Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Out! Airtricity about....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

elgriff wrote: »
    Anyone said no to me (or any of the people i worked with), I just said thanks for your time.

You're clearly (and unfortunately) in the minority there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Another one of these twats at my door tonight. Think I need to get a Rottweiler or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

No matter who calls to my door peddling services I tell them that I'm already signed up with them.

Recently I told a Sky rep that he had actually signed me up a few weeks before. He looked a bit puzzled, said thanks then ticked my address off his list and left :)

I find that Airtricity reps are the worst.
    About 2 months ago I had the same fella call to my door 6 times in 4 days (Monday twice, Tuesday once, Thursday twice & Friday once).

Then there are the ones who think than mocking you will entice you to sign up with them ... "Loike you must be really stuuupid not to sign up with this deal"
    Or the guilt ones "Whats wrong with you, dont you want to save the planet"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I don't have that problem as I have an intercom on my door! "No thank you" and hang up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

I worked for one of those marketing companies on behalf of Airtricity last year. I left because I didn't agree with their "strategy" of selling.
    I heve been told to ring and ask for ESB bill for example and just though, hey I would never show my Bills to a stranger at the door! There are a few other examples tho.

We have been allocated a houses to work off our list but had not other information so I don't think the salespeople can tell who is with ESB, BG or Airtricity.

What made things really hard was that Airtricity had so many marketing companies and teams working the area, there was no communication whatsoever and I can understand that people get pissed of if the Doorbell rings every hour because team 1 didn't know team 2 was there a already.

I found most people where quite nice, if they were not interested I just said thanks for your time and left....yes I am probably a bad Sales person :-)

I don't agree with some of the replies here, there is no need to be abusive to the salespeople, they just do their job. I was fortunate enough to have a nicer job but many people have no choice. Most of them are commission only so no sale no food on the table so they have to be persuasive... no need to be pushy tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

dubbie82 wrote: »
    I worked for one of those marketing companies on behalf of Airtricity last year. I left because I didn't agree with their "strategy" of selling.
    I heve been told to ring and ask for ESB bill for example and just though, hey I would never show my Bills to a stranger at the door! There are a few other examples tho.

We have been allocated a houses to work off our list but had not other information so I don't think the salespeople can tell who is with ESB, BG or Airtricity.

What made things really hard was that Airtricity had so many marketing companies and teams working the area, there was no communication whatsoever and I can understand that people get pissed of if the Doorbell rings every hour because team 1 didn't know team 2 was there a already.

I found most people where quite nice, if they were not interested I just said thanks for your time and left....yes I am probably a bad Sales person :-)

I don't agree with some of the replies here, there is no need to be abusive to the salespeople, they just do their job. I was fortunate enough to have a nicer job but many people have no choice. Most of them are commission only so no sale no food on the table so they have to be persuasive... no need to be pushy tho.

there is a need to be abusive when they out and out lie, misrepresent 10% of gas bill and 10% of electricity bill as 20% total savings (its 10% you idiots, 10% of x + 10% of Y = 10% of (x+y). Not 20.

Also most of them dont take no for an answer. Its fine for people like me (i previously worked in the industry), however older people may not be as wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

robust wrote: »
    Wait till yous here this; over the last few months Airtricity sales reps have called at my door 3 times.
    1st time….It was a young guy and after my rejection, he left with a very sad look on him (I felt sorry for him) No Problem

2nd time…A young girl with a young guy called. The girl gave me the “special offer for my area” talk. But after I said “no thank you” she told me she “just couldn’t under stand why I did not want to save money”…After I said no thank you 4 times I asked her to leave….(heres the good bit)…She said as soon as I give her the account No. from my ESB bill she would leave….I refused….She then turned to the young chap and started laughing out load and said to him “do you hear your man”, Then the two off then left laughing away…I wasn’t laughing.

Theres more…..

3rd time…The other night at about 8ish a girl called at the door from Airtricity. My wife answered and received the same story. She politely declined. She was asked did she want to save 20% off her Esb and gas bill. That if we signed up for 1 year we would get 10% of electricity and 10% off our gas..But hold on my wife said that’s not 20% that’s 10%! No no she said 20%.. So we used the example::
    Gas bill €100 with 10% off = €10 Elect bill €100 with 10% off= €10
    Total bill saving €20 from €200 = 10% …RIGHT ?..No… she still insisted it was 20%.
    She said she couldn’t understand how we didn’t want to save. (As it turns out we signed up board gas under a similar deal) but we didn’t tell her that…
    And by the way she was rude.

I was just thinking is this legal or is this not offering a deal under false pretence , I mean can sales reps just say anything to get you to sign up?
    What if you where maybe elderly or perhaps not quick enough to cop on to this ?
    pain in the neck the lot of dem they called to me 5 times last week had to run them the quy said to me im just calling to see if u got your 2 free weeks electricity i said dont want it and looked him in the eye and kept stering at him tbh i think i freaked him out and then i said good bye !! havent called since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

With sales people, unless I am genuinely interested its either, oh Im already with you guys or sorry I dont own the house I only rent it! Always works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Max Power1 wrote: »
    there is a need to be abusive when they out and out lie, misrepresent 10% of gas bill and 10% of electricity bill as 20% total savings (its 10% you idiots, 10% of x + 10% of Y = 10% of (x+y). Not 20.

Also most of them dont take no for an answer. Its fine for people like me (i previously worked in the industry), however older people may not be as wise.

Got this too (in the last week I've have 2 twats at the door and 2 on the phone). Picked up phone and was asked whether I wanted to save "30%" on my gas + elec........ Of course when you ask the twats if their standing charges are higher the BS really starts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 daravinny

ask then where they get the electricity from, when the wind does not blow.

For months, wind generation has substantially underperformed, do they have enough generation to fulfill the contacts, only they know. What they do in this situation is buy electricity at cost price from the ESB, bord gais and other real generators. Why do the ESb do this? because the regulator makes them to further the 'green agenda'. What happens when there is still a loss encoured in these situation? ESB customers pay subsidies to protect wind generation.

So, in my opinion and I would love to be contradicted by facts, wind generation is dreadfully unreliable(when the wind does not blow, no electricity is generated) and therefor can only exist as long as the ESB is shackled its customers are paying subsidies. This will stop as soon as The ESB have lost a certain % of their customer base, I think the figure is 30% but I could be corrected. At this time, the ESB will be able to contest the prices , the green will be out of government and wind generation will slip back down the hole it came from.

The ESb also plans to move into the gas market some time in the new year, so then, they too will be offering a double deal on elec and gas.

So, bottom line, when these idoits knock on your dooe, ask them where they get the power from when the wind does not blow, and then ask them how can they offer a discount on ESB electricity when they actually have to buy the same stuff themselves.

after that, its a question as to whether you buy into subsidised money losers or not.

http://www.eirgrid.com/operations/systemperformancedata/windgeneration/
    here is a link to total wind generation on the grid, currently less then 200MW, which is shocking levels of performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

They called to me last night. Sent them on their way. And they they've been around my estate all afternoon today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

The other night at about 8ish a girl called at the door from Airtricity. My wife answered and received the same story. She politely declined. She was asked did she want to save 20% off her Esb and gas bill. That if we signed up for 1 year we would get 10% of electricity and 10% off our gas..But hold on my wife said that’s not 20% that’s 10%! No no she said 20%.. So we used the example::
    Total bill saving €20 from €200 = 10% …RIGHT ?..No… she still insisted it was 20%.

I had this 10%-20% conversation with a person from Airtricity too when they came to my door. They were saying I would save 20% as I would get 10% off my gas bill and 10% off my electricity so I would be saving 20%. I explained to her how I would need to be getting 20% off both gas and electricity to save 20%. She says "Are you a mathematician or something?"!!

They have a tough job so I am always polite with them, and they have to be persistent to get anywhere.

If they are rude or over persistent then just shut the door in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

The two strategies that have worked for me are :

1. I just switched last month, thanks.
    Dont tell them who to, just that I've switched, they all know the contracts lock you in for 12 months so you're not going to switch again and leave.

2. 'Sorry, I can't talk now, the cat is on the boil' and close the door. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

elgriff wrote: »
    The worst kind of person to deal with was people who would stand and chat/listen for ten minutes and have no intention of changing! .
    I do this :)

(usually after my "no thanks" after the first 5 seconds was ignored)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weemammy

I used to do work myself, although in Holland.
    Even though I can honestly say I have NEVER told a lie at the door, I can't believe I used to do this work!
    Today again a guy from Airtricity, the exact same pitch I've used so many times myself, only in English.
    I wanted to cut his story short and save him the bother, so I told him, Look I'm grand where I am, I don't want to switch..and he cut me off!!
    He goes, yeah, that's why I'm here, I'm making sure that for you and all your neighbours, everything stays the same, only on a lower rate.
    So I went: Look, I know what you're doing, you're here on a saturday afternoon, in the pissing rain, desperately trying to sell me something I don't want, besides, I know you haven't signed up all my neighbours as I've seen you walking around all day, not being invited in by anyone, so please...
    Then he started to name all the people around the green I live that he 'signed up'.
    I said, I don't care that they want one bill from ESB for all the service and maintenance and then another one for the supply, I Do NOT want it!!!!!
    and he just walked off, completely pissed off.

I always try to be nice, because I know what a hard and spirit crushing job it is, but this lad was taking the micky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

weemammy wrote: »
    I said, I don't care that they want one bill from ESB for all the service and maintenance and then another one for the supply, I Do NOT want it!!!!!

Just to clarify. You do not get a bill from ESB for anything if you switch. It is a single bill from the supplier. I'm not with Airtricity but we need to ensure you do not mislead people.

Just to clarify. You do not get a bill from ESB for anything if you switch. It is a single bill from the supplier. I'm not with Airtricity but we need to ensure you do not mislead people.

LOL Kara Damp Hairpin! you DO get a bill from ESB for the maintenance of all the pipes that are being used. Do you honestly think that if you switch, Airticity suddenly comes out to fix any defects with the network?
    Or that ESB just does the service and maintenance for free?
    And what exactly do you mean with 'misleading people'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when someone comes to my door and tells me I have to sign for something to keep everything exactly the same, and that all my other neighbours are doing it, I think the person MISLEADING, is the salesguy, but it was probably you,a dn don't worry, I've put in a complaint already.

LOL Srameen! you DO get a bill from ESB for the maintenance of all the pipes that are being used. Do you honestly think that if you switch, Airticity suddenly comes out to fix any defects with the network?.

You do not get a bill from ESB if you are with a supplier other than ESB Customer Supply. The other suppliers pay a DUOS (Distribution Use of System Charge) that pays ESB for the use of the Distribution and Transmission system and for meter reading. It is in your unit and standing charge from your supplier. ESB Networks, who look after the cables and wires side of the business, does not bill any customers for their service.
    ESB Networks restores supply during faults, and handles outages, irrespective of what supplier the customer is with. The ESB Networks technicians don't even know which supplier the customers involved are with.
    You really need to update yourself on the split of the Irish Electricity
    Market before you make public statements like that.

Oh, and I work with ESB Networks if that makes any difference.

That's interesting...especially because he admitted that you get two bills if you switch to Airtricity.
    Besides that, I think I can make whatever statement I want, it's a forum right?
    I was mislead, not the other way around.
    So if I've got a fact wrong, that's only human and you're more than welcome to correct me, but please don't call it misleading, ok?

Oh, and I don't really care who you work for, if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That's interesting...especially because he admitted that you get two bills if you switch to Airtricity.
    weemammy wrote:

Hmm, it seems to me that you were the one floating the two bills idea...

Within reason, yes. But you will be called on incorrect information, just like you were.
    So if I've got a fact wrong, that's only human and you're more than welcome to correct me, but please don't call it misleading, ok?

It's been corrected, and your post was misleading - deliberate or not is a different story.

It wasn't mentioned because you care, it was mentioned to back up the fact that the poster knew what they were talking about as they're directly involved with one of the companies supposedly sending out bills.

Now, back on topic.... *swooosh*

I really do hate these door to door sellers. I'm with Airtricity and have been called upon about 5 times now by people selling it to me. The most recent tactic is to ask who we get our ESB and Gas from before showing any credentials or a clipboard or anything. The day I say Airtricity and it's a Bord Gais rep I'll shut the door, no time for that malarky

• Advertisement

I was mislead, not the other way around.

I'm sorry you seem to be taking this the wrong way.

You published incorrect information (and it doesn't matter where you got it from). I corrected it least it mislead people when deciding on their electricity suppler. What is wrong with that.
    I said where I work to prevcent you accusing me of having any vested interest in Airtricity and to show that i know what I'm talking about.

Why so aggressive to a correction and statement of fact?

Incorrect information is misleading so I can't see what your gripe is with it being corrected.

You're right, my reaction was a bit over the top, sorry for that :)
    It was very early in the morning.
    Ofcourse, when I have a fact wrong, it's a good thing someone tells me what's what.
    The thing I didn't like was that you accused me of misleading, while all I did was stating what I said to that salesguy, and he confirmed that, he told me, and I quote:
    Yes you get two seperate bills, but most people find that if it's cheaper, it's worth it.
    Misleading is always intentionally putting someone on the wrong foot, and that is exactly what some, not all, but some of these salespeople do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes you get two seperate bills
    FFS! you don't.

ALRIGHT!! Did you read that I wrote that HE said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Wait till yous here this; over the last few months Airtricity sales reps have called at my door 3 times.
    1st time….It was a young guy and after my rejection, he left with a very sad look on him (I felt sorry for him) No Problem

2nd time…A young girl with a young guy called. The girl gave me the “special offer for my area” talk. But after I said “no thank you” she told me she “just couldn’t under stand why I did not want to save money”…After I said no thank you 4 times I asked her to leave….(heres the good bit)…She said as soon as I give her the account No. from my ESB bill she would leave….I refused….She then turned to the young chap and started laughing out load and said to him “do you hear your man”, Then the two off then left laughing away…I wasn’t laughing.

Theres more…..

3rd time…The other night at about 8ish a girl called at the door from Airtricity. My wife answered and received the same story. She politely declined. She was asked did she want to save 20% off her Esb and gas bill. That if we signed up for 1 year we would get 10% of electricity and 10% off our gas..But hold on my wife said that’s not 20% that’s 10%! No no she said 20%.. So we used the example::
    She said she couldn’t understand how we didn’t want to save. (As it turns out we signed up board gas under a similar deal) but we didn’t tell her that…
    And by the way she was rude.

I was just thinking is this legal or is this not offering a deal under false pretence , I mean can sales reps just say anything to get you to sign up?
    What if you where maybe elderly or perhaps not quick enough to cop on to this ?
    that amazing. there must be a '3 times rule' and even a gender rule.

the second time girl /boy combo and she came out with an outrageous line - 'we're here to check that your not using too much electricity' - thankfully the guy had an airtricity form in his hands or i might have given them more time than my 2 second rule.

but if that was an elderly person....

last time two guy - i'd seen them from a distance, they got one second and i guess i had a look in my eye, cos they practically ran down the path. he he

So, fore those who don't get what I mean:
    I made the statement about the double bill to the salesguy (I do now realise how wrong I was)
    He then confirmed this by saying that you do get two seperate bills, and before someone loses it, That was HIM saying that.

So to clearify this for once and hopefully for all, I understand you do not receive a bill from ESB for the Network when you start using another company to supply you.

Very sorry for misleading people

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

This evening, 2 people rang at my door and asked me would I like to have 13% discount on my ESB bill. I stupidly gave them my latest bill and they read the meter. Then they took my phone number, address and date of birth. After that, they asked for my bank account number. I realised something is wrong. I told I am going to think about it and ring them later. They gave me Airtricity leaflets and left their mobile number so I can call.

I am so worried it is some kind of spam - they now have my ESB bill number, address, phon number and date of birth. What I should do, should I ring ESB to change my bill number? Or am I overreacting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sandra_b wrote: »
    This evening, 2 people rang at my door and asked me would I like to have 13% discount on my ESB bill. I stupidly gave them my latest bill and they read the meter. Then they took my phone number, address and date of birth. After that, they asked for my bank account number I realised something is wrong I told I am going to think about it and ring them later. They gave me some Airtricity leaflets and left their mobile number so I can call.

I am so worried it is some kind of spam - they now have my ESB bill and date of birth. What I should do, should I ring ESB to change my number? Or am I overreacting?
    they may try to switch your account over to airtricity and would succeed with the information they would have got off your esb bill such as the account number, but as long as you did not sign anything and did not agree to switch you will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I am worried it is some kind of identity theft. They have my name, address, date of birth and ESB number. At the end they asked for my bank account number. That is when I became paranoid.
    Can they do anything illegal with data they have?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have enough to switch you now. <SNIP>
    You will most likely get a letter from Airtricity demanding €300 for a deposit in the next few days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement