Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedian Frankie Boyle on Jordan & Harvey.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Either you make jokes about everything or you can't make jokes at all.
    Personally I Love Frankie Boyle for the fact that he does push the boundries, theres nothing worse than a comedian who plays it "safe".
    So you think racist jokes about black people should be allowed to be aired on Channel 4? I agree with what your saying in the sense that it should be FREE SPEECH should mean Free speech but it doesn't does it. So if we go by that logic, then racist jokes, gay jokes, should be allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

aw c'mon now how can anyone find humiliating a 7 year old child on national TV funny?? Certainly not one of the PC brigade and have very little time for Jordan but essentially what happened here is you have a fully grown man bullying and making a fool out of a 7 year old partially blind child with learning difficulties, that doesn't have a chance to stick up for him self, all on national TV, . Don't mind so much him making jokes about disabled children as a group, i think they are in bad taste but i don't wish to censor people so i just wouldn't watch it but when you name a specific child it becomes bad form. Its not the kids fault his mam is jordan and for once i actually think she's right if anyone is gonna fight your corner it'll be your mam!! I'd think less of her if she let this go. Pretty much equates to bullying imo
    Also must say it doesn't reflect well on Frankie Boyle if he has to resort to cheap slurs against an innocent 7 year old to get a laugh!! You wouldn't catch Michael Mcintyre, David o Doherty or the likes at this kind of carry on, they don't need to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

vonnie10 wrote: »
    aw c'mon now how can anyone find humiliating a 7 year old child on national TV funny?? Certainly not one of the PC brigade and have very little time for Jordan but essentially what happened here is you have a fully grown man bullying and making a fool out of a 7 year old partially blind child with learning difficulties, that doesn't have a chance to stick up for him self, all on national TV, . Don't mind so much him making jokes about disabled children as a group, i think they are in bad taste but i don't wish to censor people so i just wouldn't watch it but when you name a specific child it becomes bad form. Its not the kids fault his mam is jordan and for once i actually think she's right if anyone is gonna fight your corner it'll be your mam!! I'd think less of her if she let this go. Pretty much equates to bullying imo
    Also must say it doesn't reflect well on Frankie Boyle if he has to resort to cheap slurs against an innocent 7 year old to get a laugh!! You wouldn't catch Michael Mcintyre, David o Doherty or the likes at this kind of carry on, they don't need to...
    I agree with that. The problem is why did channel 4 air such a joke on national TV. To be honest, the whole concept of the show seems to be based on really vulgar jokes.

I have a dark sense of humour too but Boyles problem is doing it on national TV and the aiming of a young kid with seight problems isn't going to help him or look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I agree with that. The problem is why did channel 4 air such a joke on national TV. To be honest, the whole concept of the show seems to be based on really vulgar jokes.

Channel4 have always walked the line on taste.

I'm old enough to remember The Word and some of stuff on that would still be shocking today, twenty years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Frankie Boyle says whatever the f**k he likes, this is free publicity for him, and in a lateral way, Jordan. Ironic also that this is picked up by the racist Daily Mail, who probably took perverse delight in including a previous attack on Harvey at the end of the report :
    Harvey himself has found himself under attack before.
    In November 2007, Heat magazine gave away a sticker bearing a picture of Harvey next to the words 'Harvey wants to eat me'.
    The then editor Mark Frith apologised and said 'no offence was intended.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bit too far and not funny either (and Ive a terrible sick sense of humour :P ).

As far as I'm concerned the celebrities are fair game but any jokes about specific kids as distinct from kids in general are/should be off limits really. Except celebrity kids, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

ebixa82 wrote: »
    I don't think the child is disabled...just a black, mentally retarded, blind, supersized kid...

Sounds like Shaquille O Neill when at the free throw line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Anyone that says this is "freedom of speech" is talking crap because 1) freedom of speech is an American concept and 2) freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever the hell you like about people.
    Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation, or both. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes used to indicate not only freedom of verbal speech but any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

As for Frankie Boyle, I think he's about as funny as Roy Chubby Brown or Bernard Manning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I watched the DVD about a week ago.
    He has a go at Harvey, Baby P, Madeline McCann, nothing is out of bounds.
    It was too far but but I loved every minute of it.

If you're easily offended don't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If the woman is think and crude enough to put her child in the limelight to make a fast buck, its open season as far as I'm concerned.

Frankie is a funny man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Well dark humour isnt everyones cup of liquidised dead baby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

macam girl wrote: »
    I understand that Harvey is of mixed race parentage and he has learning disabilities and a disease that affects his growth hormones. Of course some people would translate that as
    :(

Wont be back if you guys think its ok to slag a disabled 7 year old child.

Errr no mate - thats called having morals.

Taking moral stands on the internet is like eating magic beans to cure cancer.

Look I thought Ebixa's joke was funny, mad offensive but it was funny you need to accept that not everyone has a saccharine brand of inoffensive humour as you clearly do.

