Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Slog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

31.36Km in 4:16:00 (8:10 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

32 laps = 19.44 miles. Another lap would have brought up the 20 mile mark but the last 2 laps were the hardest 2 Km I have ever run in my life. The legs were sore, the mind wanted to stop and the rest of me had left some time before.

I kept running the whole time, pausing only to pick up/drop off my water bottle. I hydrated every 5 laps, carrying the water for a lap, then dropping it off next time around. I was able to get a decent amount of water on board, to the extent that I didn’t want to take any more each time. After about 4 laps I was wanting to drink again. I stopped to pee twice and according to the “pee colour” test I was adequately hydrated. It was warm when I started but as the sun went down it cooled down a bit which was a relief.

The distance/times above are an estimate. As luck would have it, I had considered every possibility except the Garmin running out of juice. It must have been on inside my bag as when I powered it on I got the low battery message straight away. It only lasted about 6 minutes before it gave up the ghost. I had bottles of water, isotonic sports drink, snickers, mars bars and mini jelly babies but no Garmin. Anticipating that it wouldn’t last the course I placed 7 pebbles on the tailgate of the car and discarded one each time I picked up my water bottle. I only had to count to 5 each time rather than trying to count to 32 with the risk of losing count somewhere along the way, and I wasn’t going to start again. In the end I only took water and enjoyed the rest while waiting for some feeling to return to my legs.

Longest Distance Ever covered. Hydration strategy seems solid. Have another 2 runs of this distance to do before the taper so will use them to reinforce the pacing/hydrating pattern.

Total this Week: 59,62Km
    Total this Month: 39.44Km
    Total this Year: 1,200.82Km
    Runs this Week: 4
    Runs 132 out of 247 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.71
    Average distance per week: 33.14Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

:eek: Well done Mcs. That took some mental as well as physical endurance! And no stops at all. Fair play!

6.20Km in 48:38 (7:51 min/Km) around Ballivor

Legs, particularly calves, were a bit tetchy after yesterday. The two hours strolling around the stables this afternoon didn’t exactly add to it, either. A good recovery pace run. Rest day tomorrow then an easy week with the long run only 13 miles (did I just say that? Since when did runs of 13 miles become a SLSR i.e. a short long slow run) :eek:

Total this Week: 65.82Km
    Total this Month: 45.64Km
    Total this Year: 1,207.02Km
    Runs this Week: 5
    Runs 133 out of 248 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.75
    Average distance per week: 34.06Km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Fair play MCS - that was one tough LSR to get done. Laps are hard mentally, especially 32 of them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Great mental strength (and improvisation!). Who needs electronics?!
    You're preparation is going great. If it was going to be easy, it wouldn't feel so special afterwards. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

9.42Km in 1:05:49 (6:59 min/Km) around Trim

Plan A at last!! This always seems to be the hardest run of the week. Granted for the past while it has been the 4th of 4 runs in a row. Still, done now. Schedule called for 8Km. I got lost trying out a new route so ended up with 9.42Km.

How could you get lost in Trim?!?! :confused::confused: I run round Trim too. Perhaps we've passed eachother. Though I run so late, unless you're smoking outside a pub, probly not

marrona wrote: »
    How could you get lost in Trim?!?! :confused::confused:

Quite easily:D:D Ran up a dead end in one of the industrial estates and had to retrace my steps:rolleyes:

marrona wrote: »
    I run round Trim too. Perhaps we've passed eachother. Though I run so late, unless you're smoking outside a pub, probly not

If I'm running in Trim its generally at lunchtime. Since I "lost" my running buddy at work I find it harder to motivate myself to go out and end up running at stupid o'clock at home:o

10.10Km in 1:10:48 (7:00 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

In the first major deviation from the schedule I abandoned the idea of doing 10K on Monday as I was still feeling tired from Friday. I’m doing the 5 Mile in Bohermeen on Sunday and have brought forward the LSR (a mere 21Km) to Wednesday, with an easy 8Km on Friday, rest on Saturday, race on Sunday then back on plan from Monday.

Total this Week: 10.10Km
    Total this Month: 55.74Km
    Total this Year: 1,217.12Km
    Runs this Week: 1
    Runs 134 out of 251 days (53%)

18.82Km in 2:25:00 (7:42 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Went out a bit too quick at the start on this run and just wasn’t at the races mentally to do the full 21Km scheduled. Found myself projecting on to the finish, which is always the kiss of death for me. :( As an excuse though (we runners seem to have more excuses than an F1 Driver :o ) it was my wedding anniversary and my other ¾ did have a nice dinner awaiting me at home. :)

Total this Week: 28.92Km
    Total this Month: 74.56Km
    Total this Year: 1,235.94Km
    Runs this Week: 2
    Runs 135 out of 252 days (53%)

8.37Km in 1:00:29 (7:13 min/Km) around Ballivor

Nice easy run, just keeping the mileage ticking over. 5 Mile race on Sunday so no great exertion taking place.

Total this Week: 37.29Km
    Total this Month: 82.93Km
    Total this Year: 1,244.31Km
    Runs this Week: 3
    Runs 136 out of 254 days (53%)

• Advertisement

Race Report

8.10Km in 48:12 (5:57 min/Km) Bohermeen AC Rennick’s Cup 5 Mile Road Race, Bohermeen, Co. Meath

A cool breezy day dawned over Chez MCS. After a detailed meteorological analysis (i.e. peering out from behind the curtains) conditions were deemed sufficiently favourable for running. Out of the pit, breakfast down, heavy lifting done, and out the door to Bohermeen. One of the advantages of the Meath races is that they are all within half an hour drive so very accessible.

Parked up at Race HQ, number collected and made myself ready.

Lined up and off at 2pm. The first mile and a bit are pretty much all downhill, apart from a rise over the new M3. The course then doubles back over the motorway and begins to get more testing. I may have been giving it a bit too much welly as I passed through 5K in what would be a new PB if this were a 5K race. The fourth Mile is a long uphill drag, up to the highest point on the course, and then dips down again into the village of Bohermeen to finish on the track at the Community Centre.

Turning into the track the clock first came into view. Expecting to see 5X:XX I was shocked to see it had only just turned 48:00, so turning up the afterburners I stormed through the finish line. A new PB by nearly 2 minutes, 48:12 down from 50:08.

A nice feed afterwards in the hall, a t-shirt and a PB, all for €15.00 – cracking value.

Total this Week: 45.39Km
    Total this Month: 91.03Km
    Total this Year: 1,252.41Km
    Runs 137 out of 256 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 4.22
    Average distance per week: 38.61Km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done you!! The big miles are starting to pay off on the shorter distances now. Just out of nosiness what would the 5k pb have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

brilliant stuff, sound like all the training and long runs are paying off now!

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done you!! The big miles are starting to pay off on the shorter distances now. Just out of nosiness what would the 5k pb have been?

29:14 from 29:17 (March 2008). But I'm not claiming it. If it had been a 5K race I would have been running so much faster than that. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well done your having a great year this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The marathon training is obviously having a great effect - so you'll have to do it again next year :D

RayCun wrote: »
    The marathon training is obviously having a great effect - so you'll have to do it again next year :D

Yep, 5 Mile target for this year achieved. :D:D Not so sure about next year though. I do find myself gazing wistfully at other marathon threads though. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep, 5 Mile target for this year I do find myself gazing wistfully at other marathon threads though. :o
    Those feelings do pass with time, I've nearly registered for 2-3 marathon in the past year but managed to seek help and avoide them for now. Still have 2 more marathons to do myself but not in a hurry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done MCS, great feeling to have a new pb in the bag there so enjoy it.

Are you sure you don't want to sign up for Barcelona?????

shazkea wrote: »
    Well done MCS, great feeling to have a new pb in the bag there so enjoy it.

Are you sure you don't want to sign up for Barcelona?????

Last time I answered a question like that I was out on a window ledge and Littlebug only let me back in when I had signed up to DCM :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your 5mile PB. :)
    Also reading through your log, can't imagine how you do so many laps in your training. Incredible mental stamina, I hate if I have to run on the same part of a road twice on any run.

5.97Km in 41:32 (6:57 min/Km) around Ballivor

I didn’t get out of the Office early enough to run before dinner so sat the whole evening looking outside at the wind and rain. Call me mad, but I was itching to get out.

Got out eventually at 11pm and just enjoyed the conditions around me; the wind; the rain; the deserted streets and just the overall sense of freedom. It must be the hangover from the PB. No doubt I’ll be back to normal tomorrow.

Total this Week: 5.97Km
    Total this Month: 97.00Km
    Total this Year: 1,258.38Km
    Runs 138 out of 257 days (53%)

10.24Km in 1:12:59 (7:08 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Handy run. Just chugging along, getting in the miles/kilometres.

Total this Week: 16.21Km
    Total this Month: 107.24Km
    Total this Year: 1,268.62Km
    Runs 139 out of 258 days (53%)

27.14Km in 3:47:09 (8:22 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Found this run a lot harder mentally than the 31Km I did two weeks ago. I was feeling physically stronger though. One more run of this length in two weeks time.

Bailed on the 10K run on Wednesday, and the recovery run on Saturday. I’ve been keeping relatively unsocial hours lately and it is beginning to affect my training. So off to bed earlier for MCS for the next several weeks.

Total this Week: 43.35Km
    Total this Month: 134.38Km
    Total this Year: 1,295.76Km
    Runs 140 out of 261 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 4.18
    Average distance per week: 38.76Km

10.19Km in 1:10:22 (6:54 min/Km) around Ballivor

Legs were a bit stiff from a day of throwing javelins, raking pits and bending down a zabillion times at an under 11 high jump, all at Navan T&F Sports yesterday. They eased up a bit as the run progressed.

Didn’t mean to go out that fast but it felt easy enough and I had no reason to consult the great god Garmin until I got back to the house.

Total this Week: 10.19Km
    Total this Month: 144.57Km
    Total this Year: 1,305.95Km
    Runs 141 out of 264 days (53%)

21.56Km in 2:38:40 (7:22 min/Km) Club Grounds, Frayne, Athboy

Took on the LSR earlier in the week to allow for some recovery in advance of the Star of the Sea Cross Country next Sunday. Felt strong and focused throughout. Pace is slower than PMP but slightly faster than ideal LSR pace.

Total this Week: 31.75Km
    Total this Month: 166.13Km
    Total this Year: 1,327.51Km
    Runs 142 out of 267 days (53%)

9.71Km in 1:11:57 (7:25 min/Km) Royal Canal, Longwood, Co. Meath

Had a sudden rush of blood to the head and got out of bed early on Saturday morning. Lovely easy run along the banks of the canal. Made a very welcome change from the orbits of Frayne.

Nobody about except for the odd angler. Took it handy enough, just clocking up the kilometres, race tomorrow.

Total this Week: 41.46Km
    Total this Month: 175.84Km
    Total this Year: 1,337.22Km
    Runs 143 out of 269 days (53%)

Race Report

6.24Km in 40:37 (6:30 min/Km) Star of the Sea Cross Country, Stamullen, Co. Meath

This is a great event. The course is 4 laps of a 1,500m course, with 2 significant hills. Race started at 1.25pm, following a full program of juvenile races and a separate women’s race. I had previously run this course at the Meath Novice and Masters Cross Country last year. This year the course was marginally longer (6.24Km versus 6.08Km) but I still finished about 2 minutes quicker. The real difference was in how I managed the inclines. There was no lack of puff; the limiting factor was the burning pain in my calves. Last year this run was a drudge, this year almost a pleasure. I almost made it around without being lapped by the whole field. A special word of thanks goes to my County Chairman who ensured, with a devilish final sprint, that that honour would have to wait for another year.

The highlight of the day was Mary Meade’s homemade scones after the event. There was even some left when I had finished.

Total this Week: 47.70Km
    Total this Month: 182.08Km
    Total this Year: 1,343.46Km
    Runs 144 out of 270 days (53%)

Average runs per week: 3.74
    Average distance per week: 34.95Km

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

homemade scones after the event
    /needs to do some Meath races! :eek::D

• Advertisement

/needs to do some Meath races! :eek::D

Far be it for me to be seen to favour one race over another, but for those dependent on public transport the Dunboyne 4 Mile on the last Sunday in March is held during the day, with a Dublin Bus service on its doorstep.....

Advertisement