Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

God, really bricking it now! I work on computers all day and have a fairly long commute so I am thinking it will be a nightmare post op. How do you manage driving? Is it especially bad at night?

Well, I don't have a car at the mo. But funnily enough, I think driving would be ok after 4-5 days or so. It's not as if I have issues seeing where I'm going, it's just closer/finer work that's a problem because the haze makes resolving fine detail a little difficult. For objects further away, your brain tends to ignore any shadows or fuzz in the picture.

I don't believe you'll have issues with driving to be honest. I have no issues with negotiating pedestrians and traffic, including at night. Computers on the other hand will likely cause you problems. Dry eyes being the most obvious but small text is a pain. If I had an option of using a text-mode crt monitor, that's the one I'd go for. Bit 1980s though...

Night time is ok except if it's really dark and cars have their brights on. But that's an issue for anyone. Hum. I really couldn't tell you - I think each person has their own results as regards night vision but I say driving at night is a lot easier than negotiating dogcrapped pavements at night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LAALA

God, really bricking it now! I work on computers all day and have a fairly long commute so I am thinking it will be a nightmare post op...
    Hi, Gun Slinger, if you are getting LASEK done, so it's gonna be very hard for you to work on computer for the first weeks. Nobody told that to me, so it was a big shock ... Only now I can see a little bit better (I am after 6 weeks post-op), but the problem is - that I can work on my computer not longer than few hours a day...After half an hour my eyes are getting sore, the vision is blurry, so I can hardly see the letters...(even if I enlarge the letters).
    I had a problem with driving for the first few weeks, because my vision was double(and still is double, but not so bad ), if there was a one light, I saw very clearly 2 lights, but if you go very slowly,then you can manage to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 RossieGirl

Hi has anyone had eye surgery done in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Ok guys, there isn't always great success stories with laser surgery. i'm going in for another appointment for a consutation and check-up tomorrow week in the wellington road clinic. Previously i had both eyes done, lasek, and my eyesight went from a prescription of -3.5 to being perfect but after a few months they regressed again to about -2.5. I had top-up surgery done again on my right eye which went back up to perfect then regressed back again to -2.5, my nightvision is practically non-existant and driving in the dark in near impossible.There are times when i'm not sure if i am actually seeing flies flying past or just floaters there are that many in my eyes. I'll see what they have to say and let you all know, but i'm pretty pissed off because after more than €3.5k and painful recoveries and i'm worse than before. they said previously that my corneas "overhealed and tried to return to their original shape after surgery so that was why they regressed to near the original prescription" and apparently all it would take would be a simple top-up procedure. That wasn't the case obviously.

I'm not sure now if i can get it corrected or if I will have to wear glasses again for good, i doubt i can wear contacts now after twice receiving surgery but we'll see what they say.

Anyone else know of anyone in the same situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tombip1

Hi,

I had my consultation with Dr Corkin at the Wellington yesterday and came away feeling a bit over-whelmed by the amount of information plus the magnitude of the decision I need to make. My eye sight is pretty dire and at age 44 I've suddenly reached a point where I wonder if I could actually leave the glasses/contacts community. Not so easy it seems. Dr Corkin recommended Lasik and mono-vision (as it said himself though..."you don't have the best set of eyes I've ever seen" My right eye is particularly bad - -12). Anyway I can go ahead if my perscription is settled and my eyes are producing enough tears. I have never had dry eyes in all the years I've worn contacts so I was a bit surprised to hear that. And even more surprised to be dispatched off for three months with a bottle of flax seed oil tablets (which will help my tears apparently)

Has anyone found that taking flaxseed oil helps with dry eyes?
    And has anyone gone for Lasik Monovision - and how did it work out for you?
    And finally - any more views of The Wellington/ Dr Corkin? I heard great things about Mr O Keefe in the Mater - but we live close to the Beacon so opted for that instead.
    Any info at all that will help me to make up my mind would be great!!!

• Advertisement

Hi,Guys!

I am at 8 weeks post-op and my vision is much much better! Double vision is gone! I had astigmatism -1,75 in my left eye, now it is only 0,5 :) Astigmatism in right eye was -1,5, now-1,25. My eyes are still in healing process, so I hope astigmatism will be gone in few months.
    My night vision is just perfect, which i just can believe!
    I can work on computer as long as I want and my vision is crisp!
    It is truth that we have to be very patient after LASEK op!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Good to hear Laala. I'm at the end of 6 weeks myself and things are changing and getting better. At 4 weeks I was anxious to get to my 1 month appointment to ask if my eyesight was actually ok or is it going wrong. But he said 4 weeks is early days in Lasek and I was doing really well.

But yeah, my night vision is pretty good now actually. Quite remarkable when you first notice - came out of a city store earlier in the week and it was dark and everything was quite clear and bright. I can also read the TV teletext most of the time without magnifying it - couldn't do that last week.

carveone wrote: »
    That's amazing, carveone, isn't it?!

I just hope my eyes won't regress,as it happens to other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 surething28

Hi Guys,

Just wondering about the payment for laser. What way does the 20% tax work and if you have private Health insurance is this a further 15% off the total? i had a consultation with Optical Express and am eligable for the Laser Waverfront.

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

Hi Guys,

Just wondering about the payment for laser. What way does the 20% tax work and if you have private Health insurance is this a further 15% off the total? i had a consultation with Optical Express and am eligable for the Laser Waverfront.

Thks

You get the 15% off your health insurance, so you never have to pay this. The other 85% then you do have to pay upfront but you can reclaim 20% off this this using a MED1 form from the tax office (I think you have to wait until the end of the tax year). So if the price is €3,000 for example, it works out as follows:

3000-4502550-5102040

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

well its nearly a month since i got the laser surgery done. have to say it was very painful. what has to be remembered here that there are different types of laser eye surgery.
    my one was horrendous. spent 3 days in bed with sleepers and painkillers. after about 5 days i was ok. but that 5 days was super sore. both are done now. got one done at a time and let me tell you i was so moody and sore!

but on the upside :D
    have to say best thing i ever done. it has given me a whole new lease of life. i feel so much better and confident and i couldn't rave any more about it. it was so worth the pain.

i am so happy now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bramabull81

I got the customvue wavefront with intralase done in April with Optical Express. I spent the extra e900 to get intralase done just for the piece of mind of the laser making the cut and the less likely occurrence of something going wrong. It was painless and i could see perfect that evening. Apparently my vision is better than 20/20 now.It was worth the money and have had no issues to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Maybe all of you can give me some advice, I've had one eye done and I agree, it was pretty horrendous at first but now that pain has subsidded and I can open the eye, I see my vision is much improved but far from perfect. I know with LASEK it does take time but I have my second eye scheduled for this Friday and I'm concerned about being able to carry on with my life. Job (mostly spent on computer) and commute (by car).

Should I wait till the first eye is 100% before getting the second eye done so I can avoid not being able to drive/ use a computer? How did you guys carry on with work after having both eyes done?

All thoughts welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 notspav

CBFi wrote: »
    Maybe all of you can give me some advice, I've had one eye done and I agree, it was pretty horrendous at first but now that pain has subsidded and I can open the eye, I see my vision is much improved but far from perfect. I know with LASEK it does take time but I have my second eye scheduled for this Friday and I'm concerned about being able to carry on with my life. Job (mostly spent on computer) and commute (by car).

Should I wait till the first eye is 100% before getting the second eye done so I can avoid not being able to drive/ use a computer? How did you guys carry on with work after having both eyes done?

All thoughts welcome!

I was back at work within 24 hours. My eyes were quite light sensitive, but I could see fine. Avoided driving and excessive computer use for about 3 days.

notspav wrote: »
    I was back at work within 24 hours. My eyes were quite light sensitive, but I could see fine. Avoided driving and excessive computer use for about 3 days.

After LASEK? Was your sight that good? As it stands, my treated eye cant see the screen on my computer- I'm using my glasses and untreated eye. It's like I have -2 vision now instead of what I had, -4.75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Can you have laser eye surgery after having a squint operation in the past?

i went to see my surgeon last wednesday to discuss my concerns and I went ahead with the surgery. no regrets! I can work away no problem with the eye i got done first. Maybe im lucky (or things could be a bit up and down for a few weeks and im on a high point) but my eye is healing well and it's very clear and sharp- not quite 20/20 but getting there.

my second eye is still fuzzy and unclear but my experience from my first eye is that it should be better by Friday.

