Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

a great site for looking at names is http://www.thinkbabynames.com/
    it has the popularity and variants. not the most userfriendly, but you get there in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    He wanted Caomhlinn

I love love love that name! How was he going to pronounce it, queev-lin or keev-lin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

deemark wrote: »
    I love love love that name! How was he going to pronounce it, queev-lin or keev-lin?

Actually he found a more different version of it, Cu-av-linn

I liked it, but not as much as Clodagh, we decided Aisling was perfect as we both like it, I was told I couldnt call my daughter Clodagh since its a river in Tipp!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

deemark wrote: »

That's the problem with some Irish names, even we here in Ireland have difficulty as to how some of them should be pronounced, and if the nipper grows up & travels the world or lives outside of Ireland, than there's a whole lifetime of explaining on as daily basis how to pronounce your name. I actually experienced this first hand in London, where one of my colleagues was 'Aoife' who was a lovely person, but whose name caused total confusion on a daily basis. Her name was printed on all customer invoices, so customers would ring up and ask for Err, umm, ah . . . Can I speak to Aiffe? Aoffy? please . . . with 'Offy' (off licence) being the favourite nick name for her in the office.

LordSutch wrote: »
    That's the problem with some Irish names, even we here in Ireland have difficulty as to how some of them should be pronounced, and if the nipper grows up & travels the world or lives outside of Ireland, than there's a whole lifetime of explaining on as daily basis how to pronounce your name.

I wasn't asking because it's difficult to pronounce (it's not), but because of the variation in pronunciation throughout the country. Another example is Caoimhe. In Donegal, she'd be Kee-va, whereas down the west, she's be Quee-va. In Monaghan, she could be Cay-va. I have this problem with my wee buck. My family and I call him Cauh-hill, whereas his grandparents and everyone up here call him Ka-hill. Whenever he gets talking, he can call himself whatever he wants!!!

I take your point about the difficulty abroad, but in fairness, how many names are global - John, Mary, Thomas? I have taught Polish, Latvian and kids from various African countries and it's only manners to make the effort to pronounce their names properly. I'm sure their parents didn't take ease of pronunciation in other countries into account when naming their children and nor should they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi Gemmabean,

If your husband is American and you lived in the U.S, then it would be quite normal and accepted. The actor Beau Bridges is one famous example!! I'd say it's commonplace in the South (Louisiana, Florida, etc).

In Ireland, it is in danger of being horribly mispronounced by fellow Irish people with no grasp of French. Boo or Bee-oh. Hence, your great effort might become mangled. It is also the Irish for "cow".

I've never heard of a French person named Beau. It seems to be American in popularity.

I have to agree with this. I think this child could be subjected to terrible schoolyard taunts, particularly once the kids learn that the Irish for cow is pronounced exactly the same as Beau. There was someone else recently (I think here, but not sure) who was going to call their child Bóann which is the name of a Celtic Cow Goddess!

Having said that if Beau is a family name, and you both agree you want to use a family name, is there another family name you could use without unfortunate phonetic translations?

That's the problem with some Irish names, even we here in Ireland have difficulty as to how some of them should be pronounced,

I don't think it's a problem as such. It's just that Irish language names are pronounced differently in different areas of the country. Irish has different dialects in different areas, rather than just different accents, so different pronunciations exist, but can all still be valid.

That's the problem with some Irish names, even we here in Ireland have difficulty as to how some of them should be pronounced, and if the nipper grows up & travels the world or lives outside of Ireland, than there's a whole lifetime of explaining on as daily basis how to pronounce your name. I actually experienced this first hand in London, where one of my colleagues was 'Aoife' who was a lovely person, but whose name caused total confusion on a daily basis. Her name was printed on all customer invoices, so customers would ring up and ask for Err, umm, ah . . . Can I speak to Aiffe? Aoffy? please . . . with 'Offy' (off licence) being the favourite nick name for her in the office.

