Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

My Dad likes it and he isn't working class, but he lives in dublin and also finds Kinna funny. He was dissappointed by Mattie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Can someone help me:

I heard that there is a lot of friends and family of Brendan's in the cast and I was wondering who was who, could anyone help??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As ive said in a previous post, maybe its a Dublin thing? And theres no offence loaded in that statement.

If you could get a breakdown of the 600,000 figure obtained from the tv ratings providers i gaurantee the majority of the veiwers would show up as being in the dublin area.

I always figured it was the other way around actually. That it was people outside Dublin that found it appealing. Let's all laugh at the strange Dubliner type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

I think i know why some folks don't like it and others do.

Its down to snobbery... i think? :)

I feel people with more of a working class background will relate to this type of humor more so than a snobby upper class?
    I'm probably typing crap but thought id trough it out there:)

What about the success of Ballinaskully and Mattie and D'Unbearables? Can we assume that it was only the country folk who contributed to the massive viewing figures of these shyte shows?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

el diablo wrote: »
    What about the success of Ballinaskully and Mattie and D'Unbearables? Can we assume that it was only the country folk who contributed to the massive viewing figures of these shyte shows?

Still not as sad as a guy dressed as an old woman saying fcuk all the time & saying things like me luv you long time! Now thats the dunce demographic. duuuuuh heer mammy, da funny man wit da wig sayin bad wuurds again!!. Gerrowadat!!!

Wow embarrassing.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »

Well it seemed to be what you were suggesting when they went out on the TV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I have to say last nights one was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a very long time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

alan1990 wrote: »
    I have to say last nights one was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a very long time!!

Same here, scene at the meal had me falling round the place. And I am not mentally unstable, am not from Dublin, am not thick, am not worried about what people outside the country care ( cos believe it or not, they are intelligent, they will relaise its a comedy, not a documentary )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Same here, scene at the meal had me falling round the place. And I am not mentally unstable, am not from Dublin, am not thick, am not worried about what people outside the country care ( cos believe it or not, they are intelligent, they will relaise its a comedy, not a documentary )

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

alan1990 wrote: »

The scene with Mrs Brown running around the pub with the funeral, on a giant inflatable penis, was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Holy Warlord

It is not about any urban/rural or class divide.

This is a simplistic farce comedy lapped up by the soft-headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Am a pretty intelligent individual who is not in the least softheaded and finds it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

dlambirl wrote: »
    I heard that there is a lot of friends and family of Brendan's in the cast and I was wondering who was who, could anyone help??
    Well his real life wife plays his daughter.
    His real life daughter plays his future daughter-in-law.
    His real life sister plays his neighbour Winnie.
    The actor who plays Buster Brady has an O'Carroll surname so there's a good chance he's related somehow as well.
    There's probably more as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I thought it was hilarious! I never liked Brendan O'Carroll before but think he's a lot funnier as a woman! Call people soft-headed if ya want but its a hell of a lot better than the other dribble that RTE throws at us for the rest of the week! I think the divide on this is going to be similar to the Catherine Lynch love/hate affair.

I thought it was hilarious!

its a hell of a lot better than the other dribble that RTE throws at us for the rest of the week!

Being better than other RTE entertainment productions is hardly a strenuous test of its comedy chops.

Call me when it challenges truly worthwhile programmes like Fawlty Towers, Brass Eye, Black Books, I'm Alan Partridge, and Police Squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The actor who plays Buster Brady has an O'Carroll surname so there's a good chance he's related somehow as well.

Buster Brady is Brendan's son... and the northy wan who plays his daughter in law, is also his real life daughter in law..
    Call me when it challenges truly worthwhile programmes like Fawlty Towers, Brass Eye, Black Books, I'm Alan Partridge, and Police Squad.

Given the standard of RTE's last few efforts, it is not realistic to expect this... O'Carroll is LCD humour, but it will certainly give you a laugh.. more so than Mattie, killinaskully, Val Falvey which have been exceptionally poor efforts..

