Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It worked popsy? Great news. Can yea tell us what you did to get it working? Might help someone else! Thanks BN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

osotogari wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with the music player since upfrading to 2.2? If i pause a song for a significant length of time the music player quits. It also auto pauses sometimes.

I've experienced the unprompted pausing, yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

It worked popsy? Great news. Can yea tell us what you did to get it working? Might help someone else! Thanks BN

I deleted all my APN's and set up a new one, I quite literally copied your post word for word (including capital letters where quoted) and it worked a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

Samsung Settings
    This is a great site for MMS, WAP and other samsung settings.
    Just put in the details asked for and it send you a text.
    Just accept the text and the phone is set up.

Sorry but no emobile settings.
    But it's good for Vodafone,Meteor,O2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ella11

hi everyone
    i bought this phone today simply for a better internet speed and connection than my old phone (nokia E51) yes, i know-massive difference..lol
    Anyways, i havent a clue how to use alot of the software on it.
    All i want really is to access facebook, youtube, web etc..
    Also for those of you who are facebookers..have ye noticed theres no 'like' button for liking someones status!
    Also when on youtube, how do you upload a video to facebook, or even can you?
    what apps are good to apply to the phone?
    thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

ella11 wrote: »
    hi everyone
    i bought this phone today simply for a better internet speed and connection than my old phone (nokia E51) yes, i know-massive difference..lol
    Anyways, i havent a clue how to use alot of the software on it.
    All i want really is to access facebook, youtube, web etc..
    Also for those of you who are facebookers..have ye noticed theres no 'like' button for liking someones status!
    Also when on youtube, how do you upload a video to facebook, or even can you?
    what apps are good to apply to the phone?
    thanks for your help

You're probably using facebook for galaxy s right?
    I find facebook for Android better. Theres a 'like' button too. Its more like
    facebook for iphone which i was used to.

Search on here for a thread titled 'must have apps' (afai remember) and it gives a good list of useful apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

smurra3 wrote: »
    Samsung Settings
    This is a great site for MMS, WAP and other samsung settings.
    Just put in the details asked for and it send you a text.
    Just accept the text and the phone is set up.

Sorry but no emobile settings.
    But it's good for Vodafone,Meteor,O2 and 3.

This won't work for me :( STILL can't send or receive picture messages!

Miss Fluff... what network are you on? Have you two APNs (data + MMS)? Or a single APN for both?

Are you entering the settings yourself or downloading from Samsung Config page?

Miss Fluff... what network are you on? Have you two APNs (data + MMS)? Or a single APN for both?

Are you entering the settings yourself or downloading from Samsung Config page?

I'm on O2. I finally got it sorted. Have had to phone them a couple of times over the last few weeks but finally after spending half an hour on the phone to them just now this morning they got to the bottom of it and it's finally sorted! Thanks for help also! :)

Great. Anything in particular you needed to do? (might help someone else on o2!)
    Miss Fluff wrote: »
    I'm on O2. I finally got it sorted. Have had to phone them a couple of times over the last few weeks but finally after spending half an hour on the phone to them just now this morning they got to the bottom of it and it's finally sorted! Thanks for help also! :)

• Advertisement

Nothing I needed to do in particular bar turn my phone on and off. She did try to send me new settings on countless occassions which failed to go through and then finally she struck lucky after half an hour of failed attempts. I *suspect* what is happening is that because Samsung Galaxy S is not on this drop-down list

http://www.o2online.ie/Utilities/settings/default.do?wcmArea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Mobile+internet/Getting+started ,

they are sending the settings for the closest Samsung model to the Galaxy S if that makes any sense???? I've tried O2 on countless occassions over the last couple of weeks and they weren't able to help at all!

Thank goodness its all sorted, hope you get it sorted too!

PS - and I remember the girl's name in O2 was "Bridget" is that's any help - she was determined to get to the bottom of it so maybe you can ask for her personally!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

2 questions that I just can not seem to figure out how to do....

1. How do you delete shortcuts or widgets off the home page?
    -I go to edit->remove..but nothing works after that.

2.How do I copy sim card contacts to phone ?

thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had a strange problem last night, went to sleep with the battery at 77%, wireless and auto-sync off. Woke up this morning and the phone was off. Tried to switch it on and got no response.

I lost my wall charger within a week of getting the phone so I have one of those Duracell re-charger dealys. Plugged that in and the phone started. When it was booted up it was showing an indicated battery reading of 62%, yet it had been switched off when I woke up.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may have happened/solutions on how to prevent it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

2 questions that I just can not seem to figure out how to do....

1. How do you delete shortcuts or widgets off the home page?
    -I go to edit->remove..but nothing works after that.

2.How do I copy sim card contacts to phone ?

thanks for any help.

