Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedian Frankie Boyle on Jordan & Harvey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

ebixa82 wrote: »
    How would I know that already? You commented on one post. Elaborate or keep shtump!
    Apologies. Got ya mixed up. Retarded, I know.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the worst thing about all this is that Jordan will use this as an opportunity for even more publicity and that in my book makes her 1000 times worse than franky. I mean, any sensible person would just ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

zerks wrote: »
    Jimmy Carr was asked in an interview was there anyone he wouldn't joke about,for instance disabled people.He replied no as he wanted to treat everybody equally,it would be unfair to disabled people if he left them out.No matter what a jokes about it's gona offend somebody.

:D

This is the only time I will ever laugh at Jimmy Carr!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

amacachi wrote: »
    Hold on, you actually think that they're not given titles of rounds or the questions in advance? I wish I were as innocent as that! A huge amount of what he said on MTW was from his stand-up stuff.
    He can be pretty good but I saw his last stand-up show in Vicar Street and while I had a few good laughs it wasn't as good as I expected and his TV show is piss-poor. It does seem he's gone past black humour into just nastiness.
    I think MTW made a lot of what he said acceptable as well because it framed it as being something that wasn't just a random attack on someone.

You assume that I thought Mock the Week was aired in 'real' time? Don't, despite all the premeditation everyone had on MTW, he kept managing to steal the show. I've been to a lot comedians live and they're usually never as funny as their DVD, but that's to be expected I suppose. I haven't seen his TV show since he left mock the week, so I can't comment on that.

There are quite a few comedians I'd put on my favorites list ahead of Frankie I can assure you. It's his irreverence that I admire, so many comedians are so formulaic - joke about pedo priests, joke about sexual position, job done, it's all so tired.

No one should be above a bit of slagging. A really good friend of mine was quoting one of Frankie's joke for ages. The one about Peter Mandelson......"He's gay and he's a Lord."......"He's a gaylord!" This friend is gay and it totally cracked him up, he loved it. That's the point I was also making earlier about PC jokes. By making certain issues taboo, your virtually acknowledging that the subject matter is somehow 'not normal', different than the rest of us and that to me is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sure - I fully agree a lot of seemingly bad-taste jokes are actually good-natured and inclusive, they help break down barriers. But there's a difference between a joke like that and a cruel put-down disguised as a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Well Jordan parades her son in public a lot and herself a lot too. She wants to live her life on the front page so she has to take the **** that comes with it.
    Frankie Boyle humour is all about being shocking anyway so its no real surprise, he has said a lot worse I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Well Jordan parades her son in public a lot and herself a lot too. She wants to live her life on the front page so she has to take the **** that comes with it.

I don't think anyone objects to Jordan being slagged off. It's slagging off a child that people are arguing with. He had no choice whether to be in the media or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Johro wrote: »
    Bill Bailey? Dylan Moran? Tim Minchin? Lots of comedians can make ya laugh with just their spin on everyday situations or relationships. Also, there's slagging off and there's slagging off. I think in this instance he took it too far. But then his type of comedian seem to be trying to outdo each other for shock value.

Originality is what makes them funny.

This is more funny because it's Jordan, but it is a cheap shot. I always think low blows like that are often a sign of a comedian in decline, bit like Tiernan. He can be funny but it's very Roy Chubby Brown to me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

A hint of over-mothering here on Jordan's behalf in fairness....
    Surely the lad can stand up for himself??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

THe simple answer is if you don't like his comedy routine, then do not watch it or complain to the tv station that shows it. There are lots of comedians that I don't like but I don't go around waiting to be offended by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Then he joked about Britain having a great paralympic team for 2012 because of the Afganistan and Iraq wars. Then he got in trouble, even though apparently there were a group of disabled soldiers at the gig and they found it funny.

But there is a bit of thought behind that, unlike Boyle's joke. Carr can be cutting at times, but there usually is a point or it's a pun. There is no intelligence to this, it's a cheap shot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I love Frankie Boyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

And here's a picture of little Harv.....

Katie+Price+Family+Arriving+LAX+2xxdK1Nz-1_l.jpg

For all his bull **** and whatnot,Peter Andre seems a bloke that could bring some kind of stability to the poor fella's life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

staker wrote: »
    For all his bull **** and whatnot,Peter Andre seems a bloke that could bring some kind of stability to the poor fella's life

Joke referring to title of a Peter Andre song in 5...

staker wrote: »

True, I always thought of him as a vain knobhead, but that interview with Kay Burley really showed up the human side of him.
    I guess gingers do have their uses after all....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Katie+Price+Family+Arriving+LAX+2xxdK1Nz-1_l.jpg

Haha, look at the stupid head on him! It's as though he's deliberately trying to look retarded for the photo.

(no wonder Jordan left him.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Either you make jokes about everything or you can't make jokes at all.
    Personally I Love Frankie Boyle for the fact that he does push the boundries, theres nothing worse than a comedian who plays it "safe".

bonerm wrote: »
    Haha, look at the stupid head on him! It's as though he's deliberately trying to look retarded for the photo.

(no wonder Jordan left him.)

