Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedian Frankie Boyle on Jordan & Harvey.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

whycliff wrote: »
    I dont understand this.

Everyone has a disabled or mentally challenged relative, including me, i'd imagine Frankie even has one himself.

Its a joke, not to be taken overly seriously.
    Irrespective of it being Jordan or not, every (well most!) parents feels a deep sense of love and care towards their offspring.
    So if someone was to go on national television and say such a cruel joke about and upon a child that cannot retort and/or stand up for themselves, a parent might indeed feel that its unfair victimisation of their child in the public domain.

Fair enough, take the piss out of Jordan, if only for she puts herself forwards into the public arenas - but to insult a disabled child leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for many.
    ...And really, how good is a comedian when he/she has to stoop so low in material that they have to insult kids, disabled or not, in such a cruel way?

People are free to disagree with me, they will hold their own views, fair enough - but disagree knowing exactly the other side of the coin and don't dismiss their feelings away just like a wave of a hand!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

ebixa82 wrote: »
    What part of my post do you have a problem with?

Somebody said the child was disabled and I corrected them...please tell me which part of my post was factually incorrect.

And welcome to AH..

LOL

I think macam girl doesn't realise that is true about the kid...

People reporting posts as well. LOL

Political correctness gone made...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I don't think the child is disabled...just a black, mentally retarded, blind, supersized kid...
    I don't think we'll ever be taking lessons from you about what's offensive or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The Shtig wrote: »
    I giggled reading that :P

Best if Jordan just ignored the comment, she's just drawing attention to something she most likely wouldn't want to and is making herself a bigger target in future to similar jokes.

Not like her to turn down the opportunity to make a few shillings though.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Johro wrote: »
    I don't think we'll ever be taking lessons from you about what's offensive or not.

Ok, I should have said morbidly obese and not supersized...I'm very sorry but I was in the midst of eating a McDonald's as I typed that post...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I thinks it's important to look at the context. As a big fan of Mock the Week I think Frankie made the program. His speed of thought and quick delivery is impressive. I really admire his comic fearlessness, he doesn't do PC never has and never will. If you see him live, he is as brutal about himself and his own family as he is about anyone else. He can be a shock to the senses if you don't know him. But his style is not to be taken literally and that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's the offending episode.

Frankie Boyle on Princess Diana:

"I don't see the point in holding a Pop concert to commemorate Princess Diana. She had nothing to do with Pop music....They should have done something to commemorate what was great about her life...

....by holding a gangbang in a mindfield"

Ok, I should have said morbidly obese and not supersized...I'm very sorry but I was in the midst of eating a McDonald's as I typed that post...
    :rolleyes: 'Supersized' I don't have a problem with. I'm talking about your posts in general. But you know that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 macam girl

I think macam girl doesn't realize that is true about the kid...

I understand that Harvey is of mixed race parentage and he has learning disabilities and a disease that affects his growth hormones. Of course some people would translate that as
    just a black, mentally retarded, blind, supersized kid..
    :(
    And welcome to AH..

Wont be back if you guys think its ok to slag a disabled 7 year old child.
    Political correctness gone made...
    Errr no mate - thats called having morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I don't think the child is disabled...just a black, mentally retarded, blind, supersized kid...
    What part of my post do you have a problem with?

Somebody said the child was disabled and I corrected them...please tell me which part of my post was factually incorrect.

And welcome to AH..

While the description is 100% accurate, did you need to point out that he was black? How does that relate to whether or not he's disabled?

I'd just like to point out at this juncture though, that I don't have a problem you your post.:)

Johro wrote: »
    :rolleyes: 'Supersized' I don't have a problem with. I'm talking about your posts in general. But you know that already.

How would I know that already? You commented on one post. Elaborate or keep shtump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I thinks it's important to look at the context. As a big fan of Mock the Week I think Frankie made the program. His speed of thought and quick delivery is impressive. I really admire his comic fearlessness, he doesn't do PC never has and never will. If you see him live, he is as brutal about himself and his own family as he is about anyone else. He can be a shock to the senses if you don't know him. But his style is not to be taken literally and that's the point.

