Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

one for the memory bank alright Leahyl , I remember hiding down the back of the house with My then Girlfriend now wife !as the front window which is quite large was bending from the force of the wind and my car windows smashed outside with the rain flying through it ,Xmas dinner I will always remember as we got together and concocted a cold plate of prawns ,smoked salmon etc we were glad to have it I can tell U ,happy Days !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not wrote: »
    UKMO for a start 'gusts of 55 - 60 mph'. That does not seem like a violent storm to me. If it was a sustained windspeed, that would be different.

yes, it seems its track is the only interesting feature of this storm for those of us inland. the gusts from it, even when it move away towards France, won't be anything like what we experienced in 1989, 1992 and 1997.
    as you say a major winter storm is one that gives gusts of in excess of 70 mph inland, with gusts close to 95- 100 mph at Belmullet or Malin Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

chipsdave wrote: »
    one for the memory bank alright Leahyl , I remember hiding down the back of the house with My then Girlfriend now wife !as the front window which is quite large was bending from the force of the wind and my car windows smashed outside with the rain flying through it ,Xmas dinner I will always remember as we got together and concocted a cold plate of prawns ,smoked salmon etc we were glad to have it I can tell U ,happy Days !!!:)

I bet it was the best Christmas you ever had though was it?! Loads of people i knew said it was despite the fact that they had no electricity they just lit candles and sat around telling jokes and stories and they said it was lovely! We had electricity though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

yes, it seems its track is the only interesting feature of this storm for those of us inland. the gusts from it, even when it move away towards France, won't be anything like what we experienced in 1989, 1992 and 1997.
    as you say a major winter storm is one that gives gusts of in excess of 70 mph inland, with gusts close to 95- 100 mph at Belmullet or Malin Head.

Yep I agree. I do think its worth keeping an eye on though because if we end up with a storm that wobbles further to the east and keeps a tighter core than the models show then we would end up with a storm like the ones you've mentioned there. There is potential there for something really interesting if it doesn't play out exactly like the models are showing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

best Xmas Day without a doubt Leahyl and all because We had to make do with what We had and there was a great sense of togetherness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I d also like to say i like the activity on here 2day

75 (17 members & 58 guests) . Looking forward to the snowy forecasts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah. All us lurkers come out of the woodwork Ian :)

irish1967 wrote: »

+1:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

On the storm surge issue for western coastal areas, the storm surge warning for the Shannon Estuary is estimated at 400mm on Sunday into Monday. This will result in a serious flood risk for low lying estuary areas in west limerick and Clare, especially where embankments are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Dreading these high winds as our house is exposed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The talk of 90kmph mean windspeeds is only for sea areas - over land, these will be greatly reduced, to around 40-50kph, as you can see in the charts WolfIre posted earlier. Gusts to over 100kph are possible over land though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

irish1967 wrote: »

+1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

YE THE NOT SO LOYAL TO THE FORUM PEOPLE! haha

Sligo County Council has issued a severe weather warning to the public for this weekend.

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2010/11/05/council-issue-weather-warning/

Clare County Council has also

Weather Alert For Clare

Clare County Council is urging home and business owners throughout the county, particularly those in low lying coastal areas, to take precautionary steps in view of Met Eireann’s weather advisory for this weekend.

Coastal locations in the west and east of Ireland are expected to be affected by heavy rainfall, tidal surges and severe gales on Sunday night and Monday.

Clare County Council, in conjunction with the Emergency Services, says it is progressing contingency arrangements in terms of additional pumping capacity and other flood alleviation measures.

The Council confirmed that river levels have increased significantly over the past week, and arrangements are in place to continuously monitor the situation over the weekend.

While river levels currently are not a cause for concern, land, home and business owners along with motorists are being urged to exercise increased vigilance concerning the potential for localised flooding.

Flooding advice is available on www.flooding.ie. Information included on the website includes advice on identifying flooding risks, protecting property against flooding, necessary steps to be taken if a property is flooded, and assessing and repairing property damaged by flooding.

the latest GFS shows the centre of this low system again directly over the country keeping the set up pretty much the same

12Z GFS is a downgrade. Bigger flabby core, winds a little weaker, less intense rainfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

12Z GFS is a downgrade. Bigger flabby core, winds a little weaker, less intense rainfall.

....and what did I say in a thread last week about getting our hopes up too far out???!!! :rolleyes:

Disappointing:( Although i know the majority of the population prob don't want this kind of weather!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

There could well be some snow from this system on high ground on Sunday night - something else to watch.

Also your gonna feel that Easterly wind when it comes in on Monday!

UW96-21.GIF?05-17

• Advertisement

From Met Eireann:

"Potential Severe Weather
    A deep low pressure centre is expected to move down across Ireland during Sunday night, clearing away slowly during Monday. This weather system has the potential to bring some severe weather to Ireland.
    Rainfall totals are likely to reach 25mm - 30mm in places during Sunday and Monday. While not excessive, this rain may lead to some localised flooding on roads.
    The strongest winds associated with this weather system are likely to be well to the west of Ireland; however if the track of the low pressure is further east than currently expected, then these very strong winds may possibly affect our west coast.
    The principal dangers from this weather system will be due to very high seas off the southwest and west coast (waves approaching 9m) and coastal flooding due to a combination of high tides, very low pressure, storm surge and onshore winds. The danger period extends through Sunday night and, for the east coast, much of Monday also."

storm surge remains a concern particularly for western coastal areas.

as you said yourself Maq, this system's final positioning and makeup will not come clearer until closer to the time. It will all change again next run.

Although for storm lovers, the difference between the 12z to 6z is a bit like this
    fail-bike-umbrella.jpg

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    storm surge remains a concern particularly for western coastal areas.

as you said yourself Maq, this system's final positioning and makeup will not come clearer until closer to the time. It will all change again next run.

Although for storm lovers, the difference between the 12z to 6z is a bit like this
    fail-bike-umbrella.jpg

Ok not sure i'd like that to happen to myself:eek:! But i'd happily sit by the sitting room window watching this happen! Is that mean?:P

Looks like a downgrade on the 12Z UKMO too....

deja_vu_cover.jpg

Looks like a downgrade on the 12Z UKMO too....

deja_vu_cover.jpg

Great choice of picture:D mmmm...

Buts lets cross the fingers that it is upgraded again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

leahyl wrote: »
    Disappointing:( Although i know the majority of the population prob don't want this kind of weather!

Yeah, I must admit that when it comes to storms I'm with the majority of the population. Prefer to watch these hitting somewhere else thank you very much. Snow on the other hand..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Just got an email from them. The usual stuff for locals. Storm surge low lying areas better take precautions.

Yeah, I must admit that when it comes to storms I'm with the majority of the population. Prefer to watch these hitting somewhere else thank you very much. Snow on the other hand..........

Oh well sure EVERYONE loves snow!:D

12Z NAE at 48 hours has a less flabby core than the GFS.

2czrqzn.gif

• Advertisement

12Z NAE at 48 hours has a less flabby core than the GFS.

2czrqzn.gif

What exactly does this mean maquiladora?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement