Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Squiggler wrote: »
    Conor was one we did consider. Cillian or Killian I wouldn't be able to stomach, anyone by that name that I'm acquainted with would put me off, awful really.

But we have managed to find both girls and boys names that we both like, and have picked out Bun's potential names.

I know what you mean. I love the name Conor but I know I just couldn't stomach it because of some Conors I know :D

Good luck with the Bun!

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Some of the names suggested in this thread are horrific and would ruin any child. They are almost lifted from the back of detergent boxes.

I thought I'd stumbled across Boards.america or Boards.african-american.

Jaden is appalling - possibly the worst name ever coined.

Addison is the name of a serious gland disease, by the way. Have you met my son Leprosy and little Chlamydia?

I'd expect we'll have LaShawn, DeMarcus or Takeesha next. Irish people should not try to make their children into Beverley Hills 90210 or Boyz' in the Hood caricatures.

Thanks for having the balls to say what I wanted to say, but chickened out of.

You are so so right. Today's Addisons will be just like the poor children of the 80s who were condemned to being called Crystal etc. I'd hazard a guess that the parents of kids with these "names" consider the Beckhams to be the epitome of style, and aspire to Hello magazine lifestyles :p

There's a family in the West who have a Kiefer and a Keanu - the poor little mites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Addison is the name of a serious gland disease, by the way. Have you met my son Leprosy and little Chlamydia?

I'd expect we'll have LaShawn, DeMarcus or Takeesha next. Irish people should not try to make their children into Beverley Hills 90210 or Boyz' in the Hood caricatures.

WAH! Our little Jaden Krystian or LeFluffy Mysta will be so lucky to have such special names! :rolleyes:

Actually, maybe I'll move to the US and make a living coming up with unique names for poor unfortunates.

I like names that actually mean something and that have a history behind them.
    churchview wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I love the name Conor but I know I just couldn't stomach it because of some Conors I know :D

Good luck with the Bun!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Boys:
    Andrew
    Craig
    James
    Josh
    Matthew

Girls:
    Aisling
    Alesha
    Niamh
    Laura
    Sophie
    Shannon
    Sarah

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Some of the names suggested in this thread are horrific and would ruin any child. They are almost lifted from the back of detergent boxes.

I thought I'd stumbled across Boards.america or Boards.african-american.

At least some people have some sort of balls to call there child anything but the normal, John mike patrick james paul david andrew and so on time's move on where not in the 70-80 no more..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

elius wrote: »
    At least some people have some sort of balls to call there child anything but the normal, John mike patrick james paul david andrew and so on time's move on where not in the 70-80 no more..

I think I've hit a nerve here. How is little LaShawn?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

considering you think -
    Dirk Benedict (aka Face Man, aka Starbuck).

Luke Perry in the early 1990s.

is the coolest person ever, then i dont think your comments hold any weight tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Addison is the name of a serious gland disease, by the way.

The only objection I would have to these names is that they are extremely popular. The Junior infants' teachers are going to have an influx of them in 4 years' time.
    elius wrote: »

Yes, the parents have the balls. Should the child have to have the balls to deal with it? 'A Boy Named Sue' springs to mind.... I don't know if Moon Unit Zappa would agree:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd like to give my children names which mean something and reflect either his/her culture (as in an Irish name) or his/her family (I found an 'Isabella' in my husband's family's census record from 1901), rather than pop culture.

Actually, I don't think Roxy is that bad. Roxanne is an old name and the word 'poxy' isn't used in my neck of the woods.

kceire wrote: »
    considering you think -

is the coolest person ever, then i dont think your comments hold any weight tbh :rolleyes:

I have a Boards stalker!! Is that you shining headlights in my window at night?:)

deemark wrote: »

Yes, the parents have the balls. Should the child have to have the balls to deal with it? 'A Boy Named Sue' springs to mind.... I don't know if Moon Unit Zappa would agree:rolleyes:

Personally, I'd like to give my children names which mean something and reflect either his/her culture (as in an Irish name) or his/her family (I found an 'Isabella' in my husband's family's census record from 1901), rather than pop culture.

Exactly.

The chavtastic parents give their children ridiculous names, to the kudos of their equally "fashionable" friends, but it's the poor kids that have to live with the stigma of the ridiculous names for the rest of their lives.

• Advertisement

No no, What gives you the right to criticise?
    Iv'e a name not so well known and never was i bullied over it. Infact i get nothing but complements:o
    If a Parents want to call there child jayden let them. If you want to be like everyone else and call your child a name the hole nation use's do. As an parent you are given the right to call your child what ya want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a Boards stalker!! Is that you shining headlights in my window at night?:)

and here we have another boards Troll, is that you under the bridge near my house?

Exactly.

