Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

A cursing transvestite not very funny is he, apart from being funny in the head. Some advice for the tranny keep your dress below your ankles because we don't want to see your wobbly bits or whatever the fcuk you call them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

caught a few mins of this at a friends, funny to people who think some imp like Dub saying "fanny!" is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Just watched this for the first time tonight, 10 minutes in and it's easilly the worst comedy i've seen in years. There's something very early 90's about it, it's very odd.

yep, its about 20 yrs too late...but then again would they have shown this 20 yrs ago? i doubt it esp with the coarse language

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

fryup wrote: »
    yep, its about 20 yrs too late...but then again would they have shown this 20 yrs ago? i doubt it esp with the coarse language

Nighthawks had started around 1991 or 2, The End in around 1993. 25 - 30 years ago perhaps not.

I think it is 5 episodes now.

It is sentimental claptrap. It is My Family meets Roddy Doyle's Family, yet it isn't even as realistic as My Family and its only resemblance to Family is that it is set it Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I am not a great fan of Brendan o'Carrol but I thought this was good and some parts are excellent:)

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I believe 'tis very popular in the Kingdom. As in all Jackeens are like that:all Kerrymen are like JH-R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Spread wrote: »
    I believe 'tis very popular in the Kingdom. As in all Jackeens are like that:all Kerrymen are like JH-R.

Well they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whos the bird with the black hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

nuxxx wrote: »
    Whos the bird with the black hair?

Brendan o CarrollS daughter the ride

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

how many shows in this series. i must say i love the programme and think its gas. the only thing i like on a saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Finished now on RTE (except for the repeat). Starting on BBC next month I think. Second series commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

ricero wrote: »
    Brendan o CarrollS daughter the ride

Yeah she's lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The last episode was very poor compared to the others. It was like they ran out of ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Or KY gel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Is this the dry sh!te AGM?

it's a comedy, ye didnt find it funny? grand. Not everyone find some of the above mentioned comedies funny either, but guess what? it sold and it's doing well..deal with it!

It's scarily a more accurate portrayal of Dublin life than that Terry Wogan bullsh!t a few weeks ago on BBC.

If you like twee nonsense or up its own arse 'duhrk chomerdy' turn over to another channel. Simple.

irish begrudgery..if we could just ****ing bottle it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

david75 wrote: »

it's a comedy, ye didnt find it funny? grand. Not everyone find some of the above mentioned comedies funny either, but guess what? it sold and it's doing well..deal with it!

It's scarily a more accurate portrayal of Dublin life than that Terry Wogan bullsh!t a few weeks ago on BBC.

If you like twee nonsense or up its own arse 'duhrk chomerdy' turn over to another channel. Simple.

Well said David.

david75 wrote: »

Bull**** David. Bull****. Not Dry ****es.

I think if you had read most of the posts from most of the Anti-MBB brigade (I include myself) we all congratulated O'Carroll for getting this to production, but unfortunately it isn't a very good comedy (for many reasons which I won't go into again). Many of the pro-MMB brigade are just impressed with the fact that it was commissioned by the BBC and that it is doing well over there, typical Irish Self-consciousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

where was it tonight people? Making making way for the IFTAs I presume..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

where was it tonight people? Making making way for the IFTAs I presume..
    It's finished - only 6 episodes in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Elmo wrote: »

I think if you had read most of the posts from most of the Anti-MBB brigade (I include myself) we all congratulated O'Carroll for getting this to production, but unfortunately it isn't a very good comedy (for many reasons which I won't go into again). Many of the pro-MMB brigade are just impressed with the fact that it was commissioned by the BBC and that it is doing well over there, typical Irish Self-consciousness.

In your opinion, presumably? It seems alot of viewers disagree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Elmo wrote: »

828,000 viewers will disagree with you. O'Carroll is one of those acts you either love or hate (personally I love him; have done for years). Much of what goes on in Mrs Brown's boys could easily be identified as many Irish households in the 50s/60s, and 70s. It's what makes him popular. And let's face it - compared to the drivel that passes for comedy nowadays, he's a breath of fresh air. Long may he last.

And most of the pro-MBB brigade, as you term it, just want a laugh and a bit of craic. Which is exactly what this show provides. Who, pray tell, do you yourself admire on the Irish comedy scene today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

The normal type of personalities love this type of comedy. The upper-class toffs wouldn't relate to it at all nor find it funny. So, that what we have going on in this thread. Posh tarts and down to earth types. Love and hate. Isn't it grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Laragh

I think it's brilliant. Not everyone's cup of tea, fair enough, but there hasn't been an episode yet where I wasn't rolling around on the floor laughing.

I'd find the stuff BOC says hilarious and I'd find it hilarious if it was my own grandmother saying it. The awkward acting and mistake gags are all part of the fun - and there's something to be said for a show that makes the actors laugh so hard that they can't stay in the scene.

Sure if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it but I for one am delighted there'll be more Mrs. Brown coming my way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think this is hilarious and I think anyone who says otherwise is wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Think this thread deserves a Poll?
    Im on mobile so I cant start one before anyone says.
    It will be interesting what 'The Others' think when it starts on BBC1.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    And most of the pro-MBB brigade, as you term it, just want a laugh and a bit of craic. Which is exactly what this show provides. Who, pray tell, do you yourself admire on the Irish comedy scene today?

Audience figures tell you nothing about quality. Many people enjoy "Last Of The Summer Wine", it ran for decades.

It is funny how you take offence to my "pro-MBB brigade" and yet failed to notice that I actually used the term "anti-MMB brigade" first.

There are lots of great comedians out their on the Irish comedy scene (do I have to go through each one???? to prove something?), and if you had read my posts about Brendan O'Carroll you would have seen that I pointed out that he was always a good guest on TLLS when Gay Byrne was host.
    The awkward acting and mistake gags are all part of the fun - and there's something to be said for a show that makes the actors laugh so hard that they can't stay in the scene.

Either they have never read the script before or they aren't great comic actors. Notice how Brendan doesn't laugh at his own jokes.
    It will be interesting what 'The Others' think when it starts on BBC1.

Who cares? If they love it, brilliant for MBB. If they hate it, it still has a large following in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I see Mrs Brown's Boys starts on BBC1 on Monday night.

Bizarrely, BBC Norn Iron are doing their usual mental scheduling and have it at 11.35pm while the rest of the UK get it at 10.35pm

Be interesting to see what reaction it gets over there - seems like an odd choice to show it on BBC1. It got huge viewing figures here even though nobody I know liked it. Thought it was very poor myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

On at the Mo on BBC1 London, BBC1 Scotland & later BBC1 Wales & Norn Iron.

I'm shocked this has crawled in under the quality radar on BBC1 London.

Crud such as this airs in the peripheral backwaters and I know it was a co-production with BBC Scotland but jeez.

Perhaps it's our revenge for Keeping Up Appearances, Hale & Pace and Eldorado.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why? They part financed it I believe.

Can't wait for the Guardians "Last Nights TV" blog tomorrow.

Advertisement