Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cupantae

I'm thinking about getting laser eye surgery done - I've a consultation booked with one clinic next week. From threads previously posted research is recommended - other than on a particular clinic's website where can I find relevant information? Has anybody get consultations done with different clinics? Any suggestions as to pros & cons of different clinics, procedures etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jelfs

All I can tell you is I had laser eye surgery done about 10years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Have suffered dry eyes though but still worth it to me. I got it done in a clinic in London (lot cheaper, at the time), it was called Optimax. Not sure if they're still there. Anyway 10yrs later and my eyesight is still fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Me Me

gaza m wrote: »
    hi guys, having a bit nightmare, had app to get my eyes lasered in optical express today, I was getting the wavefront lasek, waited an hour and a half in the waiting room and when I was called in the surgeon noticed I had a cold sore on my lip and refused to do the surgery, the cold sore was over a week old and nothing more than a scar but he wouldnt budge, told me to wait a month and come back!!! Im raging wanted this done before my holidays, im off to spain on the 6th august, dont know whether to try and get it done somewhere else now?

Hi Gaza:)it's very frustrating having to wait for surgery, but in one way it's a good sign that he's an overtly cautious surgeon who's not willing to take any unnecessary risks, did he elaborate further on how it could interfere with surgery or recovery, from what I know the cold sore is a reactivation of the HSV1 virus, maybe he could answer further questions if it would put your mind at rest.. best of luck with your surgery:)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

Hiya, have booked surgery for 2nd Aug with Optical Express on Wellington Rd. Feeling very nervous now after reading about possible disastrous side effects. Wearing glasses/contacts isn't the end of the world, is it really worth the risk? I play loads of sport and I couldn't live without them, so I'm worried that somehow irreperable damage will be done and I wouldn't be able to play sport anymore : (

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gaza m

hi gaza, sorry to hear about the slightly OTT weariness from that surgeon, sound like a rather arrogant attitude, I'm sure a week to leave your coldsore cure completely would have been fine. Give Laservision a call maybe (laservision.ie) and see if they have any free slots, they did a perfect job on me. You'd wanna be looking for a surgery date of around July 29th or sooner if you want your eyes to be in a decent state of repair before your holidays. Otherwise I'd say wait til after your hols

The cold sore was gone two days after my appointed so I agree very OTT to tell me to wait 3 weeks to go back!! Im booked in up in Belfast this thursday so I will be giving myself two weeks before I go away. Hopefully all will go well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I'd love to get it done but they turned me down. Only 25 years of age and they said my prescription was too high .i.e +
    :(:(:(

My husband was also turned down he is longsighted and I think his presription is +4.oo its very disappointing..you never know maybe the technology may improve over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

gaza m wrote: »
    My husband was also turned down he is longsighted and I think his presription is +4.oo its very disappointing..you never know maybe the technology may improve over the next few years

It's not necessarily the equipment at fault here. Laser eye surgery involves reshaping the cornea on the front of your eye. For surgery to take place there has to be adequate thickness of the cornea before commencing.

endplate wrote: »
    It's not necessarily the equipment at fault here. Laser eye surgery involves reshaping the cornea on the front of your eye. For surgery to take place there has to be adequate thickness of the cornea before commencing.

I had my surgery done yesterday in Belfast. All went great I have to say. I had Wavefront LASEK done, my cornea was a bit on the thin side so that was the best procedure for me. I have a contact in my eyes for 4 days after the surgery, had an eye test this morning and already im readling better that 20/20... amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm seriously considering getting Laser Eye Surgery, the only thing stopping me at the moment is I don't have the cash to spare.

Getting seriously sick of glasses and contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

the_syco wrote: »
    People are usually only put through laser surgery after they're 21 years old, and only after their eyes have not changed for a year. It's not a viable option for someone so young.

I'm 22 and just recently had my eyes checked. My left eye was exactly the same as a year ago but my right eye went from -5.25 to -5.50 for contact lenses. Optician said my glasses would correct the astigmatism so I wouldn't need to change my glasses, just the contacts.

Could I get the surgery now or would I have to wait another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 notspav

KevR wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering getting Laser Eye Surgery, the only thing stopping me at the moment is I don't have the cash to spare.

Getting seriously sick of glasses and contacts.

Ultralase do interest free credit, or at least they did when I got mine done a few months back. I didn't take it out myself, but was told that the credit check is quite tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev1

Hi,

I have arranged a free consultation with Optilase on Monday.
    I did, however, wear my daily disposables while at the galway races yesterday only! Now, after checking Optilase website, its says I shouldnt have worn any soft lenses for a week before the consultation. But, from researching this and looking at other companies, i had seen many times, some places only require that they are not in for 24 hours beforehand.

Does the fact i wore the daily disposables yesterday, really make any difference??

Or do ye reckon, I should try and ring Optilase to re-arrange?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Well I had my consultation on fri in wellington road.

The wavefront for two eyes came to 3600 but I said ill go up north so they said they would match there price at 2750 euro if I got it done net thursday.

I find it very odd that I was told 595 per eye then 1100 per eye and then 3600 and the worse thing is im self employed so claiming back aint an option.

Would love to get it done but dont think I can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

jelfs wrote: »
    All I can tell you is I had laser eye surgery done about 10years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Have suffered dry eyes though but still worth it to me. I got it done in a clinic in London (lot cheaper, at the time), it was called Optimax. Not sure if they're still there. Anyway 10yrs later and my eyesight is still fine.

Got lasik done in this very place about 5 years ago, without doubt the best thing i ever did. Always wore contacts and they were a pain in the arse, got this done and wish id done it earlier. Had zero and i mean zero side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MariaPatt

Hi guys,
    I had a consultation with Optical Express today and they quoted me 2945 (with Aviva discount) for Lasik Wavefront with Intralase. I am not too sure which way they do the pricing - might look at the prices in Belfast.

By the way even if you are Self Employed, you can still claim back tax. You just fill in your Med1 form in 2011 for all your medical expenses in 2010.

Anyway shopping around for prices and to see who I feel happy with. Optical Express seemed good today so happy enough. Will also try LaserVision to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Hi Maria. I priced the north prices and it worked out 1200 cheaper then the south but stll cost 2750.

regarding the tax this year has been a **** year and id be surprised if ill be paying much at all defo wont be the 500 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

595 per eye in optical express? why advertise that price?

i went in there and as my prescription is very low i thought the cheap price would suit me. then she started telling me that it was basically
    very crap technique/machine that they used for the 595 per eye job.

yes i know its just a marketing price to get me in the door, and yes it got
    me in. but i felt deflated walking out the door being quoted 3500 for
    lasik blah blah wave front.

im just curious if anyone opts for the 595 procedure. does it work okay?

i dont mind the slightly longer recovery time. i dont care if the laser isnt

as accurate as the latest technology. as long as it does the job im fine.

why put me off the cheaper alternative? i dont trust what they say now

i think its all about getting me to go for the dearest procedure.

hardly what you call honest impartial advice, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

mike65 wrote:
    Quite, a 99.9% success rate would'nt be enough in this case.

Mike.
    Yes its too risky i think!! (Your eyesight is not something to mess with)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 skiathos

I booked my surgery with Laservision (lasik with wavefront) for Thurs afternoon, so nervous I asked for a Valium on the day to help my nerves :(. anyone have experience with Laservision? or recovering from lasik wavefront surgery?

oh the thought of it is scary.......... but so sick of wearing glasses and contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

I got Lasek treatment last October in Laservision. John Fenton did the procedure. I had done a lot of research and had heard good things about Laservision and Mr Fenton. The first few days after the operation were very difficult. I had a lot of pain and irritation in my eyes. Eventually this subsided and my vision began to improve slowly. During the first few months I was concerned at the extremely slow pace of improvement in my vision. I'd say it took a good 6 months for it to fully improve.

Now I have 6/5 vision, so no problems there. But, I have to admit that I am not 100% satisfied with the results. I can see fine, but I do notice starburts and halos at night. It's most noticeable when I'm looking at the tv and the lights are off. It's only a minor annoyance though and I get used to it, but I would prefer if it wasn't there. At my last checkup a few weeks back I mentioned this to John Fenton. He said that this might or mightn't go away. It's nine months now since the operation so I'd say this is as good as it gets.

Despite this, it was worth the money and I definitely don't regret getting it done, mainly because I hated wearing glasses! I just love the freedom I have now - able to wear sunglasses, enjoying a swim, vanity aspect too :) If you're thinking of getting it done just remember to have 'reasonable expectations' as is mentioned in the literature. I heard so many people singing the praises of laser therapy and a tiny percentage saying it was a terrible mistake but not so many in the 'fell slightly short of my expectations' category, which I am in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Got Wavefront Lazik on Monday with Optical Express. Noticed improvement in the operating room. Eyes teared up and were difficult to open for about 3 hours afterwards, but after a snooze and keeping them closed listening to radio, I was perfect the next morning. :)
    Went for a 24 hour checkup today, and my vision is great. left eye seems a little sore still (took longer to settle the clamp during the procedure, probably bruised somewhat) and my right eye has slight inflammation but the drops should sort that out.
    Was driving about the place no bother today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭evenmicheal

Got laser eye surgery done in Optical express on Wellington Road three months ago. Very happy with result. Surgery was fine and does not hurt at all. My eyes were watery on day on surgery and were sensitive to light for a few days. Had a check up the day after and already had 20/20 vision.