Harvey's mother is hardly the barometer of taste or decency either. This is the woman who'd sprinkle crisps on the dressing room floor for him to graze so he'd be distracted while she did showbiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Pathetic attempt at humour, that's what happens when people like Boyle start to run out of material - they take the cheap and easy shots. What he said is dark but there's very little humourous about it.

...(and I have a dark, twisted sense of humour).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

There is only so many paddy irish man, and chicken crossing the road jokes out there, some people have to think outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I like Frankie Boyle but the joke was too low. But at the same time I wouldn't lash out at him over it, this is the type of comedy he performs. Change the channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can never formulate a hard and fast rule for these things. My initial feeling is that it's low to single out an individual (as opposed to children in general) disabled child publicly for ridicule, but then again I've told arguably worse jokes (and found same funny) in private company and probably even on here.

I'd be willing to give Jordan the benefit of the doubt re: her anger as she's a mother at the end of the day. If it was my kid I'd want to kick his head in, but again, I've laughed at worse.

Good luck with anybody trying to formulate a unequivocal moral response to dodgy humour, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Namlub wrote: »
    Is there someone I can complain to because he's painfully unfunny in general?

i will hunt you down and kill you. you dont deserve a brain:mad:

seriously - how can anybody NOT find frankie boyle funny:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BQQ wrote: »
    I still don't get it :o
    He's big, strong, and angry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

As a big fan of Mock the Week I think Frankie made the program. His speed of thought and quick delivery is impressive.

:confused:

Seriously do people actually believe that mock the week is all improvised? It's clearly prepared/scripted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Frankies a recovering alocholic and takes the piss out of himself too. If you don't like him, don't listen to him.

I remember the whole debate about Tommy Tiernans Down Syndrome joke....PC Brigade please STFU.

TT still suffers at the box office, no doubt the same may apply to FB. Let it be a lesson for all low life comics.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

whycliff wrote: »
    I dont understand this.

Everyone has a disabled or mentally challenged relative, including me, i'd imagine Frankie even has one himself.

Its a joke, not to be taken overly seriously.

I'd say Frankie is the one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Not sure if the show had a disclaimer of any kind (maybe it did) but if it didn't, it should have, as again - the content was so clearly going to offend a large portion of the audience and would have done no harm.

In fairness, if you're at a Frankie Boyle gig, you know what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Anyone else see this?

Katie Price has called in her lawyers after comedian Frankie Boyle made a vile sexual slur against disabled son Harvey on his Channel 4 show Tramadol Nights.
    Former Mock The Week star Boyle, 38, said on the show, which is watched by one million viewers :

'Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey - eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him.'

OK with that, though not very original it is a style of joke I like
    He then added: 'I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from f****** her...'

This is just nasty and clearly looking for attention. Even if he'd said she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from eating her it could be seen as acceptable black humour. Bringing the sexual side into it is a bit sinister, and putting potential offensiveness to one side, it isn't very funny in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

There is only so many paddy irish man, and chicken crossing the road jokes out there, some people have to think outside the box.

you mean jokes about anal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I thinks it's important to look at the context. As a big fan of Mock the Week I think Frankie made the program. His speed of thought and quick delivery is impressive. I really admire his comic fearlessness, he doesn't do PC never has and never will. If you see him live, he is as brutal about himself and his own family as he is about anyone else. He can be a shock to the senses if you don't know him. But his style is not to be taken literally and that's the point.

It's all scripted and rehearsed. They give the guests the categories a week before the show and let them write their responses. The guests then have a pre-show meeting where they plan the exchanges. It's all very well done and looks impromptu, but it isn't.

In fact, I'm pretty sure you can watch Frankie's rehearsals on Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well Jordan parades her son in public a lot and herself a lot too. She wants to live her life on the front page so she has to take the **** that comes with it.
    Frankie Boyle humour is all about being shocking anyway so its no real surprise, he has said a lot worse I imagine
    yeah....imagine parading your kids around in public..burn her

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that we should be more sympathetic towards Frankie Boyle. After years of alcohol abuse, more than half his brain cells have been dissolved, leaving him with a serious lack of judgement.

He'll probably have to spend more time looking over his shoulder after this, because one of Jordan's fellow neanderthals will be on his trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What I found more offensive was reading an article that described an incident where Jordan had a row with an old guy who felt he deserved a disabled space more than her because he was old.Some of the comments were pretty offensive because of who she was.Did she-the mother of a disabled kid not deserve to park in said space without getting a load of abuse.It's one thing making a crude gag about disability on tv,we expect it from Frankie but using it as a weapon in a real life situation is way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Frankie Boyle is one of the best comedians I've seen in recent years, fearless, acerbic, quick-witted and woe betide to any hecklers who might throw themselves in his path.

Here's another offensive joke, free speech people, you don't like, you don't watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think he can be funny at times and i watched the dvd and it was mostly okay, but its a long time since he's said anything original. pretty much EVERY joke to come out of his mouth in the last couple of years was robbed verbatim from the sickipedia.org 'sick joke' website. (NSFW, or for anybody tbh. I'm not even linking to it, you can type it in manually if you must)

Advertisement