Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's A Slut?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭RonFan

iguana wrote: »
    Neither does the nonsense you are trotting out. It's just assumptive, uneducated pseudo-science, and has no bearing whatsoever on our biological impulses. There has never been any definitive proof at all that women enjoy sex less than men, none at all. And there has been plenty of, equally unsubstantiated, suggestions that women actually enjoy it a lot more.

I fully agree that women get more sexual pleasure from sex than men do. However, (from my experience, and I'd bet on this being the case for 99.9% of men) a man's impulse to have sex has very little or nothing to do with the actual sexual pleasure taken from the act of sex. It is the whole experience that provides a primitive sense of achievement and self-gratification, which women don't get from doing so. If women did, they would be seen as justified in being promiscuous, as men are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

RonFan wrote: »
    I fully agree that women get more sexual pleasure from sex than men do. However, (from my experience, and I'd bet on this being the case for 99.9% of men) a man's impulse to have sex has very little or nothing to do with the actual sexual pleasure taken from the act of sex. It is the whole experience that provides a primitive sense of achievement and self-gratification, which women don't get from doing so. If women did, they would be seen as justified in being promiscuous, as men are.

You're saying that the male experience trumps the female experience here and that is why it's ok for men to be promiscuous.

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Just because women experience different things from sex does not mean that their experience is any less valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RonFan wrote: »
    For clarification, I've bolded the parts of your post which, despite being phrased as facts, have no basis in reality, are backed up by nothing, and exist entirely in your head

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

RonFan,

Final warning. Stop peddling your personal opinion as fact or you will forfeit your right to post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What about a women who gives a college lecturer sex to improve her grades?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Nolanger wrote: »
    What about a women who gives a college lecturer sex to improve her grades?

That would be a total slut in my opinion.

There will always be a debate and what is generally seen as slutty behavior or not ... but if someone is willing to sleep with someone to improve grades (or get a promotion etc etc) then that IS a slut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

The real meaning.
    Although the ultimate origin of slut is unknown, it first appeared in Middle English in 1402 as slutte (AHD), with the meaning "a dirty, untidy, or slovenly woman."[2] Even earlier, Geoffrey Chaucer used the word sluttish (c.1386) to describe a slovenly man; however, later uses appear almost exclusively associated with women.[2] The modern sense of "a sexually promiscuous woman" dates to at least 1450.[2]
    Another early meaning was "kitchen maid or drudge" (c. 1450), a meaning retained as late as the 18th century, when hard knots of dough found in bread were referred to as "slut's pennies."[2] A notable example of this use is Samuel Pepys's diary description of his servant girl as "an admirable slut" who "pleases us mightily, doing more service than both the others and deserves wages better" (February 1664). In the 19th century, the word was used as a euphemism in place of "bitch" in the sense of a female dog.[2][3]
    Similar words appear in Dutch, German and Swedish dialects meaning "a dirty woman," indicating a common ancestor in Germanic languages. The word entered the colloquial Yiddish as "akhsluttishkha" meaning "a hag". It exists in Ukrainian too as slutyj as a loan word from Yiddish or via the mediaeval Scandinavian Varangian colonists in Kievan Rus'. A popular theory connects slut to earlier Germanic forms meaning "slush" or "mud puddle," but this derivation remains in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i don't really use the word slut to describe anyone. it implies that wanting to have a lot of sex, or wanting to have sex with a lot of people is a negative thing and I don't see why it is.
    I can see why people use the term to describe someone who cheats on their partner all the time, because then their sexual activity is negative, but even still i wouldnt call that person a slut, i'd call them an asshole or something.

when someone calls someone a slut, i think it says a lot more about their attitudes towards sex than the person they are actually talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

A slut is a male or female who engages in destructive sex..ie sex for negative reasons.Someone with low self-esteem putting themselves at risk of stis etc just for an ego boost.A girl doing the revenge **** thing is also a slut.A girl who deliberately gets ****ed up drunk and puts her safety at risk by propositioning random guys is a slut.A guy who doesn't care enough about his wonstandardsa and ****s any drunk vulnerable nasty whatever girl is a slutty guy.Equally straight guys who go to gay bars etc just to get a blowjob any blowjob are sluts...

On the contrary a male or female who practises safe sex and sleeps with people they find attractive etc is just someone who enjoys sex and isn't behaving sluttily whether they sleep with 3 people a year a month a week or a day.

Sluttiness refers to intention not appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

A slut is a male or female who engages in destructive sex..ie sex for negative reasons.Someone with low self-esteem putting themselves at risk of stis etc just for an ego boost.A girl doing the revenge **** thing is also a slut.A girl who deliberately gets ****ed up drunk and puts her safety at risk by propositioning random guys is a slut.A guy who doesn't care enough about his wonstandardsa and ****s any drunk vulnerable nasty whatever girl is a slutty guy.Equally straight guys who go to gay bars etc just to get a blowjob any blowjob are sluts...

On the contrary a male or female who practises safe sex and sleeps with people they find attractive etc is just someone who enjoys sex and isn't behaving sluttily whether they sleep with 3 people a year a month a week or a day.

Sluttiness refers to intention not appetite.

Bravo! Gender or sex (biological sense, but I like the pun intended,) doesn't come into sluttiness at all.

I think "slut," and "sluttiness" come to define all the negative things that sex can become for both men and women:
    Sex for personal validation, revenge, ego, manipulation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Humans are made to have sex thats why we have those certain body parts where they are, no other reason. So in my opinion noone is a slut their just obeying their nature :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What about a woman who has sex with a married man and then blackmails him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

.Equally straight guys who go to gay bars etc just to get a blowjob any blowjob are sluts...

WTF??
    Straight guys don't go to gay bars to get blow jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

.Equally straight guys who go to gay bars etc just to get a blowjob any blowjob are sluts...

I hate to break it to you, but guys that like sex acts from other guys are not straight. They might have hard time dealing with the fact, but that makes them bi-sexual.

Advertisement