Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's A Slut?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

trad wrote: »
    A slut is someone who sleeps with everyone except you.

That can't be true then everyones a slut to me :p

I think the amount of partners you have is a factor but its not the only factor, things like the ability to control your desire for multiple people as well as whether the "slut" (male or female) is in a monogamous relationship or not are also important factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    In my view you should only jump in to a bed with someone you get to know and believe if they / you were to get pregnant you could see yourself spending the next 50-60 years together.
    Why? No problem with you holding that view for yourself, but why is your view objectively better?
    Sorry to say, but if you don't look at it that way than we are no better than animals
    Again, why? If I'm making a decision to sleep with someone after weighing up pros and cons, that is totally different to giving in to baser instincts and humping the nearest leg

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Wibbs wrote: »
    as a man whore? Eh yea there is. In a big way.

I was replying to the original question, what's a slut?

It's not anything other than a term used to express disgust with a woman, usually linked to her sexual behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In my view you should only jump in to a bed with someone you get to know and believe if they / you were to get pregnant you could see yourself spending the next 50-60 years together.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion.

However If I applied that logic to the women I have been with I would at 27 have has one sexual partner and the possibility of my current girlfriend becoming my second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

if you don't look at it that way than we are no better than animals and yet we want to believe we are more intelligent.
    we are animals. and we are the most intelligent creature on the planet, and we do have our animal passions. I don't judge you or anyone for being monogamous any more than i judge anyone else for being polygamous, or for wanting a lot of sex without staying attached to any one person. If you want to preach, go somewhere else or start a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

I wouldn't be fond of using such pejorative terms towards either sex to be honest. Calling somone a slut is something you should probably grow out of after your teenage years. If you have a problem with a woman/man and their sexual behaviour (god knows why you would mind you) then you should be able to articulate it a little better than calling someone a slut.

What I would have considered 'a slut', or as close to it as I can define, at one stage would have been someone who has constantly has sex with different partners for the sake of itself. Not sex for the sake of enjoying sex but more going through the motions of it or making a point 'hey look I can fcuk whoever I want, whenever I want'. I guess I would have considered that slutty once upon a time. Now I just find it desperately sad behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

A slut is someone who validates themselves with sex and attention from males.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sorry to say all but for me a slut (usually only directed at woman although my view is the same even if the guy did this) is someone who very easily decides to jump in to a bed with someone who they hardly know.

I'm sick of the society tolerating this behaviour be it from a man or a woman. No wonder STD's are such a huge problem when people are behaving this way.

Sorry to say, but if you don't look at it that way than we are no better than animals and yet we want to believe we are more intelligent.
    Just curious since the unreg.
    What age are you?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sorry to say, but if you don't look at it that way than we are no better than animals and yet we want to believe we are more intelligent.

Even if you stay celibate all your life you are still an animal. Human Beings are a type of animal, not something separate. We are however, undoubtedly the most intelligent animal on the planet (unless the mice and dolphins really are just keeping their true abilities under wraps) regardless of our individual views about sex.

A man/woman who has had sex with 5000 other partners but can understand more than a few hundred words and can count into triple figures, clearly has more intelligence than those of other species.

Sorry to say all but for me a slut (usually only directed at woman although my view is the same even if the guy did this) is someone who very easily decides to jump in to a bed with someone who they hardly know.

I'm sick of the society tolerating this behaviour be it from a man or a woman. No wonder STD's are such a huge problem when people are behaving this way.

STDs aren't a problem because people are having sex. STDs are a problem because there is little or no sexual education in this country. It is a problem because condoms are generally still somewhat expensive and it is a problem because there's still so much guilt surrounding sex. God, I only buy condoms from Boots because I find that if I buy from the smaller pharmacies, there is still a large amount of tutting and shaking of heads. Jesus, get over it - if anything you should be shaking my hand for practicing safe sex!

To go back on topic - what is a slut? It's a derogatory term used against women with many sexual partners, which I find ridiculous because for most men to call a woman a slut is nothing less than hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

A slut is someone who validates themselves with sex and attention from males.

That sounds like someone with an attachment disorder to me

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

"Slut" is an insult, like d*ckhead or f*ckwit. It has no actual meaning in my eyes. Who uses it and when its used says more about the term than who its used on.

What people are descibing as a slut is in my opinion mixing up their own judgements based on their personal views about sex and women with good reason and logic. People can be selfish, ignorant, insecure, confident, manuipulative, sexually repressed,sexually liberated(what ever those terms mean in different cultures), not that into you, too into you, etc. etc. Mix any of the above with female sexuality and you have a "slut".

For instance, the women in the bar, who was drunk and 30 something and got off with 4 guys. Was the problem not that she was drunk and annoying people more of a factor? Where was the actual harm caused to anyone by her kissing the 4 guys? Where were the 4 guys while the kissing was happening?

PS loving the great debates in here over the last few days! Good to see the forum liven up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Emme wrote: »
    And what word do we use to describe a man who is indiscreet about his sex life?

Insecure!!

Anyone who feels the need to broadcast/share their sexual exploits is an embarassment to themselves really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Billy7878

slut noun ( SEXUALLY ACTIVE WOMAN ) /slʌt/ [C]
    slang disapproving a woman who has sexual relationships with a lot of men without any emotional involvement

now close this thread, u are making a lot of women nervous about tonights revelries and thats no help to us men globally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

That_Guy wrote: »
    My mam handed me out seconds for Christmas dinner. Was a fairly sloppy job tbh.
    Gets on my nerves man. Just because it's seconds doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated like the first helping. Brussel sprouts all over the plate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Someone who is extremely promiscuous who is also very crude and doesn't shut up about their sex life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Billy7878 wrote: »
    now close this thread, u are making a lot of women nervous about tonights revelries and thats no help to us men globally
    MyKeyG wrote: »
    Gets on my nerves man. Just because it's seconds doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated like the first helping. Brussel sprouts all over the plate.

Guys, this isn't AH.

Back on topic please.

M.

My sister says I'm a slut. Although that was when we had to skip two checkouts in Dunnes and go to a busy one cos I 'knew' the ladies serving. Her exact words were 'we'd be out of here now if you weren't such a slut bag' so I'm a slut bag.

maple wrote: »
    Guys, this isn't AH.
    Honest genuine question. What does AH mean?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Honest genuine question. What does AH mean?

:) After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Here's an economics article explaining how less sexual-conservatism could actually prevent the prevalence of STIs...

http://www.slate.com/id/2033/.

maple wrote: »
    :) After Hours
    Ah, I shoulda got that. You kids and yere crazy speak :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think I agree with a lot of posters when they mention being indiscreet and/or crude about it. Some things are private, and no I don't wanna know! Not that we shouldn't talk about sex, just not to everyone who will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's not anything other than a term used to express disgust with a woman, usually linked to her sexual behaviour.

I agree with this.

The term slut is tied up with sexual behaviour, specifically a woman's willingness to sleep with many partners, which is really nobody's business but her own. Unlike other pejorative terms, like assh*le and d*ckhead, the term is not related to obnoxious behaviour that impacts on other people. As such, it's not a term I elect to use myself, even casually. I wouldn't be a huge fan of its casual use either, though I accept some people do not use it in the very harsh and judgmental manner that it so often is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's very telling that you chose to hide behind anonymity for that post. At least have the courage of your convictions and post with your username. I have a friend who will only sleep with men she's in love with, but thankfully she doesn't judge me for having one-night stands.

Generally, I would say a slut is a word used to describe a woman who fully enjoys being single and is not sexually restricted, by people who are jealous that the woman enjoys the freedom that they would love to have, but don't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Faith wrote: »
    It's very telling that you chose to hide behind anonymity for that post. At least have the courage of your convictions and post with your username. I have a friend who will only sleep with men she's in love with, but thankfully she doesn't judge me for having one-night stands.

Generally, I would say a slut is a word used to describe a woman who fully enjoys being single and is not sexually restricted, by people who are jealous that the woman enjoys the freedom that they would love to have, but don't.

Wow. Calling someone judgmental and then pulling that out in your very next sentence? Little bit hypocritical.

I also agree with everyone who says it's mostly just a derogative slang word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Its a word people men and women use to degrade a woman.Nothing more nothing less.
    And someone said above it is for both men and women they think that if they do sleep around,that is not the case as women are slandered with the word but men are not.
    It is a side of society i hate.
    I personally call women sluts if they have done bad stuff on me but never use it because of their sexual encounters, as that is none of my business.
    Slut is another word dreamt up to keep women in their places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What about a woman who pays her rent by giving the landlord sex?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Nolanger wrote: »
    What about a woman who pays her rent by giving the landlord sex?

I'd be more likely to call her 'exploited' than 'slut'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fishie wrote: »
    I'd be more likely to call her 'exploited' than 'slut'

Common around one of the french unis apparently, was reading an article about it a while back :(

Advertisement