Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Leaders As Gaeilge

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

dubhthach wrote: »
    However I don't think it would be reason for having all Government services available in Swedish (including law making process) do you?

It's probably the politics of trading with a neighbour that makes it easier to share languages for both countries.
    I see it as a prime example of what a spoken language is good for ,communicating with neighbours. Probably making Finland a stronger country because of it.

But ,I really don't see the benefits of politicians speaking Irish ,until they've proven they have an audience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    ... I'm all for irish speaking as long as it's providing a return.

Not everything is a matter of money.
    Politicians debating in Irish ,serves only people who speak Irish and does nothing for the country....

Are you suggesting that Irish speakers are not part of the nation?

1. Not everything is a matter of money.

2. Are you suggesting that Irish speakers are not part of the nation?

1. When theres one of the worst recessions we've seen ,then it's all about the money.

2. Thats not what I'm saying ,politicians are the last people to promote things like the irish language at the moment. It's not going to do anything for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    1. When theres one of the worst recessions we've seen ,then it's all about the money.

I'm not saying that money is unimportant; I'm suggesting that there are other things in life that merit some attention. Are people to stop loving their families, or following their teams, or listening to their favourite music, or give up reading or television or whatever, because there is an economic crisis in Ireland? I'd tend to go the other way, and seek some happiness in areas other than economic ones.
    2. Thats not what I'm saying ,politicians are the last people to promote things like the irish language at the moment. It's not going to do anything for anyone.

There are some tens of thousands of people for whom Irish is an important means of communication. If people (including politicians) are happy to communicate with them in Irish, I don't see anything wrong with that.

And it does something for them: it affirms that the way that they live, using Irish for everyday life, is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This thread is a waste of space. Ireland has two languages, there may be a argument if this should be the case, an argument that should take place elsewhere. But here in the Election 2011 subforum this thread is concerned with whether there should be this debate, given that there are two languages and clearly there should be such a debate. </thread>

• Advertisement

And it does something for them: it affirms that the way that they live, using Irish for everyday life, is valid.

Thats terrible really ,putting some weight behind politicians speaking Irish by saying it validates peoples lives.
    Thats a low blow.

Advertisement