If you hold your finger on the widget/shortcut, a trash can will appear at the bottom of the screen. just drag it onto the trashcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

To delete widgets and short cuts, just press and keep holding the one to delete. After about 1 second a bin comes up at the bottom of the screen, just drag the short cut to the bin. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

thanks ya I got that.

Now how do i copy my sim contacts to the phone?

when i go to contacts->more-> 9All that comes up is- Accounts, speed dial-send email-send message-display options-settings) Nothing in those to copy sim contacts to phone.

Hmm. A refresh your battery stats might help?

The how to is on the xda-developers site.
    Had a strange problem last night, went to sleep with the battery at 77%, wireless and auto-sync off. Woke up this morning and the phone was off. Tried to switch it on and got no response.

I lost my wall charger within a week of getting the phone so I have one of those Duracell re-charger dealys. Plugged that in and the phone started. When it was booted up it was showing an indicated battery reading of 62%, yet it had been switched off when I woke up.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what may have happened/solutions on how to prevent it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hmm. A refresh your battery stats might help?

The how to is on the xda-developers site.

Cheers. That thread is here

One final question.

I've been using the option to search Google by voice option since I upgraded to Froyo.

Is there a way to use the speech option for text input when e-mailing and texting? I've explored the settings but can't seem to find the option.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Pardon my laziness guys but has 2.2 finally dropped here? I've seen a few folks mentioning it but Samsung Kies keeps telling me my "device version cannot be updated."

This a permanent situation or just telling me that a firmware upgrade isnt yet available?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Thinking of getting the SGS off meteor this weekend, they seem to have the best 12 month package price wise?

Was just wondering if meteor block you putting your own apps onto the phone though (assuming you don't root it), I've been learning to use the android SDK and would prefer to keep the warranty (as far as I have found you can't get rid of the root mod should you need the warranty?)

That said, rooting looks like the way to go..

New to all this so excuse the ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thinking of getting the SGS off meteor this weekend, they seem to have the best 12 month package price wise?

Was just wondering if meteor block you putting your own apps onto the phone though (assuming you don't root it), I've been learning to use the android SDK and would prefer to keep the warranty (as far as I have found you can't get rid of the root mod should you need the warranty?)

That said, rooting looks like the way to go..

New to all this so excuse the ignorance

No, nobody blocks that, it's in Android settings, you just need to enable 'Unknown Sources'.

If you're getting into development you'd probably be better off with a Nexus or Desire, SGS USB drivers can be a pain at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

At the moment Android phones when sold in shops are over rated, I cant believe my Galaxy S and all the **** I had to do to make it my phone and get it up and running, anyways, just tried to send an MMS and they got stuck, whats the story, I`m so sick of looking up forums on how to do this and that and that the stock programs dont do what there supposed to do....for a smart phone, why the hell do you have to go and set up all these settings and do this and that just do send a simple Picture....grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Ah cool, thought I'd read somewhere about AT&T doing something to the SGS model they're selling..

will give the Desire another look and look into the usb drivers issue, although I would be swaying towards the samsung atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Ah cool, thought I'd read somewhere about AT&T doing something to the SGS model they're selling..

will give the Desire another look and look into the usb drivers issue, although I would be swaying towards the samsung atm

Sway back. I have both and regret buying the SGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

BenEadir wrote: »
    Degsie,

I grew a pair of balls and dived in rooting with z4root and then installing OCLF running the ext 2 tools from the OCLF application before running lagfix v2.2. Piece of piss really when all's said and done :D

SGS is now flying along.

Thanks for the tip.

If anyone is on official 2.2, experiencing lag and wants a simple solution which is easy to install and run this is it!!

Cheers again Degsie.

I can't find z4root or OCLF on android market

rai555 You'll find them on the xda-developers.com forums. Start here - look down the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does applying the 2.2 update wipe all your apps and settings if done through Kies? I upgraded an LG Optimus from 1.6 to 2.1 and it wiped everything, don't really want to do this with the Galaxy if I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

jor el wrote: »
    Does applying the 2.2 update wipe all your apps and settings if done through Kies? I upgraded an LG Optimus from 1.6 to 2.1 and it wiped everything, don't really want to do this with the Galaxy if I don't have to.

It didn't to mine however all the data in the market was gone about apps downloaded while the apps themselves were still there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Did the upgrade and all apps still there. It did remove all my icons, but the wallpaper and all settings were untouched. Happy enough with that.

I see Google have added some unstoppable services now though. Voice search, Google search, and Gmail are all ever present, and killing them with Advanced Task Killer only works for a few seconds, then they're back. Damn you Google!

Advertisement