Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out! Airtricity about....

Options
  • 10-11-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Wait till yous here this; over the last few months Airtricity sales reps have called at my door 3 times.
    1st time….It was a young guy and after my rejection, he left with a very sad look on him (I felt sorry for him) No Problem

2nd time…A young girl with a young guy called. The girl gave me the “special offer for my area” talk. But after I said “no thank you” she told me she “just couldn’t under stand why I did not want to save money”…After I said no thank you 4 times I asked her to leave….(heres the good bit)…She said as soon as I give her the account No. from my ESB bill she would leave….I refused….She then turned to the young chap and started laughing out load and said to him “do you hear your man”, Then the two off then left laughing away…I wasn’t laughing.

Theres more…..

3rd time…The other night at about 8ish a girl called at the door from Airtricity. My wife answered and received the same story. She politely declined. She was asked did she want to save 20% off her Esb and gas bill. That if we signed up for 1 year we would get 10% of electricity and 10% off our gas..But hold on my wife said that’s not 20% that’s 10%! No no she said 20%.. So we used the example::
    Gas bill €100 with 10% off = €10 Elect bill €100 with 10% off= €10
    Total bill saving €20 from €200 = 10% …RIGHT ?..No… she still insisted it was 20%.
    She said she couldn’t understand how we didn’t want to save. (As it turns out we signed up board gas under a similar deal) but we didn’t tell her that…
    And by the way she was rude.

I was just thinking is this legal or is this not offering a deal under false pretence , I mean can sales reps just say anything to get you to sign up?
    What if you where maybe elderly or perhaps not quick enough to cop on to this ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

These people are not employed by Airtricity and instead are employed by a third party company, like any sales reps they will lie to get a sale. This goes for telecoms and energy companys.

Easiest way to get rid of them is just say your with the company already or plain and simple your not interested and close the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm already with Airtricity.

For electric and gas?

Yes.

OK, bye.

<closes door>.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jor el wrote: »
    I'm already with Airtricity.

For electric and gas?

Yes.

OK, bye.

<closes door>.

Simples.
    i have had them ask for my account number to "check all was well with my account" when i told them i was already with airtricity!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Just say "no, thank you"

and close the door - dont bother getting into whys and why nots

i had bloody eircom at my day again last night, transaction took 15 seconds -

i opened the door, seen the clipboards and eircom jackets - said "no thank you" closed the door and that was that.

i really dont understand why people are getting in such a knot about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i have had them ask for my account number to "check all was well with my account" when i told them i was already with airtricity!

I would tell them, in no uncertain terms, to Fook right off, if they asked me for those details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

jor el wrote: »
    I would tell them, in no uncertain terms, to Fook right off, if they asked me for those details.

Whilst I do appreciate manners, I completely agree with this.
    I don't understand why people feel the need to even enter into conversation with these leeches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have had Airtricity three times also, first was a nice young Indian/Pakistani 19-20 year old, I politely told him no, next was the young couple and third was a bloke by himself. Getting tired of them now to be honest.

Most weird caller was a fellow trying to sign me up for Vodafone, I told him (truthfully) that I was already a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

robust wrote: »
    I was just thinking is this legal or is this not offering a deal under false pretence , I mean can sales reps just say anything to get you to sign up?
    What if you where maybe elderly or perhaps not quick enough to cop on to this ?

I used to have an MBNA credit card. Whenever I rang to query my account they tried to get me to sign up for payment protection. On many occasions they lied to me about things (I work in insurance).

Have only ever lost the rag with a sales person, someone from Eircom a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I used to have an MBNA credit card. Whenever I rang to query my account they tried to get me to sign up for payment protection. On many occasions they lied to me about things (I work in insurance).

MBNA, now there's a company that puts the rest in the ha'penny place, they have to be the Ryanair of the world of financial services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fe1ready

What I don't understand is how they know that we're not customers.

Two called to my mother's house a few weeks back and as soon as I saw them I immediately said ''Oh, Im already a customer'' (as I am in my own home). They looked at me bewildered. There was a long pause as if they knew something I didn't. My mother is with ESB.

Maybe I was just imagining it :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

NTL keeps calling to my sisters house.. Guess who she has internet & BB with?

She just points to the telly and says nothing. It usually takes them a while, sometimes they leave more confused than when they started

They are the henchmen of the devil himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

fe1ready wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how they know that we're not customers.

Two called to my mother's house a few weeks back and as soon as I saw them I immediately said ''Oh, Im already a customer'' (as I am in my own home). They looked at me bewildered. There was a long pause as if they knew something I didn't. My mother is with ESB.

Maybe I was just imagining it :o
    They wouldnt know.

They (the reps) are given areas, addresses and mprn numbers from the (available to all suppliers) esb extranet database to target. These MPRN numbers (as they are taken from the common database) do not include any details with regards to supplier details.

(disclaimer, I am not employed with, on behalf of, or have any other association with, airtricity. I am currently an electricity customer of theirs but thats all :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm friends with someone who used to work for one of these sales companies who represent some power and some television companies

The revolving door of employment in them is ridiculous, I'd say the average duration of staff employment is close to a month at most. They work on commission on top of an extremely basic salary and basically will tell you whatever they can to make the sale.

They're absolute hounds at the best of times and as you said they rarely take no for an answer. They literally get sent to areas and are told to go from door to door throughout the whole estate and "sell like they were saving up for a kidney" (is what my friend said was the supervisors ethos)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

coylemj wrote: »
    MBNA, now there's a company that puts the rest in the ha'penny place, they have to be the Ryanair of the world of financial services.

And I just signed up for a Ryanair MBNA credit card so I'm doubly fooked :D

They keep asking me about payment protection too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

These reps have no idea about who Airtricity's customers are. Since I signed up I have had 5 visits from various reps, including the rep who originally signed me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

If I'm already with Bord Gais for Gas and Electricity, are there any savings to get from switching to Airtricity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Before the days of deregulation of the electricity market in Ireland I did three days at this with N-Power, in Scotland.

It was the shadiest job ever, you were encouraged to be economical with the truth and exaggerate savings etc. (much like the 10%/20% example above). I remember one of the team leaders who was training me signing up a doddery old woman who didn't really know what was going on.

To get into tenement/flat buildings you were told to say: "Just checking up on your gas and electricity supply" into the intercom - a nice vague phrase to get the door opened.

All pay was commission based. Back at the office was like being in a cult. You had to learn chants and if you sold 4 or more "pieces" (contracts) in a day, you go to ring an actual bell and run around the room high-fiving everyone.

I left on the 3rd day, surprised I stuck it that long.

I know competition is great and that, but the minute I heard of deregulation of the market in Ireland I thought: Here come the door-to-door brigade!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Irish people need to learn that it costs nothing to smile, say firmly 'not interested, goodbye' then close the door. A second, friendly 'goodbye' as the door closes is all that is required. Both parties have wasted minimal time. Nobody's stressed. Everyone gets one with their day.

FWIW, as a college student I worked telesales for a stint in the US, following on the deregulation of their telecoms market. Long time ago.

You would not believe the levels of apathy people feel when it comes to their utilities provision. Even when you've been ridden sidesaddle for donkeys, with high prices propping up inefficient business practices and subsidising heavily unionised wages & perks; the vast majority of consumers are too lazy to do anything about saving themselves a few quid.

This is why the new entrants to the market have to use the Direct Sales route. If they did not, then they would not sign up enough consumers in time for them to be able to survive, let alone thrive as alternative providers/businesses.

It'd be nice not to have Direct Sales operations - but until people become more proactive about shopping around in general, don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Having suffered this type of approach from countless vendors down through the years I've adopted the following approach...

a) I always have an old Argos catelogue on the hall table...

b) Once they start their pitch, I grab catelogue, advise them I'm delighted they called as I just happen to have a special offer on at the moment, offer will depend totally on where I open the catelogue; down through the years I've 'offered' specials on lawn mowers, jewellery, watches, bathroom & bedroom furniture...

c) Neither pitch ever lasts longer than 30 seconds, before they make their excuses and leave...

{It would appear 'word is out' insofar as I appear to get far less door to door calls than my immediate neighbours...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭robust

If I'm already with Bord Gais for Gas and Electricity, are there any savings to get from switching to Airtricity ?
    I'm sure a few hundred door to door sales reps could be arranged to call at your door.(Do you want to open that pandoras box?)

b) Once they start their pitch, I grab catelogue, advise them I'm delighted they called as I just happen to have a special offer on at the moment, offer will depend totally on where I open the catelogue; down through the years I've 'offered' specials on lawn mowers, jewellery, watches, bathroom & bedroom furniture...

:D I like this...I'm going to try it.

Irish people need to learn that it costs nothing to smile, say firmly 'not interested, goodbye' then close the door. A second, friendly 'goodbye' as the door closes is all that is required. Both parties have wasted minimal time. Nobody's stressed. Everyone gets one with their day.

Yes a good idea, but hard to do, when faced with an itch it's had not to scratch it.;)

I have got a great one for telesales....I tell them Im just on the way to the toilet and have a bad dose of the scutters. I have heard them laughing out loud on the other end of the line....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Redderneck wrote: »

That only works if both sides act like that. It's the people who are nice to door-to-door salespeople that are barraged with crap.

