Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi,

I updated Kies and was then able to update to 2.2 no problem. I now have

- Firmware version - 2.2
    - Baseband version - I9000XXJPP
    - Kernel Version - 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S608 #1
    - Build number - FROYO.XWJPA

I like some of the enhancements but I've noticed serious lag from time to time particularly when I return to the homescreen, it can take 10 seconds or more to display the home screen icons.

Having tried to read up on lagfixes on XDA it seems the Voodoo lag fix is the mutts nutts and very much the best solution around at the moment, see http://project-voodoo.org.

I'm nervous about installing it becuase I'm not experienced with Android rooting etc and although I used to flash ROM's for some old BlackBerrys I'd like to keep this phone as 'stock' as possible.

Is there a dummies step by step guide to installing Voodoo onto an official Froyo 2.2 phone with 3E? I looked at the installation instructions on the Voodoo site and they are a bit too techie for me, it seems you need to be familiar with lot's of the lingo in order to follow them and having 3E instead of 2E makes it even more complicated!!

I'm nervous about popping my Android Cherry :-)

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ben, did you do a factory reset after you upgraded? From reading on Xda it appears to help with the lag initially. Just be warned you'll loose all your data and apps.

Hi Bear,

No I didn't and I don't want to either. I spent too much time loading apps and setting up/configuring the phone to just throw it all away for a temporary fix.

It's Voodoo or nothing for me!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Gucky wrote: »
    Lads, sorry fort the noob question.
    I use to be able to end calls using the power button on my phone.
    Can't seem to find where to enable it again though via settings, anyone any ideas please?

Yeah it's in Settings ---> Accessibility ---> "The Power Key Ends Calls"
    Just click the box to activate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Does anybody know how to sort the list of apps in the applications list?
    I like the grid view but you can't find stuff once you've installed a pile of apps as it's listed in the order of install.
    I know you can make the view list by hitting the menu button but it'd be nice to get the apps in a proper sorted grid like you can have on the most other models.

Yeah I figured out how to do it using the standard software last night.

You open the Applications.
    Then click your "menu" key (left button on the phone)
    Then select the "Edit" option.
    Now you can select which apps go where and can move them between your pages (takes a bit of practice as you need to really swipe them)
    Then once you are happy with the changes, you have to click your "menu" key again and select the "Save" option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi Bear,

No I didn't and I don't want to either. I spent too much time loading apps and setting up/configuring the phone to just throw it all away for a temporary fix.

It's Voodoo or nothing for me!!

Ben

From another forum:
    Use z4root to root the phone and ryanZA's oclf 2.0 to lag fix it. install ext 2 tools from oclf first, then do the lagfix. make sure your battery is well charged up.

Just did this with my 2.2 Galaxy S and boy does it does fly!

Degsie,

Does that process remove Touchwhiz and the Samsung apps etc?

Is there a step by step guide for the process you just went through? Why go with OCLF? From my research Voodoo is a much better solution.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Everything is as before the root/oclf install. Samsung apps all there and touchwhiz is the same.

You just need to download the two apps from the market and do as suggested in the previous post. Check out http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s-all-things-root/ for guides.

Degsie,

Is it not three apps:-

1 - z4root
    2 - ext 2 tools from OCLF
    3 - OCLF Lagfix

Bit confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ktro

is anyone else having trouble downloading from the android market!!

• Advertisement

Degsie,

I grew a pair of balls and dived in rooting with z4root and then installing OCLF running the ext 2 tools from the OCLF application before running lagfix v2.2. Piece of piss really when all's said and done :D

SGS is now flying along.

Thanks for the tip.

If anyone is on official 2.2, experiencing lag and wants a simple solution which is easy to install and run this is it!!

Cheers again Degsie.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Hi guys...I just bought a Galaxy S on Vodafone and after having the iphone 3gs im not sure im entirely happy yet.
    For now, its standard.

Its not as stable...ie FB and email kept crashing out on me last night.
    Scrolling is not as smooth and can be a bit laggy sometimes.
    Im finding it harder to txt with to be honest and trhe touchscreen is not as good as the iphone..
    It feels a bit cheap and plasticky to me.

Battery is very poor. Im not even getting 12 hrs even though ive all the power saving options on ( i think...eg screen brightness, auto sync etc). I previously got a full day and sometimes more with the iphone and similiar usage. I wonder would one of those 3500mAh batteries off ebay be any good here?

On the plus side...Internet is faster (which i use a lot of), its fresh and for now its a new toy.

Cant turn off 3G though for some reason. theres no option i can find.In network mode in settings, theres GSm and Wdma or auto but it wont let me change form auto.

Any thoughts on this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Cant turn off 3G though for some reason. theres no option i can find.In network mode in settings, theres GSm and Wdma or auto but it wont let me change form auto

Install this

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-maicas-android-apnoo-jmnzq.aspx

&

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.net-rgruet-android-g3watchdog-zzA.aspx

You can search for APN on-off Widget and 3g Watchdog in the Android market to install them easily.

Battery is very poor. Im not even getting 12 hrs even though ive all the power saving options on ( i think...eg screen brightness, auto sync etc). I previously got a full day and sometimes more with the iphone and similiar usage.

This should improve. I'm having to charge it every second evening now with moderate use.

Im finding it harder to txt with to be honest and trhe touchscreen is not as good as the iphone..

Do the Swype tutorials. I hated the keyboard when I first got mine. Now it's dead easy.

Not great news for this. It's fixable but it's awkward. If you're experiencing lag do a Google on Voodoo Lag Fix or OCLF. There's a fair bit about it on these threads too.

Ok thanks Mick....i understand its only had 3-4 charges so maybe it takes time for the battery to condition.

Ill try the APn on-off and 3G watchdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Hi guys...I just bought a Galaxy S on Vodafone and after having the iphone 3gs im not sure im entirely happy yet.
    For now, its standard.

Battery is very poor. Im not even getting 12 hrs even though ive all the power saving options on ( i think...eg screen brightness, auto sync etc). I previously got a full day and sometimes more with the iphone and similiar usage. I wonder would one of those 3500mAh batteries off ebay be any good here?

On the plus side...Internet is faster (which i use a lot of), its fresh and for now its a new toy.

Cant turn off 3G though for some reason. theres no option i can find.In network mode in settings, theres GSm and Wdma or auto but it wont let me change form auto.

Any thoughts on this ?

Update to froyo to speed it up and increase battery life.
    You'll need a lag fix to get it as smooth as the iphone.

patch wrote: »
    Update to froyo to speed it up and increase battery life.
    You'll need a lag fix to get it as smooth as the iphone.

Thanks patch.
    Im on Vodafone and afaik froyo isnt available yet...am i correct here? will kies alert me if and when it becomes available?

Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me (not modding, just the galaxy), ....where do i get lag fix and how do i install it?

**EDIT**...ok found the voodoo site but i havent a clue what this is asking me to do...
    it says rename to update.zip...update what ??

Update.zip method (recommended; computer not required):

1. Copy the Voodoo package as /sdcard/update.zip at the root of your SD Card.
    2. Reboot into recovery using the 3 button combo for your phone or “adb reboot recovery”
    3. Apply update.zip
    4. Enjoy !

How do i copy it as above?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Head over to xda developers and read a few threads. :)
    There are loads of guides, i'd advise doing a bit of research before blindly rushing into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Degsie,

I grew a pair of balls and dived in rooting with z4root and then installing OCLF running the ext 2 tools from the OCLF application before running lagfix v2.2. Piece of piss really when all's said and done :D

SGS is now flying along.

Thanks for the tip.

If anyone is on official 2.2, experiencing lag and wants a simple solution which is easy to install and run this is it!!

Cheers again Degsie.

Ben

Did you do a temporary or permanent root using Z4root?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Did you do a temporary or permanent root using Z4root?

I'd like to know this also. Have z4root and one click lag fix downloaded but haven't run them yet. Some forums talk of phone becoming 'bricked'. Don't like the sound of that particular effect.

I did a permanent root using z4root, then installed the ext 2 tools from the oclf application then installed the lagfix solution and all had been fine since.

Be patient with the installations, they can look like they are struck or taking too long.

• Advertisement

Was it that simple? No backing stuff up, or other technical wizardry?

Seriously Long, it really was as simple as that. I didn't do any back up I just downloaded the two apps, rooted, installed the ext2 tools from the OLCF app, then the lagfix from the OLCF app, the pgone rebooted and bingo I was back in business 100% the same as I was a few minutes earlier with all settings, apps etc in place.

Seriously, having read all I read in advance I was sh1tting myself about bricking my phone but I just went for it (in a moment of madness) and it's worked out fine. I can absolutely confirm this makes a huge improvement to the lag issues I was having. I now have the phone I thought I was getting in the first place!!

Best of luck ;) (Don't come looking for me to throw your brick at if it turns out that way though :p )

Ben

Thanks patch.
    Im on Vodafone and afaik froyo isnt available yet...am i correct here? will kies alert me if and when it becomes available?

Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me (not modding, just the galaxy), ....where do i get lag fix and how do i install it?

**EDIT**...ok found the voodoo site but i havent a clue what this is asking me to do...
    it says rename to update.zip...update what ??

Update.zip method (recommended; computer not required):

1. Copy the Voodoo package as /sdcard/update.zip at the root of your SD Card.
    2. Reboot into recovery using the 3 button combo for your phone or “adb reboot recovery”
    3. Apply update.zip
    4. Enjoy !

How do i copy it as above?

Kenny,

I'm also on Vodafone and can confirm if you have the latest version of Kies installed (check for an update when you launch it) then you should be able to update to Froyo 2.2.

Having done that I can then recommend following the OCLF process I outlined above to solve the lagfix problem, it really is simple.

My understanding in relation to the Voodoo lagfix is it is structurally a much better solution than OCLF but it's implementation appears to me at least to be much more challenging. Given they both deliver the same (or substantially similar) benefit i.e. no lag I'd say the OCLF process will suit 80% of people.

If I thought I could implement Voodoo as easily as I did OCLF I would probably switch to it just to see the difference between the two but for now I'm more than happy with the OCLF solution.

Best of luck.

Ben

Tried running z4root. It got the blue screen then turned itself off. Now it wont turn back on. Bricked?

Kenny,

I'm also on Vodafone and can confirm if you have the latest version of Kies installed (check for an update when you launch it) then you should be able to update to Froyo 2.2.

Having done that I can then recommend following the OCLF process I outlined above to solve the lagfix problem, it really is simple.

My understanding in relation to the Voodoo lagfix is it is structurally a much better solution than OCLF but it's implementation appears to me at least to be much more challenging. Given they both deliver the same (or substantially similar) benefit i.e. no lag I'd say the OCLF process will suit 80% of people.

If I thought I could implement Voodoo as easily as I did OCLF I would probably switch to it just to see the difference between the two but for now I'm more than happy with the OCLF solution.

Best of luck.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I now have 2.2 Froyo installed and its more colorful anyway if nothing else !!! lol...time will tell if it improves the battery life suppose.

Ive also got 3G watchdog and Apn on-off installed now as well so i can keep a better eye on things.

ill try the OCLF option so instead. Ive done a lot of modding over d yrs with consoles, PC's, iphones etc but this is my first Android and Im a complete Noob in this scene.

Long,

I've no idea I'm afraid. If you head over to the XDA developers forums there's a ton of info there which should be able to help you.

I've only done this once so am certainly not an expert. I do recall z4root asked me to enable USB debugging before it could do a permanent root which I did and honestly it went 100% smoothly.

I also recall reading in XDA that's it's almost impossible to actually brick your phone using z4root so don't despair. There is some way to fire up your phone into "download" mode or something which will ring it back to it's original state. Have you tried holding the volume UP button, the home button and the power button at the same time to re-start it? If you do that and hold all three in place until you see the white Samsumg name on the screen then release all three it might get you back to where you want to be.

Did you have a full battery when you tried rooting? I made sure my phone was plugged in charging but NOT via USB cable from my laptop as I believe that can confuse matters.

Thanks Ben. I now have 2.2 Froyo installed and its more colorful anyway if nothing else !!! lol...time will tell if it improves the battery life suppose.

Ive also got 3G watchdog and Apn on-off installed now as well so i can keep a better eye on things.

ill try the OCLF option so instead. Ive done a lot of modding over d yrs with consoles, PC's, iphones etc but this is my first Android and Im a complete Noob in this scene.

Kenny,

Your battery will get better after a few cycles of powering up and down. I found after a couple of weeks it was much better and I easily get a day out of it now and I'd say I'm a fairly heavy user.

You'll see from the immediately previous post that Long has had a problem rooting with z4root and OCLF so tread carefully. My understanding is the process is the most bullet proof available but I guess there is always the exception.

That 3 button thing got her back. I clicked into oclf but 'install ext2 tools' is unavailable. Consider me confused chief

longshanks wrote: »
    That 3 button thing got her back. I clicked into oclf but 'install ext2 tools' is unavailable. Consider me confused chief

Don't know what to say to you Long. If I was in your shoes I'd probably try the z4root again and then look on the OCLF app to see if "Install EXT2 Tools" is available. You know at the top of the OCLF app there are three options namely "All", "Available" and "Unavailable". If you successfully root and then click on "All" in OCLF and "Install EXT2 Tools" isn't there I don't know what to say to you other then re-download OCLF.

BTW I downloaded the "Donate" version of OCLF from the market. Maybe the EXT2 tools are only in the donate version?

• Advertisement

I'll try that later, heading out now. Thanks anywho

Advertisement