Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I watched a bit of last night's episode for the laugh, "so to speak"

Absolute cr*p. It's pathetic when you have to add the words fu*k, fu*king and bucking to a sentence to make people laugh. A line like "Get out that door" wouldn't raise a titter from anyone. But say "Get out that fu*king door" and the studio audience is in stitches.

I'd be interested to see tonight's BBC viewing figures. If the show was so fantastic on Xmas night it should hit the 10 million mark again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sligojoek wrote: »

I'd be interested to see tonight's BBC viewing figures. If the show was so fantastic on Xmas night it should hit the 10 million mark again.

Im convinced it got such high ratings on Christmas Day because most families were too drunk and or asleep to turn over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

HAHA!....i almost pee'd me knickers when mammy and agnes got stuck together, LOL.....much better episode last night, loads of LOL moments.

syklops wrote: »
    Im convinced it got such high ratings on Christmas Day because most families were too drunk and or asleep to turn over.

Did that rule apply last xmas as well?....or when it runs regular non seasonal episodes?

What cant people SUPPORT this Irish program!

But seems the Telegraph are as much bamboozled by it all as some of you are here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10542116/Mrs-Browns-Boys-New-Year-special-review.html

Its not high brow, its not original, its a working class auld comedy that harps back to yester years and the much loved xmas day comedys.

jenjenten wrote: »
    Did that rule apply last xmas as well?....or when it runs regular non seasonal episodes?

Why cant people SUPPORT this Irish program!

Coz its sh1te, thats why. If it was funny I could get behind it but as another poster said relying on the F-word is not clever nor funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Nothing to do with it being Irish. I generally support Irish Drama and Comedy. I even defended the lowbrow Kinnaskully, I even sat through the whole 6 episodes of The Cassidys. I have no problem with BoCarroll at all, i think he can be quite funny and I think it is great for him do be doing so well. But like The Cassidys and Kinnaskully Mrs. Browne isn't very funny IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

IMO its nothing to with the fact that it is Irish, it is just not funny. I am sure even BOC would agree we are all entitled to our opinion. I am not going to argue to the toss over ratings, they are what they are.......it just baffles me.
    MBB is old hat, all been done before and using the "F" word profusely does not make it funny.

^ 9.4 million people found it funny........i do wonder if you hate it just because, tyoical Irish begrudgery!

^ 9.4 million people found it funny........i do wonder if you hate it just because, tyoical Irish begrudgery!

I dont hate it, I just don't find it as side splittingly funny as some people do. I also find some of the sexual innuendo unnecessary.

I love Fr Ted.
    I love the IT Crowd(written by an Irishman, starring an irishman)
    I love Black Books(written by an Irishman, starring an irishman)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hows it begrudgery? I dont find it funny and most people with half a brain know the same. Its a comedy aimed at dim wits. It always reminds me of Andy Millmans character in Extras. Its quite sad that 9 million watch it IMO

My Mam and Dad watch it, my Dad thinks its horrible and he will watch most sitcoms. I have no idea how people find this low brow and lame attempt at humour funny.

Fair play to Brendan though, hes milking it and racking the money in. Couldnt happen to a nicer fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hows it begrudgery? I dont find it funny and most people with half a brain know the same. Its a comedy aimed at dim wits. It always reminds me of Andy Millmans character in Extras. Its quite sad that 9 million watch it IMO

My Mam and Dad watch it, my Dad thinks its horrible and he will watch most sitcoms. I have no idea how people find this low brow and lame attempt at humour funny.

Fair play to Brendan though, hes milking it and racking the money in. Couldnt happen to a nicer fella.

Really :eek:
    It's funny that some posters here feel some kind of moral superiority just because they don't like a TV comedy show.
    You kind of have to wonder just who are the dim wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

My Mam watches a lot of horrendous TV shows and when it comes down to it I think she is quite dim. She laughs at curse words and stupid situations.

Theres no moral superiority, Its just a stupid comedy aimed at stupid people and I stay clear of it because I prefer smarter shows that actually make me laugh rather than cringe every time I watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The problem is simply that the comedy isn't very good. Most of it you see the joke coming a mile off. Then you have old well-known jokes being reused and changed slightly to suit the show. It relies too much on crudity and swear words to try and make a bad joke slightly funnier. And the performances overall simply aren't great.

It has nothing to do with not supporting it or begrudgery based on BOC being Irish. It's simply that it's lowest common denominator comedy. Throw enough sh*te at the wall and some of it will make some people laugh.

The only reason it gets high ratings at Christmas is because it's something the whole family can watch. That doesn't make it good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The problem is simply that the comedy isn't very good. Most of it you see the joke coming a mile off. Then you have old well-known jokes being reused and changed slightly to suit the show. It relies too much on crudity and swear words to try and make a bad joke slightly funnier. And the performances overall simply aren't great.

It has nothing to do with not supporting it or begrudgery based on BOC being Irish. It's simply that it's lowest common denominator comedy. Throw enough sh*te at the wall and some of it will make some people laugh.

The only reason it gets high ratings at Christmas is because it's something the whole family can watch. That doesn't make it good.

If all that was true (ie a crude, poorly made and unfunny sitcom), it would be struggling badly in the ratings, especially after three series. In reality, it appears to be on the up and up with it's ratings actually increasing from year to year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Westlife, Bieber etc can pack out the O2. Very popular, but do you think he/they are any good, just because lots of people go see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Strazdas wrote: »
    If all that was true (ie a crude, poorly made and unfunny sitcom), it would be struggling badly in the ratings, especially after three series. In reality, it appears to be on the up and up with it's ratings actually increasing from year to year.

I didn't say it wasn't funny. That's far more subjective. I'm merely commenting on the flaws of the programme and why a lot of people think it isn't funny, to point out that whether BOC is Irish or not doesn't mean we should support the programme or begrudge him for it. It's just simple enough to appeal to a wider range of people.

Anyone who watched the Xmas special and didn't see things like Mrs.Brown on the revolving tree, or the scumbag lad's cracker exploding coming a mile off have never seen a comedy programme before. Same with the jokes about her giving the other old woman her Christmas card, or the grandfather having sucked the chocolate off the peanuts. They're barely funny in the first place, let alone when you foresee it coming. The rest of the episode was so forgettable that I can barely remember any of the other bits in it (which proves my point about why it gets such high Xmas ratings, it's something put on for everyone to watch, but it doesn't mean everyone watching finds it funny).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Westlife, Bieber etc can pack out the O2. Very popular, but do you think he/they are any good, just because lots of people go see them?

I'm sure the people going do, and that they enjoy it, so why does it matter if someone else finds it subjectively good or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I love Mrs browns boys and i am certainly no dim wit and am far from stupid. Doesn't matter that i could see the joke coming from a mile off. Maybe its a reflection of how bad other so called comedy shows are at the moment. There was a series on before Christmas based in the UK starring Jason Byrne and Pauline mcglynn that was well and truly awful. mario rosenstocks programme was awful. We have to look for repeats of old comedy shows to get a laugh these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ten million would easily tune into a live televised public execution. Doesn't mean it's entertaining though.

It does actually

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There's no point complaining about Mrs Browns boys...its a well known fact that standard comedy reaches out to a larger audience and cutting edge comedy has a smaller following... I've noticed Mrs Brown's boys has got families watching together so that's not a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There's no point complaining about Mrs Browns boys...its a well known fact that standard comedy reaches out to a larger audience and cutting edge comedy has a smaller following..

Indeed. The genius of Limmy doesn't get the audience it deserves.

Doesn't just apply to comedy. 'The Wire', a masterpiece of television writing had paltry viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Aidric wrote: »
    Indeed. The genius of Limmy doesn't get the audience it deserves.

Doesn't just apply to comedy. 'The Wire', a masterpiece of television writing had paltry viewing figures.

I love Limmy's Show but his humour can be fairly bleak/black/bizarre much of the time. It's why I like it but it's hard to see a huge amount of the larger public ever getting turned onto it.

Ah, since this is the Mrs. Brown thread, let's see if we can get a few more into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I didn't say it wasn't funny. That's far more subjective. I'm merely commenting on the flaws of the programme and why a lot of people think it isn't funny, to point out that whether BOC is Irish or not doesn't mean we should support the programme or begrudge him for it. It's just simple enough to appeal to a wider range of people.

