Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery - Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Been reading some of the posts in here. Want to get this done but haven't a hope of funding it. Maybe get a consultation etc.
    Anyway my prescription as of last year was +5.00 and +5.50 in my right and left eyes respectively.

Anyone around early 20's(22) had this done with a similar prescription?

Edit: Never mind, rang them there (Ultralase) and apparently I don't qualify with my sh!tty stupid eyes:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

What type did you have done?

What was your prescription before it?What did it regress to?

I found this interesting article,explains alot

http://www.refractivesource.com/patients/complications/over_correction.htm

My Presrcription was -3.5 before in both eyes, regressed to -1.5 in both, and tbh i think its about 1.5 again! have an appointment in 2 weeks so i'll know more then.

I think it was the IK precedure, Lasik, always getting them mixed up but i know it took a week or two before the irritation subsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Mine was at -6 before and is currently -.75 so not as extreme as yourself.

I've a check up in a few weeks to make sure it has stabilised before they will go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Been reading some of the posts in here. Want to get this done but haven't a hope of funding it. Maybe get a consultation etc.
    Anyway my prescription as of last year was +5.00 and +5.50 in my right and left eyes respectively.

Anyone around early 20's(22) had this done with a similar prescription?

Edit: Never mind, rang them there (Ultralase) and apparently I don't qualify with my sh!tty stupid eyes:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

i'm sorry to hear that marcus. i got the surgery done but my dad wanted to get it done too but they told him he was unsuitable. something about his prescription. he was bummed so i know how you feel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am myopic -1.25 which isn't too bad, however I just can't look good in glasses and can't get into contact lenses. When I go out I end up not wearing glasses and this has led me into some rather akward situations in terms of "she looked better from far away......"

If a person gets Laser Surgery is it like a once only thing, I'd get it no problem but am afraid if I got it that it would deprive myself of the ability to restore my sight when it inevitably fails 30 or 40 years down the road.

Also what the difference between laser and lasek eye surgery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

Got lasik done in this very place about 5 years ago, without doubt the best thing i ever did. Always wore contacts and they were a pain in the arse.

Are you sure you were using the contacts right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 willy_wonka

Had my consultation today with optical express in Dundrum, not a suitable candinate, my cornea is to thin, very dissapointed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 McGyverGirl

Hi, Has anyone gotten the surgery done by Dr Hurley in the Ardfallen Eye clinic in Cork - I think that he used to be with Optilase. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LAALA

Porkpie wrote: »
    I got Lasek treatment last October in Laservision.The first few days after the operation were very difficult. I had a lot of pain and irritation in my eyes. Eventually this subsided and my vision began to improve slowly. During the first few months I was concerned at the extremely slow pace of improvement in my vision. I'd say it took a good 6 months for it to fully improve.

I have to admit that I am not 100% satisfied with the results. I can see fine, but I do notice starburts and halos at night. It's most noticeable when I'm looking at the tv and the lights are off. It's only a minor annoyance though and I get used to it, but I would prefer if it wasn't there.

Hi,Porkpie, can you tell me ,did you have shortsighted? astigmatism?

I got lasek treatment in Wellington 2 weeks ago, and my vision is not very good because I see shadows, its like a double vision :confused:. I know I have to be patient, but I am very afraid that this double vision won't dissapear :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

All booked in for next week in Wellington, sh!tting myself :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

i am getting laser eye surgery done in the mater private next week. my eyesight is not terrible -1.50 but hate glasses and fed up of contacts.
    they will only do one at a time. it will only take 10 minutes but will be quite painful after.

the consultation was an hour and a half long and it was certainly not sold to me. heard all the risks. it is quite daunting :confused:

Had my consultation today with optical express in Dundrum, not a suitable candinate, my cornea is to thin, very dissapointed :(
    maybe you should get a second opinion? mine are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Hi, Has anyone gotten the surgery done by Dr Hurley in the Ardfallen Eye clinic in Cork - I think that he used to be with Optilase. Thanks

That is his private clinic in Cork AFAIK.
    He still works with Optilase as well, he performed my surgery in Optilase Cork this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I used to wear -5 and -5.5 contact lenses. Went to optical express back in june for the consultation, was terrified before i went even though it was just the consultation but i was happy with all the answers they gave so got wavefront intralase done in september. After my one week check up the lady said i had 20/10 vision, she was as amazed as i was at how good i was.

Have another check up tomorrow and with all the blurriness and bruising gone it feels better again.

The only thing they didnt tell me was how much it would hurt after anasethic wore off but that pain only lasted bout 2 hrs so it was well worth it.

They sent me out vouchers also last week so if any one is interested PM me but they expire 17 november.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

delighted for ya. Was it in Cork or Dublin. I rang optilase and they said I haven't the right eyes:rolleyes: how much was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I did the surgery in newbridge as cork doesnt have the equipment for surgery but all my follow ups will be in cork as its closer to me.

Cost was a bit steep when they first told me at E3910, i was expecting maybe a grand an eye but if i had the choice again Id still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Booked in for LASEK in the Wellington next month. Surgeon is Dr Corkin.

