Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

Not anywhere near using them but my top names would be

Girl:
    Lexie
    Grace
    Amielia
    Sofia

Boy:
    Lucas
    Jack (very comman but has family ties)
    James
    Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BlackForestJule

We've finally settled on a name: Mattis Rupert
    (Rupert is for my late dad who was always talking about grandchildren and didn't get to see his, and also, it reminds me of Rupert Everett - not a bad association :cool:)

Mattis is a character in an Astrid Lindgren novel (the dad in Ronia the Robber's Daughter). She's a children's author I adore and I just read that one of her middle names was Emilia, which is my daughter's name, so I'm pleased with the coincidence!

Do you think the think the name Mattis will work here? There are no alternatives, but I'm still interested in opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Do you think the think the name Mattis will work here? There are no alternatives, but I'm still interested in opinions.

I think Mattis is lovely. It's got your heritage in it and isn't difficult to pronounce or spell. Beware that people may call him Matt or Mattie though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would you consider Matthew which has the same hebrew meaning and origin as Mattis, but would be much easier when it comes to pronunciation etc?

***Sorry, I didn't notice deemark's reference to your heritage until now. Obviously if your heritage/family background is Swedish, then the Astrid Lindgren influence makes more sense than using Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

We've finally settled on a name: Mattis Rupert
    (Rupert is for my late dad who was always talking about grandchildren and didn't get to see his, and also, it reminds me of Rupert Everett - not a bad association :cool:)

Mattis is a character in an Astrid Lindgren novel (the dad in Ronia the Robber's Daughter). She's a children's author I adore and I just read that one of her middle names was Emilia, which is my daughter's name, so I'm pleased with the coincidence!

I think it is a lovely name and congrats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

We don't know the sex of the baby yet but after considering every possible name ever invented, we have come up with a final list.

Hope someone can help us choose the best???...

Boy

1. Ombud
    2. Toshibu
    3. John
    4. Hoffman
    5. Cometine

Girl

1. Maggie
    2. Jetsa
    3. Nutmegan
    4. Sequoia
    5. Fruitiella

Not sure at the moment, our parents are edging towards Toshibu and Nutmegan but we are not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

:D Can you imagine if you werent kidding on this!? Jesus some people really go with such ridiculous names! They give their children no chance at all!

I knew I was having a boy when I had my son who I called Nathan. I had his name picked out at about 6 months preggers.

I think if you like a name, you like it, I dont really get this whole "it doesnt suit" him lark, a baby is a baby, no?

If I have any more kids I dont know what I will call him or her! I regularly hear a name and think "oh thats a good name" and then forget it! But I love Ruby for a girl, its so sweet.
    Also the childs surname will have some say in your choice obviously. Some first names sound ridiculous when paired with the surname!!

yungwan wrote: »
    :D Can you imagine if you werent kidding on this!? Jesus some people really go with such ridiculous names! They give their children no chance at all!

I knew I was having a boy when I had my son who I called Nathan. I had his name picked out at about 6 months preggers.

I think if you like a name, you like it, I dont really get this whole "it doesnt suit" him lark, a baby is a baby, no?

If I have any more kids I dont know what I will call him or her! I regularly hear a name and think "oh thats a good name" and then forget it! But I love Ruby for a girl, its so sweet.
    Also the childs surname will have some say in your choice obviously. Some first names sound ridiculous when paired with the surname!!

Mozattack gave birth to Dara in early April. Somewhat less creative than she's suggested above, but at least Dara should survive the playground :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BlackForestJule

Thanks deemark and carolinespring!
    churchview wrote: »
    Would you consider Matthew which has the same hebrew meaning and origin as Mattis, but would be much easier when it comes to pronunciation etc?

***Sorry, I didn't notice deemark's reference to your heritage until now. Obviously if your heritage/family background is Swedish, then the Astrid Lindgren influence makes more sense than using Matthew

My family background is German (Astrid Lindgren books were merely my trusted friends throughout childhood), so Matthew would be too difficult to pronounce for my side of the family. The challenge was to find something that's easy for both sides and Mattis is used in the north of Germany, so it's not too far-fetched from that point.
    Also, Matthew's dosn't really grab me. It's in the same category as Thomas, not quite this coming generation maybe...

Thanks deemark and carolinespring!

My family background is German (Astrid Lindgren books were merely my trusted friends throughout childhood), so Matthew would be too difficult to pronounce for my side of the family. The challenge was to find something that's easy for both sides and Mattis is used in the north of Germany, so it's not too far-fetched from that point.
    Also, Matthew's dosn't really grab me. It's in the same category as Thomas, not quite this coming generation maybe...

Mattis seems perfect then! Easy for the Irish side to pronounce (who may struggle with [and correct me if I'm wrong] Matthias as more commonly used in Germany), and yet easy for the Germans as well. Sounds great - best of luck.

*Have to say, I think Thomas sounds lovely though. I'd shorten it to Tom in use probably. Same (kind of) as John and Jack - I can never understand how people register the name Jack when it's just a nickname for John. Sure, call the kid Jack and use that name, but for God's sake the real name is John, so register that name on the paperwork! Each to their own I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

yungwan wrote: »

I get the "it doesn't suit him/her" lark because it happened to me. I was all set to call my second daughter Phoebe, had the name picked from when I found out I was pregnant, even went as far as to tell everyone "yep, her name will be Phoebe."

So when I rang my family with the news that baby Saoirse had arrived they were all surprised and it took some getting used to because they had even started calling my bump Phoebe.

Truth is, she just didn't "look" like a Phoebe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

For a Footballer: Eunan

For a Tiny Dancer: Teagan

Be lovely to have twins named these..... :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

For a girl I have chosen Robyn, I love the name plus she will be born at Christmas time :)

For a boy I have Zilch, zero, nada.. Sweet FA :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

xzanti wrote: »
    For a girl I have chosen Robyn, I love the name plus she will be born at Christmas time :)

For a boy I have Zilch, zero, nada.. Sweet FA :o

We have loads of nice girls names (due in Jan) but are also finding it hard with boy ones. I don't want one too common and there seems to be less boys names overall they get too unusual very quickly.

We have loads of nice girls names (due in Jan) but are also finding it hard with boy ones. I don't want one too common and there seems to be less boys names overall they get too unusual very quickly.

Yep definately harder for the boys.. The few that I like are already 'taken' by friends etc.. I love Aaron but I know 2 girls who've named their baby Aaron in the past year alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I have started to think of names again!! Even though I have no plans to get pregnant again ... Well not in the immediate future.

Anyhow for a girl I really like Juliette And for a boy xander!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Going to start trying again soon. I'm still hoping for a Kathleen ( aka Kitty) I just love that name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

we are Polish-Irish couple and we think of double names, Polish and English/Irish
    some of them are:
    Girl:
    Ellie
    Colleen
    Pola (Polish name short form of Apolonia)
    Alina
    Kyle (I had a dream where baby said that to me :) )
    Milly
    Anika (Swedish)
    Maia (Maja in Polish)

Boys:
    Joshua
    Benjamin
    Jonathan
    Ethan
    Błażej (Blaze I think in English )
    Henry
    Aleksander (Polish version of Eng.Alexander)

still thinking, 3 days to go :)

Ok after some thought I've come up with the following:

Girls
    Robyn
    Ava
    Aoife
    Carla

Boys
    Andrew
    Max
    Ben
    Mathew
    Cormak
    Evan

Leaning towards Cormak for a boy the last few days.. I expect that will change another million times in the next few months though :rolleyes:

So hard to decide.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

xzanti wrote: »
    Leaning towards Cormak for a boy the last few days.. I expect that will change another million times in the next few months though :rolleyes:

So hard to decide.. :o

Would Cormac not be the more usual spelling?

NextSteps wrote: »
    Would Cormac not be the more usual spelling?

Probably :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Kade or Cody for a boy, Jamie or Alex for a girl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If (IF!!!) I were to go again it would be Connor for a boy and Grace or Emily for a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

Boys:
    Ollie
    Bobby
    Joey
    Louis

Girls:
    Daisy
    Libby
    Anabel
    Abigail
    Ellie

At the moment Joey and Ellie are both my favourites, but keeps changing regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Boys:
    Ollie
    Bobby
    Joey
    Louis

Girls:
    Daisy
    Libby
    Anabel
    Abigail
    Ellie

At the moment Joey and Ellie are both my favourites, but keeps changing regularly!

I named my little girl Isobel in the end, but for the longest time I was convinced I would name her Annabelle. Such a beauitful name.

Word to the wise...if you do like annabelle, don't tell anyone that you will name her that. It got ruined for me...but i wont tell you how. Just keep it to yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

hacked wrote: »

Word to the wise...if you do like annabelle, don't tell anyone that you will name her that. It got ruined for me...but i wont tell you how. Just keep it to yourself!

Oh no, I'm so curious now... how was it ruined for you? It's not near my top out of them anyway, so would love to know how it was ruined... PM me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

maybe annabelle the cannibal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Dont make it complicated.

Boy

Karl

Girl

Carroll.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have noticed a lot of odd spellings of names here and some 1st names been spelt like traditionally the way the surnames would?
    Is this on purpose?Why did you choose the different spellings?
    I am just interested.

I don't think I will ever be able to decide on a boys name ever..

Cormac
    Setanta
    Tadhg (I had typo'd but it is apparently spelt Tadgh
    and Tadhgh too)
    Oisin
    Donal
    and then I get stuck!

For girls -

Dearbhail (oh how I love this name)
    Caoimhe
    siofra
    Laoise

I normally have lists for girls but for some reason can't think of them atm.

I can't type fadas atm so I am aware of my above spelling issues:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Moonbeam, was your spelling of "Tadhg" a typo or a bit of irony considering the question about strange spellings? :p

I think people often want to try and put some kind of an Irish spelling on what is a non-Irish name, I've seen and heard of this loads. When we were naming my daughter, there's really only one way that her name is spelt, yet people were asking would it be spelt in various different ways to make it look like an Irish name.

Also, I think plenty of people possibly don't really find out for sure how exactly to spell a name. When we were getting our baby's name registered, a couple were insisting that their child should be named TJ. Not Thomas Joseph, or anything else, TJ only!!! Madness.

Next thing, we'll have Destiny Murphy and Moonlight O'Sullivan.

• Advertisement

There is supposedly a Megastar O'Sullivan in Dungarvan!

Agree with Moonbeam on the odd spellings. Connor for Conor etc.

Advertisement