Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Went to Optical Express in Cork today for a consultation.

Got quoted 3900 euro for Lasik Wavefront Intralase,to be honest I didnt think It would be this much.Also felt they were pushing the sale way too much,kinda put me off tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Got quoted 3900 euro for Lasik Wavefront Intralase,to be honest I didnt think It would be this much.Also felt they were pushing the sale way too much,kinda put me off tbh.

Have a look at optilase http://www.optilase.com/pricing.htm.
    You will probably get 20% tax back on the price quoted by Optical Express.

I had it done their last year. One eye is perfect but the other has a small prescription -0.5. I have to wait 3 months to see does it drop any further it was at -0.2, 6 months ago so I may need an enhancement. Although they did mention they may not do anything for a small prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Its interesting how expensive things are in certain countries while they are so cheap in other countries.

I did the surgery for roughly about 500 euros (roughly) in India. This was for both the eyes together. The hospital that i did the surgery was great and there service was top class. It was one of the major hospitals in the country. That being said, in india 500 euros for an eye surgery is a lot of money. I also enquired the price of lasik in Saudi arabia while i was there. There quote too was around 700-800 euros (roughly)for both eyes .

I have to say, 3900 euros is a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 arbeloa

Jip wrote: »
    You're spamming this thread at the moment and making wild accusations against surgeons and companies that provide such services.

Where's the medical evidence for this claim ?

I understand you may be upset with what happened with you but you cannot go making wild posts such as yours.

I've got medical research papers written by opthalmologists in my possession that show clearly that LASIK is doing short term and long term damage to the eyes. You would need access to a university library to get your hands on these. The suction ring used in the surgery damages the vitreous gel which makes it more prone to breaking away from the retina. Essentially the surgery speeds up the aging process of the eye.

If people are getting ectasia, long term dry eyes, retinal detachments, floaters and other eye diseases post surgery then it is time to stop. For the simple reason that this surgery is obviously not healthy for human eyes.

I've had a poor result but it would be naive to pretend that there are not many more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

If you've a short sighted eye, regardless of whether you've had laser surgery or not, you're more prone to floaters as your eyeball is longer hence more vitreous fluid. It congeals naturally like old honey. I can't understand how the suction would cause that.

• Advertisement

Look, anyone out there who's thinking of laser surgery should be aware that all the risks on the consent form apply to them. So for LASIK the risks are permanent dry eyes, night glare, floaters, etc.
    Now the simplest way of putting this is there would be no need for a consent form if eye laser surgery was so safe and reliable.
    If the risks happen, which they can and have happened to people including myself, then the surgeon and clinic have ruined the patients eyes but know they have themselves covered legally. It basically means they can say or do what they like after they've ruined your eyes. They can say your eyes are in great condition if they like. Basically if the surgery goes wrong you are absolutely 100% f*****.

I can't put it more bluntly than this. What I did was daft. What the surgeons are doing is worse. They are deliberately gambling with healthy eyes for the sake of money and research.

Remember all surgeries carry risks. Eye laser surgery is no different. If surgery is completely unnecessary then the surgeons are behaving unethically. Patients should stop letting these surgeons near their eyes and put this whole industry out of business once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

I had laser eye surgery 2 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. It cost €2900 but I got €1000 back from health insurer and another 20% back through Med 1. All in all it was money well spent.

As for recovery I was fine that evening, couldn't believe it as they had said it may take a few days. Just make sure to use the drops and shields and be careful in the shower. I've recommended it to a few friends and they have all had great results.

It's a personal choice and everyone is different but as I said it's the best thing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 revision

I agree with the people who say not do to lasik.

I have had poor eyesight but I didn't have the money to do laser eye surgery. So I started to search cheaper opportunities. It's not so hard but needs some work and knowledge to do right eye exercies! Improve eyesight naturally is my quote.

It's better and permanent;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

I've posted on this before, I have had eye laser surgery done - twice. I have no long term side effects, had dry eyes for a few months, but still far better than wearing glasses, or how dry my eyes used to get with contacts.
    As it is elective surgery, of course a consent form is required.
    I agree that your eyes are muscles, but as for a website that tried to get you to buy something, promising it can improve your eyesight? I dont think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 revision

I agree that your eyes are muscles, but as for a website that tried to get you to buy something, promising it can improve your eyesight? I dont think so!

Well, have you heard about Alexandr technique?. They same or similar thing is the Bates Method. Google more and you'll soon find that the site which I gave you, consist of pretty good science which doesn't only improve eyesight but make your whole body to be more relaxed.
    First I started to take Alexandr technique lessons cause there was a problem with my lower back and then my teacher soon talked about Bates method cause my eyesight wasn't perfect. I searched and then I was like "ahaaaa"...
    Everything can be cured with no operations and medicals - that I believe. And maybe that's why I'm more vegetarian nowadays. Anyway Duke Peterson have made huge research on how to use Bates method so that it really works, I admire him and so should you!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know whether there is a rick of early onset of cataracts post LASIK/LASEK?

I've seen one or two posts from people who developed cataracts at far too young an age. They had laser surgery a few years beforehand.

Don't forget eye laser surgery is completely unregulated so a surgeon can lie to you about the percentage likelihood of each risk occuring on the consent form. For example 36% of people have dry eyes for at least 6 months post LASIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

arbeloa wrote: »
    Don't forget eye laser surgery is completely unregulated so a surgeon can lie to you about the percentage likelihood of each risk occuring on the consent form. For example 36% of people have dry eyes for at least 6 months post LASIK.

