Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

roxy1974 wrote: »
    has anyone ever had ptk laser surgery and how did it turn out for them ?

I've never had it personally, but I know someone who has.

The results are essentially the same as LASIK, but the recovery takes much longer - days, weeks or even months in the worst cases. That means you'll have a longer period of discomfort, and it'll take longer to reach 20/20 vision.

Think it's recommended for people with thin corneas. Otherwise, LASIK is by far the more efficient procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

spav wrote: »
    I've never had it personally, but I know someone who has.

The results are essentially the same as LASIK, but the recovery takes much longer - days, weeks or even months in the worst cases. That means you'll have a longer period of discomfort, and it'll take longer to reach 20/20 vision.

Think it's recommended for people with thin corneas. Otherwise, LASIK is by far the more efficient procedure.

'EK' also recommended for folks who might fear that the 'flap' might get dislodged from their line of work or sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Havent read everything here but it'd be cheaper at the end of the day than buying new glasses every year. But then it has to be weighed up against all the negative problems people keep claiming as a result of it.

Would love to have it done, if it worked.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lost in my own head

Have never considered it myself, I have to wear glasses for reading and watching tv and it doesn't really bother me, but now I have a real problem. I have a three year old boy, and he has a condition where his eyes are shaped like rugby balls, which affects his focus, he is now wearing glasses and have to do so for another three years, the doctor told us that his eyes could straighten out by the time he's six, but they might not and he would have to wear glasses for the rest of his life, and the only other alternative is laser surgery, I'm really at a loss. I know how cruel kids could be and don't want him to be bullied over it at school, on the other hand he already needs surgery on his left eye and as well as not wanting to put him through any of it, I have heard too many bad stories about laser surgery. Everyone in the family tells me that there are only rare cases that end up badly, but as a mother I can't help but think, what if this is going to be one of those cases. And on top of it all I had surgery last year and though it was meant to be straight forward procedure, it did not go well, and I'm afraid that something could go bad with him too. I really couldn't handle that.

Could someone please help me, I would appreciate any advice or information you could give me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Have never considered it myself, I have to wear glasses for reading and watching tv and it doesn't really bother me, but now I have a real problem. I have a three year old boy, and he has a condition where his eyes are shaped like rugby balls, which affects his focus, he is now wearing glasses and have to do so for another three years, the doctor told us that his eyes could straighten out by the time he's six, but they might not and he would have to wear glasses for the rest of his life, and the only other alternative is laser surgery, I'm really at a loss. I know how cruel kids could be and don't want him to be bullied over it at school, on the other hand he already needs surgery on his left eye and as well as not wanting to put him through any of it, I have heard too many bad stories about laser surgery. Everyone in the family tells me that there are only rare cases that end up badly, but as a mother I can't help but think, what if this is going to be one of those cases. And on top of it all I had surgery last year and though it was meant to be straight forward procedure, it did not go well, and I'm afraid that something could go bad with him too. I really couldn't handle that.

Could someone please help me, I would appreciate any advice or information you could give me. :(

Is it an astigmatism he has, think that's something to do with rugby ball shaped eyeballs? If he only has to wear glasses for a few years that isn't a big problem. I know he's young but there'll be a few in his class wearing glasses, you'll see. He'll get used to them. You're lucky really, my son is 10 and is really shortsighted -4.50 and -6.00:(. His eyes unfortunately will deteriorate as he grows. Laser surgery to correct short sight won't be done until the eye has stopped growing and the vision has stabilized - in a boy that's about 21. I hope and pray he will be a candidate for surgery some day.
    What kind of surgery is he having in his left eye? Is it correct a lazy eye? If so, that's a really successful procedure and very common.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lost in my own head

Thanks a million, yeah it's astigmatism, but only found out about it last week, the doctor reckons that if he got the glasses sooner he would have had a better chance of it straightening out. (feel guilty as hell I didn't bring him in sooner). I really hope all works out for your little man. There's nothing worse when something's wrong with your child, you rather it happened to yourself, I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

most kids I know who wore glases from the age of three did not need them anymore by the age of 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a three year old boy
    People are usually only put through laser surgery after they're 21 years old, and only after their eyes have not changed for a year. It's not a viable option for someone so young.

Astigmatism is usually hereditary. If you have it bad (as I do), laser won't be able to "cure" your sight, only make it a bit better, but with a higher risk (the part where the laser would usually hit is in the wrong place, I think, as the shape of my eyes is different than usual).

=-=

In reference to the shape of the eyes being weird, but I'd get the advice of an optician about the bit where the doctor says "his eyes could straighten out by the time he's six".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

arbeloa wrote: »
    I think it's pretty alarming that a surgery with victims attached to it is so heavily marketed. First I don't think commerce and medicine are a good mix because needless risks will be taken by surgeons and patients alike all for the sake of money. I think these surgeons are irresponsible and should really be advising their patients not to do an unnecessary surgery. They don't even know the long term risks of what they are doing. They should be ashamed of themselves.

What would you consider "long term", seeing as this procedure has been in place since c. the late 1970's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fuinseog wrote: »
    most kids I know who wore glases from the age of three did not need them anymore by the age of 12.

? Why not?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    ? Why not?

Hyperopia or farsightedness in a child can rectify itself as the child grows.. you can tell if someone is hyperopic as their eyes look bigger behind the lenses. Sadly with shortsighted or myopic children, the sight gets worse as the eyeball grows.

Fuinseog wrote: »

They must've been farsighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ladybird99

Why dont you take him for a consultation with a surgeon. My daughter is three and has had laser eye surgery twice and had cataracts removed also. Professor O'Keeffe was the surgeon and he has a clinic for children in Temple Street every week. I doubt he would advise a procedure that was not necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I thought Hyperopia to be far less common than Myopia. Maybe I'm wrong

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought Hyperopia to be far less common than Myopia. Maybe I'm wrong

I don't know if there's a difference in the numbers. Myopia doesn't usually become noticeable 'til a child can't see the board at school or is seen squinting. Any very young kids I've seen with glasses are hyperopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ladybird99 wrote: »
    Why dont you take him for a consultation with a surgeon. My daughter is three and has had laser eye surgery twice and had cataracts removed also. Professor O'Keeffe was the surgeon and he has a clinic for children in Temple Street every week. I doubt he would advise a procedure that was not necessary
    Why has she needed eye surgery twice at three years old? For each eye, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ladybird99

the_syco wrote: »
    Why has she needed eye surgery twice at three years old? For each eye, or something else?

Yeah both eyes twice but may need it again in future. She was premature & had ROP. My point is that if there is a need, laser eye surgery can be carried out on children.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hi Folks,

I got some more vouchers from optical express today,300 euro off.
    If anyone is interested drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Had my surgery 2 weeks ago today and i am so happy. I was -8.5/8.75 with astigmatisms in both eyes, glasses since I was 7 ish. I could not get out of bed without glasses.
    Now I got a kick out of looking at the reading glasses stand in the pharmacy today and seeing the line that said ' if you can read this you do not need glasses' heheh
    It was not a simple experience, but followed the instructions re drops and no infection, eyes still dry but manageable and getting better every day.
    I was driving next day.
    So great to have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I went for consultation in cork last week with optical express but they said they only do surgery in newbridge or dublin.

I was gonna go to ultralase in limerick to hear what they say also but does anyone know if they do the surgery in limerick or would i have to go up the country with them also?

It just would be so much easier to do it locally seen they said you have to go back the next day, week, month and 3 months rather then traveling up and down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

I went for consultation in cork last week with optical express but they said they only do surgery in newbridge or dublin.

I was gonna go to ultralase in limerick to hear what they say also but does anyone know if they do the surgery in limerick or would i have to go up the country with them also?

It just would be so much easier to do it locally seen they said you have to go back the next day, week, month and 3 months rather then traveling up and down the country.

With optical express your surgery is done in newbridge or cork but all your post ops are done in the store in cork. So you only need to travel for the day of the surgery

Shamanic wrote: »
    With optical express your surgery is done in newbridge or cork but all your post ops are done in the store in cork. So you only need to travel for the day of the surgery

thats not what they told me. they said they didnt do any surgeries in cork, it was all newbridge or dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

thats not what they told me. they said they didnt do any surgeries in cork, it was all newbridge or dublin.

Sorry my mistake, i meant surgery done in newbridge or dublin, all post ops done in any store

Shamanic wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake, i meant surgery done in newbridge or dublin, all post ops done in any store

no problem. so does anyone know if ultralase does the surgery in limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Me Me

Ann22 wrote: »
    Is it an astigmatism he has, think that's something to do with rugby ball shaped eyeballs? If he only has to wear glasses for a few years that isn't a big problem. I know he's young but there'll be a few in his class wearing glasses, you'll see. He'll get used to them. You're lucky really, my son is 10 and is really shortsighted -4.50 and -6.00:(. His eyes unfortunately will deteriorate as he grows. Laser surgery to correct short sight won't be done until the eye has stopped growing and the vision has stabilized - in a boy that's about 21. I hope and pray he will be a candidate for surgery some day.
    What kind of surgery is he having in his left eye? Is it correct a lazy eye? If so, that's a really successful procedure and very common.

Hi:)I've been wearing glasses since the age of 4/5 with astigmatism round -7 and -8 in right,they almost become another extension of your body:)they did gradually deteriorate every year, but I'm 21 now and think they've begun to stabilise a bit hopefully. I went for a consultation over a year ago and was told to be suitable then:)but will have to wait untill it's fully stable..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

hey lads,

So is overall what seems to be the best procedure/clinic?
    Ive heard alot about the Wellington????

Are lasek and wavefront two different procedures?

Im 22 now and would love to get it done cos my im sick of glasses, had em all my life and the contacts just don't work, I would use them for football and hurling, so they keep getting knocked about. Anyone ever got non-retarded looking sports goggles? The Edgar Davids kind are best of a bad bunch really, so something like them would be ok. I think they were oakley but not sure, anyone know how to get hold of em here in Ireland?

Sorry it hasn't much to do with thread but I need help!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

So is overall what seems to be the best procedure/clinic?
    Ive heard alot about the Wellington????

Are lasek and wavefront two different procedures?

Hi Marcus,

basically Wavefront is a type of software used to pickout smaller imperfections in the eye and so you can get wavefront with Lasik or Lasek.

Without wavefront the surgery corrects your general prescription i.e. -2 or whatever, but wavefront can correct other visual impairments like starbusting around lights etc.

Lasik is the surgery where they make a flap in the cornea before lasering & then put the flap back.

With Lasek they loosed the epitheal layer & move it aside before lasering. They then put it back into place and secure with a bandage contact lens for a few days. This is probably the more reccomended option if you play contact sports - but they'll discuss this with you at your consultation.

A few people I work with had their surgery done at the Wellington Clinic & were really happy with it. I went to Laservision for mine and would highly reccomend them.

If you're thinking of going ahead with the surgery the best advice would be to go to a few consultations at different clinics and see who you're most comfortable with.

Hope this helps

Me Me wrote: »
    Hi:)I've been wearing glasses since the age of 4/5 with astigmatism round -7 and -8 in right,they almost become another extension of your body:)they did gradually deteriorate every year, but I'm 21 now and think they've begun to stabilise a bit hopefully. I went for a consultation over a year ago and was told to be suitable then:)but will have to wait untill it's fully stable..

Think with men they do it from 21...as their growth isn't complete 'til then unlike women who stop growing around 18. Best of luck with it:). Might be worthwhile taking Flaxseed oil capsules btw. Dr Lavery (Wellington Clinic) told me to take them before my surgery for some reason..think it was 'cos my eyes were dry. I know a chap who had Prk done around 1994 ish. He was only 18 or 19 when he had it done as he wanted to join the Foreign Legion. They did it and all...however he said his sight did regress a little bit over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gaza m

hi guys, having a bit nightmare, had app to get my eyes lasered in optical express today, I was getting the wavefront lasek, waited an hour and a half in the waiting room and when I was called in the surgeon noticed I had a cold sore on my lip and refused to do the surgery, the cold sore was over a week old and nothing more than a scar but he wouldnt budge, told me to wait a month and come back!!! Im raging wanted this done before my holidays, im off to spain on the 6th august, dont know whether to try and get it done somewhere else now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

gaza m wrote: »
    hi guys, having a bit nightmare, had app to get my eyes lasered in optical express today, I was getting the wavefront lasek, waited an hour and a half in the waiting room and when I was called in the surgeon noticed I had a cold sore on my lip and refused to do the surgery, the cold sore was over a week old and nothing more than a scar but he wouldnt budge, told me to wait a month and come back!!! Im raging wanted this done before my holidays, im off to spain on the 6th august, dont know whether to try and get it done somewhere else now?

hi gaza, sorry to hear about the slightly OTT weariness from that surgeon, sound like a rather arrogant attitude, I'm sure a week to leave your coldsore cure completely would have been fine. Give Laservision a call maybe (laservision.ie) and see if they have any free slots, they did a perfect job on me. You'd wanna be looking for a surgery date of around July 29th or sooner if you want your eyes to be in a decent state of repair before your holidays. Otherwise I'd say wait til after your hols

Advertisement