Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedian Frankie Boyle on Jordan & Harvey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As much i have enjoyed frankie over the years, if someone said something about my kids, i'd feel i have the right to punch them in the face....couldn't arsed about suing or anything...i wouldn't be upset or anything....just standing up for my family

That's why it is pretty stupid, lowest common denominator humour.

It's funny and hilarious as long as he doesn't offend me personally. Not very smart tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

As much i have enjoyed frankie over the years, if someone said something about my kids, i'd feel i have the right to punch them in the face....couldn't arsed about suing or anything...i wouldn't be upset or anything....just standing up for my family

Jeremy Clarkson style.

Instead of suing them, just gave 'em a clatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's not a good joke.

I'm not offended by it - I just think it's sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

almighty1 wrote: »
    Whatever, the Baby P one is disgraceful. You obviously don't have kids or only have the mental capacity of one.

He knows his onions when it comes to off-colour jokes,however. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

It's almost blackmail where those offended by the "joke" are looked down on by those who find it "funny".

Something similar happened to Billy Connolly where he was deliberately misquoted and deliberately misinterpreted when he passed a "joke" about the kidnap victim Ken Bigley, in Iraq.

This time Boyle has over-stepped the mark, deriding a child with a severe handicap.

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »
    Not sure what you're getting at here. People do have the right to not be offended or find the joke funny. I'm not saying they can't find it funny if they want to.

How can somebody ''not listen'' to their child being ridiculed on national television? I doubt many parents would take it lightly tbh.

In any case, isn't there a middle ground between just ignoring something and demanding censorship, though?

I personally don't agree with censoring Frankie Boyle, even if it was my child he was taking a cheap shot at. I would, however, let him know I was royally p1ssed at my child being used for a cheap laugh. I doubt he would care that he offended me and I wouldn't expect or even want him to be banned/ censored/ whatever. I wouldn't be content however with putting up with his jibe just because some people found it funny.

All I'm saying is I can understand where Jordan's coming from. I'm not saying Boyle didn't have the right ( in the legal sense) to say what he did.

Harvey is front and centre when it suits Madame's career. He's on the radar, thanks to his publicity-hoor mother.

Any normal parent would shield him from the revenous rapicious British 'media'.

Plenty of celebs from A-Z keep their kids screened from public scrutiny, Jordan does the opposite. She has only herself to blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

whycliff wrote: »
    Anyone else see this?

Katie Price has called in her lawyers after comedian Frankie Boyle made a vile sexual slur against disabled son Harvey on his Channel 4 show Tramadol Nights.
    Former Mock The Week star Boyle, 38, said on the show, which is watched by one million viewers :

'Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey - eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him.'

He then added: 'I have a theory about the reason Jordan married a cage fighter - she needed a man strong enough to stop Harvey from f****** her...'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1337095/Katie-Price-refuse-apology-Frankie-Boyles-sexual-slur-disabled-son-Harvey.html#ixzz17ey0qYAS

Is this too much, too far.

I pissed myself laughing when I heard him say it, but that was it I thought no more about it.

When comedians take to the stage is it a free for all, should it be??

'Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey " There are many underlying assumptions (or frames in NLP speak) to this statement. One of those assumptions is that Jordan and Peter Andre each want custoy.

"eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him". In this statement one of the underlying assumption is that they each don't want custody.

This is the bread and butter of comedy. By making statements with underlying assumptions that contradict underlying assumptions of the audience you create humour.

It's not the content that brings most laughter, it is the structure.

If Frankie Boyle said they don't want custody that wouldn't be nearly as funny.

So if you laughed at the joke and feel guilty don't be too hard on yourself. It is the structure you primarily find funny. Although these hidden assumptions can be great for revealing your own hidden assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

The selfish cúnt still hasn't apologised to me for being forced to look at her manky orange face for the last few years.

So she can **** herself along with her request for an apology. Dopey fúckin geebag.