This sort of rational really browns me off! "What if they go abroad" So fricking what if kids go abroad, they did in the 1800's and now Sean is an international name as are several other Irish ones. My next door neighbours are Nigerian/Polish and have a little girl with an Nigerian name. Took me a few goes to get it right but with your rational you are pretty much saying that since they came here their child should have been called Theresa or Jane so to suit me!

As for finding that situation in London, that is the last place you are going to get a regular name apart from a few common Muslim, Jewish and English names, apart from the regular few, you have so many cultures/religions there that everyone is going to be trying to pronounce them and not get it right. I call my children what I want because I want to, not to suit something that may never happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean 'All Irish names' just those that even confuse many people in Ireland too!

Some of my favourite Irish names are; Sean, Eamon, Tara, Shannon, Kerry, Clodagh, Orlagh, Brendan, Kevin, Declan, Patrick, Roisin, Olivia . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Adrieanne_x has 2 daughters with these names. All I can say is Addie is an Addison to the core, havent seen Saoirse in a while though! So I think both are lovely.

Your list consists more American names than anything :) Thats not a bad think, as long as a child isn't called Princess Tiamee and the like I think parents can call a child what they like.

I hate when family start pushing names on you. My father wanted us to
    call a daughter Gabrielle, my childs father was told by his mother that Molly was the only nice girls name. We hated both (there is nothing wrong with them only we wanted Gaeilge names) He wanted Caomhlinn, I wanted Clodagh, we agreed on Aisling!

If someone loves the old Irish names like Senan and Bríd thats fine, if they like Taylor and Seth, which are becoming more popular from across the Atlantic then that is fine too. One persons opinion is not gospel in this!

Saoirse is an absolute angel but a divil in disguise! She sleeps the night, takes all her bottles, smiles all day, but when she gets a temper on her, my oh my, get out of the way quick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

If someone loves the old Irish names like Senan and Bríd thats fine, if they like Taylor and Seth, which are becoming more popular from across the Atlantic then that is fine too. One persons opinion is not gospel in this!

Sorry to be pedantic...but I see so many people say this is an American name. Seth is actually a biblical Hebrew name.

hacked wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic...but I see so many people say this is an American name. Seth is actually a biblical Hebrew name.

I know hacked :) but it is very much used in America now, (no doubt due to its large Jewish population) and it will become more popular again after the release of a certain vampire book! Speaking of which found out my 28 year old cousing called her son Jacob!?! She's and Irish and Catholic and so is he so it is a bit odd alright. what with Jacob also being Hebrew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

We have our list of names, we have our favourites from them (in italics) but that keeps changing!!

Boys
    Ollie
    Bobby
    Joey
    Louis
    Evan (currently our fav)

Girls
    Libby
    Abigail
    Daisy (currently my fav)
    Ellie (currently OH's fav)

Would love to hear people's honest opinions about these names... and no, I wont take any offense! :)

We have our list of names, we have our favourites from them (in italics) but that keeps changing!!

Boys
    Ollie
    Bobby
    Joey
    Louis
    Evan (currently our fav)

Girls
    Libby
    Abigail
    Daisy (currently my fav)
    Ellie (currently OH's fav)

Would love to hear people's honest opinions about these names... and no, I wont take any offense! :)

They all sound lovely, but can I make a suggestion based on just my personal whim, but having said that it's something I hear a lot of people say?

If you're going to use a diminutive or nickname version of a name, would you consider using the proper name on the paperwork, and then using the nickname day to day. This way your child has the option to use either version later in life.

For instance, the nickname Jack is now commonly being used as an official name whereas until relatively recently it was a nickname of John. Maybe some of the Jacks out there might prefer to be able to use John in the future for whatever reason, but do they really have the option if they're officially given the nickname as a name?

So Ollie, Joey and Bobby are definitely lovely names for little boys, but Ollie, Joey or Bobby, the grown man, might prefer to be Oliver, Joseph or Robert. Regardless of what you put on the paperwork, you could now still call them Ollie, Joey or Bobby day to day of course.

The girls names are lovely as well, with a similar question arising though. Ellie and Libby are both nicknames or diminutives of Elizabeth i.e. they are the same name. Of course, Ellie could also be a diminutive of Ellen as well. You could kill two birds with one stone here - if you call her Elizabeth she could be Ellie or Libby day to day, whichever you (or she) prefers!

Enjoy the name picking and the general excitement!

* This link says it much better than I did and it even refers specifically to the name Elizabeth!

http://www.namenerds.com/uucn/advice/nicknames.html

churchview wrote: »
    If you're going to use a diminutive or nickname version of a name, would you consider using the proper name on the paperwork, and then using the nickname day to day. This way your child has the option to use either version later in life.

+1 on this. You can put Elizabeth for example on everything and still have your daughter called Libby by everyone, in school etc. If, later in life, she decides to wants to sound more grown-up e.g. at work, she can go by the long version. If you just put the short version on the birth cert, she wouldn't have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I know hacked :) but it is very much used in America now, (no doubt due to its large Jewish population) and it will become more popular again after the release of a certain vampire book! Speaking of which found out my 28 year old cousing called her son Jacob!?! She's and Irish and Catholic and so is he so it is a bit odd alright. what with Jacob also being Hebrew!

Most of the boys names we like this time are hebrew or biblical names - Issac and Reuben, and i think you would be hard pressed to find an 'old' name that is not biblical. My daughter is called Eve. We are Atheist, but as such find that longevity of these names appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Well after much thinking we've finally come up with 2 options

Amelie

or

Cillian

Amelie - I know its cheesy to name someone after a movie character - but its one of the OH's favourites and I really wanted Emma or Emily but as they are so popular we thought we'd make it a little bit different. She'd probably end up being called Emily or Amelia or Amy anyway :)

Then I'm really struggling with boy's names - not helped by the fact that I really feel that we are having a little girl, and quite a few people have predicted this too :) But anyway I came across Cillian on thinkbabynames.com .... and its kinda similar to my surname so I thought it would be a good way of keeping my name involved somehow as the child will be getting his surname. I wasn't particularly going for an irish name, but its nice, and I don't know anyone else who's called a child that recently.

Anyway - still 3-4 months to go to think of more names!:)

Also, on the hebrew names - tons of irish/catholic names are hebrew originally! Mine is hebrew (meaning vineyard ;)), but its also an order of nuns!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Karmella wrote: »
    Well after much thinking we've finally come up with 2 options

Amelie

or

Cillian

Amelie - I know its cheesy to name someone after a movie character - but its one of the OH's favourites and I really wanted Emma or Emily but as they are so popular we thought we'd make it a little bit different. She'd probably end up being called Emily or Amelia or Amy anyway :)

Then I'm really struggling with boy's names - not helped by the fact that I really feel that we are having a little girl, and quite a few people have predicted this too :) But anyway I came across Cillian on thinkbabynames.com .... and its kinda similar to my surname so I thought it would be a good way of keeping my name involved somehow as the child will be getting his surname. I wasn't particularly going for an irish name, but its nice, and I don't know anyone else who's called a child that recently.

Anyway - still 3-4 months to go to think of more names!:)

Also, on the hebrew names - tons of irish/catholic names are hebrew originally! Mine is hebrew (meaning vineyard ;)), but its also an order of nuns!

We've chosen Cillian aswel.. subject to it actually suiting him when he arrives (if it is a he) we may change our minds yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MzFit

My fiancé is Japanese, our child will grow up in Japan. So our baby will have a Japanese name. It'll be easier for him or her, and it'll match the family name better. But a non-Japanese middle name might be ok - full Japanese people don't normally have middle names but mixed Japanese and something else people often do.

Right now we're liking Yuki(雪)which means "snow" or Himawari(向日葵)which means "sunflower" for a girl. Probably will change our minds 100 times though!

