Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's A Slut?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

WhiteSlut.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

That show is awful. Awful.

Yes it is. So the references to all men being "players" etc is a moot point really. Some women are capable of the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

LimerickDan banned.

No more warnings, any more off-topic / After Hours 'hilarious' responses will result in a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Yes it is. So the references to all men being "players" etc is a moot point really. Some women are capable of the same.

Its apples and oranges. Two different topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There is no such thing in coaching women how to be sluts, or to be promiscuous without earning a rep as a slut.

IBSATCIRO

(In before Sex & the City is rolled out :pac:)

• Advertisement

What is this industry called then?

PUA I think. e.g. - Respect the cock, tame the cunt..etc.

magnolia.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To my mind, and it's just my opinion, a slut is someone who sleeps around and - this bit is the vital part - brags about it in an attempt to be seen as cool by their peers (and anyone else within earshot, on their friends facebook pages etc.), not because they're comfortable with their sexuality etc.

I don't care how many people anyone has slept with, it's none of my business. The only way it could affect me is if you're not mindful of your sexual health, but that's a different issue.

If you're repeatedly telling me about your conquests in an attempt to bond with me however, then please don't. This applies particularly if you're just doing it in an attempt to garner my approval (slut).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

WindSock wrote: »
    PUA I think. e.g. - Respect the cock, tame the cunt..etc.

I don't think that is representative of anywhere near a majority male opinion. Yes I am sure they make a lot of money but by and large, they are preying on vulnerable and lonely men.

I don't think that is representative of anywhere near a majority male opinion. Yes I am sure they make a lot of money but by and large, they are preying on vulnerable and lonely men.

Ah no, I don't think it is either. Don't think anyone was saying it was though, were they? Just an example of an industry that is available to men encouraging them to act in certain ways around women.

There are probably similar ones for women too, although not in a similar style. Finishing school or something may be considered one. How to pick up rich men.

Ah no, I don't think it is either. Don't think anyone was saying it was though, were they? Just an example of an industry that is available to men encouraging them to act in certain ways around women.

Oh yeah I get that. There are plenty of pretty dubious industries targeted at women too. The magazine industry is always trying to out-do each other with "Top 10 Tips to Drive Your Man Wild" etc.

I probably should have put that in my post as I meant to refer to the female versions of such industries. The point that brought up the PUA industry was that there are industries that make millions out of getting guys to have sex with as many girls as possible, but none that make women want to be slutty. I would argue that magazines aimed at women can play a role in the behaviour of some women. They probably have far greater influence than the PUA guys like Cruise played in Magnolia.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

caseyann wrote: »
    Along with men buddying up and encouraging and slapping eachother on the back for treating women like dirt just to get a shag.I think few and far between women do that.

I don't think they pat each other on the back for treating women like dirt, it's usually solely for getting the shag and you are right that sometimes does occur and to be honest I don't see a lot wrong with it

whereas maybe women are more guilty of the cockblock phenomenon so if a small group of women is out, then they are overly protective of their friend who looks like scoring usually based on the pretense that they are looking out for her but often the reality is it's based on insecurity about being left on their own, I've never experienced men behaving like that so both genders certainly contribute fully to the mess that is Irish sexual politics - we should all just go off with foreigners until we mature a bit!

I would argue that magazines aimed at women can play a role in the behaviour of some women. They probably have far greater influence than the PUA guys like Cruise played in Magnolia.

There are also a plethora of books in self help sections of shops, and romantic films where our heroine is not the slutty type but the unlucky in love one who in the end gets her prince, they slutty type one is rarely the main feature, but perhaps provides some comic relief.

Women can't be too available and have to create all these loops and games to keep the men interested or so we are told.

This type of thing for example. A set of rules concocted for unlucky women to lap up and reinact when they are trying to snare their ideal husband or some crap.

http://www.therulesbook.com/

There are also a plethora of books in self help sections of shops, and romantic films where our heroine is not the slutty type but the unlucky in love one who in the end gets her prince, they slutty type one is rarely the main feature, but perhaps provides some comic relief.

Women can't be too available and have to create all these loops and games to keep the men interested or so we are told.

This type of thing for example. A set of rules concocted for unlucky women to lap up and reinact when they are trying to snare their ideal husband or some crap.

Oddly a lot of those books, films etc feature a slutty man (for want of a better term) who is "redeemed" by the love of a woman.

And books like The Rules is always something to bring out my inner desire to bring back book burning for special one-off occasions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

My friends and I use it as a term of endearment, almost. :o It has virtually no meaning to me because we say it so often, whenever we see each other really. I think using a word as casually as I tend to use "slut" or "skank" reduces its derogatory meaning in the context of something that is said every day by quite a wide margin. However I would definitely take offence if someone called me a slut obviously intending to offend me. I suppose to me its meaning largely depends on context but it generally implies that the "slut" is promiscuous, has a lot of casual sex/sexual partners etc.

Do women find sexual promiscuity empowering, as seen in Sex and the City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Do women find sexual promiscuity empowering, as seen in Sex and the City?

The 1960s sexual revolution tried to make promiscuity part of the liberation, freeing your body from the shackles of patriarchy [see link EMME posted about the slut manifesto] and I'm sure some women do find it empowering, while others found it to be more pressure and with risks [as much as the feminists roared about the pill and abortion rights, the risks of pregnancy will always be there].

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

A slut/skank is really someone who has sex/gets with with anything regardless of whether the person is taken or not imho. Sleeping with who/how many a person wants should not really classify a lut tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Hmmmmmmm......personally i would consider a slut to be anyone, male or female, who is in a relationship but continues to find sexual encounters outside of that relationship without their partners knowledge.

I don't really like the word at all....but if i sit and think about it that is what i come to as a definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

There are probably similar ones for women too, although not in a similar style. Finishing school or something may be considered one. How to pick up rich men.

I am laughing at my monitor here. No offence but that is a load of bull****. The amount of womens magazines out there with "how to tame him" or "how to keep him on a leash" headlines is startling. So the fact you single out men with this crap speaks volumes of the contempt you seem to hold for them.

See above.

I am laughing at my monitor here. No offence but that is a load of bull****. The amount of womens magazines out there with "how to tame him" or "how to keep him on a leash" headlines is startling. So the fact you single out men with this crap speaks volumes of the contempt you seem to hold for them.

See above.

What the **** are you on about. Where did I single out men, and what for and where do I display contempt for them. Please show me as I am intrigued as to how you got this from my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

See above.

BS! "How to tame him" indeed!! If only... :rolleyes:

It's more like "10 all-new ways to please your man", "Drive him crazy with desire", "How to ensure he never wants to stray"... Sad and disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

racso1975 wrote: »
    :P

Banned, 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Haha. banned for 7 days? bit harsh. I thought the image was funny lol.

Anyways :P
    A slut for me (if used to described a girl) is defined by a girl who gives it out alot to different guys. For example (which I actually saw happen) lets call her Jane. Jane had mostly male friends she'd go out drinking with. They had her all. So yeah shes a text book 'slut' in my opinion.

And for anyone that wants to 'correct' me and say thats her choice ... it is. However who would wanna date a person whos been passed around like chain mail between friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

whatsamsn wrote: »
    They had her all.
    passed around like chain mail between friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Rabies wrote: »
    Just curious since the unreg.
    What age are you?

I'm in my 30's. I am not here to preach or say what people should or should not do but a lot of people do not think about their future.

Also, my belief is that society could benefit a lot if we as a humans started thinking that our actions have an after affect.

There is no more family union, family life. Most people seem to be happy to just get their "hole" or get their "itch" scratched without thinking about the consequence. That is all I'm saying.

If you want to do that, that is fine, but be open with people so they know and if the other party is only after that than I see no problem. The problem I find is with a woman or a man who have been around the block and than call themselves "Virgin Mary" or " The Stud".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Faith wrote: »
    It's very telling that you chose to hide behind anonymity for that post. At least have the courage of your convictions and post with your username. I have a friend who will only sleep with men she's in love with, but thankfully she doesn't judge me for having one-night stands.

Generally, I would say a slut is a word used to describe a woman who fully enjoys being single and is not sexually restricted, by people who are jealous that the woman enjoys the freedom that they would love to have, but don't.

No, I was not hiding behind anything, but rather not registered at that stage. I read the posts every so often but never wanted to reply until this caught my eye.

P.S. Still same user name! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭28064212

whatsamsn wrote: »
    A slut for me (if used to described a girl) is defined by a girl who gives it out alot to different guys. For example (which I actually saw happen) lets call her Jane. Jane had mostly male friends she'd go out drinking with. They had her all. So yeah shes a text book 'slut' in my opinion.

And for anyone that wants to 'correct' me and say thats her choice ... it is. However who would wanna date a person whos been passed around like chain mail between friends :)
    If she was someone I got on well with, enjoyed the company of, had good sex with, and saw a future with her, yes, why wouldn't I date her? And sleeping around within a select group of friends seems like healthier behaviour than a string of one night stands.
    Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I'm in my 30's. I am not here to preach or say what people should or should not do but a lot of people do not think about their future.

Also, my belief is that society could benefit a lot if we as a humans started thinking that our actions have an after affect.

There is no more family union, family life. Most people seem to be happy to just get their "hole" or get their "itch" scratched without thinking about the consequence. That is all I'm saying.
    That's all complete assumption. Plenty of people who have one night stands think about their future. Plenty of people who think it's better to wait and only sleep with "the one" do it for entirely misguided notions that they don't give any thought to.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

iguana wrote: »
    Isn't it olde-tyme slang for a woman with a dirty doorstep, or something like that.

That's exactly what it means/meant.

If you look at the etymology of the word, it began with the idea of cleanliness (or lack thereof) and a woman (or man) who kept a dirty house or person would be a slut or sluttish (although paradoxically the word was also used to describe a low-level cleaner in a household, generally a woman).

I think then when we began openly discussing/writing about sex, someone decided there was "clean" sex and "dirty" sex.

So we end up with the term being applied to a woman who engages in "dirty" sex ... whatever the user's idea of "dirty" sex is ... although some people still use it in the context of personal hygiene and general cleanliness.
    My guess is the whole concept of slut derives from the expectation that women are or should be choosy, in that they are the pracitioners of natural selection, the gatherers, the shoppers, the home keepers who pick and choose what food will be fed to the children, etc and that a woman who is too free with her body [a whole other argument deserving its own thread on the politics of the woman's body] is not being discriminating and therefore a threat to the process of natural selection and further more cannot be trusted and is unsavory and dirty, not even one careful owner type of thing.

Dirtying up the gene pool maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

28064212 wrote: »
    If she was someone I got on well with, enjoyed the company of, had good sex with, and saw a future with her, yes, why wouldn't I date her? And sleeping around within a select group of friends seems like healthier behaviour than a string of one night stands.

Well see,
    I am referring to a real life thing that happened. So if thats your view that is fair enough :)

But do you know what happened next? 'Jane' got into a relationship with a guy (a guy outside the friend circle who she even introduced to the friend circle) Guess what did she one night when the new guy wasnt out with her? she slept with one of her mates (One of the same mates she slept with before)

Advertisement