Anyone who watched the Xmas special and didn't see things like Mrs.Brown on the revolving tree, or the scumbag lad's cracker exploding coming a mile off have never seen a comedy programme before. Same with the jokes about her giving the other old woman her Christmas card, or the grandfather having sucked the chocolate off the peanuts. They're barely funny in the first place, let alone when you foresee it coming. The rest of the episode was so forgettable that I can barely remember any of the other bits in it (which proves my point about why it gets such high Xmas ratings, it's something put on for everyone to watch, but it doesn't mean everyone watching finds it funny).

It seems the show is being bashed for being an unsophisticated, crude and unoriginal sitcom. But it has never claimed to be anything other than an unsophisticated, crude and unoriginal sitcom......in fact, it positively revels in it.

What appears to be galling to it's critics is that such a formula actually works and that many people actually want to watch a simple, dated, bawdy and slapstick comedy with very old fashioned humour. Perhaps people have grown a bit tired of clever, highbrow and intelligent sitcoms with smart wordplay and lots of irony and pathos and are relishing this return to the simple slapstick / pantomime comedy of decades ago (it's interesting too that many younger people seem to like MBB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Some people will like something, other people won't. That's how it is, we're all different.

If someone doesn't like something, they may not want vinegar on their chips then that's grand I'll leave their chips plain, I wouldn't go berating and haranguing them why they hate vinegar and try forcing them to like it!

Some people dislike MBB then that's fine, their opinion so why need to be vocal or pushing their dislike on others making MBB fans look stupid for adoring the show.

You may be a fan of a programme which is not my cup of tea and I wouldn't give you grief about that as it is your life, pity some people can't see that.

Me mates and I were rolling round howling with laughter at Mammy & Winnie being stuck by the spray-on glue, feckin' hilarious & great gas indeed!

I've had few bouts of depression with thanks to the bleedin' downturn of the last few years, Agnes Brown is a tonic, she has cheered me up without fail.

I'm sure the British fans are not laughing at us Irish, they are probably thankful to an Irish show for bringing back old fashioned comedy, toilet humour warts and all!

I accept there always will be non-fans of the show, plenty of them to notice here on Boards! As well as the haters, there are many fans of MBB out there so I and others are not the only ones.

Just ignore those screaming their dislike and all will be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,028 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It seems the show is being bashed for being an unsophisticated, crude and unoriginal sitcom. But it has never claimed to be anything other than an unsophisticated, crude and unoriginal sitcom......in fact, it positively revels in it.

What appears to be galling to it's critics is that such a formula actually works and that many people actually want to watch a simple, dated, bawdy and slapstick comedy with very old fashioned humour. Perhaps people have grown a bit tired of clever, highbrow and intelligent sitcoms with smart wordplay and lots of irony and pathos and are relishing this return to the simple slapstick / pantomime comedy of decades ago (it's interesting too that many younger people seem to like MBB)

You are spot on.

I do not necessarily like the show in the sense that I would not make a point of sitting down and watching it.
    However any time I do see it I find myself laughing at some of the stuff in it.
    And I hate myself for it.
    I'm far too sophisticated for that tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

briany wrote: »
    I love Limmy's Show but his humour can be fairly bleak/black/bizarre much of the time. It's why I like it but it's hard to see a huge amount of the larger public ever getting turned onto it.

Absolutely and Limmy himself would admit to that. He is a sufferer of depression and I think in a roundabout way his comedy acts as an outlet for that.

Yep, tastes differ. MBB has a sizeable market, a market for people who just want a simple slapstick comedy served up to them.
    RahenyD5 wrote: »
    Some people will like something, other people won't. That's how it is, we're all different.

As above, comedy is entirely subjective. To criticize O Carroll for delivering a simple product loved be many seems pointless. You don't have to love it, but you got to concede he has nailed that corner of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,622 ✭✭✭✭walshb

eisenberg1 wrote: »

I don't know about Bieber, but Westlife always put on a terrific show.

Advertisement