No regrets, so far i've had no issues except for the discomfort the few days between surgery and the lenses coming out. I know that it could be up to three months before my eye is 100% and my surgeon said that it could get worse before it gets better so patience is key as all have been saying here already.

Good luck to anyone that goes for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rental25

i definitely hope to get laser at some stage.

suffer with alot of discomfort from my lenses and dislike wearing my glasses

i'm - 6.10 in my right and -5.5 in my left so i really can't see a thing without them

I'd love to be able to wake up and see everything in the morning, see my boyfriends face and not end up nosing him in the eye when i try to kiss him or be able to tell whether it's raining or not when i look out the window or be able to see the small writing on the tv of sky news!!

tootally agree with you on this 1!even tryin 2 see my boyfriend across the room is a task!my eyes are -7 and -6.25 so im pretty blind!went for a consultation wit wellington and they seem very good and im hoping to get it done in the next few months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rental25

LAALA wrote: »
    Hi,Guys!

I am at 8 weeks post-op and my vision is much much better! Double vision is gone! I had astigmatism -1,75 in my left eye, now it is only 0,5 :) Astigmatism in right eye was -1,5, now-1,25. My eyes are still in healing process, so I hope astigmatism will be gone in few months.
    My night vision is just perfect, which i just can believe!
    I can work on computer as long as I want and my vision is crisp!
    It is truth that we have to be very patient after LASEK op!

thats brilliant results where did you get it done? rough idea of price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Dero wrote: »
    I would have it done in the morning if I were eligible, but alas, my eye condition pretty much precludes any sort of laser surgery ever. So I'm stuck with rigid contacts for the foreseeable future. :(

I had high hopes for Intacs, but they're nowhere near well enough established yet, especially for Keratoconus.

Hi Dero, I was searching for Intacs on boards and saw your post. I have that condition also and was considering either RGPs or Intacs. I can function pretty well with my glasses but I think I'll go and see someone about getting RGPs. It would be great to see clearly with no light distortion! Are you still using RGP's. how long do they last before you need to replace them and are they expensive?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

testicle wrote: »
    Can you have laser eye surgery after having a squint operation in the past?

Not sure but your consultations are free until you agree to have the surgery. NO harm in going around to the different laser eye surgery clinics and have them run the tests on you. Ask your GP too.

I had laser eye surgery 2 weeks ago. I had almost 20/20 vision the NEXT MORNING (less than 24 hours after the surgery). I didn't need any pain relief and had no discomfort at all aside from a little light sensitivity (nothing a pair of sunglasses for 24 hours didn't sort out though :))

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help. I know how scary it is and I know I had a million questions before I got it done. Talking to someone who has had it done before is the best for sure.

I strongly recommend having the surgery done if you are thinking about it. The procedure itself was easier than going to the dentist. You keep looking at the lights and you don't feel a thing as your eyes are completely numb!

P/s my prescription was almost -5 in each eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm thinking of getting this done at the end of the year. LASEK Ultra Elite with Ultralase in Cork. The quote is EUR 3,500.

I am -6 in both eyes.

I'd love to see recent percentages quantifying those who suffer unpleasant long-term consequences, vs. those that are very happy.

Amtmann wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this done at the end of the year. LASEK Ultra Elite with Ultralase in Cork. The quote is EUR 3,500.

I am -6 in both eyes.

I'd love to see recent percentages quantifying those who suffer unpleasant long-term consequences, vs. those that are very happy.

I got it done there. You can negotiate the price with them. Have you done it already?

No ill effects to report so far.

The only 'negative' problem I had was some bruising in the whites of my eye (your eyes look bloodshot). It improves everyday and they told me it will take about two weeks for it to be completely gone. This occurs from the suction. There is no pain with it or anything it just doesn't look very nice. I don't care though it was worth it:D

Pink11 wrote: »
    I got it done there. You can negotiate the price with them. Have you done it already?

No ill effects to report so far.

The only 'negative' problem I had was some bruising in the whites of my eye (your eyes look bloodshot). It improves everyday and they told me it will take about two weeks for it to be completely gone. This occurs from the suction. There is no pain with it or anything it just doesn't look very nice. I don't care though it was worth it:D

Hi Pink,

I didn't know that the price was negotiable. I was just inquiring, so nothing is signed yet. Did you choose Ultralase based on good feedback from other patients, or did you research various options and settle on them based on cost and reputation?

Also, by how much did you get them to decrease the price?

Hi Pink,

I didn't know that the price was negotiable. I was just inquiring, so nothing is signed yet. Did you choose Ultralase based on good feedback from other patients, or did you research various options and settle on them based on cost and reputation?

Also, by how much did you get them to decrease the price?

Yeah. I chanced my arm basically. I explained I didn't have much income and made an offer. They accepted. The original quote I got was 3,700 and I got it down to 3,200. I can claim a % back on the med 1 form next January so all in all it should come to about 2,700.

Give it a go. A sob story always works :D

Pink11 wrote: »
    Yeah. I chanced my arm basically. I explained I didn't have much income and made an offer. They accepted. The original quote I got was 3,700 and I got it down to 3,200.

Very interesting. I would never have considered trying to haggle. Every little helps!

Very interesting. I would never have considered trying to haggle. Every little helps!

Exactly. Best of luck let us know how you get on.

Any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm 6 months today and couldn't be happier. Mine was Optilase.

Bit of discomfort (wouldn't call it pain) Getting legs waxed worse. Was -6-7

Now perfect. very satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

I had lasik eye surgery 2 days ago, I was -6.50 and - 6.75 and was corrected for monovision.

Although my vision had hugely improved by the following morning its nothing close to the clarity/distance I had with glasses/lenses. I could drive the following morning for my 24 hour check up but I am very worried as I cannot read, recognise people, read any road signs, teletext, tv, or even the reg plates of cars just ahead of me in traffic.

It feels as though I'm wearing glasses that aren't quite strong enough and by 6pm each evening I'm ready for bed with exhaustion - I guess its from my brain and/or eyes constantly straining to focus.

I've been using the drops constantly as I've read they help with visual acuity but the improvement is negligible and very short lived. I'm just wondering if anybody on the thread here has had the surgery and whether the distance vision improves in time .... will my vision get better or will the extent of the vision I've got just get crisper?

If my distant vision doesn't improve and only the clarity of what I can currently see improves I will definitely have to either have more surgery or wear glasses ......

I have no pain and the recovery process seems to be going very well and I do understand that the vision fluctuates in the first week particularly but I am very anxious and worried about it.

I rang the clinic the following day looking for reassurance I guess and was told me that it was nothing to worry about and to come back in 7 days for my scheduled second check up, but thats not for another 5 days and right now that feels like an eternity .... any advice form anyone else with similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

jussayeh wrote: »
    I had lasik eye surgery 2 days ago, I was -6.50 and - 6.75 and was corrected for monovision.

Although my vision had hugely improved by the following morning its nothing close to the clarity/distance I had with glasses/lenses. I could drive the following morning for my 24 hour check up but I am very worried as I cannot read, recognise people, read any road signs, teletext, tv, or even the reg plates of cars just ahead of me in traffic.

It feels as though I'm wearing glasses that aren't quite strong enough and by 6pm each evening I'm ready for bed with exhaustion - I guess its from my brain and/or eyes constantly straining to focus.

I've been using the drops constantly as I've read they help with visual acuity but the improvement is negligible and very short lived. I'm just wondering if anybody on the thread here has had the surgery and whether the distance vision improves in time .... will my vision get better or will the extent of the vision I've got just get crisper?

If my distant vision doesn't improve and only the clarity of what I can currently see improves I will definitely have to either have more surgery or wear glasses ......

I have no pain and the recovery process seems to be going very well and I do understand that the vision fluctuates in the first week particularly but I am very anxious and worried about it.

I rang the clinic the following day looking for reassurance I guess and was told me that it was nothing to worry about and to come back in 7 days for my scheduled second check up, but thats not for another 5 days and right now that feels like an eternity .... any advice form anyone else with similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Had you tried monovision in contact lenses before? It can take your brain a few days to adjust to having one eye set for reading and one eye set for distance. If you are really unhappy, ring the clinic and say you want an appointment sooner. They should see you sooner if you want to be seen

Advertisement