But for a boy it's a bigger problem. He's a big rock 'n' roll fan, and his idea of good boy names are all his favourite artists' names. So we've been through Elvis, Ramone (The Ramones), Sid (Vicious), Johnny (Rotten), John, Paul, George and Ringo (Ringo also happens to mean "apple" in Japanese, he thinks this is a good thing, and he also thinks this would be suitable for a girl :rolleyes:) and.....gulp..........JAGGER.:eek:

My first choice for a Japanese boy's name would have been Daisuke(大介 or 大輔 or 大祐 or 大助 or 大典)but unfortunately that's his brother's name! So that's out...:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Why do women always pick such cringe-worthy names? Jake, Ben, Joshua, Sky, Joy etc. Whatever happened to Micheal, John, Frank, Maria, Mary, Ann etc. FFS:rolleyes:

The name Ava always reminds me of nAVAn. Say that in your head in Hector O'hocagain's voice. Go on.

• Advertisement

Well, and not that I'm condoning the likes of "Sky", most people nowadays would consider the names you chose as being "old people" names. With the possible exception of Michael.

Also I think Ava is supposed to be pronounced ay-va rather than like the middle of nAVAn. Not condoning that either but it's not my choice, is it?

MzFit wrote: »
    Well, and not that I'm condoning the likes of "Sky", most people nowadays would consider the names you chose as being "old people" names. With the possible exception of Michael.

Also I think Ava is supposed to be pronounced ay-va rather than like the middle of nAVAn. Not condoning that either but it's not my choice, is it?

And the new ones there are gay names. I'd rather have an old name than a gay one. Old names are old for a reason, they're good! Can you imagine John Wayne as Jason Wayne?

And I know Ava is supposed to be pronounced like that. They should just call the child Aoife. No gayness.

And the new ones there are gay names. I'd rather have an old name than a gay one. Old names are old for a reason, they're good! Can you imagine John Wayne as Jason Wayne?

And I know Ava is supposed to be pronounced like that. They should just call the child Aoife. No gayness.

I was going to reply to this but I think I'll just refrain from feeding the troll. :rolleyes:

MzFit wrote: »
    I was going to reply to this but I think I'll just refrain from feeding the troll. :rolleyes:

I'm not feckin trolling:mad: I'm just saying what everybody in non-internetty land thinks, but are too busy with real life, or too chicken, or too pollitically correct to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

John Wayne's real name was MARION, didn't make him any less of a man.

Jason was a Greek Mythological hero, leader of the Argonauts, slayer of men and seducer of women who challenged the Gods. Can't get more butch than that.

Mary and Maria are great names, for nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think the world would be a very boring place if we werea ll called John and Mary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Obvious troll is obvious.

Seriously, most of the names you mentioned above (Ben, Joshua, Joy etc) are biblical names so... they are as old as you can get really. They are not "gay", gay is a sexual orientation or a word to describe happiness.

Why do women always pick such cringe-worthy names? Jake, Ben, Joshua, Sky, Joy etc. Whatever happened to Micheal, John, Frank, Maria, Mary, Ann etc. FFS:rolleyes:

The name Ava always reminds me of nAVAn. Say that in your head in Hector O'hocagain's voice. Go on.

All 3 boys names are Hebrew! You have no right to diss other peoples choice of names by calling them gay, that is infantile! You can say you don't like them, I hate my name, but if another family name their daughter my name I cannot diss it! I am not a fan of a few of those names. Nor am I a fan of a few of the ones you suggested!

Sky is a bit odd but there was a girl on neighbours a few years ago with that name and people may have picked it up from that. It is not the worst name out there. I know a girl with a son with a ridiculous name, but she loves it and I respect that! No doubt she thinks my son's name is boring, but that too is her opinion!
    Seriously, most of the names you mentioned above (Ben, Joshua, Joy etc) are biblical names so... they are as old as you can get really. They are not "gay", gay is a sexual orientation or a word to describe happiness.

Some people just are plain idiots and nothing short of over grown children! Obviously this person is about 12 as anyone who says something is "gay" is usually prepubesant and as no idea of the words actual meaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Post reported!!

But after
    A
    Good giggle!! At him- not with him!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

me_right_one banned.

Advertisement