Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd agree with Caroline on putting the full name on the birth cert as it always gives your child the choice of using the full version. My OH wants to name a boy Charlie, but I would insist on putting either Cathal or Charles on the birth-cert, even if we do end up calling him Charlie.

Now, if picking a girl's name was so easy:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi i dont like kaya too many kayas as it is, dont like kyle either sorry they just not nice names in ireland, i pity kids with new names i would put james on the birth cert too my favourite would be sean spelled the irish way, laura is a lovely classic girls name, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

loller wrote: »
    hi i dont like kaya too many kayas as it is, dont like kyle either sorry they just not nice names in ireland, i pity kids with new names i would put james on the birth cert too my favourite would be sean spelled the irish way, laura is a lovely classic girls name, good luck

You say there's too many kayas then you give me a name like laura, I don't now any kayas yet i know 6 lauras off the top of my head. I'm going off kyle myself though to be honest, And i agree about the full name on the birth cert.

I usually would go for the irish spelling but i just prefer the english spelling of shaun not sure why just personal preference i suppose!

Thanks for all the good luck wishes. Still no sign of baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

baraca wrote: »
    You say there's too many kayas then you give me a name like laura, I don't now any kayas yet i know 6 lauras off the top of my head. I'm going off kyle myself though to be honest, And i agree about the full name on the birth cert.

I usually would go for the irish spelling but i just prefer the english spelling of shaun not sure why just personal preference i suppose!

Thanks for all the good luck wishes. Still no sign of baby!

A friend's name is Laura-anne and I think it is beautiful. As I said before pick what you guys really like and enjoy baby bundle when he/she arrives.

If I an ever blessed with a child I would call a girl Delia-pearl, I know a lot
    of people would not like it but the Delia part after a old lady called Delia who lived beside us when we were kids and was always so kind to us. She was really like our granny and I loved her to bits. She went into a home when I was 9 and died when I was 18. The pearl bit because it reminds me of my wonderful life with my husband, My engagement rine is a 1920 style cartier diamond and pearl ring- the most beautiful ring ever but I lost it Valentines weekend 2 years ago... so Pearl has wonderful memories for me. My husband also like the idea of calling her after someone I cared about and adding a name that has a lot of meaning to us.

If we had a little boy my husband would love to call him Calefin after a friend of his, not kean but whould be happy to go with it and use my dad name (Gerard) and husbands (james) as middle names.

Hopefully I will be picking names one day soon.

Sorry for the long ramble!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

I actually like the name kaya. Really dont like kyle!! hope baby arrives soon and best wishes!!

Also think its nice to have meaningfull names aswell both my girls names were because i liked them but their 2nd names mean something to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

If I an ever blessed with a child I would call a girl Delia-pearl,

I knew a girl who was called delia once and she was so embaressed she told everyone her name was Delta.:o

Kaya sounds like an american r&b singer or a dope fiend:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I really like Emily (Millie) or Jane for a girl
    Jay or Peter for a boy
    My fave names ever are Eve-Marie and Ryan :)

Dreamer 7 wrote: »
    I have chosen Eabha for a girl (Irish version of ava) and have agreed that my other half gets to choose a boys name :eek: Hopefully it won't be after a footballer !
    For a boy I like Adam, Fiachra, Ronan, Josh

I have a Nathan and megan already :)

I thought that Aoibhe was the irish for Ava..
    I quite like the names Emily (Millie) or Amera and am hoping for a girl :rolleyes:

Grawns wrote: »
    I knew a girl who was called delia once and she was so embaressed she told everyone her name was Delta.:o

Kaya sounds like an american r&b singer or a dope fiend:eek:

Kayla is nice. (Mikayla) I love the name Kayleigh or Katie but there already taken by members of my family :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If I have a boy it will be Jack and if it's a girl it's between...

Imogen,
    Teagan,
    Phoebe,
    Saoirse,
    Aoife.

We went for Saoirse in the end, well, Saoirse Lynn :)

• Advertisement

Bubbles09 wrote: »
    I thought that Aoibhe was the irish for Ava..
    I quite like the names Emily (Millie) or Amera and am hoping for a girl :rolleyes:

Éabha (ay-va) and Aoibhe (ee-va) are Irish spellings for Ava and Eva, there's no real Irish for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Hi , Just wondering does anyone know of a good Irish baby name book or a baby name book in General? theres so many!
    Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭peppapig24

Amber for a girl
    Callum for a boy :)

deemark wrote: »
    Éabha (ay-va) and Aoibhe (ee-va) are Irish spellings for Ava and Eva, there's no real Irish for them.

Ya thats right.
    Ive an Ava a guy i use work with as an Eabha pronounced the same way. A girl i know has an Aoibhe (ee-va).

I luv the name Amber at the moment think its my new fav girls name. Im not having any more kids though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

We went for Saoirse in the end, well, Saoirse Lynn :)

You robbed my babys name:D Congrats hun!!

My lil Saoirse is 10 weeks old now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hi all,

We don't know the sex of the baby yet but after considering every possible name ever invented, we have come up with a final list.

Hope someone can help us choose the best???...

Boy

1. Ombud
    2. Toshibu
    3. John
    4. Hoffman
    5. Cometine

Girl

1. Maggie
    2. Jetsa
    3. Nutmegan
    4. Sequoia
    5. Fruitiella

Not sure at the moment, our parents are edging towards Toshibu and Nutmegan but we are not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

What do people think of the name Ruby for a girl?

To common? I really like it and so does my OH.

Were not sure if its to out there so to speak.

I like it alot but its very common, i know about 5 rubys off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

lolli wrote: »
    You robbed my babys name:D Congrats hun!!

My lil Saoirse is 10 weeks old now :)

How is she now hun? You home from hospital and all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

We don't know the sex of the baby yet but after considering every possible name ever invented, we have come up with a final list.

Hope someone can help us choose the best???...

Boy

1. Ombud
    2. Toshibu
    3. John
    4. Hoffman
    5. Cometine

Girl

1. Maggie
    2. Jetsa
    3. Nutmegan
    4. Sequoia
    5. Fruitiella

Not sure at the moment, our parents are edging towards Toshibu and Nutmegan but we are not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

LOL:D

Your son would be a shoe-in for a job in the OMBUDsman's office, or your daughter Sequoia could be a tree surgeon!

Seriously though, even though you're being funny, there are a lot of kids who are being foisted with ridiculous names. It's not just about what a parent wants, but what a child has to live with while growing up, and as an adult.

We're going through the whole name choosing thing as well. Challenging to say the least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

How is she now hun? You home from hospital and all?

Shes doing great now thanks. She was christened yesterday. She has a check up friday week.

Hope you and yours are doing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goodgirl7279

can anyone tell me how realtain (possibly wrong spelling) meaning little star in irish is pronounced. love the meaning but just wondering does it sound a bit harsh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

can anyone tell me how realtain (possibly wrong spelling) meaning little star in irish is pronounced. love the meaning but just wondering does it sound a bit harsh?

My friend us called that, she pronounces it rail-teen. I think its lovely myself :)

It would be spelt Réiltín and I think it's gorgeous. It's pronounced as wolfpawnat said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭carrot_flowers

after 2 boys my wife is desperate for a girl and would call her Juliette- this is already non debatable- i have no say in the matter:P

That's crumbs mate, you should DEF. have a say in your baby's name. It should be a choice between both mum & dad in my opinion!

We are thinking about a few names for our little one, depending of course on its gender.

Girl:
    Katherine
    Teegan
    Sinead

Boy:
    Cillian
    Dougal
    Isadore

Leaning towards Teegan for a girl and Dougal for a boy (not just an awesome character, we really like the name). What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

why stick a child with one name ?,give them two a irish name and a none irish name ,that way when the child groes up she/he can use the name it likes better,p s i love the name anastasia

baraca wrote: »
    Girlfriend is due.. Well yesterday! Have kaya (Kai-a) picked out for a girl always loved that name what do you think?

Haven't a clue for a boy but we have kyle, shaun and jamie maybe, i think it'll be called Boy 1 for a few weeks lol

I don't know why everyone on here is so down on Kaya and Kyle. I have a friend named Kaja-pronounced the same as Kaya-it is a Norwegian name and I think a lovely one. I also really like the name Kyle, in fact that's my favourite of the boy names you've listed.

getz wrote: »
    why stick a child with one name ?,give them two a irish name and a none irish name ,that way when the child groes up she/he can use the name it likes better,p s i love the name anastasia

I was given two names at birth. My Dad called me by Anglo-Catholic version of the name and my mother called me by the Hebraic version-Dad is Irish and mum was Russian Jewish. I like that they gave me two names though. Different friends call me different names and I introduce myself to people as either one depending on my mood at the time :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I was given two names at birth. My Dad called me by Anglo-Catholic version of the name and my mother called me by the Hebraic version-Dad is Irish and mum was Russian Jewish. I like that they gave me two names though. Different friends call me different names and I introduce myself to people as either one depending on my mood at the time :p
    brilliant,lets start a give your baby two names campaign,

Advertisement