Anyone experience with LASEK from here? How did the op/recovery go and importantly how are your eyes now?

Pretty bricking myself with all of the horror stories on here although I know over a dozen people who got it done with absolutely no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Does anyone know if there is a reason why LaserVision are so much cheaper than their competitors? The difference in pric seems quite substantial.

Also, can anyone explain what floaters and star bursts are if anyone has experienced them? Are they common risks and are they long lasting?

I'm seriously considering getting laser surgery asap because I have the money now and have a break from sports for a couple of months which is handy as otherwise I would have to take a few weeks off sport to get it done. Is LaserVision a good place to get it done or should I consider somewhere else. I was considering Wellington Eye Clinic but they do not offer a discount for my health insurance so I don't think it's affordable to go there. Is the Mater Private as dear as Wellington?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

Anyone experience with LASEK from here? How did the op/recovery go and importantly how are your eyes now?

Pretty bricking myself with all of the horror stories on here although I know over a dozen people who got it done with absolutely no problems at all.

I'm just at the two week point and am mainly walking around bricking myself that some eejit will elbow me in the eye. I made the rather dumbass mistake of arriving at Tara St station at 6pm today and nearly had some sort of mental break :rolleyes:

I looked one or two pages back and was relieved (well, comforted really) to see a post by LAALA describing his vision. I have precisely the same thing and I was getting a touch freaked out. I guess it's normal to have shadows - I was describing it as a smeared vision effect, like really really tired blurry eyes would have. It was the right eye last week, left this week.

I'd be interested to hear if his/her vision stopped that. Night vision isn't super either.

This is the thing. With LASIK you get the wow effect at a slightly increased risk. With LASEK you have to wait and put up with weird stuff happening as your epithelium regrows. Plus I was corrected by -6 so I get to wait longer than a -3 would. It's all terribly entertaining. Not. Expect to see haze and blur and expect variances in your vision for at least 4 weeks.

I'm trying to think of things that will help you... Well first, take the valium when offered. Why turn down perfectly good narcotics. They also take the edge off afterwards and are probably equivalent to about 5 pints. Good stuff.

Expect some discomfort the evening/night of the surgery. Go home and go to bed. You're given numbing drops - they won't work if you're eyes are watering (they will be watering). I found that blowing my nose (which was also running) would clear my eyes for a short while (yeah, they're connected) and then I could pop a drop in. Then sit there for 4-5 mins until it kicks in. Otherwise you'll have to use a cold compress. I wasn't having the time of my life but it wasn't terrible either. About the same as getting a box in the eye.

You'll need to be prepared - I made up a bit of tuna before so I could have a slice of toast with a protein. That's all you'll feel like. The solphedine is good for taking the edge off but if you use too much of it you'll get nausea. Day 2 - 5 you should be fine but you'll be bored out of your freaking mind. I ate a lot of fig rolls.

I spent most afternoons in bed listening to books on CD. You can't watch TV really. Firstly, there's nothing on. Secondly it's too damn bright. Everything is really bright. I took a few walks with a hat and shades.

Um. I'm rambling now but hope this helps someone.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

The surgery itself is just easy. You feel some pressure at first and brace yourself for pain but no pain happens. You look at the lights and there's some noise and the smell of ozone as the laser fires and that's it. It goes dark for a bit but that's just a pad for the antihazing medication, you haven't gone blind!

I was like... Er. Is that it? You're in there for 10 mins.

• Advertisement

purcela wrote: »
    Also, can anyone explain what floaters and star bursts are if anyone has experienced them? Are they common risks and are they long lasting?

Floaters are deposits that float within the jelly that makes up your eye. I've quite a few of them but don't really notice them.

Starbursting is the effect that occurs when your iris opens to a diameter greater that the diameter of the treatment area. If you had large pupils at night, say, 8mm then with the older VISX lasers you'd be in serious trouble. They had a treatment diameter of 6mm. Then there would be a step back to whatever your original cornea was. When your pupil opened to this point your vision would go to crap.

It is really important that you know this. I do know that most lasers in use today do a blend at 6mm up to 8mm so the issue isn't as bad as it was by any means. I'd still always always find out my dark adapted pupil diameter though and ask some hard questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 phiilpj

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Hi Yourgingerness. I got laser done about two years.

I had -2 in both eyes as well. I know its not what ur asking as i got it done in the WEllington CLinic in Dublin. But you would be an excellent candidate for monovision.

They told me to try monovision first. IT means they only do laser on ur stronger eye and ur other eye learns to adjust. What this effectively means is that you will never NEVER need glasses again.

Anyone with 20/20 vision now, well from the age of 42 on will start to need reading glasses, but -2 apparently is the perfect perscription to never need reading glasses.

Just something worth thinking about plus its only half the cost.

Hi Clonesbabe,

I am about to get the laser done also. Like you, they are suggesting (almost recommending) I go with monovision as yes, alas, I am approaching an age where they say I will need reading glasses anyway. Very interested in what you said about -2 being perfect to avoid reading glasses. my prescription in -2.25. Did you go ahead ? Any experiences to offer esp re: monovision

Philip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LAALA

carveone wrote: »

I looked one or two pages back and was relieved (well, comforted really) to see a post by LAALA describing his vision. I have precisely the same thing and I was getting a touch freaked out. I guess it's normal to have shadows - I was describing it as a smeared vision effect, like really really tired blurry eyes would have. It was the right eye last week, left this week.

I'd be interested to hear if his/her vision stopped that. Night vision isn't super either.

Hi, I am at 5 weeks post-op (lasek, in Wellington). To be honest I am still not happy with my vision, the last week my vision was horrible, I still have ghosting and that's why the vision is not sharp. But today I see much better and I have a hope...Before op I had a slight astigmatism, but after LASEK it is much bigger!!! I am nail technician, I love doing nail art, but now I can't see well at short distance, which is depressing me. I didn't have an idea, that after op I will have to hold off that! My life has changed after LASEK , I am very sad, depressed and nervous most of the time... I know I have to wait, but it is very hard for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 micktrim

That's terrible, i know a few people who got it and said they're happy with it but i think ill stick to my glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Had a consultation with the surgeon in Laservision this morning, found him very helpful, and he put me at ease with any issues I had. Following the meeting I think I'm ready to book myself in for teh surgery. He recommended lasek for me, said it would suit me better than lasik. Now it's just a case of organising a date to go in and get it done, as I want to get it done in the next few weeks if possible.

LAALA wrote: »
    Hi, I am at 5 weeks post-op (lasek, in Wellington). To be honest I am still not happy with my vision, the last week my vision was horrible, I still have ghosting and that's why the vision is not sharp. But today I see much better and I have a hope...Before op I had a slight astigmatism, but after LASEK it is much bigger!!! I am nail technician, I love doing nail art, but now I can't see well at short distance, which is depressing me. I didn't have an idea, that after op I will have to hold off that! My life has changed after LASEK , I am very sad, depressed and nervous most of the time... I know I have to wait, but it is very hard for me...

It's hard not to freak out a bit but apparantly this is what LASEK is all about. Which is why LASIK is so popular ;) I'm having a bit of hard time myself - some days are better than others but short distances - eg: me to this laptop screen - are a bit of a trial. And I need to cut my nails but not sure I should try!!!

Here's the thing. The epithelium needs to heal and flatten out. Which is why the lubricating drops are so important. The way I remember it, they remove about 12 microns/diopter. A human hair is about 100 microns in diameter. So any crinkling at all in the epithelium is going to suck.

Healing in the body can take a long time. If you got a bad scrape it would take at least a month for the scrape to go to scab and then fade out to new skin. This is my rationalisation so I don't worry myself too much.

Here's what I remember from others before:

- Mornings are better than afternoons and much better than evening.
    - Some days are good, some days not so good
    - Sunglasses as much as possible apparantly. UV is not good news.
    - Mistyness, haze and this bloody ghosting is normal. It's damn annoying though - it's like RTE with an aerial on VHF.

I get the impressions that 4 weeks is basically the minimum time for things to start getting better with higher prescrips taking longer. Keep the eyes moist - light sensitivity and starbursting are signs of dry eye. I find that after about 40 mins on this laptop my eyes start to complain and my vision starts blurring out. It's about that now....

thanks for that carveone. i'm getting my first eye done next tuesday. i can't remember if its lasek or lasik i'm getting done. they told me its the shortest procedure but the sorest.
    hopefully all will go well.

purcela wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a reason why LaserVision are so much cheaper than their competitors? The difference in pric seems quite substantial.

I'm seriously considering getting laser surgery asap because I have the money now and have a break from sports for a couple of months which is handy as otherwise I would have to take a few weeks off sport to get it done. Is LaserVision a good place to get it done or should I consider somewhere else. I was considering Wellington Eye Clinic but they do not offer a discount for my health insurance so I don't think it's affordable to go there. Is the Mater Private as dear as Wellington?
    i would just be happier getting it done in a hospital setting. i would be a bit wary of clinics offering cheap deals. i value my sight too much to take a risk.

the mater private prices vary depending on what procedure you are getting done obviously. my one is e1,535 per eye. oh i just looked at the appointment card. i am getting lasek done.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Thanks carveone and LAALA for detailing your experiences.

God, really bricking it now! I work on computers all day and have a fairly long commute so I am thinking it will be a nightmare post op. How do you manage driving? Is it especially bad at night?

I heard it could take up to 6 weeks to get perfect vision but didn't envisage all the problems you both are having.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Got mine done by him about 2 or 3 years ago, can't remember now. But it was fantastic, little if any pain immediately afterwards, the most uncomfortable thing was getting the eye clamped at the start but afterwards I didn't need to use any of the pain killers they give you. Eyes are great now, one thing may be that my night vision has suffered slight, i.e. in the pitch black, but that was to be expected.

Advertisement