I had my eyes done 2 years ago and had dry eye's for almost a full year then about a year ago, over about a month it went! The dry eyes didn't really bother me that much.

Would I do it again, yes, it was the best 3,000 euros I ever spent! :)

Anti-virus, I agree. Mine was over 4000 old pounds at the time, had mine done at the Blackrock Clinic, and would completely trust my surgeon.
    I understand that your eye is a muscle, and its great that exercises worked for you, revision, but my eyesight was so bad, that I couldnt get out of bed in the morning without glasses - I had to keep my glasses under my pillow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

anyone had experience of Laservision in Leeson Street?

had a consultancy with them in the new year, was happy enough with it and i am planning to book Lasek laser eye surgery with them for both eyes on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

anyone had experience of Laservision in Leeson Street?

had a consultancy with them in the new year, was happy enough with it and i am planning to book Lasek laser eye surgery with them for both eyes on the same day.

did Lasek with Laservision last July and its worked perfectly, 6/4 vision now which is better than 20/20 apparently. Referred a friend as well and his eyesight is now very good also. So fire away with Laservision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

I know this may sound like a dumb question.
    I was told to get my eyes checked every few years because they change with age and your specs wont work too good.
    Okay you just get new specs.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but doesnt 'laser eye surgery' just remove material from the cornea and leave the lens in the eye untouched?

Bottom line being in ten or fifteen years time doesnt this mean you'll be wearing specs again as the lens changes or having more material removed from an already thin cornea?

Just thought I'd ask.

Have waverfront Lasik booked for next month with Optical Express,I have a bad enough prescription (-6.75 and -6.5)

I'm optimistic on the results and hopefully will be life changing.Both contacts lenses and glasses seems to be bugging the hell out of me the last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Anyone get a video of their surgery? Some ones on youtube that make me cringe!

If you want to be put off like me, watch this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Bottom line being in ten or fifteen years time doesnt this mean you'll be wearing specs again as the lens changes or having more material removed from an already thin cornea?

Just thought I'd ask.

The majority (I think) of adults will need glasses anyway, regardless if they have had eye surgery, for reading as they get older, it's part of the natural ageing process.

However, if you had surgery for shortsighedtness and you then need glasses again for myopia, some places will correct this again free of charge.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that,really looking forward to having it done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

strangely enough when surgery is being done to your eyes you can't actually see whats being done :rolleyes: My procedure was totally pain free and I didn't even feel any of the fore-warned pressure. Don't be put off by this video

Rang up Optical Express today to pay for my procedure,looks like there was a mistake in their quote.

They quoted me 3900,they never advised this was with the health insurance discount.Thing is tho,I dont have health insurance,they even asked me this!

Total figure is now 4600,I've paid a 500 euro deposit already.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mhiceal

I had laser eye surgery in Optilase. I paid 2000 Euro for both eyes and my vision is better than 20/20 vision. I cant believe that some places are still charging those kind of places in this market. Dr.Hurley operated on me and was very kind considering i was a nervouse wreck. I would highly recommend Optilase but the decision is yours.best of luck wherever you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

I only have positive things to say about my eye surgery. Had it done in Blackrock Clinic about 6+ years ago. Having worn glasses since the age of 89, and starting to find contact lenses irritating, I bit the bullet. I am an incredibly nervous person, but it was the best thing I ever did. Slight dry eyes for a few months after, but nothing I couldnt cope with.
    Unfortunately, vision started to deteriorate, so I went back 2 years later, had it done for free, excellent results again. I have a slight astigmatism in one eye, but would still never ever regret this procedure.

at that age i'd have not bothered

Mhiceal wrote: »
    I had laser eye surgery in Optilase. I paid 2000 Euro for both eyes and my vision is better than 20/20 vision. I cant believe that some places are still charging those kind of places in this market. Dr.Hurley operated on me and was very kind considering i was a nervouse wreck. I would highly recommend Optilase but the decision is yours.best of luck wherever you go

Well,obviously it depends on the actual procedure you get,your prescription.etc

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Im at the other scale +1,25 / +1,00 and if i dont wear glasses i get the endless migrane/dizzyness. anyone know or had long sightness treated via laser. All I read online gave very ambiguous answers to it. Also am abroad so Id have to contend with pitfalls of 2nd language to explain etc.. anyone advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 notspav

telecinesk wrote: »
    Im at the other scale +1,25 / +1,00 and if i dont wear glasses i get the endless migrane/dizzyness. anyone know or had long sightness treated via laser. All I read online gave very ambiguous answers to it. Also am abroad so Id have to contend with pitfalls of 2nd language to explain etc.. anyone advise?

I'm in a similar situation. My prescription is +2.25 in both eyes, not as bad as some but bad enough to mean I have to wear glasses the whole time.

Is it cheaper to get the procedure if your prescription is relatively light?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

did Lasek with Laservision last July and its worked perfectly, 6/4 vision now which is better than 20/20 apparently. Referred a friend as well and his eyesight is now very good also. So fire away with Laservision :)

+1

Just had my 6 month check up with Lasevision and now have 6/4 vision. Had the surface treatment (LASEK) and it is one of the best things I have ever done. Laservision were brilliant and I couldn't recommend them enough.

• Advertisement

ludwit wrote: »
    at that age i'd have not bothered
    Sorry, I meant to say, age 19!!!
    Anyway, still love it, but keep meaning to have my eyes tested, as the right one seems to be less clear than the left (which is a bit strange, considering it was my left eye which was the problem)

Advertisement