Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    What exactly does this mean maquiladora?

It means he's clutching at straws posting NAE charts!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looks like a downgrade on the 12Z UKMO too....

deja_vu_cover.jpg

Still looks strong enough though, not surprised this is being downgraded, have seen these potential storms ramped up and always to end up being nothing special

10110800_0512.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What exactly does this mean maquiladora?

Means that there is still some disagreement between the models on the shape of the low at 48 hours. So nothing set in stone yet. :)

Rougies wrote: »
    It means he's clutching at straws posting NAE charts!

Nah, the NAE is a good model! Clutching at straws would be posting the WMC... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Means that there is still some disagreement between the models on the shape of the low at 48 hours. So nothing set in stone yet. :)

Hehe ok i'll take your word for it:) I like when people still cling onto the hope:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

"Storm" beginning to enter into hi res territory now. Latest HIRLAM windspeed forecast for 19hrs Sunday as front approaches:

133817.png

blustery conditions setting in over the west with gales just off the NW coast. The main blast of wind is still to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

rainsitpoursp1.gif

this is for sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Want a laugh? Then read this, from the front of the Evening Herald.....
    HURRICANE ON THE WAY

Batten down the hatches - a hurricane is on the way.

The capital was on major flood alert today as forecasters warned of heavy rain and winds of up to 100kmh.

Walls of sandbags were erected along the Clontarf seafront in Dublin as the country prepared for a battering from near hurricane-force winds.

Met Eireann forecaster Gerald Fleming said today that the storm originated from the Caribbean are where Hurricane Tomas is currently causing major alerts.

He said that Ireland will be hit by the storm which "began to spawn yesterday. It's moved up the east coast of the US and is bringing rain to parts of New England.

Where did they get the idea that this was a hurricane???

Then they have another article on "another storm like the one threatening Dublin" ie. Tomas. How can it be in two places at the same time?

Shame on you Alan O'Keefe, Conor Feehan and Cormac Murphy, for the worst journalism I have ever seen.

Thankfully the Herald have seen fit to remove all reference to a hurricane here on their latest online article.

*facepalm*

Shockingly sloppy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

any see it on the 6 one news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Yes saw the 6 News they had Jean Byrne on and she was pretty up front that this storm could cause major flooding, the West is going to see the worst of this storm according to Jean with the East at risk sometime on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Su Campu wrote: »
    Want a laugh? Then read this, from the front of the Evening Herald.....

Where did they get the idea that this was a hurricane???

Then they have another article on "another storm like the one threatening Dublin" ie. Tomas. How can it be in two places at the same time?

Shame on you Alan O'Keefe, Conor Feehan and Cormac Murphy, for the worst journalism I have ever seen.

Thankfull the Herald have seen fit to remove all reference to a hurricane here on their latest online article.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Somebody has obviously forgotten to recalibrate the sensationalometer for the conversion to km/h. If the winds were going to be 100mph there might be some sort of excuse for this headline. Maybe we should send these boyos out on a raft into the Atlantic preferably heading in the direction of the Carribbean so they can do some first hand research into what a real hurricane is.

That said I still wouldn't be mountain climbing or fishing from rocks during the storm. It does unfortunately look like not being good in terms of coastal tides and surges, and unfortunately it may be a catastrophy for some people with property or businesses along the coast or beside flood prone rivers:(.

The most cringe-worthy comment I heard was from Will Leahy on 2fm this evening. He called this coming weekend "hurricane weekend" in Deejay stylie. Nearly put my foot through the radio when he said it.

A well presented forecast there from Jean. Looks like the ECM wants to take the centre of the low a bit further to the west than was previously forecast. Start of a more westward trend to the track I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think that after all's said and done it'll have gone down weatherwise as nothing more than a few hours of strong, but not overly strong, winds and a passing band of heavy rain, which won't hang around long enough to cause much flooding inland. Take away the high tides and low pressure and this wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. The chances are that by Monday it will have filled quicker than the models are showing, so the east coast may get off lighter than we think.

I think that after all's said and done it'll have gone down weatherwise as nothing more than a few hours of strong, but not overly strong, winds and a passing band of heavy rain, which won't hang around long enough to cause much flooding inland. Take away the high tides and low pressure and this wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. The chances are that by Monday it will have filled quicker than the models are showing, so the east coast may get off lighter than we think.

I agree. Getting that sort of inevitable feeling now too. Hopefully the flooding wont be too bad & at least people in at risk areas have time to prepare as best as possible.

It seems we just cant get a good windstorm here anymore...

A well presented forecast there from Jean. Looks like the ECM wants to take the centre of the low a bit further to the west than was previously forecast. Start of a more westward trend to the track I wonder?

Yep, nothing major on the way on tonight's ECM:

anim_b7217efa-9a99-20b4-b5cb-8766b3627615.gif

the colder air on the back of the low could scoop some heavy showers along the east coast later monday and into tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

*facepalm*

Shockingly sloppy journalism.

Friday afternoon story..... long lunch, few scoops, make something up quickly !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Friday afternoon story..... long lunch, few scoops, make something up quickly !!! :D

A scoop too many in that case...

Ah lads ye're killing me here! I thought Jean Byrnes forecast on the Six One news looked pretty promising?

• Advertisement

Ah lads ye're killing me here! I thought Jean Byrnes forecast on the Six One news looked pretty promising?

Jean was very (and rightfully) cautious about how this developing system might affect us. She spoke of possibility rather than probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its all going to be boring, cant believe the eye of the storm is going to pass right over us. Oh well.

snaps wrote: »
    Its all going to be boring, cant believe the eye of the storm is going to pass right over us. Oh well.

:( Ah well we'll just have to wait for that major snowstorm that's gonna come our way anyday now....just you wait....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

what's most concerning about all of this is, irrespective of wind strength, any rainfall will be adding to our already saturated ground. I would be worried that we could see some serious flooding this month if the rain continues to fall. Over 100mm fell in Ennis between Oct 26 and Nov 3 for example. So far this month 75mm has fallen in Shannon.

The soil has already reached saturation point so any rain that falls will sit on the ground or flow straight into already swollen rivers/streams. The fear is that a period of intense rainfall could overwhelm our rivers and tributaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

holy hell just seen them wind charts,
    looks like we here are in for a right bashing.

anybody give us a run down on times and wind expect for me here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    what's most concerning about all of this is, irrespective of wind strength, any rainfall will be adding to our already saturated ground. I would be worried that we could see some serious flooding this month if the rain continues to fall. Over 100mm fell in Ennis between Oct 26 and Nov 3 for example. So far this month 75mm has fallen in Shannon.

The soil has already reached saturation point so any rain that falls will sit on the ground or flow straight into already swollen rivers/streams. The fear is that a period of intense rainfall could overwhelm our rivers and tributaries.

What was posted earlier was from well drained soil . . .whats more worrying is the poorly drained and moderately drained soil moisture deficits . .

smd_pd.gif

smd_md.gif

I think the moderate one is the most accurate, as the well drained and poorly drained seem to be a bit rounded off . .

Based on the latest GFS you could see sustained winds up to around 80kmph but gusts up to around 100kmph Monday morning.

But this thing hasnt even developed yet so by the time Monday comes around you might just have a wet breezey day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Take a look at xcweather.co.uk, gives a 3-hourly wind forecast for the next few days. The early hours of Monday morning look very nasty for you at this point, but the timing and wind speeds will probably chop and change between now and then.

fax72s.gif

Light winds for Ireland, Wales and the south of England there. Strong winds only out at sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Based on the latest GFS you could see sustained winds up to around 80kmph but gusts up to around 100kmph Monday morning.

But this thing hasnt even developed yet so by the time Monday comes around you might just have a wet breezey day!

thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement