Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iSpy has done it again! Let's compare the Roma to parasites ...

Options
  • 20-09-2010 4:12pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭

Apparently Ian O'Doherty sees nothing wrong with Sarkozy's expulsion of the Roma people, as he said: "France repatriates unproductive, unemployed and parasitic people to their own country." That's all he did.

Now, I know a lot of people aren't too fond of the Roma people - I myself don't love 'em or hate 'em - but ya think this quote is a bit much for a column section in one of our national broadsheets? I find myself hating this fat gobsh!te more and more as I read his articles (although they are entertaining, sometimes!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

He's dead right..

Next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just to get this out of the way early, Roma is not the same as Romanian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

He's completely right for fúcks sake.

Time to call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Undoubtedly someone will mention dole scoungers...in before that happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

http://www.answers.com/topic/parasite

1. Biology. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
    1. One who habitually takes advantage of the generosity of others without making any useful return.
    2. One who lives off and flatters the rich; a sycophant.
    3. A professional dinner guest, especially in ancient Greece.

noun

One who depends on another for support without reciprocating: bloodsucker, hanger-on, leech, sponge. Slang freeloader. See dependence/independence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sykk wrote: »
    He's dead right..

Next

Of course he is. I blame the romanians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I read it whenever I'm in the 'home place' as my ma reads it.

Ian O'Doherty would appear to be Kevin Myers lite. Minus the classics references and verbiage.

He's a controversialist. And an apologist for quasi-totalitarian regimes such as Israel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Should of putt that in the other thread on misused words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Morlar wrote: »

1. Biology. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
    1. One who habitually takes advantage of the generosity of others without making any useful return.

noun

One who depends on another for support without reciprocating: bloodsucker, hanger-on, leech, sponge. Slang freeloader. See dependence/independence.

Funny, I looked up "Irish Independent columnist" and got the same definition.

Wherever the Roma are sent, can they bring O'Doherty, His Holiness Quinn & Myarse with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i like the fat bastard, truth be told

• Advertisement

If a roma comes from Romania does that make then Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I dunno....the Roma maybe getting singled out here as a group...but if you're an illegal immigrant surely you can't complain when you're kicked out of the country just enforcing the law really. I'm slightly biased as I hold no love for Roma gypsies....I doubt that many people do.

Morlar wrote: »

noun

Pretty accurate assessment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

I know they're unproductive and unemployed but he probably wouldn't say that about one certain nationality who are known to not work and claim social welfare. Or would he? Maybe he would actually ...

I just think the term "parasitic" is a bit much; it's like he's trying to say these people are like a bug or something on. Wouldn't say I'm sympathetic towards these people but I do kinda feel sorry for the kids who grow up in that environment. And before anyone comments: no, I'm not a do-gooder hippy. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

What have the romanians ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I was at a Romanian restaurant (amazing food btw) and the owner was romanian, I was outside having a smoke with him and Roma people came up, the man was spitting when he spoke of them. He said how would the Irish feel if the world thought all Irish were the same as Irish travellers, I could see his point.:(

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I dunno....the Roma maybe getting singled out here as a group...but if you're an illegal immigrant surely you can't complain when you're kicked out of the country just enforcing the law really. I'm slightly biased as I hold no love for Roma gypsies....I doubt that many people do.

They're not in France illegally as Romania and Bulgaria are members of the EU - free movement of people, capital and goods. So really it was illegal for him to kick them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Basically Roma are like our travelers except about 5 times as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    They're not in France illegally as Romania and Bulgaria are members of the EU - free movement of people, capital and goods. So really it was illegal for him to kick them out.

shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Im normally very liberal but Roma just take the piss. IOD is still a twat though.

• Advertisement

Sheeps wrote: »
    shut up

Why is that now?

Im normally very liberal but Roma just take the piss. IOD is still a twat though.

Agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Conor OH!

He's exactly right, and pretty much on point with most things he says in his column.

do we not WANT opinion in our newspapers???? surely the whole point of reading news is to be able to understand things from many points of view, and not just slate it when you disagree?

it's not racist, and it's not hateful towards them at all.

he's merely proving a point with a bit of colourful language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Wrong there Ted.

http://www.euractiv.com/en/socialeurope/free-movement-labour-eu-27/article-129648#
    1 Jan. 2014: All labour restrictions to be lifted within the EU 27.

Until 2014, there is not free movement for the 2 newest states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I will make sure to take your opinions in to consideration next time I'm stepping over the roma begging for change on the inner city streets of Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm tired of explaining that to people but the message isn't sinking in with some or they are conveniently ignoring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I read it whenever I'm in the 'home place' as my ma reads it.

Ian O'Doherty would appear to be Kevin Myers lite. Minus the classics references and verbiage.

He's a controversialist. And an apologist for quasi-totalitarian regimes such as Israel.

Yep.

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm tired of explaining that to people but the message isn't sinking in with some or they are conveniently ignoring it.

Yeah they're not necessarily Romanian, but I've heard a large number of them have lived in Romania and Bulgaria for several generations? I could be wrong there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yeah they're not necessarily Romanian, but I've heard a large number of them have lived in Romania and Bulgaria for several generations? I could be wrong there.
    Case in point! :o
    Some still don't get it!

Let me A.B.C. it for you.

Roma = Cultural and ethnic traditional classification across borders.
    Romanians = A group of people defined by an actual land border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Conor OH! wrote: »
    it's not racist, and it's not hateful towards them at all.

you see, this is the weird thing when talking about this kinda stuff (and I mean absolutely no offence conor)..

but have you met a roma that you have liked, respected or you felt wouldnt rob/beg from you? i haven't...and the sad thing about society is this makes me a racist. is it my fault that the 'race' has a tendency to lean toward the criminal?

Advertisement