Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Continues - Discussion here ( All Ireland ) - 3/12/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Meteorological winter starts December 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

cravings wrote: »
    just spent a few hours freeing up the vehicles and clearing the path in front of my house.. it definitely felt like it was thawing out as i was doing it... but just as i was finishing up, that fog came wandering down the road and felt like it would freeze everything up again... hope it doesn't really.

(south dublin)
    Same here although the amount of muppets digging out their driveways and dumping the snow in a big mound on the footpath is unbelievable:mad:
    Dump it on the grass verges people

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

nah, all sensible and on the verges here. it's a good idea to clear the line of the kerb too.. for visibility, and to create drainage channels to the.. drains..

good spirit though. i've had way more friendly chats with neighbours and randoms in the last week than i've had in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭mvron

Lots of neighbours out clearing the footpaths :). The fog is really coming down here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

kyub wrote: »
    Fogzilla in Dublin 15!
    Whats driving visibility like? Meant to be driving from Blanch to Lusk later...very foggy in my area now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Freezing fog in Kildare since early afternoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Winter officially began on 1 November.

Spring begins 1 February, Summer on 1 May & Autumn on 1 August.

Winter begins OFFICIALLY on December 1 and always has mate. Ring MET Eireann and they will put you straight!! How many times do they have to metnion it?? Gerald Fleming is constantly reminding people of this. On the continent it begins on 21 December (solstice) so I suggest you do some more homework and stop making a fool of yourself. We should also have the official start of Winter as 21 December like our eurozone neighbours and change the clock as well to be in line with them and not Britain. After all we are pro-European, ur former colonial masters are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Paths are very dangerous in places but not as bad *yet* as during the last winter freeze. Good to see the law clarified about neighbours & businesses clearing the paths outside their premises, a huge improvement on last January when hardly any cleared the paths.

Bravo to Dublin Bus for clearing a huge swathe of ice on the paths outside their garage on Ringsend Rd, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Winter begins OFFICIALLY on December 1 and always has mate. Ring MET Eireann and they will put you straight!! How many times do they have to metnion it?? Gerald Fleming is constantly reminding people of this. On the continent it begins on 21 December (solstice) so I suggest you do some more homework and stop making a fool of yourself. We should also have the official start of Winter as 21 December like our eurozone neighbours and change the clock as well to be in line with them and not Britain. After all we are pro-European, ur former colonial masters are not.

fair enough on the winter thing

but the clock's aren't just in line with britain. Britain, Ireland, Portugal and the canary islands share the same timezone, plus it'd be kind of silly to have one time in newry and another in dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Getting very foggy in Limerick now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

The extent of the snow.

europe2012010338aqua500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Mc Love wrote: »
    Getting very foggy in Limerick now

It has come down very fast and visibility is deteriorating rapidly!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

we have ice ice and emm more ice.

should be fun driving later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Major thaw here in Waterford City today, the sound of drip drip was to be heard everywhere. Temp max was 3.7c and it did feel raw out there. Looking at temps around the country still some very low temps in the midlands and east where the most snow fell. Temp now is 2.2c Dp 1.1c Wind NNW @ 11km/h

More Detail and Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

-0.9c / -2.3dp

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Have to drive back from Red Cow back to Greystones about 9.00pm, not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

look what i found this morning the first one ive seen since the snow started

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

all the snowy roads around navan are rapidly turning into icy roads and even the 4WD and all-terrain tyres are pretty much useless when its like that, i might as well be driving on oiled glass. :(

keep safe people and watch where you're going. its not a great feeling turning your steering wheel and it not making any difference to the direction you'e going. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Satellite snow pic: Is that ice on Lough Rea near Athlone? Its looks different to the other loughs. I think Lough Rea is very shallow which is why it would freeze easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Fog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just Back from a nice walk in the Phoenix Park, Place is amazing looking covered in all the snow, and only even nicer with the addition of the Fog... The dog was in heaven! ha

Temp hovering around 0 so the roads which wer cleared wer gettin a bit icy, and the untreated ones wer like a skating rink .... Great fun!

Looking forward to "trying" to cycle to work at 6 in the morning! ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

jimmynokia wrote: »
    look what i found this morning the first one ive seen since the snow started

they are not meant to be out in dangerous driving conditions:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

duckysauce wrote: »
    they are not meant to be out in dangerous driving conditions:confused:

Agreed, but anyone breaking the limit on that stretch of road deserves the fine.

On topic: a lot of showers pushing into the Donegal/Derry region....anyone know if this is falling as snow? They seem to be petering out as they move inland but some heavier clumps of cloud out to sea on the sat pics...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

make sure ye knock da snow off the top of the car before setting out.

woman in car in front of me braked and the snow piled on top of the car loaded down onto her windscreen, completely blocking her view, lucky escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

make sure ye knock da snow off the top of the car before setting out.

woman in car in front of me braked and the snow piled on top of the car loaded down onto her windscreen, completely blocking her view, lucky escape.

I was behind a vegetable truck with a cover over it's load earlier on a secondary road....the truck hit a bump in the road and the snow still lying on the soft top blew right back into my windscreen like a mini blizzard.

Good advice...same happened me with rear window on friday and since I have no rear wiper it made a for a fun few minutes until I got puyled in soemwhere to clear it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Have to say I loved this cold spell. Saw some of the best snowfalls I've ever seen. I'd have to rank this as better than last winter already even though it's only the very start of the season.

What would be perfect now would be a few milder days. No raging Atlantic with lashing rain. Just a bit milder, and dry. Then around mid-month we get a reload of cold leading up to a very cold and snowy Christmas that holds steady into the start of the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Major thaw here in Waterford City today, the sound of drip drip was to be heard everywhere.
    More Detail and Data @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

Tell me about it, barely avoided the snow sliding off the roof. It came down with a lot of momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Went for a drive this eve..all the snow is frozen soild like driven on a pot-holded road..and then slipping all the over the placeas well..very dangerous on the side roads in clondalkin!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Freezing hard here tonight. Gonna be extremely icy on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Same here, the footpaths are like an ice rink and on any kind of slope its simply not possible to walk on

The roads are mostly clear of the compacted sheets of snow but still full of ice

Hopefully it gets warmer now for a few days cause I can barely leave the house at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement