Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Kenny,

You might also want to install "Autoteeth" from the market. It's a great little app which toggles wi-fi and bluetooth. The logic being that if you're connected to wi-fi you don't need Bluetooth and when you disconnect from a wi-fi network you are likely to need your bluetooth i.e. you are probably in the car.

It certainly matches my useage fairly closely and ensures you're not running both wi-fi and bluetooth (and burning the battery) at the same time.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

BenEadir wrote: »
    Kenny,

You might also want to install "Autoteeth" from the market. It's a great little app which toggles wi-fi and bluetooth. The logic being that if you're connected to wi-fi you don't need Bluetooth and when you disconnect from a wi-fi network you are likely to need your bluetooth i.e. you are probably in the car.

It certainly matches my useage fairly closely and ensures you're not running both wi-fi and bluetooth (and burning the battery) at the same time.

Ben

Ben thx a lot for ur help. Ive oclf installed and phone is much.quicker.
    Coupled with.the.apps i istalled earlier and 2.2 froyo hopefully ill like the phone.more than i did yesterday.

Well done Kenny, you've gone straight to the top of the class in a few days. Took me months to get this far!!

Have a read through the "Must Have Android Apps" thread if you want to get a good insight of what's good and what's not so good. Some amazing apps available, especially for a guy who was used to BlackBerry's for the last few years.

Ben

All,

Is there any way to replace the bottom four applications (Phone, Contacts, Messaging and Applications) with other applications or to delete the stock application and replace it with a 3rd party version? I'm particularly interested in replacing the stock Dialer and SMS applications as I think they are really terrible.

FYI I'm running 2.2 rooted with z4root and OCLF lagfix.

Cheers,

Ben

All,

Is there any way to replace the bottom four applications (Phone, Contacts, Messaging and Applications) with other applications or to delete the stock application and replace it with a 3rd party version? I'm particularly interested in replacing the stock Dialer and SMS applications as I think they are really terrible.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben i had my iphone 2 days and had it jailbroken and unlocked too and full of gadgets..lol
    im not an expert but i am quick to learn.

Ive read handcent sms is better than tge stock sms widget. Im gonna install it tgere now and try it

• Advertisement

Not too sure handcent sms is my cup of tea but one thing is for sure my Galaxy S is a completely different phone to the one i posted about earlier!!!

Kenny,

Handcent is fantastic but I can't bear the idea of having two icons on the home screen for the one app!! I really want to just replace the stock SMS app with Handcent. If you find a way to do that let me know.

Running both applications causes all kinds of issues with notifications etc. I had to uninstall handcent.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Don't know what to say to you Long. If I was in your shoes I'd probably try the z4root again and then look on the OCLF app to see if "Install EXT2 Tools" is available. You know at the top of the OCLF app there are three options namely "All", "Available" and "Unavailable". If you successfully root and then click on "All" in OCLF and "Install EXT2 Tools" isn't there I don't know what to say to you other then re-download OCLF.

BTW I downloaded the "Donate" version of OCLF from the market. Maybe the EXT2 tools are only in the donate version?

Tried it again Ben and it worked. I'm in with the cool kids now

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

All,

Cheers,

Ben

Applications > menu >edit. You can then hold and drag the apps on and off the bottom row (except the Home key)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

rockal wrote: »
    Applications > menu >edit. You can then hold and drag the apps on and off the bottom row (except the Home key)

Only works in 2.2 I believe

• Advertisement

Rockal <- You Rock!!!

Rockal, do you know if there is a way to change the icons used to selct applications, particularly the ones I've just installed in the bottom tray?

I replaced both the Stock phone dialer and contacts app with the "aTakephONE" app (really good functionality but not mega sexy design and terrible icon) and would like to use a nicer icon to launch it.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Rockal, do you know if there is a way to change the icons used to selct applications, particularly the ones I've just installed in the bottom tray?

I replaced both the Stock phone dialer and contacts app with the "aTakephONE" app (really good functionality but not mega sexy design and terrible icon) and would like to use a nicer icon to launch it.

Ben

I havent come across any way of doing this. I'd love a monochrome icon set, but I dont think it is possible to "theme" things yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Is there any way to replace the bottom four applications (Phone, Contacts, Messaging and Applications)

LauncherPro not only allows you to change the bottom 4 icons (with custom icons too) but allows you to scroll them like you do the Home Pages. It also allows you to increase the number of 'grid spaces' on your home screens allowing for more icons/widgets per page.

It's one of my top 5 apps but bear in mind that some of the Samsung specific widgets are not compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Scotty # wrote: »
    LauncherPro not only allows you to change the bottom 4 icons (with custom icons too) but allows you to scroll them like you do the Home Pages. It also allows you to increase the number of 'grid spaces' on your home screens allowing for more icons/widgets per page.

It's one of my top 5 apps but bear in mind that some of the Samsung specific widgets are not compatible.

Have to say I find Launcher Pro pretty unsatisfactory. It's great for laying out apps etc. but it's been pretty unstable on my SGS. Will give it another try now that I've upgraded to 2.2 and gotten the OCLF to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Finally made the change, I'd been running with the old JPC beta for a while, and didn't want to risk bricking the phone; despite JPC being far from stable.

Bit the bullet and rolled back to Eclair via Odin, then flashed up to Froyo, rooted and lag fixed. The performance is something nutty, she was never anywhere this good out of the box on day 1.

My only gripe with this has been that the backups I took earlier in Kies will not restore to the phone. All contacts had to be added manually (I'm gonna sync them with Google now so I won't ever have this happen again! You live and learn, eh?). I suppose this could be down to either running the test Froyo or being currently running of a flashed Odin ROM.

Working tomorrow so was staying in regardless, but by Jesus adding the contacts was a pain in the cock!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How's the battery for you guys? Most of the time I come home and it's just dead, I use it fairly heavily and I'll eventually use it less once I finish playing with the phone but I would like to charge it every second day.

Any tips for increasing the battery life?

The only real problem with the phone is Meteor. I'm supposed to get free calls and texts, 400 texts/minutes and 2GB internet. I got the phone on the 17th and still no free calls and texts, I only got 212 texts, 242 minutes and 1.05GB this month. It's not very fair, I only get half my usage but don't get to pay half the bill. I'm 18 so I need free texts as I usually send 75-100 a day. The 400 texts on my plan is for other networks, but I only got 212 and I had to use them to Meteor numbers and only have 100 web texts left. Not happy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Any tips for increasing the battery life?

You can pull down a menu from the top of the screen and turn off GPS and WIFI and Bluetooth. Then just turn the GPS on and off as you need it to use Google Maps.

Also turn off "background data" in the Settings menu under "Accounts and Sync".

And you can turn down the display brightness automatically under the Settings menu ---> "Display" --> "Brightness" --> "Automatic Brightness".

Than turn the screen time-out to 15 seconds in the Settings menu ---> "Display" --> "Screen Timeout".

Finally check the "Task Manager" after you use the phone to make sure the internet or music player has closed down, or you can shut it down yourself to save battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Battery behaves funny, just after update to 2.2 i was expecting to be better, 18-19 hours with light usage 8% battery left, just stick the charger and checked after 2 minutes - 46%, i believe it's something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

rai555 wrote: »
    Battery behaves funny, just after update to 2.2 i was expecting to be better, 18-19 hours with light usage 8% battery left, just stick the charger and checked after 2 minutes - 46%, i believe it's something wrong.

I don't think 2.2 software makes the battery last longer but the battery seems to get better with a few weeks use for some reason.
    Also the fact that you are using the phone a lot more when you get it initially, like downloading apps and changing things.

My last phone was a Nokia and the battery that came with it was weak, I bought a new battery from www.amazon.ie and it lasted a lot longer. Only 3 Euro so worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

TheUsual wrote: »
    I don't think 2.2 software makes the battery last longer but the battery seems to get better with a few weeks use for some reason.
    Also the fact that you are using the phone a lot more when you get it initially, like downloading apps and changing things.

My last phone was a Nokia and the battery that came with it was weak, I bought a new battery from www.amazon.ie and it lasted a lot longer. Only 3 Euro so worth a try.

Well the new Widget Power Control now has the Automatic brightness as a setting. The display is the main battery killer along with WiFi been left on and the BT then probably open apps.

I have found that I had to do factory reset as there was a lag when I upgraded to Froyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

batman2000 wrote: »

I have found that I had to do factory reset as there was a lag when I upgraded to Froyo

The factory reset appears to pretty important right enough.
    If using odin to flash, ticking the repartition box is equally important in most cases.

My battery was well ran in when I upgraded to froyo, so I can confirm that battery life is indeed much improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Anyone have an issue that photos do not show up in the Gallery until quite a long time after you take them?

yea has happened once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Anyone have an issue that photos do not show up in the Gallery until quite a long time after you take them?

I hate that pointless 3D gallery app, it really isn't necessary. ..and yeah, some pics take ages to appear.

It's a problem with data being written to the card.... not the Gallery App.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Is there anything that can be done about it, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I just got this phone on Friday, I had them upgrade me from a H1 which wasn't doing as it should. I am lucky to get a day out of the battery, how do the rest of you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

I get about a day to a day and a half on it, very much depends on what you are using it for.

Also I've found most issues with Kies are down to switching from the default launcher. Anytime I had a problem connecting I went back to using TWlauncher and had no problems.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone got a problem getting message notifications? Sometimes when I receive a text it doesn't vibrate, but does for other messages? And this is like one after another, it'll vibrate then doesn't for the next message. I usually check my phone to see a new message sitting there for like half an hour.
    TheUsual wrote: »
    You can pull down a menu from the top of the screen and turn off GPS and WIFI and Bluetooth. Then just turn the GPS on and off as you need it to use Google Maps.

Also turn off "background data" in the Settings menu under "Accounts and Sync".

And you can turn down the display brightness automatically under the Settings menu ---> "Display" --> "Brightness" --> "Automatic Brightness".

Than turn the screen time-out to 15 seconds in the Settings menu ---> "Display" --> "Screen Timeout".

Finally check the "Task Manager" after you use the phone to make sure the internet or music player has closed down, or you can shut it down yourself to save battery.

I have background data on most of the time, I also have automatic brightness on, screen timeout on 30 seconds and always check the task manager. I also have WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS off unless I'm using them.

It's strange because I can see the pictures when browsing the gallery from the camera, but not when I go into the gallery.

Advertisement