If you politely say no thanks, goodybe then they generally push you harder and keep at you, and call back weeks later knowing your nice.

Whereas if you're a bit dismissive, they get the message.

I'd know how to smile and I know it costs nothing but it invites salespeople to continue on, which I don't want. When they learn to take a simple no with a smile for an answer, thats all I'll give :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Cerdito wrote: »
    Before the days of deregulation of the electricity market in Ireland I did three days at this with N-Power, in Scotland.

It was the shadiest job ever, you were encouraged to be economical with the truth and exaggerate savings etc. (much like the 10%/20% example above). I remember one of the team leaders who was training me signing up a doddery old woman who didn't really know what was going on.

To get into tenement/flat buildings you were told to say: "Just checking up on your gas and electricity supply" into the intercom - a nice vague phrase to get the door opened.

All pay was commission based. Back at the office was like being in a cult. You had to learn chants and if you sold 4 or more "pieces" (contracts) in a day, you go to ring an actual bell and run around the room high-fiving everyone.

I left on the 3rd day, surprised I stuck it that long.

I know competition is great and that, but the minute I heard of deregulation of the market in Ireland I thought: Here come the door-to-door brigade!

Did this myself for an Australian company. Hi-fives and bell ringing and going to meetings for hours you weren't gettin paid for. That Cobra shower have a lot to answer for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

towger wrote: »

Keep the electricity with Bord Gais and switch your gas over to Flogas. Maximise your discounts, without tying yourself into any contract (the Airtricity contract is particularly onerus)

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

Last year after just moving into a new house I heard a ring at door. I was upstairs in bed at the time so I popped my head out the window and the guy at the door looks up and says electricity. I said ok and made my downstairs to let him in so he could check the meters, he then starts giving me a pitch and I'm like hang on a sec I thought you were the electricity guy. He precedes to tell me he's from Airtricity and asks who I'm with? I'm tell him Bord Gais, he then wants to see my bill at this stage completely confuzzled (I was a bit sleepy) I went in and got the bill, let him have a quick glance and then was like why you want to see my bill?

He then starts saying I can sign up right there and then for amazing discounts if I just give my bank account details. I woke the f**k up and I nearly lost it at this stage, sales-guy standing in my living room asking to see my s**t so I just ushered him out politely (and quickly) out of the house.

I was enraged and rang Airtricity to complain and find out if he was legit. Also it turns out the meter is actually outside our gaff as per all new houses :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

They have been known to sign people up without them even knowing. A friend of mine said they called to his door and he said he wasnt interested.

Becuase his meter was on the front of the house they took down his serial number,found out his MPRN and signed him up to Airtricity on a cheque payment basis and he had no idea.

There was murder when he got an Airtricity bill.

Bunch of total gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was effectively being HARASSED by Airtricity. So much so that I had to call them up and threaten to contact a solicitor.
    I was getting callers from them day after day, sometimes in pairs. Some were very pushy and practically scoffed at me for not accepting their offer. It was funny at first, then maddening. I started being rude to the callers, so I decided to call Airtricty them not to approach my house any more. I haven't had a caller since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Airtricity really need to cop on. I'm so sick of their (many) lying salespeople that, even if they were cheaper, I wouldn't switch to them! Actually had one guy roll his eyes at me and say that if I didn't want to save money there must be something wrong with me. Same guy blatantly lied that Airtricity customers didn't have to pay carbon tax, but other suppliers did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

a good trick to use on them is the old "now's not a good time, give me your home phone number and I'll ring you later while you're having you dinner"

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

I think I'm being harrassed by them!!
    Well not lately but for months they were constantly at my door.
    I like the post about the Argos catalog may try that one:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

I recently did the door to door thing in dublin and couldnt stand it! There is some rubbish being talked in this thread though. We did have the info of who people's suppliers were, so when people said "we already use you", we knew it was 99% not true (note it was not airtricity I worked for).
    Anyone said no to me (or any of the people i worked with), I just said thanks for your time. If someone is not interested from the outset, it is easier just to keep moving. You only sign up about 1 person per 50 houses. Someone said the average time to last is one month and they were bang on, i was gone after 3 weeks! door to door a crap job.
    The worst kind of person to deal with was people who would stand and chat/listen for ten minutes and have no intention of changing! if you are not interested, i dont understand salespeople who try to get pushy (though I do believe it happens).
    If someone calls to my door and I'm not interested, I just say no, thanks and close the door. If they get pushy from there, then you can tell them where to go. One other tip - if someone had a sign up saying "no unsolicited calls", we wouldnt call in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement