Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Brown's Boys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

As if the country wasn't enough of a laughing stock already! Jesus wept....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

mike65 wrote: »

Can't wait for the Guardians "Last Nights TV" blog tomorrow.

Unless it's written by Garry Bushell, Brendan ain't gonna be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Seems the english are actually enjoying it on the whole... :eek:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1333101&page=3

Edit: check out the twittering on it too...theyre loving it. well done brendan I suppose, not my cup of tea at all but fair play!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mixed opinions I think its fair to say!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

I think it's a heap of shi-te. Same crack that was on the DVD's. Recycled.

Give me the Savage Eye anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mike65 wrote: »
    Mixed opinions I think its fair to say!.

Definitely more positive than negative I would have thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Didn't it do very well ratings wise in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Didn't it do very well ratings wise in this country?

It had more viewers than the late late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Doodah7

ehmmm, isn't there a twenty-odd page thread on this series already. Surely we don't have to rehash the merits and demerits of the show again!:eek::eek::confused:

Very bad reviews

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/reviews/856143-mrs-browns-boys-was-just-jaw-droppingly-past-its-sell-by-date
    It was either a full Moon last night or I’d slipped into a parallel universe because suddenly everything went very 1972.
    Not the cool, enigmatic 1972 of Ziggy Stardust though.
    No, this was the nightmare 1972 where the funniest thing that could happen to a 92-year-old man was having an anal probe forcibly ensconced in his orifice.
    This was the truly terrifying – and present-day – world of Mrs Brown’s Boys (BBC1), starring one Brendan O’Carroll in the title role, a ‘comedy’ hewn from the dark materials that spewed forth such gems as Love Thy Neighbour and Bless This House.
    You can YouTube those horrors but Mrs Brown’s Boys – which, oddly, features no boys – is happening now. The BBC should hang its head in shame.
    The cross-dressing O’Carroll’s shtick is to play a typically overprotective Irish mammy with a female style channelled from Les Dawson on an off-day.
    The twist being that Mrs Brown has a mouth on her, so everything is feck this and feck that. Hilarious.
    There’s an attempt at a postmodern touch – you get the odd glimpse of a studio audience splitting their sides (I’m guessing there was free Guinness) but the humour itself was monumentally irony-free.
    Fancy a sample?
    Try ‘that’s a banana, not a willy – it won’t get bigger if you squeeze it’ on for size.
    That was typical of a seaside-postcard boarding-house nightmare that tossed off near-the-knuckle masturbation gags and sloppy sentiment in equal measure, taking reactionary aims at men, therapy and anything remotely modern along the way.
    It wouldn’t matter if it was remotely funny but it was just jaw-droppingly past its sell-by date.
    That the BBC has given time to this RTÉ drivel is one bad joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Colmo52 wrote: »

Read the comments left by viewers at the bottom of his review they loved it and its they who you have to please not one reviewer they dont even like his review, I would say this is going to be a big winner for O Carroll. and the BBC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Read the comments left by viewers at the bottom of his review they loved it and its they who you have to please not one reviewer they dont even like his review, I would say this is going to be a big winner for O Carroll. and the BBC

The worst thing about that review is that they think RTÉ made it when in fact it was the BBC that did.
    It wouldn’t matter if it was remotely funny but it was just jaw-droppingly past its sell-by date.
    That the BBC has given time to this RTÉ drivel is one bad joke.

The reviewers in Ireland didnt lke it when it aired here but it was the most viewed program of the week so the same could happen across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mrs Browns Boys has hit the American pyrite sites too now that it's on BBC. They always carry much of the English stuff other than a few stand out shows like Top Gear and Shameless.

Will probably get the show a much larger audience than any TV run, will be interesting to see how it's taken up.

2.64million people watched it on BBC One last night :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a305183/bbc-comedy-mrs-browns-boys-grabs-26m.html

Edit: There are two Mrs browns boys threads so can one of the mods merge them plz. :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70796341#post70796341

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not sure who said it (probably Sam Goldwyn) but someone in the entertainment industry once said that nobody ever got poor underestimating the taste of the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

Mrs Brown's Boys is a comedy for morons made by morons (and yeah, I know Brendan O'Carroll is supposed to have a high IQ, as he never shuts up about it, but talking about your high IQ makes you a moron by definition). It is one of the worst comedy shows I have ever seen and an embarrassment to this country. He seems to have given every good line to himself (well, his definition of good lines) and surrounded himself with a supporting cast who appear as if they are attending an acting class. It's very crude humour without any wit at all and it doesn't even have the excuse of being set in the 60s or 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not sure who said it (probably Sam Goldwyn) but someone in the entertainment industry once said that nobody ever got poor underestimating the taste of the general public.

Wasn't that PT Barnum?

joannaman wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's Boys is a comedy for morons made by morons (and yeah, I know Brendan O'Carroll is supposed to have a high IQ, as he never shuts up about it, but talking about your high IQ makes you a moron by definition). It is one of the worst comedy shows I have ever seen and an embarrassment to this country. He seems to have given every good line to himself (well, his definition of good lines) and surrounded himself with a supporting cast who appear as if they are attending an acting class. It's very crude humour without any wit at all and it doesn't even have the excuse of being set in the 60s or 70s.

800,000 irish people and 2.5million brits would disagree with you.

800,000 irish people and 2.5million brits would disagree with you.

Well at least 800,000 Irish people are morons so he's missing out on some, if you ask me. As for the Brits, there are enough idiots there who just like hearing irish people saying feck and arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

2.6m is alright really, surely EastEnders had 10m or so watching.

Bad Review
    Mrs Brown's Boys was just jaw-droppingly past its sell-by date
    TV Review: Mrs Brown's Boys (BBC1) was not even remotely funny, the BBC should hang its head in shame.
    Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/reviews/856143-mrs-browns-boys-was-just-jaw-droppingly-past-its-sell-by-date#ixzz1Ei1LwW7c

Good Review
    Don’t be fooled by the slow start or the dated sit-com feel – this is laugh-a-minute stuff.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/columnists/todays-tv/2011/02/21/mrs-brown-s-boys-bbc1-10-35pm-115875-22938103/#ixzz1Ei28PwrD

• Advertisement

Well at least 800,000 Irish people are morons so he's missing out on some, if you ask me. As for the Brits, there are enough idiots there who just like hearing irish people saying feck and arse.

I found it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Going by this they absolutely love it.:D Even people that didn't want to like it are really surprised.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1333101&page=4

Jaysus.

Merge these threads. I don't care how much you love Brendan.

He's a flute.

I found it funny.

Commiserations!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Merged Mrs Brown's Boys threads..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭galwegians

mloc123 wrote: »
    Really RTE, really?

brilliant i love it,
    good irish craic.

Commiserations!

:confused: ????

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marstan

Mrs Browns Boys is like the sitcom Ricky Gervais didn't want to make in Extras. When the whistle blows. A program for idiots.

Why have BBC NI, BBC London or BBC Scotland any interest in a ladyboy pensioner from Dublin?

It's a sad case. This was the perfect opportunity for the Brits to ridicule us again. They seem to have missed that chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I really liked it, as did everyone I've spoke to that watched it.

Why does comedy always have to be intellectual for fuck sake? Sometimes, people just want to laugh.

Advertisement