'Jordan and Peter Andre are still fighting each other over custody of Harvey " There are many underlying assumptions (or frames in NLP speak) to this statement. One of those assumptions is that Jordan and Peter Andre each want custoy.

"eventually one of them will lose and have to keep him". In this statement one of the underlying assumption is that they each don't want custody.

This is the bread and butter of comedy. By making statements with underlying assumptions that contradict underlying assumptions of the audience you create humour.

It's not the content that brings most laughter, it is the structure.

If Frankie Boyle said they don't want custody that wouldn't be nearly as funny.

So if you laughed at the joke and feel guilty don't be too hard on yourself. It is the structure you primarily find funny. Although these hidden assumptions can be great for revealing your own hidden assumptions.

Yeah, that one is funny but I'm sure it has been done before. Plagiarism? ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Not sure what you're getting at here. People do have the right to not be offended or find the joke funny. I'm not saying they can't find it funny if they want to.
    QUOTE]

People do not have the right not to be offended. Just say I'm offended by people using boards, with your logic I have the right to make you stop using boards.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's not a good joke.

I'm not offended by it - I just think it's sh*te.

It's a standard joke for comedians structuraly, contentwise it is edgy and at the expense of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I watched both them episodes of tramadol nights on 4od because usually i think hes funny. Watched the first one, thought it was ****e. Said I'd give it one more try and watched the 2nd one. Even worse. Totally gone off him now. Wont be watching any more. His first 5 mins on both was just callin the front row fat and/or ugly. Easy pickings. He's as bad as that Irish bloke who got his head kicked in for doing that in Temple Bar.

Regards the Jordan joke, it wasnt funny. It was just shocking. People seem to confuse the two. They're not laughing at the joke, they're laughing at the fact that he said something so manky. People were laughing when he was calling the front row fat. People also laughed when he slagged a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Harvey is front and centre when it suits Madame's career. He's on the radar, thanks to his publicity-hoor mother.

Any normal parent would shield him from the revenous rapicious British 'media'.

Plenty of celebs from A-Z keep their kids screened from public scrutiny, Jordan does the opposite. She has only herself to blame.

Jordan pushing her son into the spotlight does not mean Boyle's ridicule of him is justified. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to have said what he did... however, I fail to see how anyone wouldn't empathize with a mother's disgust/upset at the suggestion that her disabled son wants to have sex with her. That's just my opinion though. Would you ( as in the general 'you') expect any mother to put up with the comment Boyle made?

Sure, I would defend his right to say the joke... I also however feel it was in bad taste and he should be prepared to acceptt that people will get offended by it and they've a right their opinion too.

Clearly, having a 'publicity-hoor' for a mother means you should just accept people making fun of your disability for shock value. Some people do find it hilarious after all.
    QUOTE]

People do not have the right not to be offended. Just say I'm offended by people using boards, with your logic I have the right to make you stop using boards.

Except that's not my logic at all. I've repeatedly said I believe people do have the right not to be offended if they want.

To take your example, I could say I'm offended by people using boards all I like it but doesn't mean I can force people to stop using it. However, my right to voice my offense remains. As does the right of those to voice their non-offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Nope.

Except that's not my logic at all. I've repeatedly said I believe people do have the right not to be offended if they want.

To take your example, I could say I'm offended by people using boards all I like it but doesn't mean I can force people to stop using it. However, my right to voice my offense remains. As does the right of those to voice their non-offense.

Saying you have the right to voice your offense is like saying the sky is blue. You do not have the right not to be offended. You have the right not to be assaulted, you can have them arrested and the police will intervene if they can while you are being assaulted. There is nothing you can do to prevent yourself from being offended or have someone arrested for offending you. You can voice your opinion all you want, but you don't have the right not to be offended. What if someone is offended by the sun's existence, what can you do about it, nothing, it will always be there offending you. To think you have the right not to be offended is quite an arrogant attitude as you do not have the right to control the world around you.

