Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out! Airtricity about....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

jayteecork wrote: »
    I just signed up with them in Tesco in Midleton.

A very nice young couple had a stand there. Very easy to switch and hassle free seemingly.
    He even gave me his mobile to ring up ESB and get my MS-whatever number. That's all they needed and my DD details. They take care of everything. All in all I'm happy to be on airtricity for the green energy malarky and whatnot.

I just hope I'll also notice some savings.

Sorry to be cynical, but this sounds like a plant from someone associated with Airtricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Sorry to be cynical, but this sounds like a plant from someone associated with Airtricity.

I don't think a forum legend like jaytee would shill for airtricity

hopefully things work out ok for him with them, but I won't be surprised if he's posting on this thread a few months down the line, using several expletives

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hopefully things work out ok for him with them, but I won't be surprised if he's posting on this thread a few months down the line, using several expletives
    'A fool and his money are soon parted' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I don't think a forum legend like jaytee would shill for airtricity

Is it possible to switch back to ESB or Bord Gais straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

I think you have a 20 day objection/cooling off period with all suppliers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

jayteecork wrote: »
    I'm happy to be on airtricity for the green energy malarky and whatnot.

They trade a lot on this claim, however, their green energy is only about 8% of their entire output, the rest of it is plain old brown energy they buy from the grid.

They're not really any better than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iMax wrote: »
    They're not really any better than the others.
    I wonder would Bord Gáis be more green than they are?

I think Airtricity are the greener of the three but we're not talking major differences here. If ESB/Bord Gais green output is about 10%, Airtricity's is only up at about 15%. Hardly a major difference in the whole scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

the worst i had was UPC calling me from the UK on a Sunday at 7.00pm trying to get me to sign up to there phone service, told them everytime I hardly use the mobile phone I have, they then tell me I save on international calls, i don't make any. They then ask what serice i use, i say Meteor, they tell me they have a terrible coverage in Waterford, but i've never lost coverage.

They must have some sort of document in front of them to counteract any response you try and give.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

So I just noticed on my airtricity account that I've received no gas bill since I switched to them in October. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm waiting on a reply email in order to try and head off a whopper of a bill and pay it in stages but based on last years usage during the big freeze I'm looking at €500. I might cancel the direct debit mandate on my bank side just to be safe in case they try and nail me in one :(

• Advertisement

nattyguest wrote: »
    So I just noticed on my airtricity account that I've received no gas bill since I switched to them in October. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm waiting on a reply email in order to try and head off a whopper of a bill and pay it in stages but based on last years usage during the big freeze I'm looking at €500. I might cancel the direct debit mandate on my bank side just to be safe in case they try and nail me in one :(

Can you just cancel the direct debit and change over to ESB again?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Well for now I just want to tackle whatever wad of money it looks like I owe them, and I've setup a spreadsheet and will take my own meter reading each evening after work to keep track of the cost. I guess when things are settled with them I will consider a switcharoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I had an awful time with Airtricity! Had to threaten legal action before they finally closed my account despite saying it was closed already yet kept on sending me bills :rolleyes:

STAY AWAY FROM AIRTRICITY!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think Airtricity are the greener of the three but we're not talking major differences here. If ESB/Bord Gais green output is about 10%, Airtricity's is only up at about 15%. Hardly a major difference in the whole scheme of things.

Best to do a little research before stating such...
    http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=c6a0857d-7355-4d98-83d6-f0aa25539869

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best to do a little research before stating such...
    http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=c6a0857d-7355-4d98-83d6-f0aa25539869

Fair enough. I hold my hands up.

I just looked at the back of my ESB bill which had the country average. Still though, 40% is still a lot that isn't renewable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Marsha

hdowney wrote: »
    I HATE AIRTRICITY :mad:

They have called to the door something like 6 times in the past year (which I know is not a lot compared to some people who have gotten the same amount of calls in a month - bare with me), and don't get it. I have an ESB prepayment meter installed, which suits me fabilis. They start off on their spiel and I am like well that is all well and good but what about my prepayment meter. Its like oh no we don't do them at the moment, but you won't need one if you switch cos we are way cheaper. I'm like, eh how won't I need one. You think I am suddenly gonna be cool with paying a bill monthly just cos you reckon you can save me a few bob on my leccy. No I LIKE paying my leccy by meter, no chance of me running into arrears and being screwed over. They haven't overly pushed at me tbtg.

My gripe with Airtricity isn't them calling to my door, although I do wish they would just piss off. It is the fact I CANNOT go to Tesco to buy groceries without being accosted by some wan trying to get me to sign up. I think upto Christmas they were in my local Tesco for six month solid, right by the door every time you walk in accosting you. Can I interest you in Airtricity. No you friggin can't now get the f away from me before I chokeslam you into your crappy display table. :D

Then after Christmas they got themselves a fancy little trailer unity thingy, kinda like a mobile hotdog stand/free hearing test malarky thingy. They parked up in the main street taking up half the parking spaces for a month and had their reps on both sides of the street snatching you like people from a charity. I swear the next person who asks me do I want to sign up.......:mad::mad:

Hi

Having a prepay Electricity Meter is no gaurantee that you will not get into arrears. I have one of these meters in my house for the last 10 years so have others who are like me are now in arrears.

The ESB have just installed a number of new meters and are taking €80 off my arrears every two months (Gave me no choice in the amount I could pay off). The new meter is eatting the prepay cards unlike my last meter. So BE WARNED keep an eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's eating your cards I assume because it's taking the €80 per month as well. How did you let the arrears build up when you still got a bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Marsha wrote: »
    Hi

Having a prepay Electricity Meter is no gaurantee that you will not get into arrears. I have one of these meters in my house for the last 10 years so have others who are like me are now in arrears.

