Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out! Airtricity about....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

moomoocow wrote: »
    Im not going to comment anymore because unlike alot of people hear i have better things to do then bitch about people who are only doing there job. Also alot of people say there being ''misled'' well made if ye opened yer ears and actually listined there wouldn't be any bother

I think you just did comment :P
    It's as simple as this: when someone shows up at my door, and starts with "you can save on your ESB bill, and nothing will change", I feel that I am being misled, Because I wouldn't save on my ESB bill, but on a bill from some other company.
    When I say clearly, that I do not wish to switch to another company, and that person says to me that it's not about switching, I'm again being misled, because you ARE switching, you are signing a contract with a different supplier.

As someone said a few posts back, I have as well worked for one of those bell ringing, high fiving, juice screaming offices, and was promised to become rich from it.
    They do teach a lot of sneaky methods to put people on the wrong foot, there's no two ways about it!
    And I hate being lied to by some badly dressed muppet on my own driveway.
    I also have to say that I've had some people on the door that were in fact honest, they told me immediately what company they were from and that they were SELLING CONTRACTS. Those people are doing an honest job and I won't be rude to them, but each and every one of those Airtricity ones have blatently lied to me.

Another thing, Stop telling people that you or someone you know, knows more about the whole energy marked and system, who cares?? I use energy on daily base and pay the bill, what more is there to know?
    If people want to stay with ESB and keep things simple and straightforward, even if that means they maybe pay a few bob more, then that's their good right.
    I really don't want another smartarse little ****e on my door, laughing because I don't want to sign a contract and 'save a lot of money'.

And that's that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

A few tips;-

tell them that you're only working here.

you're father is out, even if you're 60 or 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Im not going to comment anymore because unlike alot of people hear i have better things to do then bitch about people who are only doing there job. Also alot of people say there being ''misled'' well made if ye opened yer ears and actually listined there wouldn't be any bother

I guess you haven't read the thread from the beginning have you?
    Lets see who is misleading whom..... starting with the OP:
    robust wrote: »
    3rd time…The other night at about 8ish a girl called at the door from Airtricity. My wife answered and received the same story. She politely declined. She was asked did she want to save 20% off her Esb and gas bill. That if we signed up for 1 year we would get 10% of electricity and 10% off our gas..But hold on my wife said that’s not 20% that’s 10%! No no she said 20%.. So we used the example::
    Gas bill €100 with 10% off = €10 Elect bill €100 with 10% off= €10
    Total bill saving €20 from €200 = 10% …RIGHT ?..No… she still insisted it was 20%.
    Got this too (in the last week I've have 2 twats at the door and 2 on the phone). Picked up phone and was asked whether I wanted to save "30%" on my gas + elec........
    I had this 10%-20% conversation with a person from Airtricity too when they came to my door. They were saying I would save 20% as I would get 10% off my gas bill and 10% off my electricity so I would be saving 20%. I explained to her how I would need to be getting 20% off both gas and electricity to save 20%. She says "Are you a mathematician or something?"!!
    ArtSmart wrote: »
    the second time girl /boy combo and she came out with an outrageous line - 'we're here to check that your not using too much electricity' - thankfully the guy had an airtricity form in his hands or i might have given them more time than my 2 second rule.
    Obviously some householders had their ears open and recognised misleading sales tactics when they heard them.
    The electricity to supply is all made from the wind and goes into the grid along with the ESB and Board Gas.

No they dont pay a cardon tax because they are producing the electricity themselfs from the wind, where as the ESB produce theres from burning coal etc, also Board Gas buy the electricity from the ESB as they dont produce there own
    All of the energy they generate is from renewable sources but it's not 100% of the energy they supply to the householder. It seems you yourself have been misled.

BTW: we understand that these sales people are not direct Airtricity staff, but they are contracted to sell on behalf of Airtricity and their tactics seem to be dragging Airtricity's good name down. I've had a few come to my door, they were very nice and pleasant and respected my wish not to take up their offer without any fuss, unfortunately, as you can read above, others have experienced differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

weemammy wrote: »

As someone said a few posts back, I have as well worked for one of those bell ringing, high fiving, juice screaming offices, and was promised to become rich from it.
    They do teach a lot of sneaky methods to put people on the wrong foot, there's no two ways about it!

Did you get to ring a big loud siren if you met your quota for the day when you got back to the office too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

slimjimmc wrote: »

BTW: we understand that these sales people are not direct Airtricity staff, but they are contracted to sell on behalf of Airtricity and their tactics seem to be dragging Airtricity's good name down. I've had a few come to my door, they were very nice and pleasant and respected my wish not to take up their offer without any fuss, unfortunately, as you can read above, others have experienced differently.

They more than likely work for some affiliate of the Cobra Corporation, a world wide pest on homeowners that lot.

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    Did you get to ring a big loud siren if you met your quota for the day when you got back to the office too?

Yeah, lol. Only in The Netherlands, but like u said, it's one big, brainwashing family :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

When i worked with PMD Marketing you were more or less told to not so much lie but to bend the truth, for example you'd tell someone that by changing to Airtricity that they well be doing something for the evinoment (fair enough noting wrong with that) but you would have also told them that theres no change to there supply(witch there isn't), what im trying to say is you would have told them its the same eletricity as they already have but when they change its somehow different. Im not sure if people will understand what im trying to say i just cant find the right words.

Alot of the things that the people who come to the door tell you are more a misunderstanding. A prime example is the Budget Plan that Airtricity have, when i was working with them i was told at least 3 different ways as to how it worked and im sure the same happened to others.

With PMD people aren't trained right as the people training them are more worried about themself running an office etc insteed of the poor person who calls to a house and trough no falt of there own tells the person in the house what they were told by there trainer and as far as they know what there telling the person is true when its not.

Alot of the one who says stuff like ''you must be mad not to want to save'' or anything like that have been more or less brain washed.

When i was there i never lied to anyone about what they would save or if they wanted to change back etc and i may not have made as much as others but i didn't want to lie for the sack of 13 euro commission.

Really theres no point ringing up Airtricity about is as they more then likely wont even know who the person is the one you really need to get after is the marketing company.

You're spot on Sendit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

As a matter of fact im not, however a friend of mine works for Airtricty(not in sales) so im sure he knows a whole lot more about it then you do. Also they are not Scottish and Southern Energy they are owned by them theres a bit of a difference there.

Board Gais dont produce there electricity last time i looked they were a gas compnay not an electricity company.

But since your such an expert on the subject i wont say anymore because im sure it'll be all wrong

I have worked in the energy industry so I know a small bit about it. Its Bord Gais by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Airtricity are in Tesco near me at the moment. They guy stopped us yesterday (we were in a hurry to get my sister from school) We told him No thanks. He then started questioning us why. My mam told him we were happy with the ESB. He didn't even really tell us we'd be saving anything he just kept saying oh you'd be better with airtricity.

My Gran lives with my mam so she gets her free units on her esb bill, they are automatically deducted. With Airtricty the units arent automatically deducted, you have to pay then bill then wait for them to refund you the free unit money. My mother tried to explain to this guy that she didn't want all the hassle. He wasn't having any of it. We just started walking away and he was still shouting after us about how we'd be better off moving to Airtricity but he still didnt tell us why.

Shops like Tesco are really stupid for letting these guys in because it would really turn you off shopping there when you are getting hassled to take up services of other companies.

Its either Airtricity, Sky or pixiphotos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

lolli wrote: »

Complain to the anchor retailer. Complain and do it often. Point out how many of your family, friends and colleagues shop there and feel hassled by these people. If one person can cause 4-5 others to shop elsewhere- that could easily be 2-3k a month gone elsewhere, and if 1 person is being hassled, you can be certain others feel similarly. If you can point out just how this is going to hurt the bottom line- you may be surprised. Some branches of Superquinn and at least one Dunnes have already accepted this sort of customer power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

lolli wrote: »
    Airtricity are in Tesco near me at the moment. They guy stopped us yesterday (we were in a hurry to get my sister from school) We told him No thanks. He then started questioning us why. My mam told him we were happy with the ESB. He didn't even really tell us we'd be saving anything he just kept saying oh you'd be better with airtricity.

My Gran lives with my mam so she gets her free units on her esb bill, they are automatically deducted. With Airtricty the units arent automatically deducted, you have to pay then bill then wait for them to refund you the free unit money. My mother tried to explain to this guy that she didn't want all the hassle. He wasn't having any of it. We just started walking away and he was still shouting after us about how we'd be better off moving to Airtricity but he still didnt tell us why.

Shops like Tesco are really stupid for letting these guys in because it would really turn you off shopping there when you are getting hassled to take up services of other companies.

yup we had them in our tesco for what seemed like 6mth solid. and every single time i went in there i was hassled. i pick my mate up from work there too so i am in there a lot. and i am always like leave me alone i am not interested and they just keep hasslin me, then when i am walking back out the door they do it again.

one week our tesco let the airtricity lot be there, and people collecting for charity, and i'd say they got NOTHING. cos they probably couldn't get a word in, and people would have just legged it from airtricity and not seen the charity people.

we don't get pixifoto too often down our way and they have never once approached me.

as to sky, they are there sometimes, but they don't really bother to actively ask you anything, just as well considering how i feel about sky at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A guy called to the door on Friday night with his Airtricity sales pitch. Said I wasn't interested, but he wouldn't let it go.

... but all your neighbours have it ....
    ... but you'll save three squillion percent compared to Bord Gais ...

It got to the stage where I said "Sorry, I'm not interested" and had to close the door with him standing there. Pushy bastard. If he's like that with me, I'd hate to see what he's like with vulnerable old people, just to get a commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Another airtricity attack at 10:30 this saturday morning...buzzer goes and as the missus was in work i got up figuring she had forgot her key or something..

Sorry for disturbing you its not an emergency, im hoping to talk to you about airtricty....click..back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

well 7pm on wednesday and just had another airtricity caller to the door. says to me i am here to save you money on your gas and electric like your neighbours. do you have either. i say i have both esb and bord gais but you can't help me. why not he says. cos i have prepayment meters for both and you don't do them. oh no we don't he says. sorry. do all your neighbours have them then? i don't know i say but i do. ok he says and leaves. he has been one of the politest in forever but still. AIRTRICITY AGAIN :mad:

Like i said its not actually Airtricity that are calling its someone from PMD Marketing or Hmp Direct or what ever the f*^% they call themselfs theres days. The thing with them also is Airtricity don't know whos with them already or not where as Board Gais do, thats why if you'd already with Airtricity they keep calling to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

As a matter of fact im not, however a friend of mine works for Airtricty(not in sales) so im sure he knows a whole lot more about it then you do. Also they are not Scottish and Southern Energy they are owned by them theres a bit of a difference there.

Board Gais dont produce there electricity last time i looked they were a gas compnay not an electricity company.

But since your such an expert on the subject i wont say anymore because im sure it'll be all wrong

You know I always wondered how Airtricity produced Gas from wind turbines? Can your friend help me out?

Sugarfree wrote: »
    You know I always wondered how Airtricity produced Gas from wind turbines? Can your friend help me out?

:D exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 felixthecat

I'm lucky enough to constantly be asked if my "mum or dad" are home.
    I always feel that extra bit of smugness when I say "no", to the inevitable request of their E.T.A. and I get to say that they don't live there and they've permanently lost a sale. Although, that goes for all door to door sales that say that!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭hardcore

My door bell rang the last day with 2 young chaps outside and offering Airtricity. I switched straight away although I was unsure about giving them my account number but it seemed legit. I switched both Gas and electricity to Airtricity. My current account has not been raided yet anyway :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Sugarfree wrote: »

the produce green electricity, and provide a gas service through bord gais, they piggyback off the esb networks to provide power and feed the esb grid with green energy from their turbine...

it's not that difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

it's not that difficult
    Sarcasm detector broken? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

the produce green electricity, and provide a gas service through bord gais, they piggyback off the esb networks to provide power and feed the esb grid with green energy from their turbine...

it's not that difficult

OMG!!! Are you for real?

How can you tell if the electricity is green. I can't see ours. Looked in sockets but - nothing!

Is piggybacking on ESB Networks not dangerous? Some of those networks carry over 110,000 volts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

it's not that difficult

And how do they produce electricity when there is no wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

And how do they produce electricity when there is no wind?

Thats very easy, they get all the Airtricity sales people together and all the hot air they spew out heats a boiler which turns a turbine which etc etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

the produce green electricity,

While they might produce more green electricity than ESB or Bord Gais, no where near 100% of their electricity is green

While they might produce more green electricity than ESB or Bord Gais, no where near 100% of their electricity is green

No one is saying they produce 100% green electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

sendit wrote: »

Some of the posts in this thread have been saying they more or less do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

sendit wrote: »

it's not that difficult

Melek is saying that they produce green electricity.

He is not saying they produce a % of green electricity and the rest is made up from power stations the same as Bord Gáis and ESB

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I just signed up with them in Tesco in Midleton.

A very nice young couple had a stand there. Very easy to switch and hassle free seemingly.
    He even gave me his mobile to ring up ESB and get my MS-whatever number. That's all they needed and my DD details. They take care of everything. All in all I'm happy to be on airtricity for the green energy malarky and whatnot.

I just hope I'll also notice some savings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement