Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

churchview wrote: »
    There is supposedly a Megastar O'Sullivan in Dungarvan!

Agree with Moonbeam on the odd spellings. Connor for Conor etc.

See you also picked up on my typo! :o I did indeed mean Conor!

Moonbeam, I love Laoise and Tadhg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

There is supposedly a Megastar O'Sullivan in Dungarvan!

Agree with Moonbeam on the odd spellings. Connor for Conor etc.

Around the time when Fergie married Andrew (1986 I think) a lady down the road from my home had twin girls, she called one Diana and the other one Fergie. Was the talk of the parish at the time but Fergie sounds kind of cool now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

knipex wrote: »
    Girl

Carroll.

If the surname Carroll is in your family, this is a cool version of the name. Otherwise, Carol is the most common spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

To put a fada in names hold down the 'Alt Gr' key whilst typing the letter on which the fada goes.

We're shortly going to be naming no.2, some names are still in the running from the first time, but finding it more difficult this time around!!

The bump has a has been given a nickname already, just hope there's not a Georgie Burgess moment and the nicknmame becomes permanent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I love Laoise and Tadhg.

Not knowing much about Irish names, I presume that Laoise is a misspelling that should be Louise?

P.S. How do you pronounce Tadgh?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

LordSutch wrote: »
    Not knowing much about Irish names, I presume that Laoise is a misspelling that should be Louise?

P.S. How do you pronounce Tadgh?

Thanks in advance.

No, Laoise is an Irish name in it's own right, pronounced "Lee-sha". Tadhg is prounounced Tie-g, like Tide.

Both are lovely names..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Both are lovely names..

If you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

LordSutch wrote: »
    If you say so.

Girls : Megan, Lilie (Lilie-may), Isobella (my grandmothers name), also voliet and Bell, also had a werid liking for the name Ariel OH surname is Reid so though last would go so well together :)

Only one for Boys : Presley (OH came up with this one, fan of Elvis lol) and agreed on the middle name James so if he disliked his name could nickname himself PJ,

I honestly dislike so many boys names they all sound so plain :rolleyes:

Nephew is named after a band Travis, He loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Girls : Megan, Lilie (Lilie-may), Isobella (my grandmothers name), also voliet and Bell, also had a werid liking for the name Ariel OH surname is Reid so though last would go so well together :)

Only one for Boys : Presley (OH came up with this one, fan of Elvis lol) and agreed on the middle name James so if he disliked his name could nickname himself PJ,

I honestly dislike so many boys names they all sound so plain :rolleyes:

Nephew is named after a band Travis, He loves it.

Agreed much rather continental Europe names, Irish name's really are dull :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We've decided on Cillian for a boy and Robyn for a girl :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I was convinced i was having a boy and we had more or less decided on Conor. When I had a girl, she was nameless for two days as we hadn't even thought about girls' names. We eventually decided on Mya. Gave her Therese as second name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Lilie (Lilie-may), Isobella (my grandmothers name), also voliet and Bell, also had a werid liking for the name Ariel OH surname is Reid so though last would go so well together :)

You're right, Ariel Reid sounds lovely, it's a gorgeous name:)

Are you Irish? I only ask because the spelling of some of those names is unusual. The common spellings of those names would be Lily, Isabella and Violet.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

deemark wrote: »
    You're right, Ariel Reid sounds lovely, it's a gorgeous name:)

Are you Irish? I only ask because the spelling of some of those names is unusual. The common spellings of those names would be Lily, Isabella and Violet.

Woops! typo for Violet hehe :D Yes I am Irish,

Isobella is pronounce sounding out the 'o' and for Lillie I just prefer the look of ie compared to the y :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

When I was pregnant many moons ago some of the names that I liked and were contenders back then are now names that I wouldn't be gone on. A lot of names that are fashionable go out of fashion after a few years.

In both my children's classes at school there are several pupils with the same name. No matter what name you pick children will soon find a nickname for it but if helps if you choose a name that minimises the more obvious ones ie. smelly Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I was browsing the internet looking for name ideas yesterday (due my first in January and have no real ideas yet for names) and came across this site: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/popular/0/us

They have the top 1000 boys and girls names in the US, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Scotland & England/Wales over the last 12 years or so (1998 up to 2008), its very well laid out. But the most fascinating thing is that they have the US records listed all the way back to 1880!! I thought it was really cool to see what the more popular names in the 1940's were for example. I'm a big fan of more old school type names, rather than all these new names with lots of K's and y's (jayden, kayden, Kyla and the like ... just don't do anything for me at all)

Anyway, think its worth a look if anyone is like me and pretty confused and indecisive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Gráinne has made it into the top 100 in Ireland. Happy days. Now with Gráinne Seoige moving to GMTV perhaps the name will be pronounced correctly in one country outside Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I had a healthy baby boy weighing 9 1 last monday called him alex out of all the names i had fancied that just sprang to mind when he was born! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Bubbles09 wrote: »
    I had a healthy baby boy weighing 9 1 last monday called him alex out of all the names i had fancied that just sprang to mind when he was born! :)

Will you register the full name or just use the diminutive?

Nice name and congrats!

elius wrote: »
    Agreed much rather continental Europe names, Irish name's really are dull :(

Are you for real? Irish names - all Irish names - are dull?

What are "continental Europe names"? Do you mean German, Italian, French, Spanish etc. etc. etc. - pretty wide choice for the boring Irish to compete with :rolleyes:

Bubbles09 wrote: »

Congratulations.

I love the name Alex and had been considering it for my first sproggy be it boy or girl. It was a boy in the end and I named him Adam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Are you for real? Irish names - all Irish names - are dull?

What are "continental Europe names"? Do you mean German, Italian, French, Spanish etc. etc. etc. - pretty wide choice for the boring Irish to compete with :rolleyes:

yey i am for real when i mean irish name's well they can be english aswell,

like paul, david, john, brian margeret mary suzan etc i just find them boring imho :eek::eek: if you walk into a hall full of 100 people and shout paul how many people would stand up.?
    Italian french and spanish names have a nicer ring to them i think....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

The wife wants Roxy for a girl or Lewis for a boy. I'm not good at big decisions like this so I'll probably go along with what she wants, as if I had a choice.
    I was asked if I wanted to give it an Irish name, but the O'Sullivan at the end should be ample

MadPatrick wrote: »
    The wife wants Roxy for a girl or Lewis for a boy. I'm not good at big decisions like this so I'll probably go along with what she wants, as if I had a choice.
    I was asked if I wanted to give it an Irish name, but the O'Sullivan at the end should be ample

She'll either be called Poxy or Poxy Roxy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I've always liked traditional Irish names:
    Oisin, Fiachra, Fionn, Cian and Conor were boys names I considered
    Caoimhe, Orlaith and Aoibheen for girls

But my husband isn't Irish and I know that his family and friends wouldn't be able to manage the spelling or pronunciation of any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I love Irish names too. I called my daughter Saoirse.

MadPatrick wrote: »

Roxy O'Sullivan :eek::eek::eek:

Please think of the poor child.

Squiggler wrote: »
    I've always liked traditional Irish names:
    Oisin, Fiachra, Fionn, Cian and Conor were boys names I considered
    Caoimhe, Orlaith and Aoibheen for girls

But my husband isn't Irish and I know that his family and friends wouldn't be able to manage the spelling or pronunciation of any of them.

Some are phonetic though e.g. Conor, Cillian (or your could spell it Killian to help with pronunciation).

elius wrote: »
    yey i am for real when i mean irish name's well they can be english aswell,

like paul, david, john, brian margeret mary suzan etc i just find them boring imho :eek::eek: if you walk into a hall full of 100 people and shout paul how many people would stand up.?
    Italian french and spanish names have a nicer ring to them i think....

I get you now. You don't mean Irish names. You mean names commonly used in Ireland.

You'll hear the "continental" versions of David, John, Paul etc. all over Europe.

There's a poor guy called Antoin O'Looney (as in the French version, not the Irish Antóin), in Clare. Owns a pub I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Some are phonetic though e.g. Conor, Cillian (or your could spell it Killian to help with pronunciation).

Conor was one we did consider. Cillian or Killian I wouldn't be able to stomach, anyone by that name that I'm acquainted with would put me off, awful really.

But we have managed to find both girls and boys names that we both like, and have picked out Bun's potential names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Some of the names suggested in this thread are horrific and would ruin any child. They are almost lifted from the back of detergent boxes.

I thought I'd stumbled across Boards.america or Boards.african-american.

Jaden is appalling - possibly the worst name ever coined.

Addison is the name of a serious gland disease, by the way. Have you met my son Leprosy and little Chlamydia?

I'd expect we'll have LaShawn, DeMarcus or Takeesha next. Irish people should not try to make their children into Beverley Hills 90210 or Boyz' in the Hood caricatures.

Advertisement