Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out! Airtricity about....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

littlejp wrote: »
    Have been submitting meter readings fairly regularly for the last year and there has never been a change. Same price 12 months of the year.

I have a case in with CER already relating to refund we are due for being overcharged for 2 and a half years. Airtricity have admitted fault but told us we would have to contact the ESB about a refund. Find this hard to believe. We are Airtricity customers so should not have to deal with another company.

My other problem with them is that they continue to send us ridiculously high bills even from when this initial problem was raised with them.

Bungler, are you saying that if I was to switch to Bord Gais, then Airtricity would have 14 days to arrange settlement of my account? What if we cannot come to an agreement?

Thats the rules i know two companies that were owed money and changed to another supplier and had a cheque issued within the 14days but as far as i know they cc'd airtricity when they emailed the CER. Have a look into it and change to someone else if they are messing you about

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bungler wrote: »
    Have you ver tried to get an adjustment from Airtricity when they have over charged you? they are useless, the only way to to leave them and by law they have to settle the account within 14 days or face hefty fines by CER

well provided you on the correct tariff, any overcharge is automatically adjusted, its how the system works, its harder not to adjust it.

well provided you on the correct tariff, any overcharge is automatically adjusted, its how the system works, its harder not to adjust it.

Couldnt disagree with you anymore. Airtricity's system does not work like that at all they have been fined by te CER more times than ive had hot dinners over this

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Marsha

It's eating your cards I assume because it's taking the €80 per month as well. How did you let the arrears build up when you still got a bill?

Hi Kara Damp Hairpin,

Its true was getting a bill every month, and the first time I ever seen it I just did not understand how if I was pre paying I was in arrears so I rang the ESB, they came out and adjusted the meter. I think either the meters were faulty (running slow or eles it is down to them never coming out to adjust the meter when the Electric went up). In all the time I am in this house they have only been out about 3 times and one of those times was when I got the meter moved from inside the house to outside at my own expense. I had to have a Recci and ESB networks out to complete the job. Made their job easier to read and change the meter. Anyway they adjusted the meter then but that was 2004. I know I have to pay the money, not disputting this, its just its through no fault of mine that I am this behind and think they let this go on for 10 years and now they want it back so quick, no regard to the hardship they are causing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I'm with airtricity well over a year now and want to switch back to bord gais or wait and see the new esb offers next month, can I just switch to one of the others or do I have to give airtricity notice first.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

They are a disaster, unfortunately I got caught and signed up on a 12 month contract. If only they would get people out to read the meters instead of constantly estimating way over the value. Will me going back with ESB as soon as contract is up - don't know why I switched over in the first place. STAY CLEAR!

Davexirl wrote: »
    I'm with airtricity well over a year now and want to switch back to bord gais or wait and see the new esb offers next month, can I just switch to one of the others or do I have to give airtricity notice first.

Thanks

Provided you are not in a contract you can just sign up with BG and you dont even have to contact Airtricity

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Couldnt disagree with you anymore. Airtricity's system does not work like that at all they have been fined by te CER more times than ive had hot dinners over this

i know for a fact thats how it works so i'm going to just say your wrong.

i know for a fact thats how it works so i'm going to just say your wrong.

Fact? please explain?

the produce green electricity, and provide a gas service through bord gais, they piggyback off the esb networks to provide power and feed the esb grid with green energy from their turbine...

it's not that difficult
    OMG!!! Are you for real?

How can you tell if the electricity is green. I can't see ours. Looked in sockets but - nothing!

Is piggybacking on ESB Networks not dangerous? Some of those networks carry over 110,000 volts.
    And how do they produce electricity when there is no wind?
    While they might produce more green electricity than ESB or Bord Gais, no where near 100% of their electricity is green
    Melek is saying that they produce green electricity.

He is not saying they produce a % of green electricity and the rest is made up from power stations the same as Bord Gáis and ESB

melekalikimaka is this more of your facts that are true or should we be silly enough to beleive the thruth?

• Advertisement

melekalikimaka is this more of your facts that are true or should we be silly enough to beleive the thruth?

i'm telling you what i personally know, if you chose not to believe it, don't, i was merely correcting comments i saw here with information i know to be accurate and not based on hearsay or assumptions, I have no interest in debating this with you further.

i'm telling you what i personally know, if you chose not to believe it, don't, i was merely correcting comments i saw here with information i know to be accurate and not based on hearsay or assumptions, I have no interest in debating this with you further.