Nice professional staff. Is expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

emo72 wrote: »
    595 per eye in optical express? why advertise that price?

i went in there and as my prescription is very low i thought the cheap price would suit me. then she started telling me that it was basically
    very crap technique/machine that they used for the 595 per eye job.

yes i know its just a marketing price to get me in the door, and yes it got
    me in. but i felt deflated walking out the door being quoted 3500 for
    lasik blah blah wave front.

im just curious if anyone opts for the 595 procedure. does it work okay?

i dont mind the slightly longer recovery time. i dont care if the laser isnt

as accurate as the latest technology. as long as it does the job im fine.

why put me off the cheaper alternative? i dont trust what they say now

i think its all about getting me to go for the dearest procedure.

hardly what you call honest impartial advice, is it?

I agree, its basically false advertising when the procedure they recommend on the day is almost 3 times the price of their TV ad. My advice is tell them to GTFO and go with Laservision - they cost exactly €2,040 with VHI and tax back, and I was very happy with my results from them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Had wavefront Lasik done 4 months ago.
    Everything went great,had all my check ups.Had better than 20/20 vision.

Went back there last week, I didnt get around getting to my 3 month check up.

I knew something was up with my sight,both my eyes have degraded to -.75.I knew there was a small chance of this happening but alas I have been unlucky.

Have to go back for another check up in 6 weeks and then arrange another procedure for a "top up".

Not looking forward to going through all that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 willy_wonka

have a consultation with optical express coming up, is it advisable to bring someone with me to the appointment if my eyes may be blurry afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

have a consultation with optical express coming up, is it advisable to bring someone with me to the appointment if my eyes may be blurry afterwards?

for the surgery yes its definitely advisable to bring someone with you, not that the blurriness is too bad, but its just nice to be able to close your eyes if needs be...also book a taxi if you live anywhere near by or ask your friend to drive, so your not waiting around for a bus. I found strong sunlight is definitely uncomfortable for a few days after. p.s. if its just the initial consultation to check if you're suitable you can just go by yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Had wavefront Lasik done 4 months ago.
    Everything went great,had all my check ups.Had better than 20/20 vision.

Went back there last week, I didnt get around getting to my 3 month check up.

I knew something was up with my sight,both my eyes have degraded to -.75.I knew there was a small chance of this happening but alas I have been unlucky.

Have to go back for another check up in 6 weeks and then arrange another procedure for a "top up".

Not looking forward to going through all that again.

I went for a "top-up" earlier this year after getting my eyes done in '09 and to be quite honest it seems that my eyesight is regressing again!!! i'll be contacting them this week again to go in and have another appointment to see whats happening, not impressed at all, twice i had to go through with it and endure the pain for a week or so, also i train in full contact sports so it would mean another few months off full training if i have to get it a third time!!!

so don't be too surprised if it doesn't work out again, but saying that i could be an exception to the rule, maybe its just not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 31 willy_wonka

for the surgery yes its definitely advisable to bring someone with you, not that the blurriness is too bad, but its just nice to be able to close your eyes if needs be...also book a taxi if you live anywhere near by or ask your friend to drive, so your not waiting around for a bus. I found strong sunlight is definitely uncomfortable for a few days after. p.s. if its just the initial consultation to check if you're suitable you can just go by yourself

thanks for the reply mikeystipey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I went for a "top-up" earlier this year after getting my eyes done in '09 and to be quite honest it seems that my eyesight is regressing again!!! i'll be contacting them this week again to go in and have another appointment to see whats happening, not impressed at all, twice i had to go through with it and endure the pain for a week or so, also i train in full contact sports so it would mean another few months off full training if i have to get it a third time!!!

so don't be too surprised if it doesn't work out again, but saying that i could be an exception to the rule, maybe its just not for me

What type did you have done?

What was your prescription before it?What did it regress to?

I found this interesting article,explains alot

http://www.refractivesource.com/patients/complications/over_correction.htm

Advertisement