The ESB have just installed a number of new meters and are taking €80 off my arrears every two months (Gave me no choice in the amount I could pay off). The new meter is eatting the prepay cards unlike my last meter. So BE WARNED keep an eye on it.

gah :eek: that sounds wrong. is the machine set rite. i mean ours was set to take a fiver or something per week off the arrears. we are no longer in arrears (but they won't set it so we r not paying arrears money - so we are building up credit, that without getting rid of the meter, we will NEVER use) but we never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

gah :eek: are you sure the machine is set right? i paid 5e a week in arrears and never had any problems. now the arrears are cleared the esb won't take the arrears off the machine so i am paying and getting into credit, which as long as i have the machine, i won't be able to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Having serious problems with Airtricity. Been paying way over what we should have for a long time now. Find it impossible to get a straight answer out of them. Constantly waiting on call backs. Fed up of it at this stage.

If I was to cancel my Direct Debit to them what repercussions could I expect relating to Credit Rating etc.?
    They are in the wrong and have admitted it yet they keep overcharging us and fail to offer a reasonable solution.

• Advertisement

littlejp wrote: »
    Having serious problems with Airtricity. Been paying way over what we should have for a long time now. Find it impossible to get a straight answer out of them. Constantly waiting on call backs. Fed up of it at this stage.

If I was to cancel my Direct Debit to them what repercussions could I expect relating to Credit Rating etc.?
    They are in the wrong and have admitted it yet they keep overcharging us and fail to offer a reasonable solution.

I just opened the first full bill from Airtricity and it's €295. It's usually around €190 with ESB.:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i love all this complaining bout high bills, lets ignore the winter and what not :rolleyes:

also do you ring in actual reads or let the company 'guess'?

i love all this complaining bout high bills, lets ignore the winter and what not :rolleyes:

Why would they guess. Someone from Airtricity read the meter. Is this not a normal practice?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why would they guess. Someone from Airtricity read the meter. Is this not a normal practice?

Its actually someone from ESB Networks who reads the meter (and they do this on average 3 times a year). Your bill can be estimated up to 4-5 times in a row. Check the bill and see whether its an estimated or an actual reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Cabaal wrote: »
    These people are not employed by Airtricity and instead are employed by a third party company, like any sales reps they will lie to get a sale. This goes for telecoms and energy companys.

Easiest way to get rid of them is just say your with the company already or plain and simple your not interested and close the door.

An easier way is to not answer the door at all. I gave up even entering into conversations with these people after i was told i was stupid for not wanting to sign up!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its esb who read the meters not airtricity, in the absence of a read by an esb tech, and also where the customer has not given an actual resd ( simple phone call) the system needs to estimate, using variables, that tbh arent the best, once an actual read pops in you get your bill adjusted accordingly.

re the direct debit

you cancel it, you get 300 added onto your bill til its reinstated, common practice with all the providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

littlejp wrote: »

If this has been going on for a long time,ring your reading into ESB Networks directly and request from Airtricity that your bill is adjusted. If they are screwing you contact the energy regulator www.cer.ie. If you cancel the DD, Airtricity are famous for disconnecting you so just be aware that you can be out of electricity and will have to pay for a re connection.

It is common knowledge that Airtricity do this all year round it is not just to do with the bad winter we had,this has been going on for years. The matrix Airtricity use for estimating bills is way off and that's why you hear 100's of people complaining about them and very rarely hear about ESB/Bord Gáis problems. Airtricity are the same in the commercial division too.

No one is allowed to come out and read your meter apart from ESB Networks, Networks own the meters and everything else. ESB Networks are the only people who can call out to you and take a reading unless you sign up with a new supplier they can take a reading that day as a closing reading but cannot call out again and read your meter. ESB aim to read your meter 3 times per year and the rest is up to you to call them up with the reading,text the reading,submit it online or download their app.

bungler wrote: »
    It is common knowledge that Airtricity do this all year round it is not just to do with the bad winter we had,this has been going on for years. The matrix Airtricity use for estimating bills is way off and that's why you hear 100's of people complaining about them and very rarely hear about ESB/Bord Gáis problems. Airtricity are the same in the commercial division too.

surely the customer should be submitting their own reads if they feel that this is a concern, adjustments are instantly made once actual reads are submitted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

surely the customer should be submitting their own reads if they feel that this is a concern, adjustments are instantly made once actual reads are submitted...

Have you ver tried to get an adjustment from Airtricity when they have over charged you? they are useless, the only way to to leave them and by law they have to settle the account within 14 days or face hefty fines by CER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

bungler wrote: »
    Have you ver tried to get an adjustment from Airtricity when they have over charged you? they are useless, the only way to to leave them and by law they have to settle the account within 14 days or face hefty fines by CER

Have been submitting meter readings fairly regularly for the last year and there has never been a change. Same price 12 months of the year.

I have a case in with CER already relating to refund we are due for being overcharged for 2 and a half years. Airtricity have admitted fault but told us we would have to contact the ESB about a refund. Find this hard to believe. We are Airtricity customers so should not have to deal with another company.

My other problem with them is that they continue to send us ridiculously high bills even from when this initial problem was raised with them.

Bungler, are you saying that if I was to switch to Bord Gais, then Airtricity would have 14 days to arrange settlement of my account? What if we cannot come to an agreement?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement