Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out! Airtricity about....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

I had a young guy and girl give me the same speil as described by others. When I said no they said they wanted to see my meter to show me how much I could save. I said no and they actually made an effort to get past me into the house. I wont go into detail on my next move.

I now dont bother answering the door in the evening. Its either Airtricity, TV License inspector or Fianna Fail, all of which I can happily do without

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

damn id love if they tried to enter my house or laugh in my face when i say no to them.
    they would quickly find im not so polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I find that just saying 'I switched to ye a month ago, thanks very much' works well for all of them.
    Sometimes I even wait until they tell me which company they are working for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Best thing you can say is that you run a business from your home and you have a commercial meter and you have just signed into a 12 month contract with bord gais so you cant move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bungler wrote: »
    Best thing you can say is that you run a business from your home and you have a commercial meter and you have just signed into a 12 month contract with bord gais so you cant move.

Sad people who have to lie rather than just say "No Thanks" and close the door. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Sad people who have to lie rather than just say "No Thanks" and close the door. :rolleyes:

I only said this becuase some people have said that they were not interested but the rep continued to try sell to them and even called back to their house the next day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

It's sad that people have to lie to sell a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sadly, no thanks does not work on these people.

Sadly, no thanks does not work on these people.

Works for me when I follow it by closing the door. :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Works for me when I follow it by closing the door. :P

works perfectly for me too :)

no thank you, close door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I HATE AIRTRICITY :mad:

They have called to the door something like 6 times in the past year (which I know is not a lot compared to some people who have gotten the same amount of calls in a month - bare with me), and don't get it. I have an ESB prepayment meter installed, which suits me fabilis. They start off on their spiel and I am like well that is all well and good but what about my prepayment meter. Its like oh no we don't do them at the moment, but you won't need one if you switch cos we are way cheaper. I'm like, eh how won't I need one. You think I am suddenly gonna be cool with paying a bill monthly just cos you reckon you can save me a few bob on my leccy. No I LIKE paying my leccy by meter, no chance of me running into arrears and being screwed over. They haven't overly pushed at me tbtg.

My gripe with Airtricity isn't them calling to my door, although I do wish they would just piss off. It is the fact I CANNOT go to Tesco to buy groceries without being accosted by some wan trying to get me to sign up. I think upto Christmas they were in my local Tesco for six month solid, right by the door every time you walk in accosting you. Can I interest you in Airtricity. No you friggin can't now get the f away from me before I chokeslam you into your crappy display table. :D

Then after Christmas they got themselves a fancy little trailer unity thingy, kinda like a mobile hotdog stand/free hearing test malarky thingy. They parked up in the main street taking up half the parking spaces for a month and had their reps on both sides of the street snatching you like people from a charity. I swear the next person who asks me do I want to sign up.......:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hdowney wrote: »
    No you friggin can't now get the f away from me before I chokeslam you into your crappy display table. :D

think there's a few of us that'd like to see that happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Got home to the apartment complex last night to find the airtricity guy buzzing the entire block and trying to get in, he tried to follow me in the security door and i informed him if he wanted to speak to a particular customer of his he should buzz the number he wants.

Didnt feel guilty and left him outside to figure out another way to spam my neighbours and i as obviously people were not buzzing him in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Cerdito wrote: »
    Before the days of deregulation of the electricity market in Ireland I did three days at this with N-Power, in Scotland.

It was the shadiest job ever, you were encouraged to be economical with the truth and exaggerate savings etc. (much like the 10%/20% example above). I remember one of the team leaders who was training me signing up a doddery old woman who didn't really know what was going on.

To get into tenement/flat buildings you were told to say: "Just checking up on your gas and electricity supply" into the intercom - a nice vague phrase to get the door opened.

All pay was commission based. Back at the office was like being in a cult. You had to learn chants and if you sold 4 or more "pieces" (contracts) in a day, you go to ring an actual bell and run around the room high-fiving everyone.

I left on the 3rd day, surprised I stuck it that long.

I know competition is great and that, but the minute I heard of deregulation of the market in Ireland I thought: Here come the door-to-door brigade!

Worked for a crowd called PMD MArketing and thats the very same thing that happened there. Im sure you were told you'd be running an office etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Airtricity really need to cop on. I'm so sick of their (many) lying salespeople that, even if they were cheaper, I wouldn't switch to them! Actually had one guy roll his eyes at me and say that if I didn't want to save money there must be something wrong with me. Same guy blatantly lied that Airtricity customers didn't have to pay carbon tax, but other suppliers did.

It is true that they dont pay carbon tax because they use the wind and not coal etc

No. It is lies.

sendit wrote: »
    It is true that they dont pay carbon tax because they use the wind and not coal etc

You are listening to the salemen too much. Of course they pay carbon tax. Also, most of the electricity they supply does not come from Wind. They supply from the Grid, as all electricity supplier do, where at most (on a windy day) 20% comes from wind. Catch yourself on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭moomoocow

It's all well and good to be slating theres people on a form behind a username but at the end of the day these people are doing there job and at least there out there doing something insteed of sitting on there holes drawing the dole. People might not thinks it a ''real job'' but incase you haven't noticed there ant that many jobs out there. The way things are everyone needs to save money where ever they can and threse people bring the saving to you and you dont have to do a thing, by in large people are too lazy to go out a change over them selfs so thats why they send people out do this.

You are listening to the salemen too much. Of course they pay carbon tax. Also, most of the electricity they supply does not come from Wind. They supply from the Grid, as all electricity supplier do, where at most (on a windy day) 20% comes from wind. Catch yourself on!

The electricity to supply is all made from the wind and goes into the grid along with the ESB and Board Gas.

No they dont pay a cardon tax because they are producing the electricity themselfs from the wind, where as the ESB produce theres from burning coal etc, also Board Gas buy the electricity from the ESB as they dont produce there own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

moomoocow wrote: »
    It's all well and good to be slating theres people on a form behind a username but at the end of the day these people are doing there job and at least there out there doing something insteed of sitting on there holes drawing the dole. People might not thinks it a ''real job'' but incase you haven't noticed there ant that many jobs out there. The way things are everyone needs to save money where ever they can and threse people bring the saving to you and you dont have to do a thing, by in large people are too lazy to go out a change over them selfs so thats why they send people out do this.

BS! I've done this job in the past and it was probably the most dishonest job i've ever done. Can't believe the crap the get you to say and the amount of signing up that goes on on the sly or just blatant lying is disgraceful.
    Unbelievable i lasted as long as i did (2 weeks)

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    BS! I've done this job in the past and it was probably the most dishonest job i've ever done. Can't believe the crap the get you to say and the amount of signing up that goes on on the sly or just blatant lying is disgraceful.
    Unbelievable i lasted as long as i did (2 weeks)

Im not saying its a great job im just saying there just trying to make a bit of money for themself. By in large most of them are honset people who just want to make some money for themselfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Im not saying its a great job im just saying there just trying to make a bit of money for themself. By in large most of them are honset people who just want to make some money for themselfs

Im waiting for you to post "im sorry to disturb your saturday browsing but can i ask you who your provider is".

Stop with the emotional crap about people needing jobs as if airtricity are the saviours of the unemployed, the tactics used and the way they operate are dubious, signing customers up to the service when they dont request it, constantly spamming people when they have refused the service..pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The electricity to supply is all made from the wind and goes into the grid along with the ESB and Board Gas.

All of what Airtricty supply to the grid might be from wind (or other renewables) I don't know, but their customers do not get 100% renewable energy. There'll always be coal/peat/gas etc. used when there are calm days with no wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

No they dont pay a cardon tax because they are producing the electricity themselfs from the wind, where as the ESB produce theres from burning coal etc, also Board Gas buy the electricity from the ESB as they dont produce there own

Jesus what nonsense. Firstly they buy their electricity from the SEM pool all producers of electricity sell their electricity to (For the most part) the suppliers then buy from this pool to sell to customers. On a very good wind day Airtricity (which by the way is really Scottish and Southern Energy) can supply 75% of their customers with "Wind Energy" for the most part they buy from the pool which has electricity from Coal Gas etc and from the Moyle inter connector which has Oil, Gas and even Nuclear.

Bord Gais dont buy their electricity from the ESB sure they have a 400 odd MW CCGT power plant in Cork and have own roughly the same amount of wind farms as the ESB and Airtricity. The ESB only generate 40% of the electricity in Ireland the rest is Bord Gais, Veridian, Tynagh etc.

By the tone of your post I would say you are one of these salesmen and it proves the point of this thread. Spreading mis information through ignorance perhaps

Sugarfree wrote: »
    Jesus what nonsense. Firstly they buy their electricity from the SEM pool all producers of electricity sell their electricity to (For the most part) the suppliers then buy from this pool to sell to customers. On a very good wind day Airtricity (which by the way is really Scottish and Southern Energy) can supply 75% of their customers with "Wind Energy" for the most part they buy from the pool which has electricity from Coal Gas etc and from the Moyle inter connector which has Oil, Gas and even Nuclear.

Bord Gais dont buy their electricity from the ESB sure they have a 400 odd MW CCGT power plant in Cork and have own roughly the same amount of wind farms as the ESB and Airtricity. The ESB only generate 40% of the electricity in Ireland the rest is Bord Gais, Veridian, Tynagh etc.

By the tone of your post I would say you are one of these salesmen and it proves the point of this thread. Spreading mis information through ignorance perhaps

As a matter of fact im not, however a friend of mine works for Airtricty(not in sales) so im sure he knows a whole lot more about it then you do. Also they are not Scottish and Southern Energy they are owned by them theres a bit of a difference there.

Board Gais dont produce there electricity last time i looked they were a gas compnay not an electricity company.

But since your such an expert on the subject i wont say anymore because im sure it'll be all wrong

You are wrong.

BGE do generate electricity as stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As a matter of fact im not, however a friend of mine works for Airtricty(not in sales) so im sure he knows a whole lot more about it then you do. Also they are not Scottish and Southern Energy they are owned by them theres a bit of a difference there.

Board Gais dont produce there electricity last time i looked they were a gas compnay not an electricity company.
    They're an energy company, supplying electricity since 2009.
    http://www.bordgais.ie/corporate/index.jsp?p=848&n=731
    WhiteGate gas fired power station was officially opened in December 2010
    They also operate 218MW of wind farms and have more on the way as well as plans for another 400 MW worth of gas-fired generators.

But since your such an expert on the subject i wont say anymore because im sure it'll be all wrong
    QED, but I hope you don't leave the thread because of something you didn't know until you learnt it.

Im not going to comment anymore because unlike alot of people hear i have better things to do then bitch about people who are only doing there job. Also alot of people say there being ''misled'' well made if ye opened yer ears and actually listined there wouldn't be any bother

You are so wrong on so many fronts and really need to check out the electricity market.

Airtricity don't produce 20% of what they supply from wind power. ESB owns many windfarms and do not only use coal. BGE do have their own generation capacity.

Please don't make statements of fact when you have no idea of what is actually going on.

• Advertisement

Giod God! Where have you been? BGE supply and generate electricity. What can't you understand there.

You are being pedantic to say Airtricity are not Scottish & Southern. Yes they own Airtricity and trade as Airtricity but the parent company is Scottish & Southern. They ARE Scottish & Southern.

As for your friend, I think with 35 years in the electricty supply and distribution business I might understand the market better then he.

And yes, best you say no more as it will most certainly be wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement