Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options
  • 29-12-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Really RTE, really?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

mloc123 wrote: »
    Really RTE, really?

It's actually the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x17n9

Rte are just showing it, they didn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Brendan O'Carroll always makes me feel uncomfortable whenever he's on tv, there's something just not quite right about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Colmo52 wrote: »
    It's actually the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x17n9

Rte are just showing it, they didn't make it.

That at least

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looks like every other single thing that brendan o'carroll has done, pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

With a trailer they usually show the good bits, well if thats the case me thinks this is going to stink big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Anyone watching this ? How the BBC took this on ill never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

This abortion is on my telly now, Christ above.

I think that had Hitler targeted O'Carroll and his fans then his actions would perhaps been looked upon with as benefiting humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I flicked it on at the ad break, pretty woeful stuff. He tasered himself twice. Ha. (I have found the Mrs Brown stuff funny on occasion)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Universal actually own the world wide rights, so expect it to appear on many networks and on DVD. It was made in BBC Scotland, and edited in London. I watched last night and thought it was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Lump wrote: »
    Universal actually own the world wide rights, so expect it to appear on many networks and on DVD. It was made in BBC Scotland, and edited in London. I watched last night and thought it was ok.

It was a repeat. Not funny the second time. It won't be Fr. Ted. I think RTÉ might have stayed away but people would be all talking about how wonderful the BBC are for commissioning it.

The one that was on last night was the new series wasn't it?

Lump wrote: »
    The one that was on last night was the new series wasn't it?

No RTÉ and BBC both broadcast it during the summer as a pilot.

Oh right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Elmo wrote: »
    No RTÉ and BBC both broadcast it during the summer as a pilot.

It was an updated version of the pilot shown last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

None of the stuff in that show last night was new material! I have the Mrs Brown DVD's and I had seen it all before. Some of the DVD's are 4 or 5 years old so I was expecting something new at this stage!

Colmo52 wrote: »
    It was an updated version of the pilot shown last night.

Ah i was thinking some things changed. Not for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

mloc123 wrote: »
    Really RTE, really?

What p!sses me off is that they said it was a new series, but the episode they showed last night, they showed about a million times before

StereoLove wrote: »
    What p!sses me off is that they said it was a new series, but the episode they showed last night, they showed about a million times before

They had it on once before and the series starts in full AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

To be clear, the original pilot was shown twice on RTE1 (at least). Last nights was a new episode which mostly contained material from the pilot.

It's not my cup of tea but I give a tip of my hat to O Carroll for getting his projects on air with the BBC.

• Advertisement

It's not my cup of tea but I give a tip of my hat to O Carroll for getting his projects on air with the BBC.

How unfortunate for the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Brendan O'Carroll always makes me feel uncomfortable whenever he's on tv, there's something just not quite right about him.
    That's because he's an Irish Mensa member who couldn't get a well-paid job or qualification because of his working-class background so he turned to comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

alan1990 wrote: »
    None of the stuff in that show last night was new material! I have the Mrs Brown DVD's and I had seen it all before. Some of the DVD's are 4 or 5 years old so I was expecting something new at this stage!

Oh Jesus no, they walk among us :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He got the show AFAIK on the basis of the fact that he brought the stage show to the UK, and the people took to it.. especially the Scots..

I seem to be in the minority here in that I think it's funny... The dialogue is certainly crude, the acting not exactly brilliant, and the storylines are simplistic... but I think the one liners are good.. And there were enough cheap laughs to put it well ahead of RTE's other "comedy" productions.

The BBC series is six episodes AFAIK, and that episode has certainly been shown on RTE before.. Like other posters I think that they have used up a lot of the good lines on the first episodes.. But we will see.

He got the show AFAIK on the basis of the fact that he brought the stage show to the UK, and the people took to it.. especially the Scots..

I seem to be in the minority here in that I think it's funny... The dialogue is certainly crude, the acting not exactly brilliant, and the storylines are simplistic... but I think the one liners are good.. And there were enough cheap laughs to put it well ahead of RTE's other "comedy" productions.

The BBC series is six episodes AFAIK, and that episode has certainly been shown on RTE before.. Like other posters I think that they have used up a lot of the good lines on the first episodes.. But we will see.

Just going to say Paths To Freedom, it should have changed RTÉ Comedy :(

This show is no more than Kinnaskully in Dublin, actually it is worse. I think the only redeeming feature of this show is that the BBC produced it but then they also produce Casualty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Elmo wrote: »
    This show is no more than Kinnaskully in Dublin, actually it is worse.

ah no way.. Killinaskully/Mattie are probably the worst written shows on Irish telelvision.. They should be considered kid's TV at this stage...

I think some of O'Carroll's jokes are clever, some are very LCD, but there is enough to make it worth watching.. the first episode at least..

ah no way.. Killinaskully/Mattie are probably the worst written shows on Irish telelvision.. They should be considered kid's TV at this stage...

I think some of O'Carroll's jokes are clever, some are very LCD, but there is enough to make it worth watching.. the first episode at least..

Really your saying the same thing. Killinaskully is a childrens show, Mrs Brown's Boys go for the LCD at times.

From watching both they aren't all that dissimilar, in actually fact I would suggest to both RTÉ and BBC that the censor some of O'Carroll's more rude jokes as he is always funnier when he has to get around that censor, he is still brilliant on old "late, late" interviews, not one blue joke.

mrs_brown.jpg00023a24-314.jpg

However I will give O'Carroll a few more goes with this series before being entirely critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

This show reminds me of the "When the Whistle Blows" - the sitcom that Ricky Gervais's character Andy Millman creates in Extras.
    While Gervais was taking the piss out of excruciatingly bad sitcoms O'Carroll obviously thinks his show is funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Utter garbage. And that contrived part where he gets up mid scene to get his handbag from the other room revealing (gasp!) the set and equipment is puzzling, not even remotely funny. The other strange thing about it is its American styling with that awful cliched incidental music that gets played between scenes. It really is pretty awful stuff. The only thing that could make it worse would be if Jason Byrne and Andrew Maxwell were in it... two individuals who are in clear contravention of any trade description act by calling themselves comedians.

Advertisement