Well then educate all of us wrong people, show us the FACTS on how you are right. Of course you dont want to debate it with me because your pulling "facts" out of your swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Marsha wrote: »
    Hi Srameen,

Its true was getting a bill every month, I know I have to pay the money, not disputting this, its just its through no fault of mine that I am this behind and think they let this go on for 10 years and now they want it back so quick, no regard to the hardship they are causing.

For years you got a bill showing your pre-pays were not enough. I'm sorry but you have to accept a good deal of responsibilty for the situation. I'm not saying it's fair but you really can't say it is no fault of yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jor el wrote: »
    I'm already with Airtricity.

For electric and gas?

Yes.

OK, bye.

<closes door>.

Simples.

I prefer the "get off my land" approach. :P

I actually did this job for 3/4 weeks before packing it in because I had a concience - and it was incompatible with making a living from it.

bmarley wrote: »
    They are a disaster, unfortunately I got caught and signed up on a 12 month contract. If only they would get people out to read the meters instead of constantly estimating way over the value. Will me going back with ESB as soon as contract is up - don't know why I switched over in the first place. STAY CLEAR!

Just for clarity. ESB Networks reads the meters for all the supply companies and estimates where readings are not taken, so although I'm with ESB Customer Supply, I think we must be fair and tell the story as it really is.

Bungler YOU are wrong to say this is wrong. Unless we're all at crossed purposes. Overcharges based on meter readings are automatically corrected with the next reading. The system does not allow for anything else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In 2008- Airtricity matched 79% of the energy used by their customers with renewable energy fed into the national grid.
    In 2009 this figure was 72%. In 2010 this figure was down to 63%

Approximately 1/3 of the energy used by airtricity customers is from traditional energy sources as opposed to renewable energy sources. The percentage supplied- has fallen each of the last 3 years for which figures are available- unlike the ESB, Bord Gais, NTE and other suppliers (who admittedly are starting at a much lower level, but then again- they don't obsfusciate the source of their energy, in the way Airtricity do).

You can contact the CER who are only too happy to talk at length about percentages of renewable energy in use by suppliers etc.......

smccarrick wrote: »
    In 2008- Airtricity matched 79% of the energy used by their customers with renewable energy fed into the national grid.
    In 2009 this figure was 72%. In 2010 this figure was down to 63%

Approximately 1/3 of the energy used by airtricity customers is from traditional energy sources as opposed to renewable energy sources. The percentage supplied- has fallen each of the last 3 years for which figures are available- unlike the ESB, Bord Gais, NTE and other suppliers (who admittedly are starting at a much lower level, but then again- they don't obsfusciate the source of their energy, in the way Airtricity do).

You can contact the CER who are only too happy to talk at length about percentages of renewable energy in use by suppliers etc.......

i dont see them branding themselves as a green energy company in a while now? new ad campaigns reflect that. and im talking about meter readings anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

I wonder is there some confusion here between bills estimated and otherwise and Airtricitys somewhat "unusual" monthly budget scheme. I have seen several examples where you sign up and your first 5 or 6 bills look great I personally saw a good few that were charging customers €30/€40 a month by direct debit this would equate to a two monthly bill of €60/€80. Sadly when they do their "roundup you are suddenly presented with a bill for several hundred euros and they seem to demand it on the nail.ESB used to have and may still have a similar system but I dont remember it causing this kind of trouble, and in the few cases it did they did negotiate to extract the money over a period of time.
    Just to clarify I come across this stuff through some charity work

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    I wonder is there some confusion here between bills estimated and otherwise and Airtricitys somewhat "unusual" monthly budget scheme. I have seen several examples where you sign up and your first 5 or 6 bills look great I personally saw a good few that were charging customers €30/€40 a month by direct debit this would equate to a two monthly bill of €60/€80. Sadly when they do their "roundup you are suddenly presented with a bill for several hundred euros and they seem to demand it on the nail.ESB used to have and may still have a similar system but I dont remember it causing this kind of trouble, and in the few cases it did they did negotiate to extract the money over a period of time.
    Just to clarify I come across this stuff through some charity work

the monthly plan is in place so you can get an 'amount' debited from your account at intervals to ofset or pay your bill when it arrives, its a dynamic thing and large consumption will cause a deficit which will be apparent on your bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Just for clarity. ESB Networks reads the meters for all the supply companies and estimates where readings are not taken, so although I'm with ESB Customer Supply, I think we must be fair and tell the story as it really is.

OK didn't realise that, thought each read their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

its a dynamic thing and large consumption will cause a deficit which will be apparent on your bill

But I dealt with several cases where the debitted amount never rose in line with the consumption. So you started at say €40 per month which came out of your bank account ok your bill may have said that your consumption was say €160 -€80 (40x2) leaving a carry forward it was never called arrears from my memory of €80 this was rince and repeat for a few bills. Your right people should look at their bills but a lot of people dont and those I dealt with ALL claimed that when they signed on they were told that they would be advised in advance if the amount to be debitted was to altered. When everything was going through at the lower figure they thought all good since the €40 a month was an Airtricity figure to start with they were blown away when they got demands looking for several hundred euro. Just the experience of those I dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Im with airtricity for both gas and electricity and found the bills are now half again as expensive as they used to be with bord gas and esb.
    Must see about changing back, wonder will esb be doing deals now with them being allowed to lower prices now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Had a case open with the CER.
    They ruled in my favour and "have instructed Airtricity to provide you with a refund of the money which you were over charged by."
    They also said that Airtricity will be in touch in the next few days to sort this out.
    Does anyone know is there a timeframe in which Airtricity have to resolve this?

Ask CER as they handled the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Moved out of my old apartment 2 months ago,I had switched over to Airtricity for my electrical supply for the last 6 months there,took 6 weeks to get a closing bill from them.

I never switched over the gas as there was some mix up on their side and we paid off our bordgais bill when we left the apartment within a day or two.Now,2 months later I'm after getting a bill from Airtricity for my old apartment for the gas totalling over €70.It's billing me from the date I left btw.

Are these guys possibly the most imcompetent company ever?
    I'm currently with them for gas and electrical in my new apartment,I think I'm just gonna switch over to bordgais as I can't be dealing with their **** ups any more if/when I move again.It's just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

A couple of months ago I had a guy from Airtricity call to the door. Kinda pressured me a bit to change over, but I held firm and said I would look at the website and make my decision in my own time. I did consider it and at the time me and my Fiancée decided not to change. We have our Electricity and Gas with Bord Gáis (and are happy with the service, could always reduce their prices tho).

Today, had a guy from Airtricty call to the door to ask me how happy I was with my Airtricity service. Surprised....I told him that I had not switched over to them and was still with Bord Gáis. (Fail No. 1 for Airtricity)

I was a little on edge at this point, but thought I'd let him give me the talk and see what the story is. 20% off the Gas and 6% off the Lecie he says....HHHHmmmmmm it thought and he wanted me to switch there and then. I explained to him that I would like to think about it and make my decision in my own time....he was ok about this, but highlighted that if you change-over by the web they'll need €300 deposit....a bit shocked...he had me wanting to sign there and then, but I held out.

Just after looking on their website and discovered that the Rep forgot to inform me of one very important piece of info...The above reductions only relate to a Fixed-term Contract, with lower savings on the Flexi-contract.

I think I dodged a bullet there, I'm not saying that I won't switch over (although the incompetence I've experienced already I would seriously think of staying where I am), but I wish these companies would just f*** *ff, and stop calling to peoples' doors!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 martin.maco

Very interesting discussion and because I work as an Airtricity sales representative, I would like to say a few things about my job.

First of all, majority of current Airtricity customers have signed up on the door. I am not a sadist freak who loves harassing people, we are doing business and we are doing it this way because it works. If you have better ideas how to get 500,000 customers in 2 years, I'm prepared to listen to you.

Now few ideas that could help both of us:
    1. If you don't like salespeople, put a "no salespeople" sticker on your door and I'll leave you alone. You'll save your as well as my time.
    2. You're not obligated to listen to salespeople. But if you decide to do so, let me tell you what's my offer about before you accept or refuse it. Most of people who say no don't have a clue what exactly we do (proven earlier in this thread, e.q. people thinking they still get a bill from ESB for service) and until you stop doing this, don't be surprised when I dismiss your first no.
    Once I even asked a random guy in dundrum shopping centre how to get to the LUAS stop and he said "no I'm not interested".
    3. Be honest and straight forward, don't lie or make excuses. If you behave like a reasonable person, you'll be treated like one. If you behave like a prick, you'll be treated like one. Always say the real reason why you say no and I'll accept it, even if you say something like "I'm just too lazy" or "I'm not used to make decisions".
    4. If you don't know something, ask, that's why they send us to you. Don't say no just because you don't understand how our service works. Irrational fear of unknown things is called xenophobia.
    5. Some salespeople lie. If they lie, get their name and id number and complain to Airtricity, not on the internet, in a pub, to your neighbour or to the next salesperson. People who lie deserve to be punished. I don't deserve to be punished instead or them.
    6. Don't get paranoid about your bank account number, there's nothing illegal I could do with it. Airtricity bank details are printed on their leaflet, try to misuse them if you think it's possible. If you want to be 100% sure, ask in your bank.
    7. Stop talking nonsense about poor vulnerable old people, they're the most difficult customers. Majority of people I sign up are educated upper-middle or high class people, mostly working as business owners, bankers, accountants, lawyers, doctors, IT specialists, etc. Once I signed up a fraud analyst from one of the top 4 Irish banks.
    8. You don't have to sign a contract if you want to keep your backdoor open.
    9. I am an Airtricity customer, unlike ESB or BG employees I have no special staff discount but I have no problems with my bills or service.
    10. All this is just my personal point of view which may be different from official company policy and I am not saying anything on behalf of the whole company.
    11. I am not direct employee of Airtricity.
    12. Don't forget the sticker on your door ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Very interesting discussion and because I work as an Airtricity sales representative, I would like to say a few things about my job.

First of all, majority of current Airtricity customers have signed up on the door. I am not a sadist freak who loves harassing people, we are doing business and we are doing it this way because it works. If you have better ideas how to get 500,000 customers in 2 years, I'm prepared to listen to you.

Now few ideas that could help both of us:
    1. If you don't like salespeople, put a "no salespeople" sticker on your door and I'll leave you alone. You'll save your as well as my time.
    2. You're not obligated to listen to salespeople. But if you decide to do so, let me tell you what's my offer about before you accept or refuse it. Most of people who say no don't have a clue what exactly we do (proven earlier in this thread, e.q. people thinking they still get a bill from ESB for service) and until you stop doing this, don't be surprised when I dismiss your first no.
    Once I even asked a random guy in dundrum shopping centre how to get to the LUAS stop and he said "no I'm not interested".
    3. Be honest and straight forward, don't lie or make excuses. If you behave like a reasonable person, you'll be treated like one. If you behave like a prick, you'll be treated like one. Always say the real reason why you say no and I'll accept it, even if you say something like "I'm just too lazy" or "I'm not used to make decisions".
    4. If you don't know something, ask, that's why they send us to you. Don't say no just because you don't understand how our service works. Irrational fear of unknown things is called xenophobia.
    5. Some salespeople lie. If they lie, get their name and id number and complain to Airtricity, not on the internet, in a pub, to your neighbour or to the next salesperson. People who lie deserve to be punished. I don't deserve to be punished instead or them.
    6. Don't get paranoid about your bank account number, there's nothing illegal I could do with it. Airtricity bank details are printed on their leaflet, try to misuse them if you think it's possible. If you want to be 100% sure, ask in your bank.
    7. Stop talking nonsense about poor vulnerable old people, they're the most difficult customers. Majority of people I sign up are educated upper-middle or high class people, mostly working as business owners, bankers, accountants, lawyers, doctors, IT specialists, etc. Once I signed up a fraud analyst from one of the top 4 Irish banks.
    8. You don't have to sign a contract if you want to keep your backdoor open.
    9. I am an Airtricity customer, unlike ESB or BG employees I have no special staff discount but I have no problems with my bills or service.
    10. All this is just my personal point of view which may be different from official company policy and I am not saying anything on behalf of the whole company.
    11. I am not direct employee of Airtricity.
    12. Don't forget the sticker on your door ;)

but as most people who have experienced airtricity will tell you the sales people are not trained or paid to take no as an answer and will use any means at their disposal to get that commission. Hopefully people will see your advertising post for what it was and vote with their feet and sign up online or by phone and help stamp out these audience callers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 martin.maco

They have been known to sign people up without them even knowing. A friend of mine said they called to his door and he said he wasnt interested.

Becuase his meter was on the front of the house they took down his serial number,found out his MPRN and signed him up to Airtricity on a cheque payment basis and he had no idea.

There was murder when he got an Airtricity bill.

Bunch of total gangsters

Nonsense, the customer needs to give 3 signatures on the application form, without this no application would be processed. Moreover they would need his full name, date of birth and phone number - it's quite hard to believe he told them this if he wasn't interested.
    PS: if something like that theoretically happened, they would get about 5 years in jail and probably life term ban from every job involving customer service or data processing. Can't imagine that somebody would risk this for €10-20 commission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement