded of Orwell's 1984. The state should not be in the interest of "normalising" any language. People should be free to speak whatever language they choose, without government interference.

Indeed they should, But they are not, The state has up till recently and in many areas still dose force people to speak English. People should be free to chose Irish, Be it in the Dáil or in the street. This can only be done if services are provided through Irish as and where they are wanted, That includes Gaeilscoileanna for people who want their kids brought up through Irish and services provided by the state through Irish.

That is what I mean by 'Irish needs to be normalised' Services through and the use of Irish has to be made a part of Every day life, They should be an actual option for anyone who wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

BKtje wrote: »
    I think that the number of decent politicians that Ireland has is low enough without devastating the number further by forcing them to be able to speak Irish fluently.

Personally I wouldn't care if they spoke chinese as long as they ran the country in a decent and honest way.

If they spoke Chinese they wouldn't be able to communicate their ideas in an effective way to the population. Fluency in english is essential, while Irish although nice to have is not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That is what I mean by 'Irish needs to be normalised' Services through and the use of Irish has to be made a part of Every day life, They should be an actual option for anyone who wants it.

Not really, based on the numbers who use Irish as an everyday language I do not think the cost is warranted especially given the fact that every Irish Citizen that has gone through the education of this state has been forced to take Irish in Primary and Secondary Education and the vast majority have no use for this language in their everyday life.

I definitely do not think that our politicians should be forced to use Irish to service just 4% of the population.

I think that allowing people to choose the language they want to conduct their business in is an important step in setting up the Conditions for Irish to continue to grow. Services like those may not seam important, but If you are living your life through Irish as many do then the absence of those services in your chosen language forces you to speak English.

More importantly, Services like Gaelscoileanna and Gaelcholaisteanna are vital to a family that wants their Children to Grow up with fluent Irish.

The Official Languages Act 2003 has imposed additional financial burdens on local authorities, which are forced by law to waste money translating documents into Irish without there being any public demand. For instance, this 2009 story illustrates how Clare County Council spent more than €30,000 translating three development plans into Irish, yet failed to sell even one single copy of the Irish-language document. I fail to see where the positive benefit is to the public when we enact requirements such as these. That's €30,000 that is not being spent on the far more essential services that cash-strapped local authorities have to maintain.

So you can find Waste in the System, I dont recall claiming that the Civil service was 100% efficient. Of course there will be areas where value for Money will not be achieved, and those areas shoule be looked at and reformed. What matters is the principle of providing services through Irish for the Irish speaking Community. In law Irish speakers have the right to services as good as those provided through English, How do you think the Language can grow if People cant use it?

That is a hugely simplistic view. Over the course of many decades, the government has provided all manner of incentives to promote and sustain the use of the Irish language in the Gaeltachts—but the language has continued to decline there, largely for cultural reasons that have little to do with state services.

In the early days of the state, As it expanded its influence(Welfare state, Rural Eletric schemes etc) Services were provided in English.
    Of course there were many factors contributing to the decline of the language, but the state, rather than trying to reverse the decline, was activly contributing to it.

More recently (Since the 80's) with the establishment of Udaras na Gaelthachta this has largly stopped and now the Gaelthachts have stabalised.(though the Borders need to be redrawn to reflect the situation on the Ground)

That's all very well—but I see no point in requiring the taxpayer to bend over backwards to facilitate languages that have just 7,500 speakers. Or 72,000 "habitual speakers," for that matter.

So where is the line?
    200,000? 500,000? 2,000,000?
    Irish is a minority language, and is a growing language at that, The EU is very clear on the promotion of Minority languages. What I dont understand is why some people are so dead set against Linguistic Diversity.

To disregard and Disgard Irish would be compleatly out of step with the rest of Europe.

European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages

Support for Minority Languages in Europe
    If you read down, you will actually see examples where Irish is used as an example of methods to promote Minority languages.

At last count, just 15 percent of TDs spoke Irish well enough to hold a coherent political debate in it. It is thus completely impracticable to propose that any TD on a whim can start debating in a language that excludes 85 percent of the house and a huge percentage of the general public.

Rubbish, There is nothing to stop any TD from using Irish, It is not Impractible, Bi-lingualism is practiced in many Parliaments accross Europe, And can just as easily be practiced here. This is the Situation now in the Dáil and it has not caused any problems.

How and where are people "forced" to speak English by the government?

Many people use Irish as their Daily language of Communication, The majority of these people do not live in the Gaelthachts, Where services are provided in English only, then people who want to use Irish are forced to Use English.

Take Gaelscoileanna as an Example, They provide a service through Irish, They are very popular, but the GOvernment has refused to Recognise any new Gaelscoileanna despite up to 16 campaigns around the Country for New Gaelscoileanna to be established that have the required numbers. This forces parents to send their Kids to English Medium Schools.
    If people should be free to choose Irish, then people should also be free from the state-mandated imposition of Irish, if that is their preference.

How dose the State impose Irish on people? Is providing a service through Irish 'Imposing' Irish on people?
    I am not saying that people should be forced to use Irish when conducting their business with the Government, I am saying that it should be available as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

How dose the State impose Irish on people?
    I think the majority of primary and secondary students will disagree with your implied position that Irish is not imposed on them.

4% of the population speak Irish, very good, am delighted that they wish to keep the language alive but debates in the dail in Irish (as countless people have said before) would deny many the capability of understanding the debate (and in the case of the majority of TD's, from participating in it also).

Whether it is in the constitution or not, the everyday(and primary/main) language of Ireland is english (and therefore changes need to be made to the document to recognise this fact).
    The vast majority of trade and business transactions, everyday conversations and official requests of public services (of whatever nature) are in english. The fact that you resort to using the constitution as a shield to protect the language is evidence of it's (to put in bluntly) uselessness in the every day life of at least 96% of the countries citizens (and this is being generous).

I don't want Irish to disappear but if I was an irish taxpayer (and I fully expect to be again one day) i'd be well pissed off at this blatant waste of money in keeping it as an official language.

This is just my opinion but I wish the defenders of the irish language would admit just how much it costs to keep it alive (monetary and educationally) which could be put (in my opinion) to better use (ie i'd much have prefered to have learnt a second european language instead of irish, much more useful) but i'm starting to go off topic so will leave it there.

EDIT:
    Just wanted to add something.
    I live in a very tri-lingual country (switzerland) where there are 4 official languages. German, French, Italian and Romansch (yet it is only recognised by one canton). Romansch is spoken by about 1% of the 7.7 million residents in switzerland so for me it would be in a similar state as irish in Ireland yet it isn't imposed on their citizens like Irish is to ours..

Like in Ireland you would be expected to receive a reply in Romansch if corresponding with the federal government (not the cantonal authorities except in the one canton mentioned before). I have however never heard it used in federal parliament here.
    Rubbish, There is nothing to stop any TD from using Irish, It is not Impractible, Bi-lingualism is practiced in many Parliaments accross Europe, And can just as easily be practiced here. This is the Situation now in the Dáil and it has not caused any problems.
    The reason for my edit is this. While bi-lingualism (or even tri in this case) is used by many parliaments in europe, I wonder how many would use it to cater to the tiny % who speak it on a daily basis to the detriment of the vast majority who do not. I imagine the answer would be very few.

Advertisement