Saying you have the right to voice your offense is like saying the sky is blue. You do not have the right not to be offended. You have the right not to be assaulted, you can have them arrested and the police will intervene if they can while you are being assaulted. There is nothing you can do to prevent yourself from being offended or have someone arrested for offending you. You can voice your opinion all you want, but you don't have the right not to be offended. What if someone is offended by the sun's existence, what can you do about it, nothing, it will always be there offending you. To think you have the right not to be offended is quite an arrogant attitude as you do not have the right to control the world around you.

Depends, if it is incitement to hatred, it can be prosecuted. Obviously doesn't apply in this case.

K-9 wrote: »
    Depends, if it is incitement to hatred, it can be prosecuted. Obviously doesn't apply in this case.

You still don't have a right not to be offended. In order to have the right not to be offended that means you have the right not to be offended in all circumstances. You may have the right not to be offended given xyz , but that doesn't mean you have the right not to be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

There is a line between being crude and being funny. Frankie Boyle does not know where that line is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Jordan pushing her son into the spotlight does not mean Boyle's ridicule of him is justified. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to have said what he did... however, I fail to see how anyone wouldn't empathize with a mother's disgust/upset at the suggestion that her disabled son wants to have sex with her. That's just my opinion though. Would you ( as in the general 'you') expect any mother to put up with the comment Boyle made?

Jordan is not just "any mother" though. She is absolutely cynical in using her son whenever it suits her to promote her own career so its a bit rich of her to take offence when someone takes a shot at her because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Were always been told to treat handicapped people the same as everyone else so why should we exclude them from comedy.

• Advertisement

Jordan is not just "any mother" though. She is absolutely cynical in using her son whenever it suits her to promote her own career so its a bit rich of her to take offence when someone takes a shot at her because of that.

Harvey didn't ask to be put in the limelight. Also it wouldn't be cheap
    looking after Harvery. The more money the better for his well being.

Taking offense isn't a choice for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

ITT: Hey everyone, pretend to be offended so we exhibit erection inducing self-righteousness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

ebixa82 wrote: »

Fcuk Jordan anyways, the dumb (self made multi millionaire) cnut..

fixed that there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

jordans son is disabled

So are a lot of toilets.
    The McCanns aren't disabled.

You could debate that one...tapas anyone?

Frankie is a funny bastard, I've seen his live dvd and his "If I could reach through your tv and strangle you I would".

In one of his shows there are two young teenaged boys there with one of the boys father and mother. Frankie asks the parents if it was a good idea to bring their son to the show, then he tells the son "it's ok, they know you ****" "your mum **** too", "sometimes she **** your dad", "but what they don't know is that you think about your mum **** your dad when you're ****". The whole theatre were in stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Harvey didn't ask to be put in the limelight. Also it wouldn't be cheap
    looking after Harvery. The more money the better for his well being.

Taking offense isn't a choice for most people.

Harvey didn't ask to the put in the limelight. But she put him there anyway like the cynical money-grubbing slag that she is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

1210m5g wrote: »
    Were always been told to treat handicapped people the same as everyone else so why should we exclude them from comedy.

Ah but a taking a shot at a particular, named 7yo (disabled or not) is cheap to say the least. Talking about kids in general = fine. Slagging off a particular kid = bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Here apparently, but only if you do it in an oh so indirect way.
    Gold star for you...
    i will hunt you down and kill you.you dont deserve a brain:mad:

seriously - how can anybody NOT find frankie boyle funny:confused:
    You won't though. Wow fanboys are tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

He is hilarious,the Harvey joke was priceless.
    I do think the sketches on his new show arent very funny though.

If you dont like him then dont watch,simple as.Jordan has put her personal life in the publics eye and unfortunately this means her son is fair game.

At least he will never see the show to be upset.

catthinkin wrote: »
    fixed that there :)

Hedi Fleiss is wealthy. I see you have no compunction how money is made as long as its made. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

1210m5g wrote: »

You don't make jokes about blind disabled 8 year olds raping their mother. End of.

Advertisement