Wasn't it nice of them to give Harvey a policeman's uniform? :D

Somebody bring up the picture, I don't know how to do it....

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Personally I Love Frankie Boyle for the fact that he does push the boundries, theres nothing worse than a comedian who plays it "safe".

This fella didn't do too bad:pac:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFC0O393DQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

While I would agree with that, I'd think the joke would have to be funny. Can't really see the humour in Frankie's joke. I don't generally dislike him but the best humour has a grain of truth. Can't see what the crack about Harvey trying to get up on his Mum was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

Harvey Price... the only person in the entire world who hasn't seen Jordan's baps.

Ironic, no?

+1 for the whole humour being subjective argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That opinion is held up as a fact far too much. And while people are entitled to view this as a joke, some might view it as just a crass cheap shot, which they're just as entitled to.
    Not saying for a second I'd want it censored, but while there's the excessively moralising brigade, there are also reasonable people who don't find this funny, and if they want to say that, well I don't see it as any worse than others expressing the view that they DO find it funny. It doesn't mean they're "going round looking for stuff to be offended by".
    Plus, it's not like the kid has a choice to be paraded around by Jordan. And to say someone's always going to be offended by a joke is totally disingenuous. There's a big difference between being offended by e.g. a blonde joke and something like this. Even some of the most zealously pro bad taste humour peeps draw a line at Roy Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning and that direction looks like the one Frankie Boyle is veering in (not saying Brown and Manning haven't made me laugh, but they could also be complete dicks) as Susie_Q's experience of seeing him live illustrates.
    I can understand the complexities at play - there is comedy value in people's reaction to this, there's comedy value in the shock of it, and I personally am not offended by it... but it doesn't display much thought other than stirring for the sake of it, and at the expense of a vulnerable kid.

Dwight Yorke is the real winner\loser here depending on the view you choose to take.

He actually fathered the child.

True, I just find that kind of humour a bit redundant. Slagging Jordan... what's the point? She's a joke already.

Excellent oxymoron.

Dont make fun of someone who's a joke. I am totally using this line later

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there legally anything that can be done though?

Is telling an offensive joke against the law?
    There is no copyright protection for parody (scientology :p )
    he wasn't inciting hatred
    there are rights to free speech
    has the persons reputation been damaged, bearing in mind it was said in jest, well after the watershed on a channel whose charter prevents it showing popular programs, they can only show minority programs ( they had to fight to keep Brookside when more than a few % of the population tuned in to it )

Jordan is a publicity whore and IMHO this is more of an attempt to get into the headlines than to protect the feelings of her child.

Biggins wrote: »
    As a brother of a person who is brain damaged, I would find it offensive to be honest.
    Its over the line and frankly if he had joked about my brother that way, my first reaction would have been to kick the living crap out of him.
    See then would he find that funny!

Isn't that why people tell these kind of jokes?

Surely drawing this response justifies the joke in a perverse way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Never found the guy funny.

The joke certainty wasn't funny.

To be somewhat funny a joke must have a little truth to it and to me it doesn't - I guess there is always someone though, that will find that crap hilarious.

Just watched the whole show there and I thought, if anything - the Jade gag was worse, far worse.

Was I offended?

Yes, by both 'jokes' actually - as I have sister with similar disabilities to Harvey and family that have died of cancer also, so I find the jokes moronic.

Do I think people shouldn't be able to make jokes about these topics?

No, I think jokes should be made about all topics and have laughed at many jokes about people with disabilities and some cancer jokes - his just weren't funny, as the jokes were on the sufferers and so, they were obviously gonna be offensive.

Being offended however, is an subjective thing and hasn't killed anyone as far as I know and as an adult I can be offended and just deal with it - change the channel, don't attend his gigs or whatever, so - wouldn't support or call for him being censored.

Not sure if the show had a disclaimer of any kind (maybe it did) but if it didn't, it should have, as again - the content was so clearly going to offend a large portion of the audience and would have done no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I've 2 disabled nephews and guess what? Go Frankie! That's what. If you don't like what you're listening to, change channel. That's why you've more than one, and that's why the TV has an off button.

Arguing to death on Internet forum about whether it's funny/not funny/ott/not ott will come to no conclusions, and no agreement will ever be made. Different people find different things funny, and the world'd be pretty boring if we couldn't laugh at ourselves, and each other every now and again.

I didn't think it was very funny but not because it was offensive. Normally Frankie is very funny and sometimes hes not. I thought the Hammond one was hilarious for the shock value...it was shocking

As for the offensiveness, I didn't think it was offensive, at least not to me. If I was Jordan or Dwight Yorke I cant say I wouldn't be offended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its an odd one. I suppose there is just certain things you don't do in comedy and if you are going to do them, DON'T do them for TV. Do them for DVD like Roy 'chubby' brown does.

The mistake for Boyle is he is doing these jokes and thinks its going to be ok to air such jokes on national TV when he must know it isn't going to go down well. He should make such things for DVD only in my opinion, if not at all as it does come across as a bti desperate.

He was brilliant on Mock the Week which i think is what he is best at.

Advertisement