Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2010-2011 outlook

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Just for the record; there has been 100% snow cover in Sandyford since Sat 25th November; mostly below freezing (lowest -11C) and occasional slight thaws (max in the period +3C).

Accumulation by last snowfall (Friday) was just 28cm; there is still 25cm on undisturbed surfaces.

No green grass visible anywhere since the night of 24th November.

This is most unusual.

Sat 27th you mean, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

How long is the snow in Dublin expected to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id say that December is basically shot to bits if your looking for any mild weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think our relative definition of the words 'mild weather' has changed this year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

jamesoc wrote: »
    Beginning when ? .
    Cant remember exact date ,but I got a covering of snow at around 18th of decemeber or maybe 19th.
    And then around 2 inches on Christmas day and a few snow showers on some other days.
    So bascially the ground was white for 3-4 weeks
    Then got more snow on the 30th of January after the big freeze of course.
    For this part of the country anyway there has been snow cover for much longer
    Yeah without a doubt its worse for you guys.
    The southeast etc. of the country has had its best snow spell in probably living memory as it said on the news.

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    I think our relative definition of the words 'mild weather' has changed this year !!
    Did you see ann doyle getting in on the act, she said 6 degrees almost seems balmy , I think she has been reading too much boards.ie threads, that is one joke that is getting very old at this stage:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Did you see ann doyle getting in on the act, she said 6 degrees almost seems balmy , I think she has been reading too much boards.ie threads, that is one joke that is getting very old at this stage:pac::pac:

Surely you can't be serious? That's one joke that never gets old:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It was the same here last year, we had snow on the ground from I think it was the 18th of December right up until mid january then more snow a week later which stuck around for another few weeks. We had more in February, March and even the first week of April when we had that blizzard

Looking at the charts it really doesnt look like the Atlantic is going to break through any time soon so Christmas snow is very much a possibility at the moment

Harps wrote: »
    It was the same here last year, we had snow on the ground from I think it was the 18th of December right up until mid january then more snow a week later which stuck around for another few weeks. We had more in February, March and even the first week of April when we had that blizzard

Looking at the charts it really doesnt look like the Atlantic is going to break through any time soon so Christmas snow is very much a possibility at the moment

I hope so. If not falling on the big day itself, then hopefully some remaining on the ground at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Sat 27th you mean, yeah?

I guess I do! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Kenring wrote: »
    Rather deafening silence on this forum now, now that the cold is abating somewhat, as predicted, both in solar and lunar terms.

yep its heating up alright here, there was freezing fog all day, then this white suff fell out of the sky , the roads are covered in ice , - 4 at the moment . Suncream and shades tomorrow so Ken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

duckysauce wrote: »
    yep its heating up alright here, there was freezing fog all day, then this white suff fell out of the sky , the roads are covered in ice , - 4 at the moment . Suncream and shades tomorrow so Ken ?

In fairness, this snow event seems to have caught Met.ie and Boards.ie forecasters unaware!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jamesoc

Rather deafening silence from Mr Ring if you ask me , perhaps he's gone to consult his cats paw about next weeks cold spell :D:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

There was a climatologist guy on the radio yesterday and he was saying that Britain and Ireland are at the beginning of a mini ice age and that it will last for about 30 years. He also said as we go further into the future our winters will become more severe with frequent snow and ice and very low temperatures. The reason he gave for this is something to do with sun spots. Any of you guys heard him? I think he is from the UK. Do any of you know what sun spots are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

There was a climatologist guy on the radio yesterday and he was saying that Britain and Ireland are at the beginning of a mini ice age and that it will last for about 30 years. He also said as we go further into the future our winters will become more severe with frequent snow and ice and very low temperatures. The reason he gave for this is something to do with sun spots. Any of you guys heard him? I think he is from the UK. Do any of you know what sun spots are?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055544236

Extensively debated on above thread nearly two years old now.

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness, this snow event seems to have caught Met.ie and Boards.ie forecasters unaware!

Well at least they put they hands up when they are wrong , they don't start harping on about white supremacy etc , for their failings and won't accept facts/ or show facts when they are wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Wha??? :confused:

Kenring wrote: »
    You pick as your source a website full of misquotes and fiction registered to a very big company who deal weather forecast inaccuracies to other big companies and what they consider high-moral-ground intellectual ethics. They culled posts I sent and/or made up things that I didn't say, so it made a better story. They seem to be a nameless dangerous element of redneck white-supremism calling for the banning of anyone who isn't 'normal' and mainstream, which includes 'psychic' entertainers, alternative healers, other cultures and their beliefs, indigenous tribes and small people brave enough to speak out against corruption in government, all trying to enjoy expression in a free world. They equally hate the Irish, all Catholics, all religious people, all immigrants. If you wish to be taken in by a Taleban lookalike you will also be regarded as one.

:D

K-9 wrote: »
    Couldnt disagree more , that is wrong, If you were around you would have seen the threads talking about a prolonged cold spell by darkman and others, and not to forget the epic forecasts from M.T Cranium.
    edit:Maybe you were talking about the snow yesturday ,if so then ignore this entire post :pac:

ims2010340.gif

Europes looking a bit white at the moment . . .:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

edit:Maybe you were talking about the snow yesturday ,if so then ignore this entire post :pac:

:D

Maybe MT called some snow, but I don't think anywhere near that level until Sunday evening.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Couldnt disagree more , that is wrong, If you were around you would have seen the threads talking about a prolonged cold spell by darkman and others, and not to forget the epic forecasts from M.T Cranium.

Actually I disagree too, I was browsing here and looking at the models on meteociel.fr. Went and stocked up on snow boots and proper ski gloves for the kids. Knew it was coming for about a week before it did.

I know its way into FI and i wont even bother posting the charts, but the GFS has the cold breaking down soon after it starts around the 20th or 21st . . .and they have been remarkably accurate up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

wont happen take with a large pinch of salt GFS in F1 a disaster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I know its way into FI and i wont even bother posting the charts, but the GFS has the cold breaking down soon after it starts around the 20th or 21st . . .and they have been remarkably accurate up until now.

It will get pushed out on each run ,

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Sorry if this has been posted before but found this on youtube, some guy forecasting our weather til March!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIImLUQvoJM

Monkaa wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted before but found this on youtube, some guy forecasting our weather til March!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIImLUQvoJM

Did you know that Siberia is up a bit and over to the right and is -45 , so stop giving out about temps:confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

duckysauce wrote: »
    Did you know that Siberia is up a bit and over to the right and is -45 , so stop giving out about temps:confused: :eek:

- 45 Jesus if those temps ever hit this Country it would be the end :D

I would dispute that assertion, considering during this cold period they frequently showed the Atlantic breaking through only to completely change their output on the next run. They have a consistent tendency in a blocking pattern to deviate from the output of other models, by showing the atlantic winning out after only a few days, only to then scrap the idea and back the other models. The ecm seems to be much better than the gfs at handling the evolution of a blocking setup.
    Then again we do live beside the atlantic, so even with a potential omega block on the cards, it could go awry for us after only a few days. So the GFS could possibly be right this time, and other models end up backing them. If so it would be a real sickener if, after all the previous cold, we did return to milder weather around Christmas time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

according to that clip we wont have a white christmas,did M.T not say from the 21st-23rd were getting more snow or am i wrong as he has been spot on so far???

Advertisement