Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

deemark wrote: »
    +1 on this. You can put Elizabeth for example on everything and still have your daughter called Libby by everyone, in school etc. If, later in life, she decides to wants to sound more grown-up e.g. at work, she can go by the long version. If you just put the short version on the birth cert, she wouldn't have that option.

I completely understand where you are coming from on this, but I dont understand why people do this... I dont like the name Elizabeth, so I wouldnt want to call my daughter that, just because Libby is short for Elizabeth. Doesnt make any sense to me why I would give her one name and then call her a completely different name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I completely understand where you are coming from on this, but I dont understand why people do this... I dont like the name Elizabeth, so I wouldnt want to call my daughter that, just because Libby is short for Elizabeth. Doesnt make any sense to me why I would give her one name and then call her a completely different name!

It's the child that has to live with the name, not the parent. The child may want the option in the future, and the parent can provide that option in such a way as to still be able to use the version of the name (e.g. Libby), that they want to now use.

There's a division here in the way people name children which I find quite interesting. Some are saying everyone should call their children whatever they want - it's their right - the modern self-centered view. These poor mites can be named after housing estates, soap stars...whatever. Others acknowledge that with all rights come responsibilities, and they consider how the child will cope in the future with the name - for instance the "teagan parent" sensibly and sensitively wanted informed views and was considering what effect the name would have on the child. And then there are nutjobs who even if they're not entirely off the wall with their view of some names, resort to homophobia to get their point across - they're best banned as they add nothing to this discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

When names for my younger siblings were being considered my parents though long and hard, and discussed it with my brother and me, about the possible results of their name choices.

What nicknames might the kid be called at school? Would it be a good name for a grown man or woman (not just a baby)? What Pet names would we as a family use for them? Would their initials end up spelling something weird? Maybe they overthought it, but as a small child I remember appreciating the amount of effort they put in on behalf of baby sister and brother, knowing they had done the same for me.

Our baby won't be Christened, and won't be Baptised unless her or she choses to be as an adult, so we're going to give him or her 2 Christian names. We've chosen names that give plenty of choice when it comes to pet names because we know that while a baby in the womb might feel like a 'Sandy' or 'Lexy' the born baby or toddler might be more of an 'Alex' (using my sister's name as an example - her given name is Alexandra).

And although we know what pet names we are going to use, we're putting the full name on the birth certificate, because, as others have said, as a teenager or adult the child might appreciate the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jen-

I am nowhere near being pregnant amd dont intend on being for quite a while, But these are my names

Boys:

Rian (love it)!!
    Eamon
    James
    Aaron
    Simon
    Leo

Girls (not as many)
    Grace
    Kate
    Rosie

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Well now then it comes down to the fact if a parent choses a name for a child when its a full name or a abverated one if the child doesnt like it its not going to like it, I know I dont like my name but I dont think because of what its associated with (and its pretty big) that I would change it? Its the name my parents chose for me I know if I ever wanted I could change my name legally,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

My children are teenagers and I've just asked them if they like their names, phew they like them.

From the time we knew I was pregnant with each of them we spent the rest of the pregnancy deciding on names, did a lot of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

We have been asking our 2 about the names on our list and what they think or what names they like, even tho they are only nearly 4 and nearly 2. They have opinions tho. Then my little lad, nearly 4, told us the other day that the baby was called something like 'focktor' and that the baby told him his name was that. :eek: but this is the same child who called his sister Steven for the first 6/7 weeks of her life, knew her name just kept calling her Steven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MzFit

We have chosen a boy name.

明春 - Akiharu. Probably Aki for short.

It means "bright spring" or "next spring" (the season). The baby is due in springtime. The implication of the name is that this baby is a bright new dawn in our lives, the beginning of a whole new life for us, the light of our lives. And, by happy accident, his initials would be A.I., which is the Japanese word "ai" (愛) meaning love.

Call me crazy but I really have a strong feeling that this baby is a boy. I had that feeling very early on. We're itching to know but it's too early to tell yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Quick question if I may, what's general consensus about two letter first names? For example, Jo, Ty, Al etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

positron wrote: »
    Quick question if I may, what's general consensus about two letter first names? For example, Jo, Ty, Al etc.

Sound a bit daft on their own imho, but if short for Joanna, Tyrone etc, then they're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

positron wrote: »

Honestly most of those sorts of names come as a result of being called Alex, Joseph and the like. It is usually the parents that shorten them then. But if you like them, short and simple is always good. :)

Was thinking today to myself. I was thinking about how my sons name suits him, Aidan means "the fiery one" he was having a tantrum at the time. So I saw it as fitting. I was then thinking of my name. Natalie coming from Natale Domini, "The birthday of the Lord" aka Christmas. I was born in February!!!!

Does anyone else think their name makes no sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

ok so i might be pregnant, so of course I started researching.
    And of course I come here to have a peek.
    I've had baby names in my head for the past 2 years or so.

for a girl:
    Abigail (abby)
    Lucy
    Emma
    Emily

for a boy:
    ben
    and now that I read it here I like cillian, of course the BF wont like it at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MzFit

ok so i might be pregnant, so of course I started researching.
    And of course I come here to have a peek.
    I've had baby names in my head for the past 2 years or so.

for a girl:
    Abigail (abby)
    Lucy
    Emma
    Emily

for a boy:
    ben
    and now that I read it here I like cillian, of course the BF wont like it at all :)

Can't really go wrong with names like those - all classics, and very hard for people to misspell or mispronounce! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Talking of pronunciation, anyone ever hear of an Irish girls name Sadbh? and if so, how do you pronounce it?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Talking of pronunciation, anyone ever hear of an Irish girls name Sadbh? and if so, how do you pronounce it?

It is pronounced Sive. It is a beautiful name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I always thought it was stave without the t, s/are/ve

I always thought it was stave without the t, s/are/ve

Think that most be a different name, Sive is the way my sister's 2 friends pronounce it. They are both called that and live in a Ghaeltacht so I will take their word for it.

But as for Irish names in general, because of the different dialects in different areas of Ireland they usually have different pronunciations within each area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My lads are:

Samantha
    Ben (Benjamin)
    Ryan

Samantha could of been a Naomi, Elle, Ellie, Victoria, Alana (off the girl from tomorrow)

Ben was always Ben unless he was a girl and he would have been cady (cadence)

Ryan was Holly or Hollie as he was due just after Xmas (1st/3rd of Jan) we had no name for a boy until near his birth and it was Ryan.

I do however like cillian, kelan but we could not go with c's or k's as they do not suit the surname.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    It is pronounced Sive. It is a beautiful name :)

Beautiful indeed, but only if I can pronounce it correctly :)

Like a kitchen sieve? . . . . or like the garden Sythe?

992.jpg. . . 8047.jpg.thumb?w=150

neither. like save but with an i to rhyme with chive.

• Advertisement

Beautiful indeed, but only if I can pronounce it correctly :)

Sive like 5 with a S not a F :)

Many thanks for that peeps, hopefully I will remember the Chive/Five/Sythe rule next time I encounter the name. I suspect I won't be the last person to ask how its pronounced, same goes for Medb, Caoimhe, or any of those really strong Gaelic names.

Difficult spellings, but lovely names once you know how they sound.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    But as for Irish names in general, because of the different dialects in different areas of Ireland they usually have different pronunciations within each area :)

Sadhbh is one of the exceptions, where the dialect doesn't affect the pronunciation; it's always Five with an 'S'!

Article on most popular names in England and Wales recently:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/names1010.pdf

I'm always really interested in these lists. I'll use them for names to avoid for our next little one (well the top 20 anyway!).

I didn't think Oliver was that popular, wouldn't be too gone on it personally.

Deemark, http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ is deadly for showing popularity in ireland and other countries

lynski wrote: »
    Deemark, http://www.thinkbabynames.com/ is deadly for showing popularity in ireland and other countries

Ta lynski, I love that site too! My wee buck is only 5 months, I've already got a raised eyebrow from the other half for even reading the last article!!:D

well if you think he needs a sibling shure crack on!
    IMHO the closer in age the better and it could take ages to get pg. my 2 are 2 yrs apart not for the want of trying ;-)

Middle names, Yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Middle names, Yes or no?

Oh Yes!!!! middle names are great

Advertisement