O'Carroll is LCD humour, but it will certainly give you a laugh.

Nope. Not certainly at all.

Call me daft but each of those shows come from pretty much different decades. As for Police Squad that's a bit out of place with the other ones.
    Given the standard of RTE's last few efforts, it is not realistic to expect this... O'Carroll is LCD humour, but it will certainly give you a laugh.. more so than Mattie, killinaskully, Val Falvey which have been exceptionally poor efforts..

Bar Val Falvey Mattie and Killinaskully both equal MMB in terms of a bit of a laugh IMO and I think that there is a pretension over MMB that it is some how better than either of Pat Shorts attempts, when in reality the only difference is the number of ****s placed in each series or as Mrs. Browne would say F.U.C.K Hee grut hee

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I'd rather watch an autopsy...

Elmo wrote: »
    Call me daft but each of those shows come from pretty much different decades.

What is your point here?

• Advertisement

What is your point here?

My point is that the BBC and US TV produce a huge amount of comedy outside the classic examples that you have mentioned. I know that the other cast of Monty Python for example were a bit surprised to see John Cleese in a traditional sit-com. And my other point is there are allot of horrible comedies from the UK and the US. For ever MASH there are 20 Perfect Strangers, for every Reginald Perrin there are 20 Last of the Summer Wines. For every Paths to Freedom guess what :( there are 20 MMBs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Oh it's produced by the BBC? lol.

Well fair play to the man. If he can convince the BBC to spend money on such ****e, good luck to him. It's when he takes it out of the ordinary public in Ireland that I have a problem with it.

He's probably ruining the Irish reputation abroad though.... and RTE couldn't spot a comedy worth buying if it was as good as Father Ted.

Well fair play to the man. If he can convince the BBC to spend money on such ****e, good luck to him. It's when he takes it out of the ordinary public in Ireland that I have a problem with it.

:rolleyes: Nothing would ever get made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I am not a great fan of Brendan o'Carrol but I thought this was good and some parts are excellent:)

:rolleyes: Nothing would ever get made.

Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Just watched this for the first time tonight, 10 minutes in and it's easilly the worst comedy i've seen in years. There's something very early 90's about it, it's very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watched this for the first time tonight, 10 minutes in and it's easilly the worst comedy i've seen in years. There's something very early 90's about it, it's very odd.

Also just watched it myself for the first time and also found it dated, especially the decor!!

Either way there were some lines that did make me laugh and it's just a light entertainment show and nothing to get worked up about like some people do on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also just watched it myself for the first time and also found it dated, especially the decor!!

Either way there were some lines that did make me laugh and it's just a light entertainment show and nothing to get worked up about like some people do on this thread!

The decor is supposed to reflect what an old woman's house would like look like in Finglas. It's pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

It was rubbish
    same ol' same ol'
    nod nod wink wink say no more , and bobs your uncle crap
    sterotyped to the hilt, it had it all, token gay, token posh aul wan, clergy, tough northerner, token cream cracker, a funeral, and some toilet humour....

eventful I give it that...but not exactly re-inventing the crapper though

• Advertisement

Bar Val Falvey Mattie and Killinaskully both equal MMB in terms of a bit of a laugh IMO and I think that there is a pretension over MMB that it is some how better than either of Pat Shorts attempts, when in reality the only difference is the number of ****s placed in each series or as Mrs. Browne would say F.U.C.K Hee grut hee

Mattie and Killinaskully are both far superior to MBB. Killinaskully was pretty decent for a while before it jumped the shark, then people got sick of it. But for a while Killinaskully was well liked by a lot of people.

I saw two episodes of Mattie and while I didn't see it going anywhere, it was still funny at times. The problem with Mattie is that it was getting stale fast. There was no characterization going on (that I cared about anyway). But as RTE attempts at comedy go, Mattie was decent. So I'm not just criticizing everything RTE puts out in terms of comedy.

Val Falvey was absolute rubbish, maybe MBB is about equal to this, the same with "Project Haha".

Advertisement