Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iSpy has done it again! Let's compare the Roma to parasites ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

whatever it was, it was lost in the abusive nature of your post.

ive total support for morlar. your response to the original point was to simply call a spanish person a spic on the street (completely different from the context of the use of the word we were discussing), and that was a childish suggestion imo. so he's justified in his post.

so no need to start throwing the abusive label around

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Can anyone say they've had a positive experience with this particular group?

most in here dont need a good experience - they know that everybody 'who done bad' was just not given the chances the rest of us had:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

what i care about is my freedom to live in a country where a sensationalist newspaper commentator can say what he pleases and people like you shut up about it and realise this is a free country, with freedom of speach. y

Are you being sarcastic? As free speech is a 2 way street, and people don't have to shut up about anything, otherwise free speech doesn't really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Can anyone say they've had a positive experience with this particular group?

Not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

i dont care how you would decide to be derogartory about the chinese or anybody else.

what i care about is my freedom to live in a country where a sensationalist newspaper commentator can say what he pleases and people like you shut up about it and realise this is a free country, with freedom of speach.

you (and the spanish) have a freedom to find it distasteful - but i couldn't give a s'hit what you think. same as i couldn't give a s'hit when some right wing commentator in the UK calls the irish paddies. i'm grown up enough to know he can say what he wants - you should try it, it's liberating not feeling like you've to defend every little minority (and useless) cause you come across

So the columnist should be free to use terms such as that, but those critical of him should shut up? how is that a demonstration of free speech?

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic? As free speech is a 2 way street, and people don't have to shut up about anything, otherwise free speech doesn't really work.

i'll give you that - bad choice of words.

i just dont feel he should be persecuted by the easily offended like billy, nodin et al. however, i'll be the first to say they're entitled to their opinion.

So the columnist should be free to use terms such as that, but those critical of him should shut up? how is that a demonstration of free speech?

it's been said already...

but one use of the word 'spic' and you guys are up in arms. i'm only saying theres more useful causes than that

i'll give you that - bad choice of words.

i just dont feel he should be persecuted by the easily offended like billy, nodin et al. however, i'll be the first to say they're entitled to their opinion.

I fail to see the persecution personally, and personally if your going to say anything, people will disagree and if you say something that is nasty, then you should expect the same aimed in there own direction.

I fail to see the persecution personally, and personally if your going to say anything, people will disagree and if you say something that is nasty, then you should expect the same aimed in there own direction.

by his own standards then...we just need to call him fat ignorant dub and be done with it.

it's the debate about his 'nasty words' that annoys me. let him on

by his own standards then...we just need to call him fat ignorant dub and be done with it.

it's the debate about his 'nasty words' that annoys me. let him on

The stuff he says is surely fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

- you should try it, it's liberating not feeling like you've to defend every little minority (and useless) cause you come across

That's what keeps them going Biff.

The more obscure and obtuse the cause the more involved they get.

And if it involves the US or Israel they really get their rocks off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ive total support for morlar. your response to the original point was to simply call a spanish person a spic on the street (completely different from the context of the use of the word we were discussing), and that was a childish suggestion imo. so he's justified in his post.

so no need to start throwing the abusive label around

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

If he thinks it is OK to use a derogatory term for a spannish person then why doesn't he use it to someone from spain.

There is a difference however, if you were to use that word on the street, the number of people that would hear it would be in single digits. the way O'Doherty used it, thousands will see it.

I accused him of being abusive because he was abusive.

That's what keeps them going Biff.

The more obscure and obtuse the cause the more involved they get.

And if it involves the US or Israel they really get their rocks off.;)

I could say the exact same about the perpetually offended Anti-PC types, who are even more offended than the people they complain about, to the point where they even make stuff up to be offended by. They will even defend anything and everything just to annoy the "lefties" and "hippies".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    Apparently Ian O'Doherty sees nothing wrong with Sarkozy's expulsion of the Roma people, as he said: "France repatriates unproductive, unemployed and parasitic people to their own country." That's all he did.

Now, I know a lot of people aren't too fond of the Roma people - I myself don't love 'em or hate 'em - but ya think this quote is a bit much for a column section in one of our national broadsheets? I find myself hating this fat gobsh!te more and more as I read his articles (although they are entertaining, sometimes!).

a parasite is something that survives by living off another living thing, if a person roma or otherwise survives solely on the charity / begging / generosity of other people they are parasitic. distastefull or not it is true.

as far as i am aware it is illegal to beg, any foreign national who is found to be breaking our laws should be immediately deported imo. especially in the current climate. i wouldnt even give them the 200 quid the french are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I could say the exact same about the perpetually offended Anti-PC types, who are even more offended than the people they complain about, to the point where they even make stuff up to be offended by. They will even defend anything and everything just to annoy the "lefties" and "hippies".

people being offended on other peoples behalves really really gets to me, if it offends them so much they have the same ability as you to vocalise it

What about the 'crusties'?

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

If he thinks it is OK to use a derogatory term for a spannish person then why doesn't he use it to someone from spain.

There is a difference however, if you were to use that word on the street, the number of people that would hear it would be in single digits. the way O'Doherty used it, thousands will see it.

I accused him of being abusive because he was abusive.

he is a sensationalist right wing commentator, his job is to stir the s'hit. he had a reason for being (almost comically) abusive. and lets not get hot and bothered about the strength of the word either - its not the same as n*gger...spic is a mildly derogatory term up there with hun, frog, bolshie etc imo.

walking up to a spanish person and shouting spic at them on the street is totally different. this would be common abuse and i would be looking for an actual physical confrontation. i would also not shout frog, chink or hun at people either...

Sure, them to.

Sure, them to.

Great, don't want them left out, would start a squat or a demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

i dont (.....)(and useless) cause you come across

You mean let bigotry pass unnoticed? No, I think not.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    You mean let bigotry pass unnoticed? No, I think not.

yes yes nodin. i'm very aware that you could not let the slightest incidence of bigotry pass unnoticed - we all are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

what i care about is my freedom to live in a country where a sensationalist newspaper commentator can say what he pleases and people like you shut up about it and realise this is a free country, with freedom of speach.

Is it just me, or....

dvpower wrote: »
    Is it just me, or....

been done a few times already...go back to skimming some other thread

yes yes nodin. i'm very aware that you could not let the slightest incidence of bigotry pass unnoticed - we all are

Bigotry is bad, right? Pointing it out is good, no?
    There's some topsy turvy thinking going on in this thread.:confused:

been done a few times already...go back to skimming some other thread

But I like this thread. It's got easy pickings:pac:

Bigotry is bad, right? Pointing it out is good, no?
    There's some topsy turvy thinking going on in this thread.:confused:

fighting tooth and nail so any article, opinion or viewpoint that can be infered as bigoted is never printed again is not good, no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Nice with a steaming bowl of soupie.

fighting tooth and nail so any article, opinion or viewpoint that can be infered as bigoted is never printed again is not good, no
    Have a quick look over this thread. The bigoted posts outnumber those pointing out the bigotry.

I think free speech is safe.

Have a quick look over this thread. The bigoted posts outnumber those pointing out the bigotry.

I think free speech is safe.

no. i wont

• Advertisement

no. i wont
    :confused:

Advertisement