The chavtastic parents give their children ridiculous names, to the kudos of their equally "fashionable" friends, but it's the poor kids that have to live with the stigma of the ridiculous names for the rest of their lives.

But its only you that find them ridiculous! no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

ah live and let live I say.

Call your children what you like yourself and don't worry about what other people call their children.

No point in fighting about it. Not everyone likes the same names.

kceire wrote: »
    and here we have another boards Troll, is that you under the bridge near my house?

The joy of parenthood (and democracy and Boards.ie) is that you can name your baby as you choose.

My comments were just based on personal preference only. My twins' names are conventionally Biblical, as there's some fine examples in there. If Jaden is your favourite, go for it!

I was only kidding around about the "stalker" comment. Can't we be friends, kceire? Face Man and Luke Perry are coming around to sing Kumbaya under the bridge;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I agree that jayden is an awful name and in fact i sat on the couch LMAO at the list here with my dh the other night, there are some terrible names out there. but i have met a Tiger in Naas.
    We have not very usual names for our children, it was and was not a conscious choice. I read through a list and see the ones that are in the top 50 and i dont like the idea of the my child being 1 of 6 in the neighborhood. but also because we LOVED the names we used and really had only one for each gender on the list each time and the 'spare' will be used this time around. perhaps we do not have imaginations.
    The Avas of today are the Marys of the past and in 5/10 yrd time the name will be very old fashioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The joy of parenthood (and democracy and Boards.ie) is that you can name your baby as you choose.

My comments were just based on personal preference only. My twins' names are conventionally Biblical, as there's some fine examples in there. If Jaden is your favourite, go for it!

I was only kidding around about the "stalker" comment. Can't we be friends, kceire? Face Man and Luke Perry are coming around to sing Kumbaya under the bridge;)

Addison may be the name of a gland disease, but it is also a name, you know many popular names are used to name diseases, it's the person that discovered the disease that names them.

I named my daughter because I liked the name. I am not a chav. So what if it is a popular name, Rachel, Adam, Sean, Ciaran, Philip, Peter, James, Alison, Eva, Emma, Leah etc, they're all proper, popular names yet you do not rip those apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Squiggler wrote: »
    I've always liked traditional Irish names:
    Oisin, Fiachra, Fionn, Cian and Conor were boys names I considered
    Caoimhe, Orlaith and Aoibheen for girls

I'm not trying to be cheeky - but why are these names suddenly traditional irish names?

How many of our grandparents and great grandparents had names like this?

Traditional irish names are more like the Patricks and the Marys, the Josephs and the Margarets. "Good catholic names" if you will.

The 'traditional' irish names are very much a current fad, since the gaelic revival we have been made aware of these very old names and perhaps only in last 20-30 years have children actually been given these names.

I'm waiting for viking revival and we will see Olaf rising through the most popular name rankings.

Addison may be the name of a gland disease, but it is also a name, you know many popular names are used to name diseases, it's the person that discovered the disease that names them.

I named my daughter because I liked the name. I am not a chav. So what if it is a popular name, Rachel, Adam, Sean, Ciaran, Philip, Peter, James, Alison, Eva, Emma, Leah etc, they're all proper, popular names yet you do not rip those apart.

Not wanting to be personal, or hurtful, but one of the things that many find unusual about that name is that before Grey's Anatomy it was generally accepted as a male name, but since the show, it is suddenly being commonly used as a female name. To many (and I accept not you), it sounds very odd to have girls with a male name.

The etymology of the name is that it derives from Adam - "Addi" "son" - "Adam's" "son".

Little My wrote: »

The 'traditional' irish names are very much a current fad, since the gaelic revival we have been made aware of these very old names and perhaps only in last 20-30 years have children actually been given these names.

Absolute rubbish. Go to any Gaeltacht area and you'll find these names have been in common use for years. Granted, it's relatively lately that these names have again become popular in other areas outside the Gaeltacht.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

A lot of Irish names come from old Irish myths. (e.g. Fionn, Aoife, Niamh, Oisin) I would desribe that as pretty traditional.

I am not a chav. So what if it is a popular name, Rachel, Adam, Sean, Ciaran, Philip, Peter, James, Alison, Eva, Emma, Leah etc, they're all proper, popular names yet you do not rip those apart.[/QUOTE]

Hi Adrieanne (that's a lovely name by the way!!),

It was a subsequent poster (not me) who used the expression "chav". I didn't refer to the Class System in my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Not wanting to be personal, or hurtful, but one of the things that many find unusual about that name is that before Grey's Anatomy it was generally accepted as a male name, but since the show, it is suddenly being commonly used as a female name. To many (and I accept not you), it sounds very odd to have girls with a male name.

The etymology of the name is that it derives from Adam - "Addi" "son" - "Adam's" "son".

I am aware that it's primarily a male name, but it is also widely accepted as a female name. Many names are unisex Taylor, Ashley, Robyn/Robin, Chris (Christopher/Christina). I've even heard of people calling their female babies Charlie.
    Over the years the name Addison as somewhat fallen out of favor for boys but has come to be a popular and trendy name for girls. Based on statistics kept by the U.S. Social Security Administration, Addison as a girl's name was ranked as 800 out of 1000 in popularity in 1994. In 2006, the name had risen to 27th in popularity. For boys, use has held relatively steady. In 1994 it ranked as the 554th most popular name. In 2006 it ranked as 562nd. Common variations include Addy, Addie, Addeson, Adison, and Adisson.

I am also aware of what the name Addison is derived from. I didn't just name my daughter blindly because I like a character from a TV program.
    Hi Adrieanne (that's a lovely name by the way!!),

It was a subsequent poster (not me) who used the expression "chav". I didn't refer to the Class System in my posts.

Hi Jimbob! (Thank you by the way! I was never really a fan of it when I was younger but have grown to love it!!),

I'm sorry you thought I was aiming that at you, I was more aiming it at the thread in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Absolute rubbish. Go to any Gaeltacht area and you'll find these names have been in common use for years. Granted, it's relatively lately that these names have again become popular in other areas outside the Gaeltacht.

Use in a few isolated pockets around the country does not make them common names in previous generations. I can think of only one family friend over the age of 50 with an irish name, Finnoula.

And, yep, I know they crop up in Irish myths. By that rational Beowulf is a traditional english name.

I would still argue that the Patricks and Marys are much more traditional irish names than the irish language names currently in vogue. Its just that Patrick and Mary has become a bit oldfashioned for us at the mo. But these things go in cycles, so no doubt they will come round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Isnt it the rare and unusual names you remember first?

I was the one who loved the name Ariel, I was big into my disney princess films as a child and fell in love with the name, have remembered it ever since even more so as red heads run in not only my family but also my oh

to be honest I would have prefered to be call anything other then my current name as its quite obv where it came from,

Sharon late eighties? Im sure we all know!!

Something so simple as sharon and still to this day I get it when ever I meet someone new... ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

Isnt it the rare and unusual names you remember first?

Sharon late eighties? Im sure we all know!!

My name is rare enough and it was even more unusual when I was a child and in school in the 60's and 70's but I love my name and people do tend to remember you more when you've got an unusual name.

I didn't live in Ireland during most of the 80's and 90's and at first thought you were on about Sharon in Eastenders, Sharon is a very common name in the East End and Essex but now I think The Slapper is what you're refering to.

Little My wrote: »
    Traditional irish names are more like the Patricks and the Marys, the Josephs and the Margarets. "Good catholic names" if you will.

The 'traditional' irish names are very much a current fad, since the gaelic revival we have been made aware of these very old names and perhaps only in last 20-30 years have children actually been given these names
    watna wrote: »
    A lot of Irish names come from old Irish myths. (e.g. Fionn, Aoife, Niamh, Oisin) I would desribe that as pretty traditional.

I think the issue here is with the use of the word 'traditional'. If, by traditional, you mean having been used for decades, then yes, Margaret and Patrick are traditional names (even if they are common in other countries). However, if you mean cultural, then Fionn, Deirdre and Oisín are traditional names.

If it's a trend, then it's a welcome one in my opinion. Without trying to sound overly nationalistic, I think having a name that reflects your culture and your native language is great. We spent long enough adapting our culture to suit English norms, just look at our placenames!

deisemum wrote: »
    Sharon is a very common name in the East End and Essex but now I think The Slapper is what you're refering to.

Please tell me you meant 'The Snapper'!:pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anybody want to tell me whats happened over the last few pages? Am i now a bad person for naming my daughter Caoimhe? Its the only name me and her mother could agree with and was first mentioned when she was in the labour ward. We went through about 20 names first and we couldnt agree on any until i said Caoimhe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

But there are loads of boys names that have evolved over the years to be used as girls names and vice versa.

The etymology of names just isn't important to some people, I know that it wouldn't be important to me anyways. I'm sure that there are people out there who have named their son Addison without knowing or caring that it means "Adam's son", just because they liked the name.

For what it's worth, I think Addison is a gorgeous name for a girl, it's a really pretty, feminine-sounding name. Oh and I never watched Gray's Anatomy so I wouldn't associate it with that at all.

It's a long time yet until I have to think about baby names (hopefully!! :eek: ), but my favourites are Conor or Aidan for a boy, and Sadbh or Aoibhe for a girl. Will probably end up being talked into choosing different girls names when/if the time comes, ease of pronunciation etc, I think that they are both beautiful names though!

Advertisement