Hold on, you actually think that they're not given titles of rounds or the questions in advance? I wish I were as innocent as that! A huge amount of what he said on MTW was from his stand-up stuff.
    He can be pretty good but I saw his last stand-up show in Vicar Street and while I had a few good laughs it wasn't as good as I expected and his TV show is piss-poor. It does seem he's gone past black humour into just nastiness.
    I think MTW made a lot of what he said acceptable as well because it framed it as being something that wasn't just a random attack on someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

The whole, look at me, I say some outrageous, offensive and crazy stuff, I'm mad me, jokes, get very boring very quickly.
    He was barely tolerable at the beginning, but it's the same s*** every week now, it's boring and repetitive. He's a Scottish Tommy Tiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Frankies a recovering alocholic and takes the piss out of himself too. If you don't like him, don't listen to him.

I remember the whole debate about Tommy Tiernans Down Syndrome joke....PC Brigade please STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

KeithM89 wrote: »
    This one?:

I dont remember Richard Hammond complaining about it either...

Man, I love everyone's reaction to that joke. And it was funny.

Frankie Boyle (and Hugh Dennis) was the funniest thing about Mock The Week, and he was very good on it. His show, Tramadol Nights, VERY hit and miss. And more miss. But humour police can go to hell. You start censoring one joke and it's a slippery slope. People who complain about humour they find distasteful have way, WAY too much time on their hands and should put their energy towards something more productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Although I agree that Frankie Boyle is sharp and quick, I think that his comedy is outright lazy. I watched a stand-up show of his on telly and had to turn over after twenty minutes... up to this stage all he had done was point at people in the crowd and said things like 'Haha, you're fat!' or "Haha, you're a man in a pink shirt, you must be gay!'. It was all very school yard and not at all clever. It was cringeworthy and made me uncomfortable.

I haven't watched anything of his since and have gone out of my way to avoid any tv shows he has been on. I prefer a comedian with geniune wit, intelligence and coherence, rather than simple bullying tactics.

I see your point but which clever comedians are you talking about?
    I think Jimmy Carr's humour is quite clever but it can also be quite rude and offensive. Even his own father dislikes him though, but that's another story.
    Bill Bailey? Dylan Moran? Tim Minchin? Lots of comedians can make ya laugh with just their spin on everyday situations or relationships. Also, there's slagging off and there's slagging off. I think in this instance he took it too far. But then his type of comedian seem to be trying to outdo each other for shock value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i like him....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is it PC of a person to find it cruel on the kid? I'm not sure whether it is - unless disliking cruelty constitutes political correctness? And I'm pretty sure many of those who'll shout loudly about it are the very same types who'd say "Political correctness gone MAD!"

macam girl wrote: »
    I understand that Harvey is of mixed race parentage and he has learning disabilities and a disease that affects his growth hormones. Of course some people would translate that as
    :(

Wont be back if you guys think its ok to slag a disabled 7 year old child.

Errr no mate - thats called having morals.

Well it looks like we won't be seeing you again around these parts anytime soon so..

But I wish you all the best..

Dudess wrote: »
    Is it PC of a person to find it cruel on the kid? I'm not sure whether it is - unless disliking cruelty constitutes political correctness? And I'm pretty sure many of those who'll shout loudly about it are the very same types who'd say "Political correctness gone MAD!"

No but it's "PC" to suggest that someone shouldn't be allowed say it.

Isn't Dwight Yorke the father?

No wonder Harvey wants to **** his own mother...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jimmy Carr was asked in an interview was there anyone he wouldn't joke about,for instance disabled people.He replied no as he wanted to treat everybody equally,it would be unfair to disabled people if he left them out.No matter what a jokes about it's gona offend somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

amacachi wrote: »
    Eh yeah, that isn't it.

I know yeah, how embarrassing.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

zerks wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr was asked in an interview was there anyone he wouldn't joke about,for instance disabled people.He replied no as he wanted to treat everybody equally,it would be unfair to disabled people if he left them out.No matter what a jokes about it's gona offend somebody.

Then he joked about Britain having a great paralympic team for 2012 because of the Afganistan and Iraq wars. Then he got in trouble, even though apparently there were a group of disabled soldiers at the gig and they found it funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

With Frankie Boyle it is all just for laughs, there's no real malice behind what he says.
    You can't say the same about the likes of say Jim Davidson or Roy Chubby Brown, they have an agenda and it shows.

Advertisement